Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Howl to the Moon

Started by Anonymous, January 16, 2005, 02:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Yaaoi stepped onto the streets of the village, drawn by a tantalizing smell from the concealment of the bordering forest. With deft fingers she straightened her dark blue pants which were drawn in by black cords woven at the hems and rim along her waist and ankles, the cords tied in a simple bow type tie. Although you couldn't see the black cord threaded through the rim of her pants, a black sash tied around it blocked it. The sash had a decorative purpose and it served as a belt of a sort, it being twisted into a loop to hold a scabbard in it's grasp. She then bothered to straightened her dark blue shirt, her hand travelling up the opposite sleeves to unrumple the under robe's bothersome sleeve as she then withdrew her hands and tucked her thumbs back through the holes on the hem simply for that purpose. She then straightened the color of the softer, lighter blue under robe, the collar being seen above her shirt's.

She sighed softly as she finished, looking decent enough for a civlized place. She almost forgot about her hair.. she pulled the black sash loose and raked her digits through the long brown locks and gathered her hair in a ponytail, slipping her hair through a loop on one end on the peculiar sash and follding her hair over a few times into a bun, everyone and awhile wrapping the sash around until finally she slipped the other loop to secure the bun. Yay! She was done with her hair, she grumbled as she dragged her open-toed, black slipper like shoes across the ground for a moment. But the incredible smell of some kind of bird brought her to a small house, sniffing at it. God, it smelled so good. She touched her tongue to her upper lip, sighing, her stomach grumbling. She wasn't starving, far from it. She was well-toned and fit, just hungry. Yaaoi groaned but decided to lurk the streets, just to find something or some relative interest.

[Boring. I know. But it deleted my last post of Yaaoi! My stupid computer just gone off and it went to another site and I lost the post!!! GRR!]

Anonymous

A soothing melody floated through the back alleys of the town, soft, but predominant among the hustle and bustle of the humans. The gentle notes danced in the air, almost tangable in their richness.
Whoever was playing was quite skilled.

The melody would lead one down as many walkways as they were willing to follow, until they realized the sound came from above. A little figure was perched on one of the higher rooftops, sitting indian-style and calmly playing a bone-white flute. Their chin-length hair fluttered, flashing it's golden color in the sunlight. Both eyes were shut, a slender, childish face set in a look of serene concentration. Their clothing was a bit baggy, but very simply. Light brown pants, and a white tunic, both a bit ragged and weather-beaten.
Pointed ears adorned the musician's head, two leathery wings folded against their back. A draconic tale, smooth and unscaled, sat curled around their body.

Sitting so serenely as they were, it was almost hard to tell if the young person was male or female.
And still they played on...

Anonymous

The sweet melody touched her sensitive ears and she glanced around, following the tune until she caught the faint scent of someone, her now pale blue eyes drifting upwards to gaze at the hunched figure. She squinted her eyes as she bent her knees, jumping as she landed lightly beside the rather tattered looking being. She sniffed at it, although not close. She could smell it from the 10 feet away she was. Was it male.. or female? She drew in great gulps, looking at the tail around it's waist. What in the world was this being... It created lovely music but still!

She herself was small, standing at only 5 foot 3 as she gazed at it's face, eyes scanning that serene, thin and almost child-like face. She let a soft breath escape as she eyed it suspiciously. Her brows arched over her eyes. She yawned softly.

"Who are you?" She asked it with a curious voice as she remained perched on the ledge of the building.

She glanced around, liking the view of the village she had. It was nice to know where the alleys led and the random stands for food were. She watched the people with little interest and back to this unusual being, watching him with an accusingly suspicious face.

Anonymous

The small being ceased the beautiful music and removed the flute from it's mouth. The bone white instrument dissapeared within the worn clothing, and the lovely, childish face grinned. Sharp little canines were flashed in that grin, before the creature spoke, in an equally harmonious voice as it's music.

