Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Who Needs a Feather Bed? (Kada!)

Started by JackieCat, January 28, 2020, 10:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackieCat

In fact, Flordia had spent much of the day watching Burton and all the other people on the vessel.

Burton seemed to be very adept at tailoring his mannerisms perfectly for whoever he seemed to be interacting with at any given moment, and it was actually quite entertaining to watch him.

Flordia also watched the other people on the ship, especially the crew members as they climbed the rigging.  It looked incredibly fun, and also somewhat terrifying.

Despite her interest in the happenings of the ship, Flordia's mind had been working all afternoon, trying to come up with the perfect question for Burton.  She knew he loved to play games, so she needed a question he couldn't skirt around.  Flordia had grown up in a castle, surrounded by people who wanted nothing more than to get one rung higher in the social ladder.  She knew people who could, and would, spin a deception so convincing without even telling a lie.  They used half-truths, glossed over facts, or just ignored questions altogether and answered a completely different one.
There were many ways to tell an untruth without telling a blatant lie, and Burton seemed exactly the kind of person to employ those tricks.

When she finally thought of a question, she took another hour to contemplate even asking it.  And when she finally made her decision, she found Burton whittling.

"I've come up with my question," she said, pulling one of the coins out of her pocket.  "Have you ever heard of Kilarhas or Faelis Gindien?"

The wording of the question was not ideal, it would be easy to twist an answer, but Flordia didn't know which of her brothers Burton was more likely to have heard of, if he had even heard of either of them.  She hadn't heard from them since they had left the castle over seven years ago.  For all she knew, they were living quiet lives as farmers.  But Faelis had left to search for adventure, and Kilarhas had been banished for starting a war against orders.  They were not the farming type.
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Kadakism

Burton had nearly whittled the rough shape of a fish out of his block of wood by the time that Flordia came to him with her question. He regarded her with a sideways half-smile, giving her a deliberately fake-sweet, "Good afternoon, little squirrel. I haven't seen you at all today. Having fun on the ship so far?"

And then she asked her question, pulling out one of the coins he had given her. Burton's hand moved quickly, snatching the coin deftly from between her fingers and rolling it across his knuckles as he considered her question.

His smile faded as he rolled those names around in his memory, a clear sign that he did at least think he knew something. Flipping the coin in the air, he caught it and looked at it in his hand briefly.

"Never encountered either in person, but I know Kilarhas by name from some old contacts who he was a thorn in the side of. Now..."

Burton's face slid effortlessly back into his usual self-assured smirk as he rolled the coin back between his knuckles and caught it between his thumb and index finger. "Same rule applies. You can have the coin, and consequently, a question back. But then I get to ask you... why do you want to know about, I assume, a pair of related squirrels?"

JackieCat

Flordia thought about it for a second, then held out her hand for the coin.

"Alright," she said. "They're relations of mine, and if I could find them they might be willing to help me."

She had started to spin a story for herself over the last few hours.  A history that would hep her answer any questions someone might have for her.  She decided to make it close to the truth, but not quite.  A story that was half true would be easier to maintain than a flat out lie.

She thought of another question, and dropped her hand before Burton could give her the coin back.  "I have another question," she said. "If I were, hypothetically, to be able to hire you to help me find one of them, would you be able to?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Kadakism

Burton immediately clenched his fist back around the coin as Flordia asked her next question. He was grinning now, showing his upper teeth a bit. She was playing the game. The naive fell into it so easily.

"I could, and I would. I can't guarantee how long it would take, but as long as the coin was good and steady, I'd commit myself to the task as I do anything else. On my hypothetical honor."

JackieCat

And so Flordia threw caution to the winds.  She could hire him to help her, or she could hire some other character she came across.  Someone else who she had just met, who she knew just as little about.  She knew that once she got off this ship, she would be just as oblivious about the world as she was now.  Looking around for someone to help her would not only be challenging, as she had no idea where to look, but she knew that the longer she was on her own, the more likely something bad was going to happen to her.

At least with Burton there would be someone there, even if he was just there for her money.

"Okay," Flordia said, standing up straight and looking Burton in the eye.  "I would like to hire you, Mr. Lamont, to help me find either Faelis or Kilarhas Gindien.  Whichever is easier to find, or we come across first."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Kadakism

Burton's grin widened into a distinctly wolfish kind of expression, his eyes practically sparkling when Flordia said that she would hire him.

"And what are you going to pay me with, little squirrel? Do you have any more baubles you found before you ran away from home?"

Standing back up fully, putting his half finished whittled fish back into one of the pockets on his coat, Burton made a half step to close the gap between the two of them.

