Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Throwback Mountains

Started by ladyhawkca, January 24, 2020, 10:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladyhawkca

Zantaric had been, and in itself was a mistake, a huge mistake; and even now, with many days and countless miles between her and the township, Freya still regretted ever having travelled there.

The stories she had been told as a child about Zantaric were nowhere near the truth. It wasn't just a place of "sin"; it was a morbidly fascinating place of "sin" where one could easily lose their life or find themselves in hot water for asking the wrong questions, or for simply staring for too long at someone.

Freya had, like others before her, found out the hard way about candidly asking strangers too many questions, and had barely escaped the town with only a badly slashed arm, a ripped cloak, and a sore and very bruised side.

Moreover, the young witch had not stopped walking since she left town, making her way slowly up the mountains until she was sure she was a good distance away from Zantaric, and then, suddenly, when she figured she was at a safe distance, had simply collapsed from pure exhaustion.

Now, days later, with her arm bandaged as best she could, Freya, still sore and weary, continued through the mountains, walking only during the day and making camp at night, careful to stay away from the main roads until she was better.

In fact, the strange yet familiar pull she felt and had been feeling during the last few hours of the day had Freya wary about what she might find when she found it, to the point that she had a firm grip on her walking stick and was ready to use it to defend herself if she had to.

@Max!!

Max!!

Axindr's stomach growled, and he growled in response. He'd been travelling for... he'd lost count of the days now but it was mostly fine. He was almost out of rations, but the area he was traveling in definitely had some prime food sources. He just wanted some meat, and not the dried meat he'd been eating. Like a deer, or a boar... something big and gamey. Maybe he'd come across a bear.

The young dragon's wings drooped, and his long sturdy tail dragging behind him. He groaned and stopped for a moment. He heard some rustling in some bushes nearby. Axindr squinted waiting with anticipation. And then Out sprung a rabbit. Axindr spat a ball of fire at it without any second thoughts or hesitation.

The fireball impacted and killed the rodent. He grinned, moving over to the charred corpse. He retrieved his meal. and proceeded to exhale fire on it, cooking it more thoroughly. Then dug in as he continued onward. He could hear someone nearby. A single person, who would be stupid enough? Well plenty of people travelled, but not a lot of people were as strong as he was.

After a moment of internal debating Axindr decided to see who the person was. He moved quickly, skidding to a stop when he discovered the figure. A woman, injured, tired looking, weird. But he couldn't smell anyone else around. Could be bait set by bandits. They may have a mage or someone that could mask their presence. He hated traps, and bandits. The best way to stop a trap though was to spring it. It's not like they'd know what they were dealing with if this was a trap.

"Hey! You Stick woman! What are you doing?" he was probably a bit to aggressive with that opening. Plus he was holding a half eaten bunny carcass. He remembered this, and took a couple more bites.

@Zora

ladyhawkca

"Stick woman?!" Freya sputtered indignantly and in surprise when the young and strange-looking redheaded man suddenly appeared from between an opening in the woods munching away on, what appeared to be, a very singed and half-cooked rabbit.

"I'll give you a stick, you ... you... demon," Freya replied angrily as she pointed and waved her walking stick at him.

"Stay away from me, or I'll wack you," she threatened, taking a step backward.

Max!!

Axindr wrinkled his nose in disgust. A demon... he most certainly wasn't a demon. He was a dragon, and a handsome one at that.

"I am not a demon. I'm a dragon, big huge difference. Your weak little human stick is nothing to me, the great Axindr Phyris!" he struck a somewhat dramatic pose as he said it. Still grasping his rabbit. "And I asked you a question."

ladyhawkca

At that Freya peered at the so-called "dragon", moving a tad closer with her stick pointed at Axindir.

"You don't look like a dragon to me," she stated accusingly. "All I see is a big ole demon with a half-cooked rabbit in his mouth," she said, wrinkling her nose at the undercooked rabbit bit, as she got close enough to get a better look at him, noting now the horns and wings.

"And it's really none of your business what I'm doing... " she remarked bristling at his attitude. "But if you must know... I'm looking for something, something sacred," she stated rather defensively as she eyed the "demon" suspiciously.

Max!!

"Well congratulations!" he took another bite. "You're wrong."

"What kinda sacred thing? There's nothing around here," he moved closer and just took the other end of the stick with his free hand. "I'm just following the road to the next town. And then I smelled a person."

ladyhawkca

As soon as Axindr grabbed the stick she was pointing at him, Freya's eyes went wide with surprise when she felt an almost immediate reaction. It was almost like a warm and gentle electrical charge.

"It's you!" she stated almost accusingly as she tugged back on the stick, her violet eyes narrowing as she glared at him.

"B-but why?!" she asked him very incredulously. "What type of dragon are you anyways?" she demanded.

Max!!

And then things got weird. The woman seemed to just switch gears almost immediately. He was the sacred thing? What the hell did that mean? He wasn't letting go of the stick despite her tugging. She must have been some kind of mage or something. "Wow you're kind of a weirdo aren't you? I'm a really cool dragon, plain and simple."

"Definitely not sacred, more like... powerful. Because I'm a dragon."

ladyhawkca

"I'm a witch, not a weirdo, you weirdo..."Freya snarked back as she tugged on her stick trying to get it back. Fully aware also that her come back was not the greatest.

"And okay, maybe you are not sacred, but you are definitely not just "a cool dragon" either," she stated heatedly as she looked at Axindr, trying to read him better as they continued their tug-a-war.

"Are you some sort of magical creature? Can you use magic at all?" she half-asked, half-demanded.

Max!!

"You're a weird witch who answered her own question is what you are," he said flatly. He still maintained a firm grip on the stick he wasn't even really budging, just sort of watching her struggle to take her makeshift weapon back. "If you can sense magic coming from me then I guess I must be magical then huh?"

