Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

~`Peach Child`~

Started by Anonymous, August 07, 2006, 02:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Clover was in a sleep so deep, it was wonderfully devoid of the dull pain that had been sitting in her body all day. But it would not last.
As the strange liquid fell down her throat, her body forced her to begin to waken.
The slender girl groaned and tossed her head a few times before her eyes eventually opened, and the dull throb trickled back into her consciousness.
It took her a moment to realize she was laying on the bed, the softness at her back a great relief after riding all day.
So, she was reluctant to rise.

Finally though, she turned her head, only to see Duweit sitting patiently at her bedside. "Did I faint...?" She spoke softly, not even realizing the though had left her lips. The sharp pain that had caused the blood was gone now, though the dull copper taste sat heavily on her tongue, mingled with a foreign one.
"What...did you give me something? I can taste it in my mouth." She left out the 'along with my blood' part.

She immediately felt bad for causing such a scene, for she knew Duweit must have had to carry her back, and must have given her some sort of medication.
But now, the question was....
Would he ask about her bleeding?

Anonymous

Duweit sat up as he heard her groan. He was anxious, not knowing whether that was a good or bad thing as he could not see her moving. His face showed relief as he heard her soft voice, he leaned forward a little. “Yes,� he nodded again at her second question. “I did, it helps with general injuries and eases the pain a little. It was all I could give you without knowing what was wrong.�

And there it was. “Speaking of which,� he crossed his arms. “What sort of injury did you get? Any idea why you are bleeding?� Duweit was a little annoyed that she had already gotten hurt before he could have done anything to prevent it. Luckily only his concern showed on his face and in his voice, it was the stronger of the two feelings after all.

Anonymous

Ah, oh no! She couldn't explain it to him, not yet at least. What was she going to say?? She was no good at lying, so coming up with a story was out of the question.
He'd be able to tell, she was sure.
So, instead, she summoned up all the true feelings of surprise and shock, and spoke.
"I..I don't know. Maybe from riding all day...? I'm really not used to it...and it was dry in the desert...."
Maybe...maybe that was really it! Maybe the blood wasn't from that, maybe it was just from all that dry desert sand. It could have...dried out her lungs...or something...

Stiffling a sigh, she forced herself to sit up, wincing a bit as the soreness in her rump and lower back was all from that rough riding. It was then her stomach decided to protest not being fed, grumbling angrily, and as she whiped the fragrant tears from her cheeks, she looked down at her own tummy.
She hadn't eaten anything yet, had she...
Ah, and she hadn't brought any food either! She really wasn't up to going out and buying some now...but asking Duweit to do it was rude.
So, instead, she opted to stay silent on that matter.

"I...I am sorry for fainting and causing you trouble. I just...I was surprised and in shock, I guess..." That was one of the few times she had ever seen blood, and it was her blood, which made it worse.

Anonymous

Duweit gave her a sly look at her explanation. He sighed, “alright. Whatever happened, riding all day in the desert could have made it worse. As long as I know eventually and the treatment works you don’t have to tell me what happened yet. But I’m not gonna let you strain your self.�

He chuckled a little as he heard her stomach growl and went over to his backpack again. He pulled out a bag and gave it to her. Inside was some bread he had bought earlier this morning, so it was soft and wouldn’t aggravate the injury if it happened to be in that area. “Don’t worry about it. You’re not the first to faint at the sight of blood, I’ve even seen a few men do that.� He grinned and sat back down, though this time on the bed, next to her. “Let me guess, you haven’t eaten all day?�

Anonymous

Clover dipped her head at his response. Oh no...
He expected to be told later on...
Well, hopefully by then she could trust him enough to tell him. Maybe...
At least for now he was content with her answer.
The part about not letting her strain herself caused a slight quizzical look. How was he going to 'not' let her do that...?

She blushed as he chuckled at her, and she realized with dread that he had heard her stomach. But before she could speak, he was already standing and moving away, and it took but a few moments to realize he was getting her some food.
She would have liked to protest against him giving her his food, but as soon as it was close enough to her to smell, she forgot all thoughts of speaking.

She tore into the bread, though did it with surprising grace, and had eaten a good three large mouthfuls before he sat next to her.
The bed sagged, causing little Clover to tip to one side, until her head bumped his shoulder.