JackieCat

Flordia's heart skipped a beat as he took a step forward, but she held her ground.  She set her jaw and kept eye contact with him, despite the fact that she was itching to back away from that smile.

"I do have something else," she said, pointedly ignoring the 'ran away from home' bit, and she reached into her pocket, pulling out the second ring.  Flordia didn't know the exact value but she knew that this one was far more valuable than the first.  A small emerald sat nestled among three smaller diamonds, the stones set into the silver band.

She held it out for Burton to see.  "I think that this will suffice."

It occurred to Flordia that, yes, he could just get the ring and then take off as soon as they got to port, but, then again, anyone she tried to hire could do that.  She had to at least hope he would keep his word.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Kadakism

"It's a start," Burton said, snagging the ring and inspecting it closely. You're going to have to tell me where you actually got these one day."

Pocketing the ring, Burton straightened his coat and let his wolfish grin diminish slightly. "But first thing's first. I need to know what these squirrels look like. What they can do. Why they're traipsing all over Le'ranna. Information, basically. I can't work without it."

JackieCat

Flordia nodded, pursing her lips as she thought.  She knew nothing of her brothers whereabouts or current professions, but she knew what they looked like, their general mannerisms, and what they had wanted when they had lived in the castle.

Flordia described both of her bothers' appearances to Burton. 

"I haven't seen them in many years ," she said. "But Faelis has always been a. . . colorful character.  He always talked about finding adventure, and he was always getting into trouble.
"Kilarhas was less intentionally chaotic, but he couldn't keep his nose out of something if he thought something unjust was happening.  He always talked about doing good.  Changing the world, I guess.  They're both trained to fight, both with weapons and without.  Kilarhas has magic, and Faelis was good with his knives.  I don't think either of them would be able to keep a low profile.  They're kind of magnets for trouble."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Kadakism

Burton pursed his lips, then chewed on the inside of his cheek as he considered the information that Flordia had given him. "Alright," he said finally with a nod. "Not a lot, but I can work with it. Especially if they're using their real names."

"Once we make landfall, I'll put out feelers among people who might know. But that kind of information brokering probably won't come cheap."

He grinned a bit, leaning back against the ship's railing. "Though that does beg a question for you, little squirrel. How dirty are you willing to get your hands to find your kin?"

JackieCat

Getting information wouldn't be cheap, he'd said.  She hoped he wasn't trying to get more money from her.  She didn't know how much her jewelry was worth, but she didn't want him to know that.  For all she knew, that ring was way too valuable to be pawning for someone to help her find her brothers, but if Burton knew she was virtually clueless to their worth, he may try to get more from her.

Flordia frowned at his question.  Getting her hands dirty?  She wasn't quite sure what he meant by that.

"I'm not willing to get anyone killed, if that's what you're insinuating," the young elf said, crossing her arms over her chest.  "I'm sure we can find them without hurting anybody."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Kadakism

"You continue to be adorable, little squirrel. Alright. Well we'll try it your way. But that means that every person we have to pay off, every inn we have to stay at, that's up to you to figure out. Or I can handle it and just add it all to my fee."

He smirked and pulled his whittled fish back out to continue working on it.

"Word of warning though. You're my employer now, so if anyone fucks with you, they're also fucking with me. And I won't tolerate anyone fucking with me."

JackieCat

Well, he meant business.

"I've never hired someone like you before for a job like this." It was obvious. "And while I'm sure you have a lot of experience with this sort of thing, since I don't, I think we should play it by ear, at least in the beginning.  Maybe finding them will be easier than we think."

The young elf hoped so.  She didn't want to get into anything too dangerous.  Of course, simply leaving the castle had been dangerous, and hiring Burton seemed like it wasn't going to be the most tranquil of ventures, but she knew she was already in way over her head.  She didn't want to add any more difficulties to that.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Kadakism

"Oh I can tell, Flordia. You're as wet behind the ears as a newborn calf and half as capable. But as long as you stick with me, you at least won't die on your way to finding your kin."

He didn't promise comfort or anything like that, because he wasn't going to ensure that. Burton had already decided, in the back of his kind, that this girl was going to toughen up whether she wanted to or not. He gave it two weeks ashore before he had to gut someone for her safety.

"Now go on. Get yourself some food and leave me alone for now. I've got better things to do than gab with you all day."

[Figured we might wanna keep up the time skip thing so we're not doing all of the interactions on day one. I can change it though if you want.]

