Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Desert Story

Started by Khakana, February 03, 2023, 11:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khakana

The sun bore down on Nakato with an unrelenting fury as her burned and cracked hands pulled her body through the fine sand which had been baking for as long as she had. It had been 2 days since her last real sip of water, her lips split and her mouth dry. Her lung punished by every scorching breath of air. The sand stuck to her sweating, sunburned body which sent waves of agony through her body every time she moved.

She hadn't seen the slavers in a few hours, but then, she couldn't see much of anything. The Sun's heat created powerful shimmers in the air, and what she could see were dune of sand all around. Not a person to be seen. Still, something in her urged one hand after the other. Something tickled in the back of her head, completely unreachable, pushing her in the direction she was heading.

She crested a dune, and in the distance she saw something jutting out of the sand in a way no natural rock would. Seeing it made the tickle in the back of Nakato's head turn into a mindless buzzing. The buzzing accompanied by some sense of hope, some feeling that despite all odds, something was there that could help her. That could save her, from the slavers, and most hopefully, the desert itself.

Rhindeer

It wasn't the first time Nakato's lifestyle had gotten her into trouble, but it was starting to feel like it might be her last.

She had gotten cocky over the years, and it only took one careless mistake to change her life's trajectory. She thought she was being subtle and sneaky, creeping into that wealthy asshole's camp in the dead of night in the form of a jackal. She had almost done it, too, almost gotten out of there free and unscathed and significantly richer, with a pouch full of coin dangling from her jaws—

But one of them woke up without her noticing—at least, not until he had her by the scruff of her neck, startling her so hard that she panic-shifted back to human.

Awkward all around.

And how was she supposed to know they were bloody slavers?

Shifting in that moment likely saved her from getting killed and skinned on the spot like a mongrel, but what had followed was several days of hell. She was not a passive captive. She yelled, she fought, she bit and scratched, and she tried to run on more than one occasion. In response, they beat her—just enough. Enough to send a message, and enough to weaken her, but not enough to damage her. They only gave her enough food and water to keep her alive and conscious, but not too much to give her strength. And as for the shifting issue? Well, experienced slavers apparently prepared for all possibilities; the irons they locked around her neck and wrists also kept her locked in human form, no matter how much she tried and tried to shift.

If she had been able to shift, she could have gotten out. She was sure of it. She could have slipped the collar and manacles and vanished into the night.

Instead, she had to endure it all, at first in stubborn denial, and then in growing terror as reality sank in. She had never before been in a situation she couldn't weasel herself out of, and slavery? Being owned by another? And what kind of slave? She overheard her captor's talk and tried to figure out her fate. They joked that bedding her would be like bedding a boy, thank gods, so that was out—hopefully. Manual labor? Laboring away in some claustrophobic mine somewhere until she dropped dead? That sounded more likely than tending to some wealthy dick's home, because she didn't have the manners or the skill.

Whatever her future, one thing was perfectly clear: she could not go where they were taking her. She didn't know how, but she needed to escape them soon. Once they reached the city, her window of opportunity would close—likely for good. No matter how much they hurt her, she needed to fight.

Somehow.

But a strong will was only as good as the body, and she was so tired, so bruised, and so hungry it became difficult to even think, much less act, and her acts of defiance gradually declined.

The situation changed in her favor when a sandstorm hit.

It was during the chaos and confusion that Nakato made a break for it.

Unfortunately, she didn't have a plan beyond her escape. 

It had been hours since the storm hit and broke. Her slavers were nowhere in sight, but she also had no way to judge how far she had gotten or even what direction she was going in. Her eyes ached, red and swollen from sand and the sun's glare, making it hard to see, and she could barely move. Her entire body throbbed with fresh and old bruises and cuts that also burned as sand got in them. Her skin was blistered; she wore only the cheap, ratty clothes they had given her that left her limbs exposed. All in all, she felt like she was dying—and she probably was.

But at least she would die free.

She'd prefer not to die at all.

There was something glinting in the distance. She had no idea what it was or how it would be helpful, but her exhausted, desperate brain latched onto it, because it was something different in the monotonous ocean of sand. It was the only waypoint she had.

Somehow, after what felt like hours—maybe it was?—she reached it.

And collapsed at its base.

It was large and towered over her, and it didn't look like a naturally formed rock...but it also didn't look like anything that could help her. Blearily, she barked a delirious laugh, throat so dry she felt it might bleed. There was nothing else out here. Nothing she could see for miles. Maybe she should have stayed. Maybe she should have waited to be closer to a city.