She quickly stiffened back into an upright position, blushing, and stuffed a bit more bread in her mouth. She was glad for the fact it had cleaned the taste of blood and medicine off of her tongue and throat.
She swallowed before answering, only looking at him from the corners of her eyes.
"N-no, I haven't really...I left so quickly...I forgot to bring food..."
Nervous again, she concentrated wholly on finishing the bread, which did not take long at all.
Afterwards, silence settled, and she could not think of a thing to say.
Awkward...

Anonymous

He blinked at the sudden contact, looking over to the spot Clover touched before looking to where she was. With Duweit’s shirt in the way he did not know it was her head that bumped his shoulder. Though it certainly was not her hand, so it must have been on accident and not to get his attention. She really must have left in a hurry if she forgot to bring supplies. Again he wondered just how much trouble Clover was in. He grinned as she finished the bread, and thought quickly to cover the sudden silence. Duweit guessed that it might be making her uncomfortable, them not really knowing each other and all. He blinked …That works…

“Well, since I know you won’t tell me about yourself yet. I don’t suppose you’re curious about me? You can ask if you’re curious about anything,� Duweit added, as he gathered she was also polite and might have thought it rude to ask.

Anonymous

It was probably a good thing Duweit had thought to make conversation. She was growing  more and more uncomfortable by the silent second, sitting next to him with nothing to say.
She had never been terribly good at making conversation...
Especially not with strangers!
Male strangers!

She frowned lightly at the first part of his speech, and waited until he was done to speak.
"I'm sorry...I just...don't know who I can trust..." She really didn't mean to be rude by refusing to answer questions about herself.
It was just...
So nerve wracking!!

Clover scraped together some questions, finally turning her head to look at him as she spoke. "I...uh, well, if it's alright with you then, um..." She cleared her throat. "I guess I want to ask...where are you from? You are very different looking from the people I am used to...and...I hope this is not sensitive for you, but...for being blind you, um, move better than most people who can see. How is that possible...?"
Those were the two most curiosity-sparking questions she had, and she hoped neither insulted him or made him uncomfortable.
Even with his assurances that she could ask, she was still worried about his reaction.

Anonymous

Duweit grinned as Clover fumbled with the fact he knew she didn’t trust him yet. “It’s fine, I don’t mind. In fact I’d be worried if you weren’t.�

He smiled gently as she began again, her shyness growing on him. Duweit had this random urge to cuddle her, but did not act on it, that would be too familiar an action for now. He often was told he was strange, after which he would puzzle on why the hell being affectionate was considered strange. “I am from the jungles south of here, many of my kind dwell in the deepest parts. Those places smart people don’t venture into.� He gave a soft laugh at her second question, everyone was hesitant to ask that. “Well…I’d have to say I don’t really know for certain. I guess since I was born blind I am used to it, and my heightened senses probably have something do with it as well…And I’ve lived in the jungle where you have to learn quick or you’re lunch…plus constant roughhousing with my brother…� He blinked and gave a confused look. Duweit laughed, rubbing the back of his head, giving a sheepish grin. “I guess that translates to a lot of practice.�

Anonymous

...Those places smart people don't venture into???
Gah, just who had she hired, anyway??
Gulping lightly, she stared firmly into her lap. Well, that was a scary thought, but...so far he'd been really nice and helpful so...
Maybe they just didn't like tresspassers???
She hoped that was it.

She was surprised at his laugh, and looked back to him as he explained. So...it didn't bother him then.
Wait...
Blind since birth??
How horrible! All the things he had missed seeing...
Of course, she wouldn't bring up something THAT depressing.
Instead, she smiled at his funny antics, realizing she hadn't done so in awhile.
She used to smile all the time...
"Oh wow, you have a brother? I wish I had one, that would have been fun. I don't have any siblings....or....at least, I don't think I do." She blinked, puzzling on that one. "I guess if I did end up with a younger brother, I'd never even know..."
Living in the temple, she wasn't allowed contact with her parents, and boys weren't allowed to join the temple, so she could actually have a brother and not know it.
Frowning, she pondered that thought, never having realized it before.

Anonymous

He decided it would be best not to point out his brother was no longer living, fear of making her more uncomfortable. Duweit tilted his head at her statement, frowning a little. Not know if she had a brother? …how could she not know? The idea was completely foreign to him. Duweit had grown up in a tribe, he knew all his relatives. He even knew his friends relatives…though…most of his friends were his relatives.