"Hi! My name is Waelin. Who are you?" It responded, and suddenly took on the air of a young male with fair features. So, that made the 'it' a 'he'.
He seemed awfully cheerful, smooth white tail swaying side to side beside his slender frame. The two wings fluttered and stretched lightly as he awaited a response to his own inquiry.

Anonymous

Yaaoi touched a finger to her lip as she studied this.. being. It bore wings and a tail, and now appeared human. She inhaled deeply, finding now that his scent was obviously male. She snorted softly as she drew herself closer to the ledge, peering down to the ground with curious, now sweltering blue eyes. She slipped her tongue out over her lower lip, the tip touching the top. It was a movement of habit as she straightened to look on her newest project. She slowly tilted her head to one side, cocking it in a most curious of fashion.

"Yaaoi.. What are you?" Her small brows arched over her eyes curiously.

His beautiful, sweet harmonious voice did not sway her. She ignored the urge to study the music like an encryption. Instead she opted to study him but her gaze detoured to study the building she stood upon, shifting on well bent knees. Her nose twitched to the various scents that lingered over everything. Her eyes lifted, sweeping around and then up to the sky and down again. She gave a steady yawn, her jaws stretching as a hand lifted to block it half-heartedly, hand falling away as her gaze bore at this.. "Waelin' character.

Anonymous

Waelin grinned again, his face brightning with the simple gesture. "Yaaoi." He tested the name out, rolling it around. "I like it! Very nice name, miss!" He finally responded cheerfully. His tail twitched again, seeming to move of its own accord much of the time.
Her next question was one he heard often. His appearance was similar to only one other's, and that was his older sister, Maelthra.
"I'm an enchanted Gargoyle statue, to be perfectly honest." He responded calmly, like it was the most natural thing in the world.
"What about you Yaaoi?" He had alot of fun saying her name, and was tempted to repeat it a few more times. But he got the feeling that would annoy her, and he didn't want to do that.
He loved meeting new people, not scaring them off!

Anonymous

Yaaoi's eyebrow twitched, liking her real name better. She lowered her nose to the ledge, nose working overtime as she listened to him. She lifted her head, blinking as she tried to understand what the hell a gargoyle statue was. She remembered them from one of her travels.. She blinked, leaning back on her heels, a brow arched as she looked deep in thought. She feels her weight shift as she starts slowly falling off the ledge. She gives a rather wolfish yelp as she shifts her weight. Yaaoi wasn't a cat - most likely she wouldn't land on her feet.

"Eh, wolf demon spirit," she said after a offhanded pause.

She stretched, arching her back as she listens to the cracks travelling up her spine and through her shoulders and neck. She leaned forward, not too close as she sniffs the air by this creature. She withdraws, a brow arched as she studies him quite calmly.

"Where ya from?" She asks slowly.

Anonymous

Waelin blinked as Yaaoi began sniffing at the ledge, confused as to why she would be doing that. He crawled over and sniffed at it as well, wondering what interesting smell had her attention. Though as she nearly fell, Waelin jerked and quickly grabbed her arm with one slender hand.
Once he was sure she wasn't actually going to fall, he released her and sat back.

"A wolf demon spirit?" He repeated, and it was obvious he had no idea what that was. But he didn't try to cover the fact, nor did he seem embarassed about it either. He simply moved on, not wanting to pry. His new aquaintance gave off the air of being a bit closed off to others, and he was trying to respect that as best his curious little self could.

The slender young man blinked rapidly as Yaaoi's back popped several times. "Are...are you alright??" He asked, worry reflecting in his voice. Were people's backs suposed to make that noise? He hoped she hadn't hurt herself...

Her next question caught him off guard. It wasn't one he heard often, even from people he had been around for awhile.
"Well, I'm from the Chapel, out on the coast. What about you?"

Anonymous

When she felt the grip upon her arm she stiffened but falls slack when he releases her. She thought he wouldn't know and she was proven correct. Her species wasn't well known because of the simple fact they were only known in one area. It was odd, she guessed, how her species had never spread from that area but they didn't. She didn't even know the name for it.

