Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Just Give Me Your Name [MorningStar]

Started by Goldie, January 07, 2024, 05:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldie

"You could have asked, or had a conversation or something!" she snapped back. Her head was pounding and she pinched the bridge of her nose to try and mitigate the throbbing.

"Now you're going to be stuck like that for...for..." she felt light a weight was pressing against her shoulders, "Shit." she murmured, forcing her legs to carry her to the closest surface as she slumped against it, while still somehow managing to stand.

"No no no no no no..." she had gotten too close. She had dragged him like an idiot, without thinking, and gotten the same powder on her...it must not take a lot. Or maybe the more there was the faster the effects rather than the stronger...

Her knees buckled and she pitched forward, only just barely able to catch herself before falling onto her face as he legs went completely numb. With a grunt she turned herself on her side to face Kaito as the rest of her body lost feeling except for her eyes.

The alarm continued to blare and then there were footsteps. Voices.

"Elowyn?" Her uncle, Lord Harrington, and a contingent of trusted guards stood in the doorway staring at her, not yet noticing Kaito to their right.
A duck walked up to a lemonade stand.....

MorningStar

Kaito, taking advantage of the chaotic situation, harnessed his art of illusion to conceal his identity, transforming back into the debonair stranger he had impersonated at the party. However, the effects of his recent paralysis interfered with the illusion, leaving traces of his true appearance. His vibrant red hair and distinctly fox-like ears persisted, creating an odd juxtaposition with the refined image he tried to project - and one that he was unaware of.

Fully aware that he couldn't maintain his concealment indefinitely in this tumultuous scenario, he theatrically cleared his throat.

"Um, dearest Elowyn," he chimed in a sing-song tone. "This is certainly not the romantic adventure I envisioned when you proposed the idea."

His gaze then landed on Lord Harrington and the guards, offering them an exaggerated display of surprise. "Oh, greetings," he said with an embarrassed grin. "You must be Lord Harrington."

Goldie

Lord Harrington stiffened, only just noticing the man, and exchanged a look between his niece and the stranger. Elowyn knew him as a man of action, of planning, and this scene had sent a waive of surprise across his features that was unusual for the man she knew him to be.

"Take her upstairs. Guest rooms." He ordered the guards, "Careful with her, my brother-in-law will kill you if you're not." He stepped forward and knelt down before Kaito, firm expression returning to cover his surprise, "Dust her off first." He added with a glance over his shoulder.

Elowyn stayed silent. She was embarrassed. Nervous. Anxious. She didn't think her uncle would hurt her but...she also had never done something this blatantly illegal and deceitful in her life. He could charge her if he wanted, and she would lose.

Then she was lifted off the ground, slumped limply against the arms of the guard who carried her, and was deposited on the guest room bed as the door was firmly shut and locked behind her.

Lord Harrington remained with Kaito and simply looked at him.

"I don't believe you." He hissed, but didn't move any closer, "She has turned away every suitor presented to her since she turned 16. Even tonight. And I think you'll be willing to tell me all about you and how you managed to get into this room after the effects of this concoction wears off." He waived his hand and the soldiers came forward with gloved hands and masks to remove any excess before dragging him off.

MorningStar

In the dimly lit underground chamber, Kaito found himself subjected to a merciless interrogation by Lord Harrington. Unlike Elowyn, who appeared to have been taken back into the primary household, the kitsune found himself in another room in the Lord's lair.

Tied to a chair, he squinted against the harsh glare of a solitary bulb dangling overhead. Harrington's stern expression bore down on him as a series of relentless questions cut through the tense atmosphere.

"Who are you?" Harrington demanded, his voice sharp and authoritative. The room echoed with the intensity of the interrogation.

Kaito, still feeling the effects of the paralyzing dust, managed a defiant glare. "I already told you," he retorted, though his words were punctuated by the unmistakable groan of pain as one of the guards delivered a powerful punch to his stomach.

Undeterred, Lord Harrington continued his relentless inquiry. "Who sent you? What are you after?"

The room seemed to close in on Kaito as he struggled to maintain composure. The interrogator's accusations became a barrage, each question aimed at unraveling the enigma of Kaito's presence in the underground labyrinth.

