Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Clock Face [M]

Started by visualspice, November 07, 2023, 05:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

"Wake up," a voice would cut through the chaos.  "Saoirse, you're dreaming. Come back to me.." she might feel the pull and shake of his powerful grip as he did so, Trying to wake her. "Wake up!"

The night had been beautiful... quiet- despite the sound of ocean winds and waves and the creaking of the boat and flap of its sails. The twinkling stars were beautiful, a sea in themselves of an endless depth. There wasn't even a cloud marring the glow of the moon.

It was her whimpers that drew his attention first, and he approached her, curious at first until he realized her despair she suffered from within. 

Now he moved with purpose, taking her body carefully and trying to bring her back to the world of the waking.

"Saoirse.. you are dreaming! Wake for me now!!"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Goldie

At first, his attempts to wake her melded with the nightmare that plagued her. The hands belonged to him. The voice was just a phantom of her own hopes to be saved. But Opus never saved her in these dreams. At times he was there, but only to be brutally murdered to leave her alone with Callum as he brought her back to that room. Back to the dark.

But then his voice became clearer, the touch on her shoulders more pronounced and, though not exactly gentle, were anything but rough.

Her eyelids fluttered open with a gasp and her head jerked up with eyes bleary and wild; half in dream and half in reality. She looked at him with fear. She was frozen for just a second. Then...

"Opus?"
A duck walked up to a lemonade stand.....

visualspice

He sighed with relief when she spoke his name and those eyes of her's found his. He smiled at her beneath the moonlight before brushing a stray lock of hair from her face.

"Glad to see you're awake."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Goldie

It was interesting. When she had been dreaming, her mind trapped in that room with that man, the light of her skin from the moonlight had been almost flickering, diminished, but as consciousness returned so did the light.

"It's...you?" She was still blinking away that night's nightmare, understanding and realization trickling in slowly, "You're not dead...oh..." she pressed her palms against her eyes and took a few steadying breaths, "A dream. Another dream...I'm sorry...I didn't want you to...I tried keep them..."

Another breath, "I can't make them stop." She croaked, hands still pressed to her eyes, "I'm trying...I...I'm sorry."

She was weak. Lady, she was so weak.

visualspice

Opus studied her, realization setting in. The reason for those nightmares was the reason he had done what he had back in Connlaoth- the terrible acts need only a terrible reply...

But that would never fix the holes that had been made and cut into Saoire's mind. 

"If you know the secrets so well of a broken mind, then I would have needed you to teach me your secrets," came the soft rumble of his voice. "The horrors of life will scar us until death." He moved to brush her hair again, much more gently this time- but still gave her space. "I suppose as an elf.. you will accumulate many more scars than I."

Goldie

"A broken mind." She repeated back to him, circling her palms against her eyes again before letting them fall into her lap. The illusion of clothes were still firmly in place despite all of the internal turmoil, "My mind is broken isn't it." She stared at her hands for a moment before lifting her eyes to meet his again, lower lip trembling.

"He's going to kill me." She whispered, "I feel it. He's going to find me and he's going to kill me."

The words the Lady had given her during her coming of age ritual echoed in her head Shadows will consume you and on the wings of a shadow you'll return home.

visualspice

Opus frowned at those last words, eyes hardening.

"It will be very difficult for a dead man to do this," he said, voice just above a growl, a whisper. "He will threaten you no longer, this I promise you "

Because no one, no where - would simply survive the wrath of Opus Dey. Did she not recall?

He could make the world burn. 

Goldie

"Opus..." she started, licking her lips in an attempt to chase away the dryness, but her tongue wasn't any better. She needed to tell him, but...he was probably right. Right? No one could survive those wounds. No Connlaothian healers could save you from that. Even she had told the priest he was furthering suffering rather than saving lives.

"When you...when I...when we were in Connlaoth, Danning - the priest - was trying to save them. He was trying to save him. Callum. He...he was still alive when you showed up." Her eyes shined with tears for the first time since waking. Even the nightmares didn't make her cry anymore but this? Thinking about him surviving all of that. Thinking about him coming back.