He released the stick, likely causing her to stumble back a bit. He shook his head. "I'm amazed you're even alive. Shouldn't you have a proper wand or something? Out here alone while being a woman? Stick's not gonna protect you from the real monsters," he dug into his pack and produced a sheathed dagger and tossed it on the ground next to her. "I'd invest in some proper steel when you reach the next town if I were you."

ladyhawkca

Not prepared for him to suddenly let go of the stick, Freya flailed a bit as she staggered back a few feet, trying to keep her balance. Wincing as her side send shots of pain at her effort not to fall, Freya glared again at Axindr.

"I'm not a weirdo," she insisted resentfully. "And for all, I know you could be wearing a sacred talisman or have a charm hidden away somewhere on you," she explained stiffly as she watched Axindr throw a dagger at her feet.

"Not all witches use wands, you know," Freya remarked coolly as she glanced down at the dagger.

"And I'm fine.. the worst monsters I've encountered so far are other humans," she told him as she begrudgingly bent over and picked up the weapon, biting back the shooting pain in her side as she did so.

Max!!

"Your arm doesn't look fine for someone who can handle themselves," he said, pointing at her wounded arm. "I'd say you got off pretty easy when you consider the possibilities."

"Because you're definitely easy pickings the way you are now. Or are you actually stronger than you look?" he squinted at her again. Then he shrugged and turned to walk away. "Well I guess it's not my problem. Time to head to the next town. It can't be that far off..."

ladyhawkca

"Yeah, well, I was attacked by a group of men who thought the very same thing," Freya sniffed as she pulled her cape around her tightly.

"A stick used properly is just as good as a sword sometimes," she told him rather defensively as she tried to hide the fact that she was still quite shaken by the event, and that, Freya chalked up her escape to luck rather than any great skill with the pole.

"The closest town is Zantaric," she remarked hesitantly as she sat down on a boulder and looked at Axindr clearly concerned now as she struggled with herself whether to warn him or not.

"It's just down the mountain, maybe 10, 12 miles..." she explained as she rubbed her arm unconsciously. "And, uh, I'd be careful if I were you. Don't ask too many questions and keep your head down." she offered up wearily. "It's not a very friendly place."

Max!!

Axindr gave her a look, what tavern did she pick up that line in? He shook his head, it still sounded like dumb luck to him. They might still be looking for her. He sighed then looked at the rabbit carcass puffing a breath of fire onto it. Without a second thought he scarfed it down and looked at her.

"Well Stick Mistress, Witch of Wonders twelve miles is a long walk so we'd better get moving," he sighed. "I was raised by a band of mercenaries so I'm used to rough. Those guys might still be looking for you too so it's better to keep moving."

ladyhawkca

"Don't call me that, please... It's Freya," she countered shooting Axindr a look when he called her Stick Mistress.

"And thank you," she told him rather begrudgingly as she got to her feet and straightened her clothes a little. "I appreciate this," she admitted uncomfortably as she began to realize how woefully inadequate her survival skills were right now, especially if her attackers did come looking for her.

Max!!

"Eh, I didn't do nothing," he frowned and looked away. This was just weird now, was he making a friend? He couldn't tell. Frankly a lot happened in the short exchange, and it was a lot to process. Looked like they were travelling together at least until the next town. Who knew what kind of trouble they'd run into once they got there.

"We can rest when we get there," he said after a moment's pause. Then he just started walking.

ladyhawkca

Freya didn't quite know what else to say, and so she just picked up her walking stick and very reluctantly followed Axindir back the way she had come. She really did not want to go back to Zantaric, even the mere thought of the place made her feel panicky, but she also didn't want to be left alone either.

After a good three, maybe four hours of walking together through the forest and back down the mountain path, Freya began to notice that the day was beginning to set and that they were drawing closer to the village.

"Axindr?"Freya said quietly and uneasily as she glanced around them, her palms sweaty. "Zantaric is just beyond that stone bridge," she said as she gripped her stick tightly, her knuckles turning white.

"Are you really sure you still want to go there?" she asked him hesitantly.

Max!!

"Yeah? What do I have to be scared of? I'm a dragon, I'm sure of everything I do," he said it without a second thought. His tail was whipping behind him as he began to cross the bridge. Things would be fine even if it got a little dicey. His old group would stop in places like this sometimes on their way to bigger cities. Maybe he could find a job while he was here, make some money.

Axindr adjusted his pack as he pressed forward to Zantaric. "Don't be so nervous, you'll be fine. You're with me this time."

ladyhawkca

Freya was going to state that she wasn't nervous, but immediately bit back her words when Axindr started crossing the bridge toward the village.

"Wait up," she called out as she hurried to cross the bridge, wanting to stay close to Axindr. Freya had no idea if he really was a dragon or just a demon, however, at this moment, she didn't care at all. All she knew was that he wasn't afraid and she felt safe around him.

"There are two guards up ahead," Freya whispered rather urgently as she caught up to him and pulled her hood around her face, hiding her features in case she was somehow recognized. 

"Do you have any coin on you?" she asked as she started digging out a pouch she had hidden in the folds of her skirt.

Max!!

"Don't tell me you're a broke stick witch too..." he sighed and pulled out a coin purse. Spending money went against all of his draconic instincts, but it was also a necessary evil if one wanted to live in society. The young dragon was actually disgustingly frugal. He did notice however Freya was making an attempt to hide her face.

"Just stick close and don't talk," he grumbled back. "Evening grind huh? Must be pretty dull around here. My companion and I were looking for some lodgings, we're just passing through."

He tossed each of them gold coins, and not just simple currency, these had real value. Hopefully enough to grease the wheels of a couple underpaid and probably corrupt guards.