"What is your involvement with my niece?" Harrington's voice grew sharper, and the tension in the room reached its zenith. Kaito's eyes darted around, searching for an escape as the effects of the dust began to wane, allowing him a gradual return to mobility.

"As I said," he said with a cough. "A suitor. Nothing more."

The ropes binding him to the chair strained against his shifting movements. With each passing moment, Kaito regained control over his limbs, fueled by a determination to withstand the unrelenting interrogation.

Goldie

The dose of paralysis wore off on Elowyn earlier than it would for Kaito as she had, what she was considering, second hand dust exposure. It didn't make the process any less exhausting, though, as she was forced to stare at the canopy for an undetermined amount of time until she could twitch her fingers, then her toes.

Her Uncle had stopped by for a little while and she kept playing the conversation over and over in her brain. Had she said things that would hurt Kaito? Was it something she even needed to worry about? Wouldn't it be best to just forget him and move on?

"Why were you in that room, Elowyn." He asked. Using her name was the issue with the conversation. No one really knew except her, but part of being so directly tied to the fae had its...disadvantages.

"I was bored." She answered, picking the truth out of the story that wouldn't make things worse, "He seemed interesting."

"So you broke into our room? Looked through our things like a common thief?!" He was angry. Far angrier than she had ever seen him and she would have jumped when his fist hit the headboard just behind her if she had any control over her body.

"I'm sorry." She croaked, and she was, "I'm so sorry, Uncle..."

"Did he do anything to you? Spell? Promises?"

"N...no..." she stuttered, also the truth

And that had been it. She hadn't seen him since, but the door remained locked and when she was finally able to sit up, there was nothing she could actually do. A change of clothes had been provided and she found herself slipping out of the gown and into the more practical cotton dress. It wasn't quite a nightgown, but it was certainly simpler than what she would wear on a normal day. She slipped a shawl around her shoulders and knocked quietly at the door.

It opened.

"Lady Elowyn." The guard opened the door, "I'm sorry, but you're not to leave this room."

"Devon," she spoke his name, locking eyes deliberately, "I'm unwell and need fresh air. Please."

"Of course, My Lady." He stepped aside, unaware of the influence she had been able to use on him.

"Devon, where is my Uncle?"

He seemed uneasy and she knew she needed to be careful. She couldn't get whatever she wanted and push too far and the subject would know they were being controlled. "The lower chambers in his room."

She nodded, understanding. He would be with Kaito, she knew it in her gut. Which meant they were both down there and who knows what was happening...

Kia, what was she doing? This...she wouldn't be able to come back from this. She would have to run...if she tried to help him...this was stupid. She should go back into the room. She should just forget about the fox-faced man...but...

"Devon." She said softly, "Let my Uncle know I've left the room?"

And then he was walking briskly down the hallway to do just that. And Elowyn followed, planning to keep some distance, hide in the shadows, until she was able to slip in and, at the very least, let Kaito go.

MorningStar

Devon's heavy footsteps echoed through the dimly lit chamber as he entered, his eyes catching the unsightly scene before him. Lord Harrington, fueled by a desperate need for answers, relentlessly interrogated the fox-like man while a fellow guard, fueled by aggression, landed merciless punches into the captive's ribs.

Kaito, bound to a chair, felt the effects of the magic slowly lifting, granting him the return of mobility. Despite this newfound freedom, he remained confined by the tight grip of the ropes, rendering him temporarily powerless in the situation.

As Devon took in the chaotic tableau, Kaito subtly acknowledged his presence.

Before Kaito could muster any words or actions, Devon spoke, "Lord Harrington, I have news."

"Well?" Harrington replied sharply. "What is it?"

Devon cleared his throat. "Lady Elowyn has left her room."

"She what?!"

This news seemed to have altered the course of the interrogation. The revelation that Elowyn had left her room triggered a visible transformation in Lord Harrington's countenance. A storm of rage brewed within him, darkening his features.

"Don't just stand there!" Lord Harrington barked, urgency in his voice as he briskly approached the room's door. "We have to find her!"

In the wake of his departure, a brief moment of quiet enveloped the chamber. Kaito observed the hurried exit of Lord Harrington and the newest guard, realizing he was left alone with but one of Harrington's men - the enforcer.

Goldie

"I'm sorry My Lord!" Devon gasped as the two men, plus a handful of other guards, rushed from her uncle's room and down the way they'd come, "she said she was ill I thought...I thought..."

