Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

When the Bough Breaks (Open)

Started by Hyacinthus, October 13, 2020, 10:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hyacinthus

In the wild, wolves are typically considered pack animals. They follow a leader, oftentimes the strongest, most aggressive of the group, and where one wolf strikes, the rest are sure to follow. It's only natural that the average adventurer—  or even normal passersby on an off-beaten trail—  might avoid such creatures, as a pack of wolves might spell the end of someone's short-enough life. Alas, not everyone is so fortunate as to have the choice of when—  or where—  they decide to roam... or show up.

Deep within the Draconi Forest, far off of the unbeaten path, an echo shuttered through the land. An unnatural pulse—  as if the air itself was forcibly ripped in two, and thereafter forced to fill the void caused as such. At a distance, perhaps that's all that one might be able to make of it—  Yet closer to ground zero of the incident, one could make out a much graver, far more ominous scene. The air itself had indeed been 'ripped apart', one could say... A dark gate, absolute black in appearance from all angles, taking its place. It was a void unlike anything natural, or ordained of this realm—  And from it's gaping maw, a body slowly, yet surely fell to the ground.

It was a woman—  Blonde hair, with fair, yet deathly pale skin, adorned in vaguely Thanati attire. The darkness of the void spit out her seemingly lifeless body like tar releasing a trapped animal, and in the moment she dropped to the floor, the void vanished, with yet another unnatural 'boom', which echoed through the forest. The body was left alone for a time, the silence of the disturbed forest surrounding it... before it twitched. The 'body' was alive... albeit barely. A slow, weak rise and fall of the woman's chest all but confirmed this. Slowly, almost unwillingly, deep azure eyes opened—  just enough to catch a glimpse of the world around her.

It was... green. That was nice. Green was a much nicer color than the world she'd spent so much time in thus far. Emerald blades of grass, bright yellow flowers, beautiful oaken trees... It was all so nice. Even the low-toned growling she could hear approaching her was... preferable. Dogs...? No... Likely wolves. Many of them, she could only imagine, given the number of slow, methodical, pattering steps she could hear encircling her. As her eyes weakly glanced over to her side, she could even make contact with one—  the alpha, she had to assume, as it was closest, and most likely testing the waters to see if she was easy prey or not. Poor thing... it was probably starving. All of them likely were. Who could blame them for wanting to survive?

The woman couldn't. Nor could she resist the slowly encroaching darkness on her own vision, as her consciousness began to fade again. Letting her eyelids rest, she felt no fear as the pack of wolves at last decided she was 'safe' enough to approach, and gauge as a meal. If such was to be her fate, torn apart by wolves who merely wanted to survive... that wasn't such a bad ending. Perhaps this was the way she was meant to die. Perhaps, given what she had done... perhaps she deserved this.

Codex

"No.. This can't be right. I swear I've passed this tree three times already." The large bear grumbled to himself as he carefully observed his surroundings. Clad in thick, heavy, armor Kave easily stood out among the other creatures of the forest. Not to mention his shining white fur underneath that easily gave him away. Luckily he wasn't trying to be stealthy, not that he really could even if he wanted to anyways. Grunting he lowered a large pack on his back to the ground before rummaging through it, mumbling curses of irritance under his breath. Finally he pulled out a large piece of brown parchment that had been stuffed deep inside the bag. Pulling it out, he was careful to not let his sharp claws wreck the paper even more so than it already was. "O'fer fuck's sake..." was all that followed after a long minute of silence. "This ain't the right map..."

For three days Kave had been wandering the wilds, completely lost! He'd been following the wrong map, and as a result it took him deep within the Draconi forest when he was just trying to get back to Ketra. "Oi... The lad ain't gunna be happy 'bout this one, eh?" He grumbled to himself, dreading a future situation as he adjusted his large battle axe and continued on. However, something soon happened that made the large mercenary stop in his tracks. Something smelt... off. Kave's hears flicked up and his nose twitched, he could certainly smell the scent of wolves nearby. While normally he wouldn't feel concerned, seeing as most forest predators preferred to give the bear a wide berth, but it wasn't just wolves he smelt either, but the scent of a human caught his nose as well! That didn't bode well, with the amount of wolves he could smell that human seemed sorely outnumbered! Growling, the bear wasted no time! He wasn't going to let some poor soul get shredded by wolves! That and maybe whoever they were could give him some directions as well!