“How could you not know you have a brother?� He asked before he could stop himself. In his curiosity he had forgotten she was not likely to say, as she did not trust him yet. Duweit tensed a little and ‘looked’ to the ground. “Sorry.�

Anonymous

Yeah, it definately would have been bad to mention that his brother was no longer living. That would have made Clover feel horrible, and she more than likely would have shut herself back up again. But instead, she continued to talk, forgetting totally about not telling him about herself.
Though she did leave out some details.

"Well, I lived only with women since I was about five. I didn't have any siblings then, I don't think...but then again, I can't really remember. But anyway, I wasn't allowed to keep in touch with my parents, so I don't know if they had another child or not. And since boys aren't allowed where I live, except for visiting lords, if I really did have a brother, I'd never know cuz he couldn't even come say hi."
She frowned some more as she pondered that fact, then realized he had appologized for something earlier.

Looking over, she blinked at his downcast look. "What are you sorry for? I'm sorry, I wasn't exactly paying attention..."
Oops...
Hopefully it wasn't something important!

Anonymous

Duweit frowned  little as she explained. He was confused as to why men would be forbidden where she lived, but that was not what really bothered him. It was this strange isolation from family he did not like. He could see why her father would not be allowed, but her mother should certainly have been able to see Clover by those rules. There must be something more she hadn’t told him yet.

Only women huh, how unfortunate for the men in the area. But then, boys could find a way around that sort of thing when properly motivated. Though Duweit did not know that from personal experience, his brother had been quite the troublemaker. He looked up as she wondered about his apology, and a grin came to his face as he realized she had missed it because she was speaking. “It’s all right, it was nothing important. I have question though, just curious. Why were you not able to keep in touch with your parents? I mean, your mother could have come to visit you, unless there is some other rule I do not know of.�

Anonymous

It wasn't until he asked her a question that she realized she had actually given quite a bit away. If he was working for the enemy, then he could have easily guessed where she was from by now.
But then...
...Why was he asking a question like that then??
Well...she really didn't know how much the other region knew about her religion so...

...It was possible he didn't know, whether an enemy or not.

"Um, yes...It was customary really. The women were supposed to become like my family, and they did. I grew up with them and was raised by them."
She then blinked and tilted her head at him alittle.
She had noticed the strange emotions that had flickered across his face earlier.
"Does...it bother you Duweit? Is it very different from where you come from?"
Ok, and now her curiosity was peaking back out again...
Guess there were times when she wasn't painfully shy!

Anonymous

He nodded as she explained a little more about it. It could be some sort of test Duweit thought. Something to make the girls tougher, and if that was it something similar must be done with the boys. Or it could be something else, perhaps religion was involved or maybe it was some law from long ago.

Duweit looked up as she spoke again. He grinned a little, happy she was beginning to get more comfortable with him. He wasn’t sure if he could stand her being too scared to say anything, he loved hearing her voice. Of course it was also a slight insecurity, he became worried if people didn’t speak. A voice was the easiest way for him to identify someone if they didn’t talk he had to use other means to find them. “Oh. Well…a little bit. In my home families only parted in death, we all lived together. A rather large group actually.�

Anonymous

A smile appeared on Clover's face almost immediately as Duweit grinned. It was sort of a natural reaction for her. She always did love it when other people showed joy on their faces, and usually couldn't help but respond to it.
She listened intently with slightly pointed ears, which swept back distinctly, not up.
Oh wow...he grew up totally differently than her!
Well, sort of...

"Oh wow, that is different Duweit!" She loved his name, Duweit, Duweit, Duweit...
"Well, maybe not so much, since the women were like my family, and we all lived together in a big group to. But still. That sounds like fun! I kind of would have liked to have known my family, but I can't really complain. My surrogate family was great!"
He was helping her forget the fear that had been clawing at her for weeks, which had only come to a head today when she had actually been made to flee her home.
It was a nice change...relaxing really.

And she was also glad to be able to at least bond alittle with Duweit. She wasn't used to being alone, with no one to talk to, so to have a friend in Duweit would be greatly appreciated. She turned herself around on the bed, so that instead of sitting next to Duweit, she was facing his side, hands in her lap as she sat indian style.
"How big is your family Duweit?"