A string of curses left Harrington's lips as they dashed down the corridor while Elowyn crouched behind a large statue on the other side. She just hoped there weren't more guards inside...

Her heart pounded in her chest, threatening to explode, and she had to take a few breaths before she was able to stand and slip through the door. This wasn't who she was. She wasn't a thief. She wasn't some professional sneak. She was the first-born of a noble family who was too stupid to just leave well enough alone.

The room was empty, but it wasn't difficult to discern where they had come from - and she went.

But not before slipping a knife into her sleeve - a letter opener really, but she couldn't be picky...so "armed" she began her descent.

But she didn't know where to go. She didn't know the secrets of this place...what if...but...everything was open. In fact, they were so open that it was almost like a beacon that told her exactly where to go. Had her leaving her room really made them panic this much? That meant...her uncle thought she knew more...that he wanted to ask more questions...

Kia, if she had stayed what might be have done?

She brushed the thought from her mind. It didn't help calm her nerves to think about her uncle torturing her for answers she didn't have and she didn't actually know if he would have gone that far.

Another open door.

She slipped her head slowly around the corner and immediately pulled back, breath coming wildly. Kaito was there, tied to a chair and badly beaten.

But that wasn't the worst of it.

She didn't know the guard. She didn't know his name.

Shit.

MorningStar

Time to escape.

As Kaito felt the effects of the dust fully wearing off, he found himself regaining control of his limbs. The room, now mostly empty except for one guard left to keep watch, presented an opportunity for him to escape the chair he was confined to. The remaining guard continued Lord Harrington's line of questioning, interrogating Kaito with punches to the ribs and jaw, demanding to know who he was, why he was there, and how he discovered the hidden chamber.

Kaito needed to create a brief diversion to halt the guard's assault, but how? He couldn't rely on a simple "look behind you!" trick. Then, recalling the earlier distraction involving Lord Harrington's niece, he devised a plan.

With wearied eyes from the torture, Kaito feigned surprise, gazing over the guard's shoulder. "Elowyn?" he coughed, unaware of her actual presence. "What are you doing?! Get out of here!"

That worked. Caught off guard by Kaito's words, the guard turned around hastily, attempting to locate the woman he believed was nearby.

Drawing on his unique abilities, Kaito harnessed the power of his fire elemental nature. Using the flickering flames of his kitsune tails, he strategically burned away the ropes binding him to the chair. Simultaneously, he employed his art of illusion, creating multiple phantom images of himself to confuse the guard. "Over here," one said, "no over here!" called another.

In the chaos that ensued, Kaito deployed a smoke bomb, creating a dense fog that provided the perfect cover for his escape. He deftly slipped past the disoriented guard.

As he made his way through the hazy environment, Kaito's path led him unexpectedly into something, causing him to stumble and fall.

To his surprise, the obstacle turned out to actually be Elowyn, and he locked eyes with her with a sense of confusion. Mirroring her words earlier that night, he simply said, "well, this is certainly unexpected."

Goldie

He said her name. He said her name. Oh Kia, what was she going to do? The hall behind her was too long and there wasn't anything to hide behind. She hadn't even realized he had seen her let alone planned to turn her in.

Stupid. She was so stupid. She didn't even know him! Of course he wouldn't hesitate to use her to free himself.

She was frozen against the corridor wall. She couldn't get her feet to move as she waited for the guard to grab her and then her real problems would begin. She couldn't talk her way out of this.

But...the guard never came. There was...shouting...and then smoke and then something slammed against her and she fell heavily into the wall.

"Kaito?" She breathed when she realized that it had been he who hit her, "I...thought you...might need help..." she realized how silly the whole thing sounded. She was a Lady with zero experience other than batting her eyes and finding a husband and all of the awful things expected of her. He didn't need her help.

And then the guard left the room, blinded by the smoke, and grabbed the only thing he could see while the man lay sprawled on the floor: her.

He slammed her into the wall and her head cracked against stone making her vision go black for a few moments.

"Where is he!?" the guard demanded, a large hand pressing against her throat as he pinned her to the wall.

MorningStar

Acknowledging her presence and assistance, Kaito couldn't suppress a smile, a flutter of something indescribable stirring in his belly. It felt as if the world had momentarily paused, offering him the chance to extend his hand, a silent invitation for her to join him.