She had fucked up.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Khakana

As Nakato laughed at her own misery, the buzzing in her mind continued. She truly was dead. By every sense of the word, she should be dead, and she would be soon. As she stared out at the nothingness, the buzzing overtook her senses sounding like a cicada trapped in her skull. Then it stopped.

"Run" A woman's voice whispered, as if it came from behind Nakato. When she turned, she could see 4 people cresting the dune. The Slavers were back. They seemed unreal, and while they were literally her salvation she somehow found the strength to get to her feet and hobble away. She hobbled, and it turned into a weak run, and then she felt nothing under foot. Darkness filled her vision, and then she was looking at a square of light.

Her fall was broken as she slammed back first into a pile of sand, half sliding, half rolling down the side of the large pile, before rolling across cold stone flooring. Her breath was trapped in her chest as her body squirmed. The world swam, and it sounded like her head was under water when her body finally managed to let out a loud gasp of air, followed buy a rough coughing fit.

"Gods damn! The bitch's still alive!" Nakato heard someone say, their voice echoing through whatever cave they were in. Then she heard the unmistakable sound of a water drop hitting water and her head snapped towards it.

A pool of crystal clear water surrounded a large statue of a Reptilian being. It's body was hunched with obvious aggression, it's maw open as if caught frozen in stone in the midst of an intimidating scream. It wore metal armor head to toe, and was covered in strange symbols, but the only thing that Nakato could focus on was the drop of water building up on the fangs of this creature, getting larger until it fell and disturbed the surface of the water.

Rhindeer

The slaver's calls filled Nakato with dread, but the sight of that water filled her with a hope that was even stronger. She could go weeks without food; she wouldn't last another day or two without water. 

Picking herself up painfully, trying not to wheeze too loudly for fear of attracting notice, she scrambled painfully over the stone floor to the pool, dropping to her knees before it. 

Water first, then she would try to figure out how she was getting out of this mess. She sank her cracked hands into the pool, hissing as it stung and burned the chapped skin, and scooped water up and to her lips. Slowly, go slow, she told herself, knowing that if she gulped it down like she wanted to, it would only come right back up. It burned on the way down; she felt dry as sandstone. But she paced herself, sipping carefully, and between sips she splashed water on herself to clean her wounds and wash sand off her skin.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Khakana

As Nakato brought the water to her mouth, she could feel a sense of relief wash over her. Like every ounce of pain was removed from her body. Her body felt cold as the water settled, and then feeling overall started to fade. A peaceful numbness, like the oblivion of sleep, only she could still see. What she could see, was that the statue before her was awash with a blue flickering light.

"I don't believe you should be here yet," A soft voice whispered behind Nakato, and when the bandit turned slave turned to look she was face to face with a Skeleton, draped in sheer purple fabric and gold jewelry. It's skull was filled with the blue flame that was lighting the room. Held in its arms, protectively against its chest was a large tome. "Though I am happy you found me. It has been so long since any have stepped foot in this place." Her voice seemed to echo from everywhere, all while dancing in the back of her mind.

Rhindeer

The voice snapped Nakato back to awareness and she twisted around sharply--and let our a surprised yelp when she came face to face with a bloody SKELETON.

Was that a freakin' MUMMY?! Or something?!

It seemed her situation had only gone from bad to worse--first the slavers, now she was apparently in some cursed tomb or something with what was no doubt some flesh-eating undead abomination like she had heard of in the legends. She scrambled backwards, eyes humorously large, and grabbed up the largest rock within arm's reach and clutched it, ready to throw it for all the good it would do.

"W-what...stay back!" she barked, for though the creature's voice was soft and kind, she wasn't about to trust some...some...undead skeleton thing! That was how you got your face eaten. "I'm warnin' ya! I'll, uh, I'll throw it! I've got good aim, I do!"

And just to prove it, she threw the rock anyway. Element of surprise and all that!

Khakana

"I am not here to hurt you," The Skeleton said before the rock connected right between it's eyes. Immediately the skeleton exploded, the several hundred bones clattering to the ground. Wall sconces around the room exploded with blue fire as the bones started to vibrate rapidly. "Ow..." The voice whispered again, just as soft yet oppressive as before. "Please don't hit me again," It asked as the bones reanimated, the jerky motions as it rebuilt itself and once again stood before Nakato.

Then, delicately, it bent down and picked up it's book, running a boney hand first across it's cover, then down the fine cloth covering her bones as if to brush the dirt away. "That really, truly did hurt. Please do not do it again, I don't wish to hurt you..." It said, the many whispering voices somehow sounding sad in unification.