As the pack began to slowly close in on the lone woman the trees near the edge of the clearing shook! Kave in all his might charged out of the tree line to see the situation in full with his own eyes. It wasn't good! Some lady was all alone and those wolves were about to make their move! Grunting, he tensed up his muscles and called out! "Oi! Lass! Dun yer worry, I'll take care of these beasties!" The pack soon stopped in their tracks and turned on the bear, ignoring the woman for a moment as the sized up Kave. It was true that these wolves were starving, and Kave could sense it. It seemed as though they hadn't eaten for days and become desperate, which is why there was no look or scent of fear among them when they looked at the bear. "Aight... So that's how it gunna be, ain't it?" He growled as the pack moved away from the woman and began to circle Kave instead.

With one loud bark from the alpha, they charged in! Kave refrained from using his weapon, not wanting to cause unwanted bloodshed if he could help it, but that just meant this battle was going to be annoying! One leaped and went for his arm, biting into the steel armor as it tried to hold on while the others went for his legs. "Oi! This stuff 'ere ain't cheap ye mutt!" He growled, using his colossal strength to lift up his entire arm with the wolf still biting on it! "Go back ter yer mates!" He yelled, swinging his arm around and sending the wolf flying through the air straight into two of the others! It yelped in pain, but was mostly uninjured. Just then another leaped from a tall outcrop of rock onto Kave's back, trying to bite his neck! "Aye, persistent are ya!?" He grunted, swinging his other arm around just in time to grab the beast's snout before pulling him over and throwing the creature onto the ground in front of him! Kave felt a sting of pain surge through his leg however as one of the wolves caught him off guard! Biting a space between his armor. With his strength, he had little trouble shaking the beast off, but it still left a small wound on his ankle.

Kave let out a ferocious bear-like roar which caused the remaining wolves to hesitate a bit before the alpha charged in! He was a much bigger wolf than the others, and a lot more experienced as well it seemed! The alpha sprinted straight towards Kave and he got in a position, ready to take the charge head on. "Aight 'then, come at me!" He yelled just as the creature leaped through the air and tackled Kave to the ground! He wasn't expecting such strength from the beast, but it wasn't anything he couldn't handle! Kave used both heavy paws to keep the alpha's gnashing teeth away from his face before pushing the creature up and rolling over! He wasted no time, gripping the wolf's fur with both arms before lifting the barking dog and swinging him around! He threw the alpha straight past the other wolves and into the trunk of a large tree! It landed at the base before whimpering and getting back on its feet. The other wolves soon realized Kave was more trouble than he was worth and began to withdraw into the forest, the alpha soon following...

"Yeh... N'stay away ye nasty dogs." He breathed, watching the wolves fade away into the darkness of the forest leaving him and the fallen woman alone. Soon Kave's memory snapped him back to attention as he remembered what he had been doing and he turned to the woman. She had fallen over... That didn't look good. "Oi! Lassie, you aight?" He called out as he ran up to her. He took a knee over the woman and scanned her body, trying his best to gauge her health. She was breathing at least, so that was good. He gripped her shoulders lightly and turned her head to get a better look at her face. "The dangers passed fer now lass, are ye alright? You dun look great." He remarked, hoping she was fine.

