Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Strength in Numbers

Started by visualspice, April 23, 2023, 04:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Zannrick's eyes did not leave the woman's at first but after a time, he with drew the blade and turned to take the paper.

It had the official seal. And he noted the name.

His ice blue eyes returned to her.

"I apologize. These are unsafe times we live in." He gestured towards the women.  "Fetch us another bath with clean waters. Be sure they're steaming hot for her." 

Thr woman nodded, still stunned before bowing and rushing off.

Zannrick moved to return his blade to its sheath before resting it upon the table. He then moved to fix the make shift curtain that had once been a poorly constructed privacy screen- now it faired no better with its large cut down the middle. The man began to work on pinning the cut closed. 

"You're late," he began after a time, finishing the repair. "If you were answering this letter... You're late."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Holy God. As soon as he withdrew his blade, Emery let out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding and sank to her nose into the water, blowing bubbles on her exhale. For a moment she had been paranoid enough to think the maid had somehow grabbed the wrong paper, even though it was the only paper in her bag.

It would be her luck.

She rubbed at her throat, checking for damage. "Unsafe. Right," she muttered under her breath when she straightened up again, unable to keep the twinge of irony from her voice—and then biting her tongue as soon as the words slipped out. But now that she was no longer in imminent danger, the real shakiness settled in, and she was glad to be submerged under cloudy water where it wasn't so obvious that she was trembling.

To her surprise he ordered a new bath (what? She hadn't actually been serious!) and started to repair the cloth he'd ripped through like a brute. Emery stayed where she was, knees hugged to her chin, because the bath right then was safe and she wasn't sure she could stand yet without her legs buckling. And she had made enough of a fool of herself to last...well, the rest of her life, probably, because she might very well die tonight of shame.

Zannrick. This was Zannrick. She'd nearly been killed by him. She'd seen his fucking dick. And the things she had said to him...

Maybe he should have killed her after all.

Especially when he said that.

She scrubbed her hands over her scarred face and took a deep breath. "I know," she said at last, and chewed her lip to bite back the excuses. Excuses were like assholes, right? "I know, I...look. Can we maybe start over? Maybe back before the part where you almost killed me, but after the part where I saved you? I feel like we were in a pretty good place then."

God fucking hell she needed to learn when to shut up.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Zannrick paused to eye her at her words, saying nothing- his expression hard to read. But there wasn't a hardness in his eyes. 

Then he picked up the discarded bar of soap.. and broke it in half. He wasn't going to wait for his turn with it. He tossed her half before disappearing behind the veil and sunk back into the waters.

"Why are you late?" He asked, after lathering in some soap down one arm. 
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Emery flinched and caught the soap reflexively, but it slipped out of her wet hands and splashed into the water. That at least forced her to uncurl herself from the ball she'd folded herself into as she fished around in the tub for it.

Why was she late?

She paused on hands and knees, shooting a glance toward the curtain. He didn't sound...pissed. So that was a good sign, maybe? That he was willing to hear her out?

Soap in hand, she sat back up. "Bad weather," she said lamely, grimacing. "Creek flooded, had to wait it out. Then, uh, well..." She scratched the back of her neck. "I'll be honest, this is the farthest I've traveled alone. I had no idea where the fuck I was going and may have taken a couple accidental detours."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Zannrick was quiet as she explained herself. It was an excuse, and with how disappointed he'd been with recruitment, this didn't help his situation.. nor hers.

Ansgar's name, maybe he would need more drink.

However, as he considered her plight as he scrubbed his hair down thoroughly, he recalled his own travels across the country.  Considering the desire for quick and prompt replies.. and with the unpredictability of the mage resistance...

He supposed he could afford this woman the benefit of the doubt. Besides, her day was fairing no better than his. And after all... she had technically put her life on the line to help him. And he has been a stranger then.

"Let's clean up and discuss this tomorrow. We're moving onto the second part of training but.." he hesitated before adding. "I .. suppose I could make an exception and add you onto the training roster. "

Rhindeer

Emery did not know if she should include the whole truth, so she didn't: the part where she went against her captain's wishes. Bellkrath might be in support of the Grand Duke, but that did not mean opinions were unanimous. Her particular cell was...a bit all over the place. Most of the Mordecai in her group disagreed; they followed the old ways, the ways deemed righteous by Ansgar and saw no reason to change. It was monstrous, what was happening.

They didn't know what monsters looked like. Emery had seen it, had it carved into her flesh so she could never forget, watched them walk among them, and no one seemed to want to do a fucking thing about it.