Rhindeer

The skeleton mummy thing exploded and blue light flashed along the walls from the sconces. Chest heaving in barely repressed panic, Nakato grabbed another rock just in case—and found her instincts were correct. The skeleton reformed, because of course it did! Living dead things didn't like to stay dead, so she'd heard, though this was the first time she had faced one.

She aimed the stone, but didn't yet throw, because it was speaking again and...uh...saying it hurt? And to please not do that again? What? Nakato's eyes narrowed and she didn't lower her hand—but neither did she throw the rock. Yet.

Partially because she didn't think it would do much more than piss the thing off, but also because she was a little curious and baffled in equal measure. A scary undead skeleton monster saying a little rock hurt? And exploding so dramatically?

"Uhhh...what...exactly are ya?" she said slowly, still poised as though ready to spring away at any moment. "Don't come any closer! Just...where is this?"

Khakana

The skeletal being stood there and watched as Nakato ran over everything in her head. The skull tilted to the side inquisitively. It rattled it's fingers against the cover of it's book, dragging one boney claw along the pages delicately as it stood idle. It didn't move much more than that, staring with unblinking flaming eyeholes until Nakato finally spoke.

"Who am I," The skeleton asked, looking at it's book, then back at Nakato. "And where are we?" She whispered, taking a step towards the statue, seeming to be walking on something above the surface of the water as she reached up ran a hand along the side of the statues face. "I am Xokagi, Grand Librarian, and Keeper of Stories. At least," She said, turning back to Nakato, "That is how I am regarded. I do not remember if I have a name before that, and I remember the first story. So much darkness," Xokagi whispered even quieter, adverting her gaze.

She shook her head, stepping away from the statue with only the softest click of bone against stone. "Where you are geographically, is a tomb. A soldier, cursed to guard me. Sadly, I am no longer here," She said, her voice somehow sounding tight in her non-existent throat. "In a more etherial sense, you are in something of a void. You aren't alive, which allows you to speak with me, but you aren't ready to tell me your story..." She said, stepping into a shadow cast by the blue light and vanishing.

Xokagi appeared immediately in front of Nakato, leaning down, her boney fingers just hovering over Nakato's face. Existential dread gripping at her chest as she was forced to stare into Xokagi's eyes. "It is odd..." Xokagi said, letting her hand slowly fall, as if running it across Nakato's cheek in a similar way. "That you were able to refrain from telling your tale. Perhaps you are not yet done?" She asked, walking away just as abruptly to look through the pages of her book.

Rhindeer

None of what the creature was saying really made much sense to Nakato, nor did she particularly care. She just wanted to know where she was so she could get back out!

She did, however, care very much about one of the part where she was apparently not alive?

"What?!" she barked, but the skeleton lady was stepping away, and then vanishing entirely before she could get an answer. Panic gripped her, because what did she mean she wasn't alive? Was she dead? How could that be when she felt fine now? How was she dead?!

...Oh. She felt fine, Nakato realized with a look down at her hands, which were somehow no longer red and swollen and bloody. She shouldn't feel fine.

Then the skeleton was before her again, and Nakato let out a yelp and scrambled backwards again until her back hit a wall. The creature looked like she wanted to touch her, and Nakato was ready to slap her hand away, snapping out a sharp, "Don't touch me!" Thankfully, the thing didn't. She said something about telling stories. Whatever that meant.

"I-I can't be dead!" she managed to choke out, and wrapped her arms around her knees protectively, knees drawn to her chest. "I was--I was fine! There was water! I got away!" She wasn't ready. She didn't want to be here, in this creepy place with a strange skeleton lady and a giant monster statue. Was this what death was like? This seclusion? This fear? It was awful. "I dunno any stories! Just...just dumb kid ones. How do I get outta here? I don't wanna be here."

Khakana

"You write a story with every word you speak," Xokagi said, hugging her book to her chest, "Every action you take, and every thing you feel. I wish to hear of it all, every moment, every detail, so that I may hold the story for legends to come," She said, walking back to the statue. "But you do not seem ready, so maybe you are not here to tell me a story. Maybe... Maybe you are here to help me hear more stories," She offered to herself. Honestly, the conversation had become very one sided as Xokagi stood statue still in thought.