Now she trembled.

visualspice

Opus stiffened. And for a long moment he didn't give her a response.  But how could he simply talk after such a revelation? That the one man he aimed to suffer and snuff out may still live? He'd need to contact the priest immediately, but for the moment, he needed to channel his anger- for as he might have seemed cool and collected...
He was absolutely about ready to explode.

His mouth twitched as he clenched his jaw.

"If he lives, I can guarantee it won't be for much longer." His words belayed the stillness of his exterior and perhaps highlighted what he held back- for his words were sharp and bitter and laced with a dark promise he would see to the end.

Goldie

She had been alive for a long time - Much longer than any normal human, certainly longer than Opus - and she could feel his anger radiating off of him like a looming storm. Part of her immediately wished that she hadn't told him.

"He's probably dead."she whispered in a desperate attempt to placate both her own fears as well as his rage. "No one could survive that...Danning didn't know...he didn't know. He didn't even recognize me." What else could she say? That she had gone back into that church with the sole reason to ensure that man would suffer? It wouldn't change the fact that she hadn't done a thing. That she had chosen Opus over revenge.

She'd always choose him over revenge, she realized with a start.

"Opus." She leaned forward and pressed her hands to his cheeks doing her best to keep them steady so he wouldn't have more fuel. "Stay with me."

But what could she do? The fact that he might still be alive was haunting her - had been haunting her for weeks. She was no better than him.

Only one thing in all these months had helped her forget, helped her exist.

She pulled herself up onto her knees and kissed him so deeply she felt herself falling into the depths of him.

visualspice

He wouldn't turn away from her attentions, her heated kiss meeting with one of his own. But after a few minutes of this he pulled away, his expression still cold, and his eyes simmering with passion and hate anew.

"You should try to rest. I.. have drugs that can help quell those dreams for now."

Until the real problem was squashed and quelled.

Goldie

"Oh, it's ok." She said with a laugh, "This is just about the amount of sleep I get every night." But even as the words left her lips she realized the ridiculousness of them. First and foremost being that just because it was her new normal didn't mean it should be, and Opus would know that. Instead of making light of the situation she was probably just making it worse; giving him more things to be angry about.

Are you dreaming about me yet? Callum had asked as they were escaping the prison. Lady she hated that her answer was yes. She hated that he was the only thing that she dreamed about anymore.

"Ok." She finally said, smile replaced by seriousness bordering on a frown as she watched her fingers circle around each other "Ok, I'll try. But..." she looked up, "What are you going to do?"

visualspice

His lips twitched with a bitter smile, held back by a clenched jaw. 

"What do you think?" He spoke, words low, dangerous. "I keep my promises."

Goldie

She stared at him in silence for a few moments, her eyes dark and contemplative as she mulled over her next words. He wouldn't like it. He would turn her down, she knew it.

"You're taking me with you." She said, unwavering. It didn't matter what he said. It didn't matter what he thought. Not with this. "And before you say no, before you tell me you won't, or it's too dangerous, I deserve to be there. I need to be there." Her words were firm, demanding, but unnaturally soft in volume. They held every day, ever hour that the torment followed her.

"If I can't be the one to wield the blade then I at least need to see it buried in his chest." Her teeth clenched as she spoke.

visualspice

Opus' expression did not change.  He studied her and simply nodded. She deserved to see that man's blood spilled.

"I'll of course confirm his fate before we would change course." Perhaps the fool would be lucky and dead by now."For now, we continue south, as planned."

Goldie

Saoirse had been convincing herself that he was dead for weeks, but a part of her was still angry that she hadn't verified all those weeks ago. She could have told him then. Told him Callum was still alive and then he would have taken care of it right then and there.

But she had been so caught up in his return. His touch against her skin had consumed her and then he'd kissed her and they were transported. There hadn't been time.

"Thank you." She sighed, a weight lifting from her shoulders knowing she didn't have to fight this, grateful that he understood, "I'll try to sleep...with help." She added with downcast eyes.

visualspice

It was hard for even a man like Opus to hide his agitation. His work was never spoiled by a damned survivor- especially such a pestilent  one. But he had Saoirse to focus upon, and he gestured for her to follow.

