Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Ad Astra Per Aspera [M] [@MorningStar]

Started by wandering_giraffe, December 19, 2023, 06:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wandering_giraffe

Valerian was breathing heavily, trying to regain control of herself. Gods, she still wanted his blood...she could hear it pulsing, hear it throbbing in his veins.
She slumped down, clenching and unclenching her fists.
"Wow..." she whispered,
"You are truly amazing..."

MorningStar

Despite the chilly air, Adrian's forehead glistened with sweat from the intense passion they had just shared. He grinned slyly in response to her compliment and extended a hand to help her back up.

"The feeling is mutual," he said confidently. "We should do it again sometime. But next time, easy on the neck, please."

He rubbed the fang marks on his neck, sensing a tinge of guilt for engaging intimately with someone he'd typically consider the enemy. However, the overwhelming feeling of blissful satisfaction outweighed any reservations.

wandering_giraffe

Valerian took his hand, slowly standing up, while looking at the marks she had left on his neck.
"Why do I care this much? It doesn't make sense!" She growls in frustration.
"But yes...we should do it again sometime," she admitted, licking her lips clean of the blood.
"I know your name...but, who are you, to have achieved such a hold on me in such little time?" It was a question devoid of hostility.

MorningStar

A small, sly smile graced his lips at her remark. He had a hold on her? And here he thought it was the other way around, her seductive allure rendering him powerless to her charms, ready to throw away his career to give her his body.

It felt good to hear that.

"As I said," he began, fishing through his pockets in search of something. "I'm Adrian Styx, nothing more."

From his pocket, he pulled out a notepad, scribbling something down on one of the pages before tearing it out and handing it to the woman. It was his address.

"This is me," he informed her. "Stop by sometime. I could use your help, and obviously, I'll provide favor for a favor."

wandering_giraffe

Valerian raised an eyebrow.
"You could use my help? I'm flattered, but you do realize I'm a vampire, yes? Hunters and vampires are like oil and water...we don't mix."
Well, except for these two, apparently.
She did fold the paper carefully and put it in her pocket.
"I might take you up on that offer."
She sent a sly smile and a wink his way.

MorningStar

"Oh, I don't know," he began slowly, letting his fingers trace her cheek as he gave her a suggestive look. "I think we mix quite well."

He slung his bag over his shoulder, the one he dropped before having her in the alleyway, and turned heel to walk away.

Pausing for a moment, he peered over his shoulder to give her one last look. "My door will always be open for you," he said in a low tone. "I'll make it worth your while."

wandering_giraffe

She watched him leave and exhaled.
"See you soon, Adrian," she whispered, an unreadable smile playing at her lips.
——————————————————————————————

two days later

Valerian found herself on Adrian's doorstep, clutching the piece of paper with his address on it, knocking on his door.
"Hello? Adrian? It's me...Valerian. You said you could use my help?"

MorningStar

After a fleeting moment, the door groaned open, unveiling Adrian in a state of semi-undress. Standing upright, he displayed a stature defined by the absence of a shirt, his body adorned with scars earned in the course of his labor. Nevertheless, he sported pants and boots, all securely fastened. A faint smile graced his features as he stepped away from the doorway, allowing it to remain ajar.

"I'm glad you came," he remarked, his voice reaching her as he sought out a shirt. "Come in."

wandering_giraffe

Valerian's breath caught in her throat when he opened the door, and she quickly tried to compose herself.
"Thank you," she said as she walked into his house.
"Nice place," she complimented, finding a seat and sitting down.

MorningStar

Adrian's place was modest, an open concept with essentials that made it a home. A bed, a kitchen area, a collection of whiskey, a coffee station - his main vice besides drinking, smoking, and hunting supernatural creatures - and a fireplace with two armchairs nearby, one currently occupied by Valerian.

He handed her a cup of freshly brewed coffee before taking a seat across from her, his own mug in hand.

"Thanks," he replied softly. "Nice face."

He let that flirtatious comment linger, considering how best to broach the real reason for their meeting.

wandering_giraffe

Valerian felt herself blushing again, just from that one compliment. Gods, this man...
She took a sip of the hot coffee.
"I'm normally not a coffee drinker but this...this is really good."

She leaned back in her seat, studying him with a calculated gaze.
"So, Adrian, what do you need my help with?"