But that fleeting moment shattered when the guard descended upon her, the sickening thud of her skull meeting the wall audible amidst the chaos Kaito had unleashed. The discomfort in Kaito's gut intensified.

"Pardon me, sir," Kaito growled, low and menacing, as he swiftly intervened. Gripping the guard's shoulder, he forcefully yanked him away from Elowyn, delivering a solid blow to the jaw. The guard crumpled to the ground, disoriented and struggling to regain composure.

"Ow, shit!" Kaito winced, shaking his hand from the impact. Fighting wasn't his forte, but the satisfaction was undeniable.

Turning his attention back to Elowyn, sensing her disorientation, Kaito apologized, "Sorry, dear, can't be helped." Without further ado, he scooped her up, hoisting her over his shoulder, and raced down the chamber, aiming for an opportunity for both of them to escape.

Goldie

Her ears were ringing and her vision swimming when the guard started questioning her. She was so disoriented she didn't even register anything other than voices just...mumbling. It was hard to breathe and even that was difficult to discern why.

But she wouldn't have to wonder for long because the pressure against her throat disappeared and she felt her legs give way beneath her own, slight weight.

And then she was moving.

More voices.

No.

Just one. Familiar.

"Kaito?" Her voice was quiet. Her head was pounding.

MorningStar

"Yep, that's me," he replied as he sprinted through the labyrinth in the underground chamber.

Elowyn slung over his shoulder, he maneuvered through the shadows, hoping to elude their relentless pursuers. The distant echoes of footsteps spurred him to push harder, leading them up a flight of stairs until he found refuge in a concealed room. The sounds of the ongoing party above hinted at the proximity to the main floor.

Now in the relative safety of the concealed room, Kaito gently lowered Elowyn to the ground, concern etched on his features. He knelt beside her, carefully examining her face and studying her eyes to assess the extent of any injuries.

"Still with me, love?" he asked in a hushed tone.

Goldie

Everything was spinning and the sudden shift in equilibrium when he lowered her onto the floor wasn't helping. Her head had hit the stone harder than she realized and a waive of nausea swept through her body. A quick close of her eyes and a few deep breaths helped squash it, at least for the time being.

"I'm here." She murmured, trying to steady her eyes to keep him in focus. "You were attacked pretty badly...are you ok?"

She reached up to gently touch one of the many places that he'd been struck, as if her fingers would be able to heal him or something. Kia, her head hurt and even the faintest of lights was causing her to wince away and the muffled sound of the party felt much louder than it actually was.

"You should go. They won't hurt me." But that was a lie, wasn't it? The guard knew who she was. The guard would have been trusted by her uncle to keep a valuable prisoner in custody by himself. She might not know him, but she knew her uncle. If that man hadn't thought twice about cracking her skull against a wall...

She was in trouble...

MorningStar

"Oh, this?" he inquired, offering a reassuring smile. "Just a minor scrape, nothing to worry about." It was evident that he was fabricating the truth, and he made no attempt to conceal the fact. Meanwhile, Elowyn appeared to be in a more distressed state, likely a consequence of the head trauma she had endured. In reality, the beatings Kaito endured in the underground chamber were excruciating. He wasn't adept at physical combat, more inclined toward trickery and magic, and the pain radiated through his ribs, hinting at the possibility of them being on the verge of cracking.

And then she said it: You should go. They won't hurt me.

Was that true? He could hardly believe that after what he had seen that night.

For the first time that evening, Kaito's usually playful eyes bore the weight of guilt. He couldn't shake the feeling that he should never have allowed Elowyn to accompany him on this "adventure." His insatiable intrigue had led them into a dangerous situation, and now, the consequences were unfolding.

As the distant echoes of pursuit grew louder, Kaito grappled with a difficult decision. Leaving Elowyn behind could mean safety for himself, but he couldn't fathom what awaited her alone. The shadows seemed to whisper threats, and the air was thick with the tension of the impending danger.

In a hushed tone, Kaito spoke, his voice laced with remorse. "I never should have let you come with me. This is my fault." He glanced around, searching for any sign of escape. "We're being hunted, and I don't know what's waiting for you if I leave you behind. I can't take that chance."