Back inside his private rooms, he produced a few opens for her from various places within his room. He set a small gemstone down, a small vial filled with a red liquid- and a small, metal cuffed earring.

"I might have more options, but one of these should work for you."

He gestured towards each as he described them.

"The vial is a basic sleep tonic- you won't wake up for atleast 5 hours once you consume it and your mind remains in a blankened state.  It's some sort of energizing stasis rather than actually sleeping- so you won't risk nightmares. "

He looked at rhe other options, fingering the gem.

"The gem can be eaten and lasts for a month. Each time you rest it feeds off your dreams. You won't remember them when you awaken, and the effect lasts about a month. It's some sort of fae in origin so I'm not sure how you body will react to it."

Then he lifted the cuffed earring- it looked completely dwarfed pinched between his fingers. 

"And I have this earring, wear it and it'll bless you with a peaceful sleep. It's designed to pull at good memories- some sort of blessed charm. I've only used it a handful of times but seemed to work.  It stills the mind and will help your mind ignore those darker thoughts when you are sleeping. I'm not sure how long it's meant to last- it might be permanent, but as always- I can't promise how the blessed item might work on a elf. "

Goldie

Saoirse followed silently, feeling guilt? She could sense his agitation despite all of the effort he took to ensure her own comfort. He wasn't one to take failure lightly and this? If Callum was still alive? It was a massive failure...not that she blamed him for any of it, nor would she, but he had done all of those horrible things for her. He had attempted to destroy her own demons and now had to watch her battle nightmares knowing that the reason for them hadn't even properly been put down.

But maybe he was dead. He had to be dead. Only magic could have saved him, right? Or complete divine intervention? If he was alive...was it a God's will?

That was a terrifying thought.

She listened to his explanations of each items carefully and couldn't help the face she made, along with the quick shake of her head, when he mentioned the fae.

"I'll take the tonic." She picked up the vial and didn't even wait before throwing it back and placing the empty container back on the table, "I don't trust the Fae. And no earrings."

Then she tilted her head, "I guess I should have asked how long this takes to work...if I should have waited until I was in bed..."

visualspice

He smirked at how quickly she selected one- then downed it without any real reservations. 
"Well, considering you just knocked it back like liquor- the initial effects shouldn't take too long. You'll be out in the next ten minutes. "

He hesitated, studying her.

"You'll need to rest inside here- to be sure you can be watched since you won't be able to be awakened until its run its course."

Yes, her sleeping on the lip of the ship wasn't exactly an option now- especially if she were to sleep alone. Unless of course he strapped her in- the very idea amused him.

"Do you need anything before you sleep?" He asked, gesturing towards his large bed.

Goldie

Saoirse shrugged at his comment and smirk, not really thinking it was anything about the way she had handled it. He had offered her a few solutions and she trust him enough to know that he wouldn't intentionally put her at risk – he had even mentioned the possibilities of the other options going wrong without prompting. Besides, it had been weeks since she had slept longer than a few hours and the possibility of immediate relief was just too good to pass on.

She nodded when he mentioned needing to be watched, "That makes sense." She added, then blushed a bit from a mix of shame and embarrassment, "Sleeping under the stars...helps with the nightmares, usually. At least makes the waking easier." She bit her lip and dropped her gaze to the floor, "Maybe it's stupid, but I didn't want you to know. So...thank you, I guess, for not judging me too harshly for my failings..."

It was getting more difficult to keep her eyes open and she blinked more often in an attempt to remain awake.

"Stay with me?" she murmured, reaching for his hand as she started to move towards the bed, "At least until I'm asleep?"

By the lady, the tonic worked quickly, and by the sound of things she wouldn't be able to wake until it wore off. Maybe that was a terrifying thought but...right now it sounded lovely. After everything, to be here, to know that Opus was alive, to know that she would be safe with him by her side....

It felt like a blessing, despite the horrors he committed. Perhaps she was a fool to trust him so completely. Maybe one day it would lead to her own doom, or perhaps she was just lucky to have attracted his positive attentions.