Finally she turned around, flipping through her book. "A deal then?" She asked, pointing to a page. "I could make you tell your story, and I usually would. Life is not a thing you often get a second chance at. I will forgive you not understanding the water was poisoned," She said, "On the consideration that you lead my priest to civilization," She added, closing the book. "You are in just enough of an in-between that I can justify erasing the mistake you made..." She said, looking behind Nakato. "I believe our time is up if that is the case... So if you refuse, my Priest shall correct my mistake," Xokagi said.

Nakato spluttered as her head was pulled out of the pool by someone using her hair as a handhold, dragging her body, now screaming in agony, across the hard, sandy floor. Then she was tossed, rolling across the floor until she hit the sand.

"We've been looking for you bitch," A voice said, when Nakato got kicked in the stomach hard enough to make her vision swim. As she reeled, she noticed cracks in the statue beginning to form, and a piece over the eye falling to the ground revealing the ancient skull. Flame overtook the skull, entering the space and leaving, leaving behind dull white scales and a yellow slitted eye.

"We're gonna make you pay for this one," Another slavers voice chuckled. "The boss even decided to come catch up with the other slaves. We're going to have some fun with you," The man said, leaning down and grabbing Nakato by the cheek. He knelt down, but the sound of stone splashing into water made whatever he was going to say die in his throat as he turned back around.

Massive footsteps through water followed by stone clattering onto stone, the once statue stood it's full height, shaking off what was left of it's rocky prison and scanned over the group surrounding Nakato, a deep rumble emanating from his chest. A slaver with a spear let out a battle cry, rushing the monster. It batted the spear to the side with it's right hand, left hand shooting out and wrapping around his throat and upper body, the muscles in it's right arm and back coiling and launching it's fist through the slavers head, splattering blood and brain across the floor.

Letting the body drop, it's ong tounge slipped out of it's muzzle like a dog licking it's chops, before it crouched down and let out a violent screech which began it's onslaught against the now panicked and disoriented slavers.

Rhindeer

Poisoned? The water was poisoned? It started to come back to her then, the strange sensation that had overcome her shortly after she drank, the lack of feeling, the sense of peace—and the panic only increased. Except she had no heart to beat, just the memory of it.

Lead her priest to civilization in exchange for her life? "Done!" she said quickly, not caring about anything else but that singular, desperate goal. "Yeah! Fine! I'll do—"

Pain enveloped her. It was all over, the burning sting of her sunburns, the cracks and scrapes in her skin, the old and fresh bruises, and the searing agony in her air-starved lungs. Something was yanking her hair, pulling her roughly, and she surfaced from the pool with gasping, sputtering wheezes and gags, choking up the water that had gone down her throat and up her nose.

Then she was rolling across the ground, dazed and hurting and utterly confused, the world a blurry haze of agony.

It only got worse.

She recognized that voice.

He kicked her, and she curled up in pain, gagging up more water and feeling like she could vomit if she had anything in her left to give. The statue was changing, cracking, but she didn't notice; her head swam, vision still distorted, and she frankly had more pressing matters to worry about—like the slaver currently grabbing her face and telling her just how screwed she was. Nakato stared at him, hurt, anger, and more than a little fear in her eyes, her belly twisting nauseously, but there was no point in begging; it had never worked before. And even if it did, she was coughing and gasping far too much to form words, her limbs too weak and heavy to even put up a struggle.

Maybe she had made a mistake. Maybe she should have stayed in that place. 

And that was when the slaver froze, the sound of splashing coming to her over the sound of blood rushing in her ears.

Throat tight, she followed his gaze—and let out a quiet whimper.

Oh dear gods.

The statue hadn't looked nearly as terrifying when it was stone rather than scales. And that was only the beginning of the horror show, for soon blood was spraying over the sand as it made short work of the first slaver that attacked, some of it splashing hotly across both she and the slaver pinning her.

With a cry, she scrambled out from under the slaver, but he was no longer trying to keep her. His full attention was on the monster, and the sword he drew suddenly seemed far too short. 

Fuck this! Nakato thought as she crawled away with a burst of panicked energy, too weak still to rise, and wedged herself between a wall and some of the rubble from the collapse. She curled in tightly, knees to her chest and hands over her ears, trying to make herself as small and unnoticeable as she could manage. The screeching hurt her ears, and so did the blood-curdling screams, and for the moment, at least, she regretted everything.

Khakana

The monster tore through the slavers with a brutal efficiency, removing limbs and insides with horrifying ease. Nakato was correct in her assessment that the sword the Slaver wielded simply was not enough. The slavers sword arm was quickly removed, the torn appendage in the lizards hand, the sword clattering to the ground. To add insult to injury, as the Slaver fell to the ground, the monster just stepped on him, crushing his chest under it's massive weight.