She gave a soft laugh as he asked if she was alright. She held a mild surprised as he seemed.. truly worried. She didn't know why he would. He didn't know her. It was very odd to her, and she already liked him - but she wouldn't let on. Not yet, she didn't know much about him.

"I don't.. We never called it anything and I never bothered to go find someone who did know," she responded, feeling slightly stupid with the revelation.

Yaaoi didn't know where she had come from. Just the name of her village but not the area. She had gone travelling and well, she lost track of things during her travels. Sometimes, during her travels, she bothered to ask where she was but she wasn't often in the woods and studied from afar. Once or twice she investigated the villages or cities. But otherwise, she didn't.

Anonymous

Waelin could only assume now that Yaaoi was alright, as she wasn't acting injured. Well, maybe wolf demon spirits could do things like that with their backs and not hurt themselves. However painful it sounded...

"Really? You don't know what it's called?" Waelin echoed, blinking softly. "How are you going to get home if you don't know the name? I hope you don't get lost Yaaoi." His voice held genuine concern and sincerity. It was quite obvious now he was a very honest and open creature. He probably didn't lie often either.
Waelin settled back into his original position, sitting indian style on the hard roof. "Do you miss your home?" He ventured, again unsure of how much Yaaoi was willing to say. He still really didn't want to pry...but...he was just too curious no to ask questions.
He hoped she wouldn't become offended...

Anonymous

Yaaoi blinked her brillant blue eyes very slowly at him. Get lost? But as his innocent and genuine concern slowly dawned on her she was briefly puzzled but decided she might as well be nice to him. He was, afterall, was a nice person and even she wasn't that mean. Actually, surrounded by friends she could be the most pleasant of all. But she was constantly in new situations and rarely was she in one for too long.

"I'll sniff my way back. I remembered all the smells..." she responded offhandedly.

She didn't really recall the places she had been but she knew the smells and could probably retrace her steps, however long that journey would be. She'd eventually find her home. Now, he interrupted her thoughts with another question.. Ah, did she miss her home? It took her a moment as she mulled over it and the soft pang in her heart told her that she did miss the village she had grown up and been raised in.

"Yes, I do. Do you miss your home?" She asked him, turning her face away and up to the sky, although watching him from the corner sneakily.

Anonymous

Waelin grinned, blue eyes alight with his usual kind nature. "Oh, sniff your way back? I'm glad you can do that!" He exclaimed cheerfully, glad he did not have to worry about her getting lost anymore.
Being lost was a terrible feeling indeed. He'd felt it one too many times himself.

Waelin was glad to see she was willing to answer his question, and shifted a bit as she turned it back on him. He sighed softly, and rubbed the back of his blonde head.
"Yes...I miss home alot. I really miss Father and my sister..."
He wrinkled his small nose in a rather cute gesture, but by his other facial expressions one could tell he did not try to be cute at all.
"But I can't go back and see them...well, I can, but I'd get in trouble. And I hate getting in trouble."

Father had a mean temper on him, and Waelin didn't want to be bringing that down upon his own head any time soon.

Anonymous

"I see. Why would you get in trouble? You don't have to answer. That's your own private buisness," she said as she turned her feminine face away, rather dialated, sweltering blue eyes gazing at the sky.

She steadied herself on the ledge, the scabbard of her sword tapping once against the building as her eyes flickered from Waelin to the golden orb hanging in the sky in sweet suspension and then along the winding, narrow alleys. She sighed as she gazed across as much of the village as she could see, nose twitching.

Yaaoi shifted, sweeping her eyes towards Waelin as they focused on him, but never in her eyes. Rule of the Wolf: a challenge was to meet eye to eye. So she refrained from doing so, despite wolf laws not applying in this situation she carried them dear to her. She let her body go lax as her head tilted, a brow arching over an eye as she watched him.

