Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

There’s a Silver Lining Out There Somewhere [open]!!

Started by wandering_giraffe, September 27, 2023, 09:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wandering_giraffe

Kael sighed as he leaned against a tree. He had finally just finished setting up camp, and it had taken him alittle longer than he was expecting. He was used to the harsh, hot, dry desert climate that was Essryn. Kael was used to emptying sand out of everything he owned. But this place was different.

It was the allure of something new and strange that had drawn him out of the desert in the first place. The rumors of money hidden in some cursed ruins somewhere in Serendipity had intrigued him, and he had been successful in his quest. He was rather on edge, in fact, about having so much money at the same time.

All day he couldn't shake the feeling he was being watched, but he only ended up scaring a poor squirrel out of his mind.

He was a rather imposing figure at 6'3, armed with a long-sword and several knives. Currently his weapons were lying next to him, as he had a campfire going and was trying to warm up. He was not used to this "cold", he was used to scorching heat and dust storms.
Kael stretched, trying to get comfortable. He had hung his dust cowl on a branch. He didn't need it here, in fact he regretted not bringing the one waterproof jacket he had.
He eyed the gathering storm clouds with suspicion. He had only ever experienced rain three times in his life, but his natural nomadic instincts were warning him that the rain would soon fall. The sun was beginning to set on the horizon, and Kael yawned, laying his head on his makeshift pillow, forgetting to hide the money he had found.

visualspice

Perhaps he should have been worried.  The bag of gold was barely sealed and the little curious creature- just the smallest mouse- was drawn towards it. She sniffed about, her little whiskers perking up as she scrambled into the bag ' sniffing about and displacing a strange rolled up piece if parchment.  

It slipped down the bag and into the open moonlight, opening, with a curl, where dark, ancient worn ink gleamed in the moonlight. 

And a moment later- there was the softest sound of a woman's voice.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

wandering_giraffe

Kael stirred. He swore he could have heard something. He anxiously looked around. His bag of gold was still there...but there was an ancient piece of paper that wasn't there before.
Kael stared up at the trees. Someone was toying with him, surely. He sat up, and picked up the piece of worn paper, scrutinizing the writings.
The writings were Essyrni in nature...
He could have sworn he didn't bring this piece of paper with him...
He had thought, upon contemplation, that he had heard a woman's voice. But from where?

visualspice

And just then a little squeak revealed the culprit- or atleast perhaps who had been 'speaking ' as a little mouse darted out from within the gold sack and skittered away. 
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

wandering_giraffe

Kael frowned and then sighed. He had almost gone to sleep too. Damn mice.
He sighed, turning around and leaning against the tree, holding the paper with both hands. What is it? So much for sleeping...

visualspice

Then, likely when his eyes began to glaze over with want of sleep..
A soft, barely audible voice came again.

And it sounded like she was asking for help...

But in some other most familiar tongue.
It was Essryni.. but not..

A tongue from a forgotten time. 

wandering_giraffe

This time Kael snapped wide awake. He had just drifted off again when he heard it...he glanced at the map...
"No way...surely not..."

He sighed. He'd done weirder things than talk to a piece of paper.
"H-hello?"

visualspice

At first, no response came.  Silence. 

Then a soft, definitively female voice seemed to whisper off the paper.  The surface of the scroll hummed softly with light- but only when the voice was heard.

It was quiet at first... strained. 

But the words were there.

"Please.. please help me!"

wandering_giraffe

Kael almost had a heart attack right then and there. The voice was coming from the paper.
"Can you understand me?" He cautiously asked.
"I'm not going to get cursed or something because I'm messing with something I shouldn't, yes?"
He glanced around again, but the trees were empty, save for a breeze flitting through the leaves.

visualspice

The parchment went quiet.  In truth, it had been ages since she could communicate- some three thousand plus years to be exact. She wasn't quite sure what she was dealing with.. or who or even when.

But his accent was strange.. muddled somehow.  She concentrated- tried to focus on that voice. 

A curse? He thought she was a curse?

Was she a curse?

No.. no..

No, no, no. Something had gone wrong. It had to of. Her sacrifice.. it was meant to preserve it all for her brothers- their secrets.. their triumph...

"I am Hebara of the Flame," she warned him, the page glowing softly. "Protector of the knowledge of my brothers. "

She paused to consider.. then asked, "What year is it? Where are we?"

She had to know. She must know.

"Who is the ruler?"

Did her sacrifices work? Did her brother reign all?

wandering_giraffe

"Hebara of the Flame..." he said softly.
Kael told her the year thinking it rather weird. But then again he was talking to a piece of paper.
"We are in Serendipity...the Wester Highlands to be exact. The ruler of Serendipity is Qi'ana Diveera...if it's a ruler of Le'raana you're asking about there is none."
"So...were you given sentience or did you choose to...to..." words escaped Kael.
"How long have you been like this?"

visualspice

The paper cursed softly.

She didn't know any of those places or names.

Did that mean they had truly failed?

The paper almost seemed to hiss at his questions.

"Quick! The pages.. read to me what the pages say!" The words could help breath her life anew- and maybe she could figure out just went wrong.

Only problem was..
There were no pages.

She was the only one.

wandering_giraffe

"Pages? Is there more of you?"
Kael looked through his supplies but found nothing.
He rubbed his forehead, trying to figure out what to do.
"Where do you need to go? I'll help you." Kael had no idea where to even begin, honestly.

visualspice

"What?" The paper sounded flabbergasted.  "What do you mean there aren't any other pages!? Where did you find me?" Then she corrected. "Where did you find this page?"

wandering_giraffe

"Well to be honest I didn't know I had found you until you fell out of a sack of gold—-" Kael trailed off, realizing that she must have come from the ruins.
"Do the ruins of Serendipity mean anything to you?"

visualspice

The paper actually sighed.
"It sounds poetic but means nothing." Her tone was curt. Serendipity was founded several millenia after her brother's fall.

If she could frown, she would. 

"Check your bag. See if there aren't anymore!"

She was demanding.. for a piece of paper. 

wandering_giraffe

"Damn, you're awfully bossy..." he teased, but he did check the bag.
"Nope, it's just you."

Kael sat down cross legged and tended to the camp fire with one hand, poking at the embers with his staff. 
"So, how do we go about getting you out of there? If that's even an option?"

visualspice

"I was once sister to the most powerful and prolific king of our ages! Burdened by True knowledge and blessed by the flames!" She went on. He might notice as he poked at the fire, something interesting was happening to the paper.

"I gave up my true self to protect these scrolls for my brothers return. " she paused to consider. "Perhaps that time is near..."

wandering_giraffe

"The most powerful and prolific king of our ages..." he mused, stoking the fire enough to get a small flame going again. He glanced at the paper and almost dropped it.
For there was a faint outline of a feminine face...indistinguishable but there...
"The time is near for what? Your brothers return? Are you a necromancer?" His interest was piqued.

visualspice

She could have scoffed, but that was beneath her.

"Hardly...I was.. am.. an enchantress. I pull power from this world to extend the purpose of my king and I.."

She let out a sudden noise- it almost sounded like a moan.

"Do I feel fire?"