Hyacinthus

~~~

"Liv? What brings you here?"

There were four bunnies. Or, hares? They were quite large things, near as big as a cat—  not your typical, tiny plainland hopper. Three boys, and one girl. She could tell by the difference in size—  The female vastly outweighed the males.  Olivia loved hares... or well, rabbits in general. They were so very cute and fluffy—  Not an aggressive bone in their body, it seemed. Most were actually quite nervous, even frightened of being in the vicinity of other, larger mammals, but these four didn't seem to mind her.

The several acres of land that her family owned were quite enjoyable in this regard—  In building their home, they didn't clear out the forested lands surrounding them, and so quite often Olivia found herself wandering deep into the treeline, enjoying the sounds of nature, and occasionally having the opportunity to watch some of the wildlife that inhabited the forest from a distance. Most commonly it was simple fauna—  small animals or herds which oftentimes kept to themselves. She could relate, honestly—  She didn't much enjoy being around people either. Sometimes she would doodle in a little notebook she kept with her while watching them, or practice her script hand—  Her mother was always quite adamant that a woman refines her script hand, after all.

Today was a bit unique, however, in that rather than coming to them, a bit of wildlife came to Olivia instead. It was honestly quite the shock—  She'd taken a break from her wanderings on a fallen tree, some few meters into the forestlands, and was enjoying the tranquil echoes of nearby birds moving from tree to tree, when this little family of rabbits, passing by, decided to stop and investigate her. Surely, they must have thought her odd, or out of place—  Yet they did not seem to fear her—  or at least, not enough to run away. The girl sat quiet, fascinated by their presence, as they would amusingly hop once or twice, look about, sniffing for goodness knows what with their cute little noses, before hopping a little closer.

They might have touched her shoes, had another presence—  very, very much not of this forest-- not startled them off.

"Oh... Hi Decius."

Olivia's somewhat mournful gaze turned from the fleeing rabbits, to the 'young man' who nowed peered down at her from over her shoulder. At a glance, he seemed human enough, actually—  Too human, one might say, as if looking at an idealized painting. His flawless, fair skin, long, rolling, gently-curled locks of the deepest, darkest black one might imagine, and entrancing golden eyes—  He was like something out of a romantic novel. Yet there was something so undeniably uncanny about him—  Something one untrained in the magical arts wouldn't be capable of identifying, yet would all the same know was there... Gnawing at the edges of their sanity. Olivia, however, knew what it was... and yet, with all the reason in the world to run, to deny this being any agency in her life, she...

"Mind if I sit with you?"

"N-no, I... would like that."

"Then I shall." He was a friendly sort, this Decius—  The smile he wore, eerily welcoming and warming, never left his face. His voice sounded of the lightest, richest honey—  Delectable and enveloping. He was a very attractive 'man', by any stretch of the imagination, and he postured himself as a lover would to their chosen betrothed—  Yet Olivia wasn't particularly bought in by his words, or his actions, or even his appearance. Perhaps she didn't believe herself worthy of such attention, or advances. Perhaps years of knowing him for what he truly was had disillusioned her to his physical ways. But as he gingerly sat himself next to her, and cozied himself close to her upon the fallen tree, Olivia could help but slowly, yet surely, lower her head to rest upon the man's well-defined shoulder, her the mournful gaze never leaving her eyes as she returned to quietly watching over the forests ahead of her.

He wasn't human. He wasn't even a being of this realm. But... he was warm. He was company. And Olivia sorely, sorely wanted for company.

~~~

"...now lass, are ye alright? You dun look great."

Olivia could only just make out a few words—  But they were certainly words. Human words, gruff as they might have sounded. The world, and her senses besides, began to return to her, as the fog of her mind cleared, and her consciousness slowly began to focus itself. She was... where was she? What was she doing? She could hear the sounds of a forest around her, albeit barely—  And her skin didn't sting with the numbing pain of cold... Was she still in Thanatos?

She slowly began to open her eyes, wincing as the sunlight she'd not seen in many a year began to work its way into her mind. Not much of it was able to work it's way past someone... or something? That had decided to lift and brace her, just a little. Thankfully, she had no wounds—  no external ones, at least. She appeared physically fine, though the paleness of her skin and the unnaturally low temperature she gave off might understandably convince someone that she was at least sick. She felt bad about that, in hindsight—  she didn't like to make people worry.

Her vision cleared more and more by the moment, and her unfocused eyes began to sharpen upon the 'man' before her... Which turned out to be a bear, in fact. A large, white-fur bear, and quite the dextrous one, to be capable of propping her up in it's claws. For a moment, she silently pondered the amusing nature of her circumstances—  She was at peace with her being killed by wolves, only to awaken moments from death at the hands of a bear. Fear was probably the correct response... but it was her own fault for being in the situation she was in. It was certainly an odd chain of events, but death is death, as they say.

"...Hello, mister bear," She managed to weakly mutter, before closing her eyes once more. "I won't hurt you... I won't stop you. I know you're hungry... I don't blame you. Please... just make it quick. I... I don't want to hurt anymore." Her tone was raspy, and coated in shards of a long-shattered resolve. As amusing as her circumstances were, at the end of the day, she just wanted them to end. She was so very... tired. Dying like this, when had barely the strength to resist, was more than enough of an acceptable end for her.

