Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Downfall of Pride [Jadd]

Started by Zero, September 13, 2019, 05:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Was it really possible to be filled with righteous indignation while one was dying? You would have to assume if a being were truly dying they would be too preoccupied with more pressing matters than feeling insulted and humiliated. Ketu was choosing to assume that his level of outrage was indicative that, no matter how badly wounded and battered his body was, death was not imminent. The alternative was positively unacceptable. As a dragon his destiny was clearly something far greater than dying young before he had managed to achieve any true greatness.

Future greatness aside, Ketu focused on his walk of shame, although it was more of a limp and stumble, much to his aggravation. Each step was punctuated with a soft chorus of distressed grumbles.  He could barely let his left foreleg touch the ground without a lancing pain shooting all the way through the limb, and putting weight on it was simply out of the question. Numerous sets of gashes, clearly caused by claws, were scattered across his body, a particularly deep slash across the outside of his right hind leg was producing a steady stream of blood. The rest were not as deep and they only slowly oozed blood that eventually dripped onto the earth of The Thunderblacks.

A screech split the air and a shadow zipped past him, causing Ketu to jerk his head up and nervously scan the sky. The victor of the territory dispute was apparently surveying his prize. He tried to move faster, not wishing to give the other dragon reason to attack him again. As badly wounded as he was he knew he probably would not survive another fight just then. It galled him, but wounded pride was better than dead, so he limped away as quickly as he was able.

Ketu lost track of time, and with each pained step his ego grew less important. The farther from the bloodstained battleground he moved the less important his loss seemed next to his survival. He did not enough know how far he managed to flee. It was undoubtedly still The Thunderblacks, but the young dragon did not know this place. He could not recognize any landmarks when he did manage the energy to raise his head. Raising his head actually took great effort by that point and his foreleg could no longer even touch the ground without causing unbearable pain – even the small movements caused by his labored gait were almost too much to endure. His badly damaged rear limb was being half-dragged, barely able to press on, and then suddenly taking even one more step seemed impossible.

No amount of pride could have kept Ketu on his feet, the dragon collapsed heavily, body trembling as his breath came out in ragged pants. He let himself rest for a few moments before forcing himself to crawl towards the shelter of some large boulders. It would be hard for other dragons to see him in his vulnerable condition if he hid in the shadows of the great rocks. He could stay even more hidden if his form was smaller and of a less interesting shape. It took the last of Ketu's energy to summon enough magic to shift his form from that of a dragon to a human.

Most dragons would pay little mind to an injured human. Ketu tried to position himself in the least painful way that he could manage before closing his eyes wearily. All he needed was some rest; he would heal given enough time. He did not even consider how such a heavily injured man laying naked next to some large rocks might look to beings that were not dragons. Such thoughts were hardly his concern as he lost consciousness.

JaddWard

Katlynn laid awake in her little hammock, strung across an unused corner of her cabin listening to the early morning birdsong. "Guess last night's storm didn't want to stay for breakfast..." it had been a hell of a thing too, forming suddenly just a few dozen miles a way and growing in intensity as the evening progressed, she'd barely had enough time to secure all of her random assorted things that clustered her homestead before it started raining.

Rolling out of the hammock, Rush landed with catlike grace, her feet barely registering an impact on the ground. Grabbing up two thin cut logs from the woodpile next to her hammock and tossed them toward the glowing coals of her fireplace. Oddly enough, they fell incredibly slowly- landing with a barely audible crunch as they settled. Once those started to catch she'd toss some more on, get the cooking pot warm again. "Let's see, last night was supposed to be the full moon, so my meal rice should be ready for dehusking.." she said to no one in particular, "The rain will have stirred the mud in the rice patties, so that frees up some time, just need to make sure the flow streams aren't blocked."

She continued to talk her way through her mental checklist of what she needed to do today as she went about her morning routine. It was something she'd just started doing to alleviate the loneliness of living and training out in the Thunderbacks, waiting for the day her papa would return to help her further her training. She went about preparing herself a light breakfast of a few eggs and some rice porridge, she'd need to go hunting soon- her supply of smoked meat was far too low to use any for breakfast.

The sun had maybe been in the sky for less than an hour by time the young fox girl left the cabin in the mountains, taking in some of that fresh early morning air- feeling all the more raw from the storm the night before, she loved it, the cooling morning air contrasted in wonderful and weird way with the warming rays of the rising sun on her bare skin. Who needs clothes when you haven't seen another person in more than five year- made for one less chore to do. "Let's see, since I don't have to agitate the rice patties, I can squeeze in a few more hours of control training, or I can go back over those arcane textbooks papa left." She slowly turned back to face the house, thinking about the stack of textbooks in her unused bedroom- then turned back towards her rocky flat that she used for training, a break in the trees a little ways away from her homestead and rice patties.

