Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Penblade's Wants and Limits

Started by PenbladeJW, January 06, 2021, 12:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PenbladeJW

PENBLADE'S WANTS

What are your favorite kinds of plots and relationships to play?
I enjoy plots with themes of adventure (lots of traveling, exploration, a clear goal at the end, and danger along the way), horror (isolation, feeling of dread and powerlessness, escaping by mere inches), and slice-of-life (everyday actions like running as shop, fishing, cooking dinner, etc. As well as other mundane things like dressing a wound or trying to figure out how to pronounce a magical rune/word.) I also enjoy RPs that involve two very different characters getting a glimpse into what the other's world is like (Think, a demigod having dinner at a peasant's house while traveling). As for relationships, I enjoy the friends my characters make coming into play in the plot (think Indiana Jones and his friends all over the world) with the friendship being beneficial to both parties, rather than just pleasantries.

What are your least favorite kinds of plots and relationships to play?
I deeply dislike plots centered around misunderstandings, especially if I know out of character that there's been a major misunderstanding.

What are your favorite character types to play?
I love to play very low powered characters, such as a farmer, a surgeon, a fisherman, a footsoldier, that sort of thing. When I do play more powerful characters I usually lean towards the kind of characters who acquire power by their own actions, rather than being born with it (a peasant who learns to use magic, a sailor who discovers a shipwreck and salvages it, a monk who trains for years, etc.)

Are you a planner or a pantser? Do you prefer to pre-plan and stick to a script when posting, or do you prefer to surprise and be surprised?
More often than not I play by the seat of my pants, but if offered a script I'll do my best to direct the flow of my posts to stay in line with whatever points we outline.

How do you feel about group threads?
I feel pretty good about group threads. I like having so many different perspectives on a given event.

How often can you reply to any given thread? How long should a partner wait before nudging you for a post?
I can usually reply once a day
Give me two days before you nudge me. There are definitely some days when I feel simply too burnt out to post because of work or social stuff.

What is the longest you're willing to wait for a reply to a thread?
I'm willing to wait about 1-2 weeks for a reply, though I'll probably poke the person whose turn it is after 4 days or so.

How do you feel about instant messenger RP?
I am perfectly comfortable with IM roleplay.

How do you feel about post volleying/rapidfire RP?
(Where you and another player post rapidly back and forth in a thread with each other.)
In IM I'm perfectly okay with it, but for forum post RP I can only do this on my days off, and even then, only if given a warning ahead of time so I don't make plans with other people first.

What's your preferred posting style? Long posts? Short posts? Anything and everything?
For forum play I prefer somewhere between two and three paragraphs. Longer than that and it starts feeling clunky to me, but I can do more if asked to.

Any RP styles/habits that you love?
Descriptions of facial expressions and body language are always nice, especially to give context to dialogue ("I'm fine" while grimacing and holding your shoulder as opposed to "I'm fine" while smiling and giving a thumbs up).

Any RP styles/habits that you avoid?
Too much onamonapia. You don't have to spell out the sound effects.

PENBLADE'S LIMITS

What are you limits regarding powerplay/godmoding?
(For instance, do you mind if someone grabs your character? Picks them up? Punches them?)
I'm all for this sort of thing. Pin me down. Throw me out a window. Cover my mouth. Just so long as you don't start pupetteering my character ("I point you toward the door" vs "You walk toward the door").

What are your limits in regards to romantic situations?
(What are you comfortable with and not comfortable with? Do you prefer to pre-plot relationships or let them happen organically? Are you open to IC-rejection or love-triangles? Age differences? Etc.)
I am all for my characters getting into relationships with other characters, both romantic and carnal. I'd rather both characters know each other for a while, and I'd like to discuss the idea out of character before anything happens, so that if either party is going to be rejected it doesn't come as a nasty surprise. As for things like polyamory and love triangles, that's going to be a hard pass from me.

What are your limits with regards to graphic content such as sex, violence, drug use, sexual assault, etc? What is your comfort level?
Sexual assault is very iffy for me and I'll definitely need to talk to my current partner in the RP about it out of character, but for the most part I can roll with pretty much anything and I'll do my very best to give such situations the consideration and gravity they deserve, even if my character might not.

What are your limits in regards to pregnancy within plots?
(Are you okay with pregnancy in plots? Miscarriages? Loss?)
Again, I'm all for it with the darker aspects requiring some out of character discussion.

What about healing?
(For example, a blind character magically being able to see, a scarred up character having their scars repaired, etc.)
This is fine by me.

What about characters being transformed against their will? (Think vampires, werewolves, and magical spells.)
Go for it. I can roll with that good stuff.

Anything else?
(Anything else you want to add that other players should know!)
Not that I can think of at the moment.