Goldie

She blinked a few times, taking deep steadying breaths to force her head to behave, but she was tired. So, so, unbelievably tired. If she could just close her eyes and sleep for a bit, everything would be better when she woke up.

But that would be rude. He was talking to her. And he was saying...what? That he couldn't leave her behind?

That was...surprising. Shocking, really.

"So...am I to be a hostage then?" It didn't sound like that was his intent, but she couldn't really figure out another reason he'd want to bring her with him. She had no marketable skills. She couldn't actually offer any assistance in his quest for secrets and treasures. If anything, taking her would put him in more danger - they would follow him with much more conviction.

The door to their room opened and Ellen near jumped out of her skin, eyes wild as the figure in the door loomed over them.

"You didn't see us, Devon." she snapped without thinking, thanking Kia that this was the same guard from before; that she knew him. "This room is clear." And then she slumped against the wall as his eyes glazed for a moment before he exited the way he came and shouted the all clear down the corridor.

MorningStar

Kaito blinked in response to her question, but as he witnessed the remarkable abilities she possessed, his eyes widened in awe. They stood at the brink of potential capture, yet, with a swift command and a compelling influence evident in her eyes, the guard dismissed any suspicion of their presence, diverting attention elsewhere.

As Kaito pondered who this enigmatic girl truly was, a subtle smile graced his lips once more. He examined her eyes, searching for understanding.

"My hostage," he repeated slowly, the words lingering in the air. "Yes. If you'll allow me the privilege of being your captor, I solemnly swear to do my utmost in holding you hostage."

Goldie

"I...what?" She stuttered, confusion clearly written across her features. She rubbed her hand across her eyes as if trying dash away sleep, but that didn't offer any more understanding to her current situation.

"You...you want my permission to be a hostage? I don't..." she shook her head and then immediately regretted it as another wave of nausea threatened to consume her. With a groan she closed her eyes and let her head rest against the wall while attempting to compose herself.

She reached up to feel the back of her head where it had been hit and felt something sticky against her fingers along with a nasty knot that was unmistakable.

"I don't understand." She finally finished.

MorningStar

Kaito's attention was drawn to the sight of blood on Elowyn's fingertips, and a pang of regret surged through him.

Oh, duh. She probably has a concussion. Get it together, Kaito.

Mindful of her discomfort, he gently cupped the girl's cheeks with his hands, ensuring their eyes met. "I want you to understand this: facing fewer consequences means being my hostage rather than my accomplice. You're injured, and I can help you, but we need to leave."

Carefully, he let his hands slide off of her face, before tearing a rather large fragment of his clothing off. Then, he used it as a makeshift bandage, wrapping it around her head to help with the bleeding.

However, uncertainty lingered in his expression as he bit his lip, questioning whether she comprehended his words. He added softly, "What I mean is, come with me. Please."

Goldie

She frowned at his question, thinking it over. He was right. If she was brainwashed or kidnapped or something it took the ownership off of her own decisions. It kept her safer if she ever wanted to return...it kept her from being branded a traitor but...

Was that fair to him? If she chose to come with him, was it fair to let him take the weight of that choice? To take all of the responsibility?

"Can I ask you a question." She asked, staring intently into his eyes as he bound the cloth around her head. Oh how silly she must look.

"Like...ask you." She didn't know how else to word it, "Like...like how I talked to the guard? To Devon?" Why was she even offering him a choice? From what she understood, if it was an innocent enough command people didn't even notice.

But...that crossed a line didn't it? And she found she didn't want to cross that line with him.

MorningStar

Kaito met her gaze with a discerning intensity, carefully parsing the implications of her request. It seemed she alluded to the peculiar influence she held over people, a power not lost on Kaito. Known for his knack for deception and trickery in his line of work, Kaito found himself hesitant to employ his usual tactics with Elowyn. There was an unspoken trust that lingered between them, a sentiment he couldn't quite rationalize.

Despite the uncertainty of their connection, Kaito chose not to weave a web of lies around Elowyn. Perhaps it was the fact that she had come to his aid earlier, or maybe there was something more genuine that drew him to trust her.

The momentary frown etching his lips in contemplation gradually shifted into a subtle smile, a fusion of warmth and newfound confidence in his eyes. "If it puts your mind at ease," he offered, extending an invitation, "then ask away."