The training flats wasn't much to look at, about three hundred meters across from one treeline to the other, with a sheer cliff face bordering one side and a sheer drop off the other, forming a sort of natural shelf. When she was younger, Rush had called this area the giant's stairwell, on account of another cliff shelf about a hundred meters above and below the one she trained on. There were mounds of stones located at various points all around the flat, ranging in sized from a pile of pea pebbles to a massive stack of boulders. The training she did here was all about finesse and control, flexing the mental prowess of her ability rather than the raw power of it.

Katlynn Rush, had an innate control over gravity, and was part of the reason her papa adopted her, and entirely the reason she lived out here as a hermit- far removed from the world and those who would abuse her power, to train and become more versed in controlling her own ability. Her papa had left to find out any information he could about her power, apparently he was a mage of some rapport, and had connections to magical archives, that had been five years ago. As she moved to a pile of rocks each roughly the size of her head, her hand flexed, a mandala of white power forming in the air in front of it as the stones in front of her began to lift into the air, a warm up before moving to the boulders.

Focusing on each other Rock in turn, she began shifting their individual gravity so the rocks started to orbit her, stepping towards the center of the field, the rocks moved from a singular orbit to a variety of unique orbits, some going the counter-direction as they each started to move independently of each other. seven stones in all, orbiting and never making contact with each other or the ground- Katlynn looked like the center of a fox tailed cosmos doing this. She'd gotten particularly good with this set, the boulders had enough weight to them to test her, but not so heavy that their own gravitational momentum made them impossible to control at higher speeds. The boulders? That was her current training set, the next challenge. Thankfully she'd only found five of useful size and roundness to use for this orbit training- she couldn't go nearly as fast with them- and they still occasionally struck each other.

After a few minutes without a single set of stones cracking together, she maneuvered them back to their pile, and looked over to the five massive boulders, sighing as she started to move forwards. She'd been unable to get all five to orbit her independently for nearly seven months now, she felt like she was just banging her head against a wall at this point. Because of their size, she had to push the orbits further out- which made them harder to control. Even at crawling speeds, these boulders still struck against each other or shifted to strike the ground.

As she moved closer, both her hands flexed- the rings of energy forming in front of them as she laid down an area of negated gravity over the boulders, slowly they started to rise up into the air- slowly she started to pull them away, taking a hold of each and pulling them out of the weightless area. That's when she saw it. The naked body- beaten bruised and all cut up body. Her mind jolted as she took in the sight. She went to let out a scream, but as she did- she realized that the boulders, and the body, were dropping. Her hand snapped out, applying several lashings to the boulder which then launched away from the body it was about to crush, her other hand snaked out, mentally grabbing the body's gravity and pulling it away from the falling boulders, keeping it off the ground. She was perhaps not as gentle as she could have been- but the groan of pain as the body careened through the air told her that whoever this stranger was, they were alive.

She reached out to slow him- very clearly a him to Katlynn's embarrassment -constantly shifting the way his gravity flowed to keep him above the ground. It was incredibly difficult- so much more so than keeping boulders aloft. His unconscious weight kept shifting, changing the way his body wanted to fall. It was incredibly awkward, but she quickly started to get a feel for it, shakily but gently setting him on the group. "Gods be damned man, just what the hell were you doing there?" she asked the unconscious man, as if he'd just suddenly wake up and answer her.

She kinda just, plopped onto the ground, still looking at the very severely unconscious man. "What the fuck even happened to you, you look like you tried to fight a bear.. Why are you naked?!" it was only then that she realized that, for one, she was starting to get a little hysterical, she needed to calm down and assess the situation, and perhaps his condition. Who even knew if she could do anything for him? For two, she herself was in fact, naked. "Oh gods damnit, if I'm going to be taking care of you mister 'crawls under some boulders to die' I guess I have to start wearing clothes again. There goes some of my free time to laundry.."

She couldn't just leave him out here to die, especially not after she'd just saved him from being crushed by a boulder. But she could already tell that she was substantially in over her head here. Her knowledge of treating and mending a person was remedial at best- mostly tending to her own bruises and scrapes, the rare broken bone.. Maybe one of her papa's books in his collection detailed how to heal someone? She had to try, so stood back up and gave the unknown man a once over- strictly to examine his injuries. Clearly several broken ribs, that leg was basically mangled- had he come all the way out here on it? She was days of hiking from the nearest town. He was covered in lacerations, some of which had started bleeding again when she'd mentally pulled him awkwardly through the air.