Codex

The woman's eyes eventually opened and faced Kave as his hulking form stared down on her. Just as he had assumed, she was very weak at the moment. When she finally opened her mouth and spoke to him, Kave was taken off a little by the words she said. First of all, nobody had called him "Mister Bear" in a while... At least not since he was still hanging around with Cana, but that was ages ago. Secondly she seemed to think he was here to.. eat her? The very thought put a pit in his stomach. Not to mention she seemed completely fine with that... Clearly she had gone through something more traumatic than almost being eaten by wolves.

Kave snorted slightly before responding. "Err.. Ye got it all wrong lassie, I just saved ye from bein' eaten." He told her. It took no genius to see that she was clearly not in great shape. Kave had no idea what had happened to her, and he was by no means a doctor. Sure he knew how to clean and stitch up a wound every now and again since his job ended up requiring him to do so often, but from what the bear could tell, this girl had no physical injuries on her. Maybe she was sick? "Aight well... Can ye tell me what happened? I ain't bout to let you die out here." He asked, observing her more closely and sniffing the air for any hints. People often carried scents with them that his bear nose was able to pick up on. This woman would prove to be no exception... Only her scent was odd. Completely foreign to Kave, he could not tell what that smell was. It wasn't anything like the grass she lay in or the trees of the surrounding forest.

Kave figured if he had to, he'd carry her back to civilization, but first he wanted to get a better understanding of her situation before he made any decisions. "Name's Kave, lass. I noticed a pack of mutts comin after ye so I intervened..."

Hyacinthus

Sharper and surer, Olivia's mind set in place. She sat quietly with her eyes closed in the hands... or, paws... of a great beast, yet the pain of her violent death never came. Instead, she was met with... a confused tone of voice? And a snort? Quite un-bear-like, both... At least, not like any bear that hadn't run afoul of some magical intervention. A curse, perhaps? Or was she simply hallucinating even further in her weakened state of mind and body? Slowly, the silvery blonde began to open her dulled, sapphire eyes once more in an attempt to confirm what a truth that she was now, weirdly enough, literally faced with-- She had indeed been saved by a... talking bear.

One that, at least by most appearances and mannerisms, didn't as seem intent on eating her as she originally surmised. The girl couldn't help but frown at the realization, averting her eyes from the great beast-- not out of fear, or disdain for the bear, but sheer embarrassment in herself for immediately thinking so lowly of it. "...I... I'm sorry," She began, her tone still quite weak, but now carrying a level of stability that it lacked moments prior. "I thought... I thought negatively of you, just because you were... You didn't deserve that. I'm sorry..." It might have seemed silly to anyone else, the idea of apologizing to a giant, battle-axe-wielding bear for not inherently knowing it wasn't going to hurt you, but Olivia was always taught to be honest and respectful of others-- no matter their background.

She began to lift her body up, summoning the strength to stand on her own feet, but only made it as far as lifting her neck a few inches before crumbling back down into the bear's grasp. Olivia herself seemed rather unsurprised at this lack of strength-- As if she expected no more of herself in the first place. Sheepish, and at the mercy of her savior, she sighed, her gaze still cast downward. "I... Want to thank you for saving me, Mister B-- erm... Mister Kave. But I'm... I'm... not very worth saving." Olivia stared at the book at her waist before continuing. "...I think I've done bad things. I... think I've done really bad things, and... I probably don't deserve--"

"You don't believe that, do you...?"

A cold shiver ran down Olivia's spine, and her face went visibly pale-- well, paler. A voice echoed in the back of her mind, like the whisper of a murderer on her neck, yet she knew there was no one behind her. It wasn't... 'his' voice, though. It was someone... or something else's. Had she... had she brought something back?

Codex

Kave couldn't really blame the woman for naturally assuming he had some sort of hostile intent. If him being a massive bear wasn't enough, he was also covered in head to toe with thick armor and had a massive battle axe strapped to his back. Despite all this though, Kave did often forget what he was sometimes to others. Le'ranna was filled with strange and mystical things, but that didn't make him any less strange because of it.

"N- No! Dun ye be worrying 'bout that now lassie." Kave responded quite quickly after the woman apologized. He could tell she was clearly in bad shape, and he didn't want to hurt her mental health either. "T'is a common opinion, aye?" He said, trying his best to reduce any stress she had. It was clear to Kave now that this woman carried some heavy internal scars as well.