"I'm sorry to hear that you can visit them... That's horrible," she said softly, especially when you miss your family.

Anonymous

Waelin blushed lightly in embrassment at the question, grinning lightly. "Because...I ran away." Again he rubbed the back of his head, but this time in a sheepish manner befitting one as humorously embarassed as he.

He sat back for a moment, watching as Yaaoi took in everything around them. He grinned lightly as words came to him.
"This is why I like high places. You can see almost anything around you. And it puts you closer to the sky..."
He tilted his head back and stared up at the blue sky, wings stretching out for a moment as he considered flying. But no, that'd be rude. He was having a nice conversation with a new person, Yaaoi. He instead looked back down at her and smiled, an expression that came very easily to him.

"Oh, it's not horrible. I can go visit, I just don't want to right now. Heh, believe me, if you new Father, you wouldn't want to get into trouble either! He can be very scary." He nodded matter of fact, hands perched in his lap as he spoke. Yes...it was probably in his best interest right now not to go home and get chewed out.
"Once I get homesick enough, I'll end up going back and getting yelled at. But that's ok, because I still love my sister and Father, even if they do get mad at me."
His innocence and honesty were readily portrayed in just a few sentences.

Anonymous

"High places are nice indeed. I'm glad it's a rather simple situation," she responded, dipping her head in a nod.

She recognized his sincerity and she was still unaccustomed to his seemingly innocent and almost delicate nature. She wasn't saying he was weak, but more or less he just seemed... like an angel. How legends and lore potrayed them, angelic and pure beings. And sometimes the pictures were of innocent and nearly delicate creatures suspended by lustrous wings spun of ivory.

Her own story was not simple wandering. She was 161 years old, with neither husband and child. She bore no pups nor a mate and at the mention of father she remembered this with a pang. She was considered nearly a failure to her species but not a total. She was a skilled warrior and that was enough to make up for those void areas. She had, at one time, been a 'pet' of a human boy. He had kept her by the enchantment ceremony. He was the only one who could control and with his death she had spent a weak, at most, in random villages. Yaaoi, despite herself, had grown found of him, even if his nickname had been Wretch and she had never spoke his real name. Actually, only twice had she spoke his real name. The first time when he told it to her, how sour it had been on her tongue. But as he lay dying she had spoken, for the first time, with a tender and loving tone, his name. She had loved him like a brother or whelp, but now, what could she do? Her human had died. She had, now, only to simply wander.

Yaaoi's hand slipped into the pouch in her grasp, pulling a faded, scarlet necklace. After his death she had been able to take it off without recieving a horrible shock. She eyed the necklace and sniffed at it once, the smell of the blood embedded into the beads nearly extinct. She sighed and tucked it back into her pouch and let her gaze fall on Waelin.

"It must be amazing to fly," she commented.

Anonymous

Waelin blinked softly at the strange look she gave him, head tilted to the side slightly. This caused his light, feathery hair to shift, despite it being so short.  Her look soon passed to something else, and he waited patiently for her thought process to end. He was usually quite polite, if not a bit of a big-mouth. He was quite proud of his ability to stay silent at times during this conversation.

Light blue eyes locked onto the old necklace as soon as it was produced, inspecting it. The smell of old blood, however faint, was not lost on his surprisingly sensitive nose. He pondered for a moment whether or not to ask, but after seeing her reaction, immediately made up his mind. It was something emotional, and he had no right to pry.

Another smile lit up  his young face at her words. "Oh, it is wonderful! I should take you sometime, it's really beautiful. I should be deeply saddened if my wings were ever taken away... humans need their towns and cities, and the beasts need theirforests and plains, but I need my sky."
He nodded lightly as he spoke, a very expressive speaker. It seemed he said and did nothing without some sort of emotion attatched. But it gave him a sense of aliveness, of a creature that was happy to be sitting there right then, speaking with Yaaoi.
"Would you like to go flying some time? Unless maybe you are afraid of heights...I have heard some people are."