The last slaver in the room met his fate when the monster opened it's massive maw and clamped it down over the slavers head and shoulders, teeth sinking in before the monster grabbed his body and literally ripped him in half. The contents of his torso spilled to the floor in a steaming heap as the monster swallowed what was able to fit in his mouth whole, letting out another shriek in victory.

The monster held out his hand, and the air around it warped with purple and black waves, a glimmering gold Khopesh appearing. It was far larger than any of the weapon on the ground, and the Monster placed it on the back of his armored body before locking it's eyes on Nakato. He walked to her with a lazy swagger, before kneeling and lowering his head to her. Blood still dripped off his body from the scattered corpses.

"I am Thyva Khakana Let'Sivaro, Warpriest of Xokagi," He said, his voice rumbling in the dead silent hall. "I am to get you out of this desert safely, and so I am yours to command until then," He said, standing up and training his eyes back onto Nakato. "There are more alive above us. Are they too attempting to end your story?" He asked, sounding entirely unconcerned about anything that was actively happening. In fact, he almost sounded bored and largely disappointed.

Rhindeer

It was a horror show.

Nakato saw bits and flashes of the slavers' fates, peeking up despite her better judgment. She didn't want to see it—but she also wanted to make sure she wasn't next as they were systematically shredded or stomped or—

She glanced up just in time to see the beast swallow a torso whole, and with a gasp she pressed her face against her knees and swallowed hard against the gag bubbling up in her throat. How had this happened to her? Why her? Why this? Gods, if she survived this day, if she really did get a second chance at life and came out of this whole and alive, she swore on her soul she would live an honest life. No more crime, no more gambling, no more vices! Just please, please, let her survive this day.

The screams had quieted, but the sounds of heavy footsteps grew louder. Nakato raised her eyes slowly, her breath held but pulse pounding, and her already dry mouth went even drier when she saw the creature kneeling before her, dripping blood and way too close.

Don't hurt me! she wanted to yelp, but her voice came out a wordless croak. He was saying words, but she barely understood them through the racing panic and pain in her body. Oh, wait, was that a name? He said something about being hers to command, and...more above them? Attempting to...end her story? More slavers. Gods...

She remembered the skeleton lady and managed a slow, wide-eyed nod even as she pressed back further into her little crevice, trembling. She struggled to work moisture back into her mouth, and tried to speak again.

"You're...you're not gonna eat me...?" she finally managed, smiling a weak, nervous smile.

Khakana

Khakana stared down at Nakato as she asked her question. "Eat you?" He asked, his armored head tilting to the side as he contemplated the question. "No, I don't believe so. Not unless you give me a reason too," He said dryly.

Nakato looked away shiftily and cleared her throat. "Er...what kinda reason...?" she asked, and then snapped a look back at him and held her hands up defensively. "Askin' for a friend!"

Khakana stared at Nakato, and he let out a rumbling growl that echo'd through the chamber in an ominous bass. He walked up and grabbed Nakato, his hand taking up her whole arm, and pulled her off the ground. "You have made an agreement with Xokagi, for which you owe your life," He said, looking back up at the opening in the ceiling. "Which means I need to get you out of this desert, alive. SO let us begin," He said, picking her up like she were nothing more than a baby and began the climb up the sand hill.

The rope the slavers lowered was thick and rough, but it held as Khakana began pulling the both of them up and out of the temple. The sun struck them both once again, and even Khakana let out an irritated growl as he momentarily struggled to gain solid purchase on the sandy ground, but he managed well enough. When he stood, Nakato could see the rest of the caravan.

Her fellow slaves huddled in the shade of the wagons they were tied too, and the Caravan Leader's carriage sat right next to the water carriage. Several of the guards stopped, seeing the towering beast climbing out of the hole covered in blood. Khakana's head jerked to the side as an arrow bounced off the metal of his armor. In a flash, all his scales were covered in that same metal, and Nakato was put through part two of the previous experience.

The guards dead, the slaves didn't move through it all, and the Caravan Owner was trapped in his carriage by Khakan, who stood waiting at the entrance. "Drink the water Nakato," He ordered. "While I decide what it is to do with the sniveling maggot cowering inside this box," He growled, his armor splitting back to reveal his face once again.

Rhindeer

This was a nightmare.

The monster scooped her up like she was nothing, and Nakato froze like a hare. He hadn't given her an answer as to what would prompt him to eat her, and she wasn't keen to explore those options! So instead she focused on behaving like the good dog she wasn't.