Except Zannrick.

Her captain had crumpled the letter and tossed it away, but Emery had fished it out of the rubbish and sent her reply in secret.

She was done. She was ready for a change.

They would likely have her head if she went back, deserting as she did. It was a risk she had been willing to take—the only problem was she didn't have a backup plan.

So she nearly sank back into the water when Zannrick gave his answer after a silence that stretched too long. Sucking in a deep breath, she scrubbed her hands over her face as a tension left her that she hadn't realized she was carrying, and after collecting herself quickly, she looked to the curtain.

It felt so awkward talking through a screen.

"Thank you! Sincerely. Work me twice as hard if you need to, I'll catch up, I promise. Holy shit, you have no idea how much this means to me, I could fucking suck your dick I'm so—"

She clamped her mouth shut abruptly, remembering in wide-eyed horror just who she was speaking to. Her superior. Second hand man to the goddamn GRAND DUKE. A man that had just about murdered her as a mage and still had a sword within reach. Not some equal she could be casually vulgar and jokesy around, but HIM. She pressed a hand to her mouth to bite back a strangled sound and seriously considered sinking under the water and not coming back up.

"...I mean. Thank you. Sir. For your consideration." 

visualspice

Zannrick said nothing as she continued on with her rambling. Truthfully, he should have denied hee. But... part of him felt it were wrong. She was fortunate they met under unique circumstances. 

And then she talked about sucking his dick.

Zannrick froze, and tensed- a knee jerk reaction to her elation. And even though she tried do back peddle over it....
Zannrick had to wonder if he made a mistake. 

Even still.. perhaps he wore just the faintest of smiles. 

"We could begin your training tonight, if you're so insistently eager," he finally said, breaking the silence.

Rhindeer

Was that...a joke? Or was he serious? He didn't seem like the joking sort thus far, and Emery didn't know him nearly well enough to spot his sense of humor, if he even had one. Not to mention he was nigh impossible to read even when she could see his face.

She bit back a groan. Goddammit. After their awkward yet casual meeting, before she knew who he was, her brain was tired enough that it was still struggling to register that he wasn't just some guy. Never mind the Almost Murder part.

She pinched the bridge of her nose, making a face. "That's...right. No, no, morning is good." She kicked herself, feeling like quite the dumbass. "If I'm being honest, sir, I'm tired enough I'm not so sure I could even lift a sword right now—of any variety," she added dryly.

Emery had jumped into bed with her share of casual flings, but never with a superior. And the thought of that was, frankly, borderline horrifying. She might have a reputation among her peers as being a bit wild, but she also had standards.

visualspice

"The morning then," Zannrick said with a curt nod. "Since you'll be somewhat behind, I'll expedite your training based on one condition. "

Rhindeer

That brought Emery's racing thoughts to a standstill. Calming a little since he was merciful enough to let her slip-ups slide, she looked at the screen curiously. "What condition is that, sir?"

visualspice

"You'll need to prove to me why you're here. Prove to my why  I ought to bring you on; take the time to train you.. mold you."

He thought back to the events from the last few hours. She was already trouble...

Would he live to regret this? He supposed they would see.

"This faction..we're not just about the ability to fight. It's why we fight that drives us and our successes."

Could someone.. so.. strange and crass truly understand?

Rhindeer

Emery was quiet for a moment as he spoke, outlining conditions that were, well...more than fair. He didn't have to do any of this. She was late, he had every right to reject her, and she was more than ready to work all the harder to make up for it and show how much she appreciated this chance.

But this? This would be the easy part, she felt.

"I understand," she said, rubbing her thumb along her scar where it ended at her jaw. "And I promise you, I will. I already know how to fight. If that was all this was about, I wouldn't have come."

visualspice

Maybe she did.

Each person had their own story, their own dreams..their own nightmares. Somehow.. even after only meeting the woman for this short while, he felt she knew all too well.

But...
Like everyone else. 

They had to prove it.

Zannrick stood suddenly, waters gushing down his form. He'd bathed long enough. There was work to be done.

He towered off with a leisure purpose, back towards the woman as his mind drifted off into thought...

Remembering a time that didn't seem so very long ago... until well.. it was.

"What duchy did you say you come from?" He asked, hanging a towel over his shoulders and beginning to dress. 

Rhindeer

The water was starting to cool; the maids may have forgotten to bring a new bath in all the chaos—understandably, she supposed. It was fine, though. Emery hadn't really been serious, just afraid and talking much tougher than she felt. Besides, her fingers and toes were staring to get gross and pruney, so it was about time.