When she tried to get up, Kave was careful to try and help but to no avail, her strength gave out again and she fell back into his paws. "Take yer time, lass." The bear encouraged before his face became more concerned and he carefully looked around at the surrounding forest for any clues as to what happened to her. Finally his attention was grabbed once again by the girl when she protested about his actions on trying to save her. She told him she had done some very bad things but Kave wasn't sure what exactly she meant. "I ain't gonna just leave ye ta die, lass." He told her, but when her eyes looked at an old book on her waist the bear's gaze followed. He stared at it for several seconds as she continued, the old thing looked frayed and worn. However, before the bear could come up with a suitable response, the woman's condition changed again!

"W- woha! T'is alright now. I am gonna help ye." He told her. Kave was still nervous though, he had yet to be given an answer as to what exactly happened to her. If he didn't know what was wrong, how could he protect her? Not to mention he was still lost and had no idea where civilization was. Though the bear had proven to be rather weak willed when it came to the desperate. He could never in good conscience leave someone like this woman in the middle of the forest.

"Alrighty then... I'm gunna pick ye up now, if that's aight?" The bear asked calmly. Luckily she was pretty light, and gave no strain to the bear. "Now lassie, can ye tell me what happened to ye?" He asked as he began walking off with her in his arms, sniffing the air in vain, hoping to catch the scent of more people so he could get her help.

Hyacinthus

Before any further dread could begin to set into Olivia's psyche over the possibility that she had, unknowingly, done even more wrong than that which she was aware of, Kave's embrace took her frail body from the cold ground, distracting her from the voice she'd just heard. She didn't have the strength to resist, even if she wanted to-- she didn't even have the willpower to consider resisting in the first place. Her gaze unfocused, her eyes showing signs of unnatural exhaustion, and her mind still somewhat in tatters, Olivia simply resigned herself to whatever was to become of her.

"I..." She began, an attempt at responding to her new companion's questions of her current status, before she paused. The feeling of dread washed over her once more, yet this time, no voice. Not a whisper, nor the presence of someone or something just behind her. It was... nauseating, to say the least, and she didn't have the fortitude even to display the symptoms. "...I don't... I was..." She began again, yet every time she attempted to speak, the feeling of dreadful nausea overcame her once more-- as if her body itself was rejecting the very act of speaking those words. This made little sense to the already weakened girl, until she realized that it wasn't just her stomach that was turning-- it was her mind, as well.

In her mind, she could see it-- she could see the moments before that portal opened in Thanatos. She could see the successful casting of that spell she'd worked on mastering for so many nights away from her family's eyes. She could remember the... teeth... and the screams... And then it was gone. And as it left, in it's wake followed the same rejection of her body and mind-- the repulsion of the very concept of remembrance. How very... disappointing. "...I'm sorry," She eventually brought herself to say, unable to look the bear in the eyes while she was held in his arms, "I... I can't seem to bring myself to... speak it." If this was a form of self-preservation, it was wholly unwanted. Was she truly unable to bring herself to remember that day, or what had happened since? Or was this--

"Oh, my. She doesn't look so well."

Cold returned to the girl's frail form-- an intense fear that nearly caused her to break out into a panic-- had she the strength left to do so. A voice called out from nearby-- A decidedly human voice. Unarguably so, one might say. From a particularly dense section of the foliage surrounding the clearing, a young man stepped forth. He was... immaculate. Impossibly, so, one might say. Flowing, beautiful, blue silk scarves and sashes adorned him, from his neck to his waist. He wore a wonderful white blouse, like something out of a fantasy; His pristine white pants matched his pristine shirt. The white boots he wore saw not a speck of dirt nor a blade of grass. His gorgeous golden eyes and flowing, raven-black hair accentuated his flawless, snowflake-pale skin in such a way that almost seemed to cause him to glow. He looked as if he'd just stepped out of a fairy tale... which for all intents and purposes, may have been the case. Kave's nose hadn't failed him in the slightest, after all-- there was no sudden scent of a man with his appearance. He simply... was there.