"I'm going to do my best to save your life stranger, in return, when you recover, tell me stories to break the monotony of this place. How you ended up here. Who you are." When the body didn't respond, she flexed her hands, both of them moving to enact her power on him, as gently as possible, he lifted from the ground and she slowly moved her back to her cabin- thankfully, there was one unused room available while her papa was away.

Papa's collection had included such a book! A very thick, leather bound thing without any sort of inscription or title, but the front of it was branded with the likeness of an Ouroboros with a triskelion at it's center. It was the third book she opened to see what it was, come to find out it was a very dense tome that read like it had been stolen from a university that specialized in mundane healing. Complete with sketches and diagrams. She'd taken the first hour after finding it skimming for information on how to treat her surprise guest, taken the next hour to follow it's instructions and pray they worked, and had spent the hours since sitting at papa's small desk reading over the book- starting with the first page. She decided to call this tome the Ouroborucus, because it sounded cool and there wasn't anything to indicate a name besides- that she'd found anyway.

Papa's books had been... off limits to her, papa had said that she could read them once he returned. But... this had been an emergency! And papa had been gone for five years at this point! And she'd already read all the other books papa had left for her studies many many times over. At least, that's how she'd justify it to her papa if he walked through the door right now. She looked away from the book to the bookshelf of her papa's books, all manner of strange things from all over the world. It was a small collection, and now that she'd started with Ouroborucus, she knew there was no helping it- she'd read the rest of the books there before the year was out.

Looking from the bookshelf to her guest- his leg in a splint, salve patches on most of his larger cuts- she hoped she wouldn't have to stitch him, and a different salve just plastered over his chest, he looked at least like he was resting easier than he had been. She made sure to stoke the fireplace in the main room, so it was warming up in here to a comfortable degree. "I hope you wake up soon, I can only do so much for you like this. Sorry but I'm not kiss feeding you, I have some food ready for you for when you wake up though.."

Looking out the window, the sun was climbing higher into the sky, probably nearing noontime now. "I still need to dehusk the rice.. I'm going to move my stuff to the porch and dehusk out there. Call out for me if you wake up stranger!" She turned to leave, stopping to give him a lingering, worried look, wondering if she'd done enough to save him, before leaving the room and leaving the front door open.

Zero

If not for the fact that Ketu was a dragon, he might have succumbed to his injuries regardless of what care he was provided while unconscious. As it was, his dragon's resilience kept him breathing, one painful breath at a time. Whatever salves the girl had smeared on him did soothe his hurts, albeit only a slight improvement. All the dragon could do was sleep until he regained enough strength to pry his eyes open once again.

Eventually he did wake and was greeted with a setting not at all expected. There were walls, and he was lying in a nest of some fashion. Ketu thought the humans called them beds. Was he inside a human dwelling? That was a strange turn of fate. Tentatively he tested his limps one by one, and scowled with displeasure at the splint hampering his leg's movement. Although given how harshly the leg throbbed in protest at his attempts he might have to admit that the device was a necessity. He tried to twist his head to observe his badly abused body at another angle, but released a sharp hiss of pain.

Noted.

"Hello?" Ketu looked around once more, wondering where his generous host might be lurking.

JaddWard

Rice dehusked, husks set aside for fire started. Check. Mystery Man still sleeping? Yes. Cow milked? Check, separated into drinking stock and butter stuck. Mystery Man still sleeping? Yes. Butter Churned? Check. Both milk and butter set into Iceless for preservation. Mystery Man still sleeping? Yes. Periodic check on rice patties to make sure flow streams are working? Check. Finally managed to bag the stupid mallards that kept going after the rice stalks. Guess there was going to be some meat with tonight's dinner.

Katlynn had just finished dressing the four ducks and set them into the Iceless as well when she heard the call coming from her papa's old bedroom. The young woman paused, looking over to the door, hearing the sound of movement on the bed within. Slowly, she replaced the stone lid of the magical cooling box and crept across the main room of the cabin, eventually peering around the corner of the door frame to see the man, her ears curiously pointed forwards. Why was she so shy all of a sudden? "I was beginning to think you'd never wake up. I have medicine if you're in pain, and I'll be starting dinner in a little bit. How hungry are you? I have some dried meat if you need something now. How do you feel?"

She hadn't even fully stepped around the door, instead just her bright yellow eyes and ears were visible. She was suddenly very aware of the fact that she'd just brought someone into her home that she knew nothing about. They could be a powerful mage like papa, and suddenly every warning her papa had given her came flashing into her mind, followed by every brief glimpse of her papa's power. "You were nearly dead when I found you, honestly that you're awake at all is remarkable."