On the plus side, she didn't...think she was worth eating? Too skinny, all bones, probably! Hopefully.

In any case, soon they reached the surface, the sun unbearably hot against her already raw and dry skin—and the slavers were waiting for them.

But the beast was, too.

It was a bloodbath. Nakato scrambled over to the other slaves to stay well out of the way, closing her eyes and covering her ears once more as one monster versed many. She felt no pity for them as they met their ends, but that didn't mean she wanted to see it happen, and her empty belly twisted with nausea. Sure she was a scavenger, sure she had hunted and eaten her share of prey raw and eaten dead things that had laid in the sun for too long; she wasn't one to be squeamish. But this was entirely different. This was a massacre—a deserved one, but grisly nonetheless.

Finally, the screams stopped, replaced by Khakana's voice ordering her to drink. Blinking open her eyes, shuddering a little at the sight of all those torn bodies, she swallowed dryly and nodded. "Uh...right..."

Water. It was music to her ears, but she also felt paralyzed, overwhelmed by everything that had happened and weak from the abuse she had suffered. But she commanded her legs to work and slid into the water carriage, and thought bitterly that she hoped this wasn't poisoned, too. Who poisoned water in a desert? Sadistic bastards.

Opening up the tops to one of the barrels, she dipped her hands into the water and drank—slowly, but deeply, forcing herself to pace herself even though she wanted to swim in it.

"Let 'im rot," she said after a few sips, pausing to let it settle before she dared drink more. "What about the other slaves?"

Khakana

Khakana looked at Nakato when she told him to let the man in the cart rot. Then he looked at the cart. A quick moment of searching later, he had taken two swords from the dead, and jammed the door shut. Nakato could see all the muscles in his back tighten as he bent the weapons around each other, growling from the strain before stepping back from the door to examine his handiwork. "Rot he will then," Khakana said, turning and walking past Nakato, ruffling her hair with a blood caked hand. "I will go take care of the slaves."

As he walked past, he picked up one of the barrels of water and a ladel and walked it over to where the slaves sat. He set the barrel down, and kneeled. The armor he had worn in the cavern and when dealing with the slavers had retracted into a strip along his spine somehow, leaving most of his body clean. His hands and face, however, were covered. He kneeled down and dug his hands into the hot sand, as if washing his hands in water. At first, the sand stuck to what wet blood there was on his hands, but with work it all started to fall away revealing relatively clean hands.

Then, once seemingly satisfied with the state of his hands, he opened up the barrel and began giving people water. They looked like children compared to him, and the complete change in face from what Nakato had seen up until now lead him to regard them as such. He didn't say anything when they drank, just watched quietly. When they cowered from him, he didn't growl or snarl. "Drink the water," He said, his deep voice smooth and unconcerned. It took a bit of coaxing, but eventually they all drank.

Except one. An older woman who had been with the convoy for as long as Nakato had been, and probably much longer. She lacked any notable features that would make her desirable as a slave, and the convoy often took frustrations out on her. She never fought, or complained, or even spoke for that matter. Every time she was knocked over, she would just get back up. She would eat what was given to her, drink when given water, but it wasn't hard to tell no one was home anymore. She didn't cower from Khakana, she just looked at him.

"You don't want the water?" Khakana asked, though his tone was rhetorical. He set the ladle down on the sand, going from a squat, to sitting awkwardly on the ground. His long legs bending awkwardly. The slave shook her head, and Khakana seemed to just stare. "Your story has been told, and you have no more words to write," He said, reaching down and helping her sit up properly. "Drink, one last time, so that you can have the strength to tell your story one last time," He said, brushing the slaves hair out of her face.

The softness was a dramatic contrast for what had only minutes previously been an unstoppable killing machine tearing Nakato and the Slave's captors apart. Now he was carefully caring for a broken woman, lifting the ladle of water to her lips again. She looked up at him, then at the ladle, and weakly started drinking. He just watched, everything else irrelevant to him. She stopped, her mouth moving but seemingly no sound. Khakana nodded, taking keys he must have pulled off one of the guards and releasing her from her bindings.

Finally, Khakana took a moment with the woman, taking her head in his hands and let out a deep breath. The woman's eyes, nose, and mouth flashed blue leaving each of those locations scorched. Her body slumped, and Khakana held her and laid her against the sand instead of just letting her drop. He finally get back up, standing at his full height and holding his hand out with the keys. "Let the others free at your discretion," He said, looking at Nakato. "Let me know if you face any difficulties."