He ran a single hand through his hair, before waving peacefully to the large, talking bear, the calming smile on his face never fading. "Don't mind me-- I happened to be passing by, and overheard you here. But certainly, your friend does not seem to be doing very well." His tone was even and warm-- if he was lying, he showed no signs of it. With the same hand he waved with, he gestured to the east, his eyes leaving the bear-- a sign of trust. "To the east, if you follow the sun, you should find Ketra-- I believe it's the closest settlement to these forests, given where we are. It is quite a large city-- I'm sure someone would be able to help your friend there." He kindly pointed out, nodding in confirmation of his own words as his eyes returned to the bear... and the girl he held. Said girl had gone deathly silent-- as if the very breath had been stolen from her lungs, and her eyes, which originally were merely unfocused, had settled into something akin to a thousand-yard stare-- blankly gazing into the abyss beyond the bear in her grasp. She was still breathing... which, all things considered, was always a good thing.

"I'm traveling a different path, but I wish you a quick and safe passage, friend. Take care-- I'm sure we'll meet again soon enough." With a kindly wave and a turn of his heels, the immaculate man bid the two farewell, and began his descent back into the thick of the forest. Olivia wouldn't budge-- not until he'd left all sense of the vicinity would she so much as loosen her shoulders and relax her body.

Codex

The more time that Kave had spent with this girl the stranger and stranger things seemed to get. He had considered himself a rather experienced mercenary and had journeyed all across Le'ranna looking for work. Suffice to say he had seen more than a few odd things in his time traversing the land, though this situation certainly put a lot of his previous escapades to shame if they were competing to confuse the Bear-kin. For now all he could really do was hope that the girl would be able to give him more clues as to what happened, because right now he was in a dark cellar without  a lantern.

Eventually the shivering woman would start to speak up again, Kave being careful to listen so he may get more information about her. Though it was as if something grabbed her tongue as she was about to speak. He raised his eyebrow in anticipation but was met with more silence as she struggled to speak. He could tell she was visibly shaken by something, but physically she appeared to be fine. One thing was clear to him though, and that this girl needed assistance. He could certainly try and get her back to civilization, but Kave wasn't exactly versed in helping others with PTSD, which he theorized internally could be the cause for this girl's strange behaviour. Eventually she apologized and Kave was left with little answers. Shaking his head slightly he responded: "Aye, don't be sorry. Take yer time and I'll try and find ye some help." The Bear would reassure. While a bit disappointing it was understandable. People subjected to extreme trauma often had trouble recounting the events that cursed them, for the fear of reliving the past stays fresh in their minds. Especially if they happened recently, and by the looks of her he was willing to bet they did.

Just as he turned his attention onwards once more and began deciding on what direction to start walking, something brand new hit his senses. A cool voice rang out behind the bear and he instinctively turned his attention to face the source, which caused a great deal of puzzlement. There before the two of them was a man. Dressed like some wealthy Serenian noble and carrying himself to match. Where the hell had he come from? If there had been anyone else nearby Kave was likely to at least smell them. Perhaps he had simply been too distracted by the wolves and the girl to notice? In any case this stranger seemed to be polite, so Kave felt a little more at ease.  When the man took notice of the girl's condition the Bear nodded. "Oh aye, just found the thing collapsed in the field. Some hungry beasts came prowling so I warded em off." He answered truthfully, after all the Bear saw no reason to lie. "The lass can barely speak, let alone tell me what happened to her."

When the stranger began to try and give directions his attention perked up once more. Following his gaze eastward Kave nodded thankfully. Even without the girl's need for help, Kave had been lost in these woods for a few days now. He was excited to finally reach civilization again. "Aye thanks! Been wanderin' these wilds for days. Not from round here, ya know?" The strange circumstances of this meeting seemed to fade from the Bear's mind completely now that a lead out of this mess had been found. Likely something that would come back to him later. Of course he did take notice of Olivia's change again, and the stillness of her body. Still having no idea what her condition was, he began to worry. Kave knew it was safer to be faster. And as soon as he arrived the finely dressed man departed, saying farewell as he turned and walked straight into the woods. It was then that he felt the girl's body unstiffen and her breath return.

"Uhh... Right then, I think we got a headin'." He snorted somewhat awkwardly as the strange encounter ended and Kave was left with a few lingering questions. Of course that didn't matter now, as he had a clear mission. "East aye? Stay strong young one, we'll get this sorted." He said confidently before walking back into the forest towards the sun.