MorningStar

He nodded in approval at her remark, taking a sip of the black coffee. He eased back into his seat, crossing one leg over the other in a surprisingly relaxed manner, given the potential threat of his current company.

Just as he began to speak, he halted.

It had been a considerable stretch of time since he had sought the assistance of a vampire to locate others of her kind, a task not particularly in his comfort zone or one he took pride in.

Eventually, he sighed and broke the silence. "Are you familiar with the coven called the Crimson Veil?"

wandering_giraffe

Valerian visibly stiffened upon hearing that name.
The Crimson Veil...only the rival coven that practically the rest of the vampire underworld hated.
"Don't tell me you've affiliated yourself with that putrid sorry excuse for a coven," she growled, leaning forward in her seat, her hand clenching her coffee cup so tightly it seemed it would crack.
"We've been trying to eliminate them for decades...but we can't find where they're based out of..."

MorningStar

Her reaction proved remarkably unexpected. Typically, when he approached vampires about their kin, the responses were emotionless - unwilling to engage unless there was a tangible benefit for them.

However, with Valerian, he discerned a shift in demeanor. She appeared rigid, almost seething with anger.

Her reaction left him both relieved and disappointed. It seemed unlikely she would hinder his pursuit of the coven, but it also suggested she lacked any leads on their whereabouts.

"They've taken something very important from me," he confessed, adopting a relaxed posture that sharply contrasted with her tension. "I've got a score to settle, but I don't know where they are."

That was enough. She did not need to know more than that for the time being.

wandering_giraffe

"I do know that they are notorious for their attacks on mortals without any real justification..."
She tapped the side of her coffee cup, thinking.
"There is a small outpost right outside of Zantaric...it's not the main one, no one knows where that is...but perhaps we could find some clues there. It would be risky; but it's doable. They might have some records there."

MorningStar

His gaze held a gentle yet firm intensity as she briefed him on the outpost. The prospect seemed fraught with risk, but such concerns held little sway over him. However...

What was her angle? His relentless pursuit to uncover the truth behind his family's murder had often driven him to uncomfortable lengths, but forging an unexpected alliance with the very creatures he hunted was uncharted territory for him.

Despite her apparent cooperation, Adrian couldn't shake the nagging suspicion that lay beneath the surface. The perplexing question echoed in his mind - why would a vampire, especially one like Valerian, extend a helping hand in a mission that seemed contrary to her kind's usual self-interest? Doubt lingered in Adrian's thoughts, a shadow of uncertainty hinting at ulterior motives concealed within her seemingly altruistic gestures.

Granted, he barely had room to speak, having an arsenal of ulterior motives himself.

"Valerian," he addressed her quietly. "When we met, I tried to kill you. The next time we met, I fucked you. This relationship is not necessarily... conventional. Why help me?"

wandering_giraffe

"Simple," she explained,
"I grow tired of doing the same things everyday. And...as much as I hate to admit this, you intrigue me."
She sipped her coffee.
"And the Crimson Veil is a coven I absolutely despise. With every fiber of my being. So," she relaxed in her chair, "anything I can do to even annoy them, I will go out of my way to do."
Her voice grew softer.
"Besides...you intrigue me at the very least...it's risky, me being involved with someone I should be trying to kill...but who doesn't love a little bit of risk?"

MorningStar

You intrigue me.

She said it twice. He wasn't a stranger to these type of comments before, but still.. why did cause him to get hot in the cheeks when she said it?

She was a vampire. He was a vampire hunter. Lust was one thing, but feelings should have been out of the question. Was he getting soft?

He bottled those thoughts down and gave her a subtle grin. "Fair enough," he replied. "Then let's take a risk together. How far is it to this outpost?"

wandering_giraffe

"About a two days journey, once we get close we will have to leave the road...it's not an easy trek."
"They will definitely recognize me...I've had run-ins with some of them before..."
She set down the coffee mug.
They are dangerous, but you're a vampire hunter, yes? I have a few ideas on how we can get inside safely."
Her crimson eyes glittered with something...excitement...bloodlust?
"I might just have to feed while we're there..."

MorningStar

His brow furrowed as he leaned in, chin cradled in his hands with elbows on his knees. "If you need to feed, use me," he said flatly. "I would prefer if you didn't prey on any more humans in front of me."

He delved into her crimson eyes before continuing.

"Sometimes danger is what makes things fun, but what are your ideas?"