She was so ready to collapse into a warm bed--though realistically, it would be hours before she could fall asleep after she'd come so close to getting herself killed in the most idiot way possible. Not to mention everything else. Proving herself. Fuck. She'd spoken confidently because she couldn't show weakness here, and she wasn't lying--she had her reasons. But fuck. What if in the end it wasn't enough for him?

Deep breaths. That was a problem for Future Emery.

She heard the water slosh around over on Zannrick's side, so clearly he had the same idea. She rose from the water and grabbed a towel, furiously rubbing her short red hair until it was no longer dripping and had instead gone a bit annoyingly floofy, then went about drying off the rest of the way and dressing. Thankfully, the change of clothes she'd brought with her had been out of the way of the collapse and escaped the brunt of the dust and debris, though she still had to shake them out a bit.

Fastening her breeches, she turned toward the screen at his question, head cocked curiously. "Bellkrath, sir," she said. "Why do you ask?"

visualspice

Bellkrath. Well, atleast it wasn't one of the furthest duchys from Allar. 

"Making small talk," he said, continuing to towel himself off. "You from the mountains?"
It would explain her talk.. then again, one could say that if she were from certain parts of the cities there. Women from the rougher areas....
They had a much different way about them.

And would explain the scar.

Rhindeer

"The mountains?" Emery blurted, a surprised laugh in her voice. She shot a look at the curtain, an eyebrow raised, then snorted and pulled her shirt on over her head. "No, what makes you think that? I'm from a town west of Einhall."

...Which, to be fair, was a small, nothing town close to the small, developing city of Einhall, which was in the foothills. But that hardly counted, right?

visualspice

Zhannrick arched an eye brow. And was that.. if it were it was a very subtle smile. He simply eyed her.

"I make a note of studying my soldiers. You.. reminded me of a man who hailed from the North."

Or a bear.

Rhindeer

"A man, huh?" Emery rolled her eyes skyward. "Listen, I know my tits are small but come on."

visualspice

The smile (not smile) lingered as he turned away, fully dressed and heading for the door. And if he were to embellish more on that thought, he made no notion.

"Rest well tonight. Tomorrow begins another day."

And he closed the door behind him.

Rhindeer

"Good night," Emery said as Zannrick left, and once the door closed behind him, she let out a loud sigh and slumped over with her hands braced against her knees.

Well. That was something else.

With Zannrick gone, Emery quickly finished dressing and then just...stood there, foot tapping and arms folded. A few minutes passed, then a few more just to be safe, before she cracked the door open and glanced down the hallway just to make sure she wasn't going to run into the man on the way to her room. Because, you know.

Awkward

She felt she had done an admirable job keeping it together...sort of.

But also she kind of wanted to D I E.

Slipping out of the room, she speed-walked to the room she'd bought, shut the door behind her, and threw herself face-down onto the bed with a strangled groan into her arms. 

This was a FUCKING DISASTER. She was a total fucking moron! He must think her an absolute lunatic dumbass, and hell, she probably was. God above, this was a horrible idea, but what were the bloody odds that she'd run into him like that?! Be stupidly casual and vulgar in front of him? And then nearly get killed by the man?! He must think her the most brainless, incompetent, silly--

Stop. Calm down. Curling her fingers into the blankets, she made a concentrated effort to slow her breathing. It was fine. This was fine. Everything was fucking fine. Just no more mistakes. She had to be on point. Professional. She was qualified for this, she had experience under her belt. She just had to show it. Right. Easy enough. She rolled onto her back with the pillow over her face, breathing into it to calm down (or lazily smother herself) before she hugged it to her chest. Morning would be the do-over. Fresh start, clean slate, they could both forget her boss had his face all up in her tits.

It took a while--sleep was not her friend--but eventually she was able to fret herself to sleep. It was a shitty sleep (not unusual), but that at least meant that she didn't oversleep, and she woke just before sunrise. Which was great, because she hadn't thought to ask where exactly they were meeting, or when.

She quickly dressed for the day, gathered her gear, and trudged down into the mess hall for a bowl of pottage. She wasn't really awake enough to feel hungry (she was exhausted, but had learned to function on even less), but she forced spoonfuls into her mouth as she tried to be subtle about glancing upstairs for signs of Zannrick. Not in a stalkery way, not at all! Just, you know. Because she had no fucking clue what the schedule exactly was and needed to intercept him.