Anonymous

Yaaoi listened to him, continously, although mildly surprised by his emotion. He was such an alive being, such expression. He was a very alive being and a smile touched her lips as she glanced away. She sighed softly as she shifted, tilting her head and lifting an eyebrow over a blue eye. She held back something.. the inner beast that rose inside her, swelling immensly against her. But she denied it it's longing and looked back to Waelin. Her attention focused solely upon Waelin.

"Oh? That would be nice. I'm not afraid of heights.." she said, rubbing the back of her neck.

She breathed out slowly, brows arched over her eyes as suddenly she was swept away in a whirlpool of emotion. And downstream she went, falling deeper into the emotions she so often had forbidden of herself. It seemed like she was always playing a cruel joke on herself.

"Do you know how it feels to be saved, and then all of a sudden forced into something. Like a double-edged sword. And then, for about 75 years your dragged away by this person you could kill but they ruled you by one simple word.. And then all of a sudden, one day you realize that they're not so bad... and at that very same moment they're slipping away," she said softly, unable to stop the flow of words from her mouth.

He was so innocent and he just made her feel as if she could tell him anything in the entire world.. But no! She couldn't start revealing her entire history to this creature. She'd bore him to death. Such a long, stupid story her life was.

"I'm sorry. I don't know where that came from," she sighed as she glanced at Waelin.

Anonymous

Waelin's face lit up at her answer, wings flittering with excitement. "Really? Well, you just tell me when and I'll fly you anywhere you want!" He offered enthusiastically, quite happy she had accepted the offer. As if it wasn't apparent by the smile on his face, which flashed the slightly sharpened canines he bore.

The words that came from her next, so full of emotion, surprised him. Being as he was, Waelin shuffled closer to her, attentively listening. Feeling the saddness coming from her, Waelin frowned softly. The inflection in her voice was so...despairing...
One slender, claw-tipped hand was laid on her shoulder gently, trying to comfort.
"No, I haven't, I suppose..." He answered softly, watching her face.

Her next statement earned a small grin. "It came from here, of course." He answered, placing his free hand over his heart.
"And you don't have to apologize Yaaoi."

Anonymous

Yaaoi's shoulders lifted, callously ignoring how he himself dismissed her apology. To her, she shouldn't go around abbling about her past, however vague it appeared. It wasn't something she often did and perhaps her wolf pride thought she couldn't handle it.. Or was it more demonic pride than wolven? She didn't know but ignored the further pressing questions as she glanced back at Waelin.

"Maybe soon.. About the flying," she responded, an ear twitching as she sniffed the air, looking down into the darkened crevices below.

Her eyes roamed the shadows easily as she caught a few movements, a brow lifted as she saw a cat, snorting as the feline slunk away she wandered what had initially caught her attention.. Was someone down there? She leaned forward over the edge, gripping it with her hands as she sniffed the air. She didn't smell anything out of normalcy. Maybe her eyes were playing tricks on her. It often happened, of course.

"Is it just me or is there something odd going on?" She asked Waelin, glancing at him.

[lol, you get to choose -- felt it needed spicing up or something to happen unless you don't want it too ^~]

Anonymous

Waelin sighed as he was ignored, sitting back yet again and removing his hand from her shoulder. He again sat indian style, tail flipping around to rest in his lap. He managed a grin at her words, nodding. "Alright." Whenever she wanted to, he didn't mind taking her flying.
Her attention shifted, and Waelin tried to follow her gaze. He wasn't sure what it was she was seeing...

He too crawled to the edge and glanced around, wondering. He sniffed, and listened closely. Anything...abnormal...
It all checked out fine. But he was beginning to get the same feeling as Yaaoi.
A sudden chill ran up his spine, and he sat up, glancing around.
"I...I think maybe there is..."

Getting on all fours, Waelin skittled up to the arch of the roof and looked around warily, trying to pinpoint the feeling. What was it...?

(*Tries to think of something*)