Anonymous

His grin became wider as she continued, well at least she didn’t feel bad about not knowing her family. It eased his mind greatly to know she had been taken care of, even if it wasn’t by her actual relatives. He tilted his head and gave a cute confused look on his face as he heard her shifting around on the bed. But as her voice came from the same general direction and did not sound any further he guessed that she had not moved much.

He smiled softly as Clover continued to inquire about him. “Hmm,� Duweit began to make some calculations in his head, using his fingers to help count off groups of people. It caused him to look a little child like, which he sort of was anyway. “Last time I checked there were…57 of us. Though I think one of my cousins was pregnant when I left,� he rubbed that back of his head again, grinning. “So that has probably changed by now.�

Anonymous

Clover bit her bottom lip as he started counting, holding back a giggle. He just...looked so funny! Not funny in a dumb way, just...
Funny in a cute way.
And then he gave her the final estimate, and she blanched.

57 people? All related?? Holy heavens! That was incredible!

"Woah Duweit, that's alot of people! There were only 20 of us back home...I can't imagine living with that many people!"
Still, she was amazed in a good way. It was probably alot of fun to be able to be around that many people who were related to you.

"I guess your job keeps you away from home alot. Do you miss them? Oh, I'm sorry, that was a stupid question! I'm sure you miss them...um...let me think of a different question."
She rested her chin in her palms, her elbows resting on her crossed legs, as she tried to think of other questions to ask him. Well, she could always go for the generics.
"What sorts of things do you like to do? And what are your favorite things?"
That was pretty basic, but hey, she was interested to know.

Anonymous

He was amused that she found this a big number. His tribe was actually one of the smaller ones in the jungle. Twenty women all living together…yup, he knew some men who would pay just to watch them do their hair. That was probably why those lords visited, he joked to himself.

Duweit laughed as she apologized for the obvious question. For two reasons, first because it was cute the way Clover felt she should be sorry and try to come up with another query. The second, because he would have asked it too. Then she asked what he liked to do, a round about way of asking for his hobbies. “Well,� he crossed his arms and had a very cute thinking face on. “Most of the time I’m just traveling around. I’d say I like to be in more forested areas, open space makes me a little nervous. I stop in town every once and while in case someone wants to hire me. Hmm…I like to test myself a lot I guess. Contests of strength, archery, sword fighting and hand to hand as well.� He held his chin with a hand as he tried to think of anything else. “Oh, I can play the flute. And…I can’t think of anything else at this moment cuz I’m tryin too hard.� The hand on his chin moved to the back of his head and he gave a sheepish, embarrassed smile. It was one of his more common expressions it seemed.

Anonymous

Clover blushed a bit as he laughed at her, ducking her head, but she was still grinning. She was actually kind of used to being laughed at when she did certain things. Alot of the women back in the temple had found endless amusement in her childish, ditzy ways.
But it had almost always been in good fun, so she wasn't insulted by it.

This time, Clover actually had to slap both hands over her mouth to keep from giggling at his thinking face. It was...it was...just too cute...!
Gah, it was hard not laughing!

"Aw, I love wide open spaces." Then again, she did come from a huge expanse of plain lands. Then she giggled and bounced up to her knees, grabbing Duweit by the arm excitedly before really thinking about it.
"You play the flute?? Wow, so do I! I didn't know guys could play the flute! What's yours like? I'm sure it's different from mine...We should play for each other some time!"
She then giggled as she leaned on him a bit, the bed dipping too much for her not to.
"Oh, don't give yourself a headache then! Quick, stop thinking!"

Aaaand...that was how Clover was when she wasn't being shy or polite.
No wonder the other women had found her so amusing...

Anonymous

Duweit got a rather confused look at the sudden contact, but smiled as he realized this time it had been on purpose. Well Clover misplaced her shyness rather quickly, wonder where it went, she should lose it more often. He blinked and gave another confused look at the announcement that she didn’t know men could play the flute. Perhaps it was one of the other things he did that normal men did not usually practice. “Really? I’d be happy to,� he smiled warmly.

He blinked at her next set of words. Then Duweit did another thing other men didn’t usually do. He giggled. “We wouldn’t want that,� and then he went totally straight faced. For 3 seconds, then his lips started to curl into a smile again until he couldn’t stand it. Duweit started giggling again, he could tell he was going to enjoy her company. Again he wanted to cuddle her, but decided he'd give her a bit more time to get usued to him.