JackieCat

OOC: Sounds good to me!  Sorry for the late reply  :P  I also added below that their journey will take bit longer than a week, if that's too short or long, I can change it.
________________________________________________________________________________

Flordia spent the rest of the day exploring the ship, and listening in on the conversations of the other passengers and crew members.

She learned that the voyage would take a little longer than a week, and several more personal things about the other people who were on the vessel.  The other passengers weren't all that rich, though there were a few that were somewhat well-off.  Flordia realized how silly their problems, and her problems, sounded right after she'd heard a haggard man talking about how he had left his wife and four children to find work.

But she still was worried about what she was going to do. Finding her brothers was probably not going to be easy, and Burton made it sound like it could be quite dangerous.  Needless to say, she did not sleep well that night.
----
The next morning Flordia woke early, but when she went up on deck the sailors were already up.  She supposed at least a few of them had to stay up through the night.

She sat down on a large pile of rope and scanned the deck, wondering where Burton was.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Kadakism

As the sun rose, the ship was abuzz with activity as most of the passengers also began to stir and get ready for the day. Breakfast was being prepared for them down below, and the smells of cooking wafted up through the ship.

As for Burton, he was dead asleep until the last possible moment when a member of the crew knocked on his cabin door to wake him. He shuffled his way up to the dining area only half dressed, wearing his night shirt and belt with a dagger sheathed into it.

The other passengers gave him varying degrees of regard, with most ignoring or silently judging his disheveled appearance and the couple he had been wooing the day before just kind of staring at him in inscrutable awe. By far the most astonishing thing without the benefit of the coverage his full clothes offered was just how many scars he had. Dozens of obvious stabs, burns, and lacerations all over his arms and legs. A lifetime of violence.

Practically melting into a seat, he gestured for one of the crew serving breakfast to pour him some wine, despite how early in the day it was. Bleary-eyed as he was, he still carried that air of absolute confidence about him as he lounged and sipped his drink, watching everyone with the smuggest of smirks.

JackieCat

Flordia didn't find Burton until breakfast was served an hour or so after she had woken.  She had eaten the food Burton had given her the day before, but she was still very hungry.

When the crew member announced that breakfast was being served below decks, Flordia was on her way before the man had even finished speaking.

She saw Burton across the table, and gasped upon seeing his scars.  She assumed the man would have some, from the life he seemed to live, it wasn't unreasonable to think that he would attain such injuries, but Flordia was aghast at how many of the marks marred his skin.

She slipped into the seat next to him, much to chagrin of a well-dressed woman who had been about to to sit down.

"Good morning," the young elf said to the man.  She was eyeing his scars.  She very much wanted to ask him about them, but she supposed it would be very rude.

Then she remembered that she was no longer a princess.  There was no reason to stand on ceremony anymore.  And Burton was going to be helping her find her brothers, she may as well get to know him.  The more she got to know him, the better she would be able to get a sense of what sort of man he was, and exactly how much she should trust him.

"You have a lot of scars," she stated. "Why?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Kadakism

Burton hid his sneer when Flordia blocked the well to do young lady who had meant to sit with him from doing so, and instead opted to give the woman a wink and blow her a kiss. He mouthed the word 'later' before turning his attention to his new employer.

"That, my little squirrel, sounds like a coin question does it not?" He already had his hand held out expectantly as he took a long, rather uncouth sip of wine from his glass. And then he pulled it back, closing his fist without taking a coin. Leaning forward, Burton whispered conspiratorially to her.

"I don't play nice with others, Flordia. These scars are proof that of all the times someone's tried to kill me, they've failed. And I've had a lot of people try to kill me. Hazards of my lifestyle, you see."

JackieCat

Flordia had pulled out a coin, but when he withdrew his hand she set it on the table in front of her.

His words didn't surprise her, but they made her nervous all the same.

"Then you must be adept at avoiding death," Flordia said. "But so many have tried to kill you.  That must mean there is a pretty big target on your back.  If you attract unwanted attention I have little doubt you could protect yourself, but can you, or rather, will you, be able to protect me?"

She had already given him the ring as payment, there really was no turning back now, but she may as well know as much as she could about what she was getting into, and who with.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Kadakism

"I can protect you, aye," he said, his voice still low as he picked at the meat that had been put on his plate while they had talked. Burton tugged at his lip as if in thought and flashed a grin at Flordia. "You saw only one of my little tricks before the ship left harbor. I've got plenty up my sleeve that folks don't know about."

"And as for a target on my back," he continued with a shrug and a gesture to the crewman to refill his wine. "I've only got one, and frankly I don't have to worry about it. Bastard's long since given up on finding me. Savvy?"