Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Walk Around Town - RentCavalier

Started by Anonymous, September 26, 2006, 03:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

April bit her lower lip in an almost nervous manner as her slim hands tugged the hood of her cloak back. It fell around her shoulders letting golden hair spill free, a few daring strands falling as far as her cheeks to tickle the skin before she tucked it behind her ears, blue drops hanging from the lobes. True, she wasn’t really supposed to be in the city, especially the part she was in, in the middle of activity. She couldn’t help it, she loved the atmosphere of Cerenis. Besides, not too many gazes were thrown in her direction, aside from the eyes looking for her purse of money.

The young woman was obviously born of nobility. Beneath the navy blue cloak was a dress of a light shade of blue, the color matching that of the drops in her ears and that of her eyes. It was an expensive dress made only of the finest silks. The corset beneath the fabric wasn’t seen, but it was there, one of her hands resting along her abdomen, and the surface of the device beneath, one she had grown used to. The dress itself was rather simple, aside from the folds of the fabric. There were no straps, the dress simply starting around her chest and hugging her abdomen tightly. Then, around her hips extra yards of the fabric were added causing the dress to flare out. It was a bit suffocating, but she didn’t think much of it as she walked through the crowds of the city near the sea.

She stopped once or twice at a stand, purchasing some sweets at one stand, flashing white smiles towards the elderly women there. She’d been blessed with white, straight teeth, a rarity for the time. She happily ate the sugary candy as she continued to walk around, simply enjoying the time away from her family and the closed doors of their home which wasn’t far from the bustling city. It wasn’t Arca, but her family visited the city on the sea often simply because her and her brothers enjoyed it so much.

As she finished a piece of candy, she folded the bag up and placed what was left of the candy into a pocket along her cloak. Her purse was along the inside of the cloak, her not being foolish enough to place it on the outer portion of her cloak. She enjoyed the people down here in this unique town, but that didn’t mean that she was wary of wandering fingers. After having bought her candy she simply continued on about the city, letting her light blue eyes soak in the environment and people. She was simply enjoying herself and the free time she had snuck away to.

Anonymous

"Bloody pirates."

A man scowled. His face was hidden under the shadow of a monstrous hat, his body under a very heavy cloak, and all of him smelt of liquor. He pointed a cutlass as his unfortunate table-mate, a small fox-man, the sharp point narrowly missing taking off the poor man's ears far too often for comfort.

The drunken man growled angrily, spittle flying from chapped lips onto the poor fox's face as he insulted the man with a barrage of insults. He was pleaded to stop, which only resulted in more insults and jeers. Somebody said something about his mother. He drew his sword.

BANG!

The sword fell from suddenly weak fingers. The drunkard staggered, wobbling uneasily before falling. Smoke rose from the black and gold barrel of a flintlock pistol, engraved with a navy symbol. The gunman rose, holstering the weapon casually, lighting up an expensive looking pipe. He spoke, his voice a thin, raspy drawl.

"My apologies fer the mess, loves. Red Iscariot doesn't like...drunkards..."

Hushed whispers filled the room as he slowly sauntered out of the bar, tossing a gold guinea to the barkeep. He pushed past the heavy doors, stumbling lightly into the street, pushing past two passerbies and walking the opposite way, quickly pocketing their wallets.

An easy day for Crimson Iscariot Synextra. The most feared pirate in the seven seas, or so he claimed. Sure, he was broke, without a crew or a ship, but that would soon change. He just needed the right scheme. And, of course, he had it.

What could go wrong now?

Anonymous

April had made her way through the town and was at the docks. She lingered there for a bit, staring at the activity and enjoying the sea breeze that snaked through her hair and pulled it in odd directions. Soon, though, the wind became a nuisance and she turned her back to the sea and docks and once more made her way further into the town.

“Lady! Ma’am!� An elderly woman waved a wrinkled hand towards April, a crooked grin and her grey hair was pulled into a messy bun, a few of the wiry strands hanging about her worn features.

“Mmhm?� April asked and walked towards the woman, before her eyes caught sight of what she was selling. Jewelry. Like any young woman April immediately became excited, biting her lower lip.

A few minutes was spent with polite chit chat, and soon the conversation veered towards that of the jewelry, and she had to have something. After many moments of debating she picked a simple piece, but something about it caught her eyes. The chain was small and silver in color, and hanging at the end was a pendant, a single blue pendant. However, the shade of blue changed depending on how the sun was hitting it. When the rays hit it just right, the pendant reflected a shade of blue that matched her eyes perfectly.

Money was exchanged with thanks, and April placed her purse back along the inside of the cloak, her fingers curled around the necklace that she didn’t dare take off, but instead, keep close to herself to make sure it remained with her. She nearly lost it, though, when a bang echoed from one of the many buildings about her, her shoulders tightening, before she relaxed. Rowdiness wasn’t something new to this city, so after she heard the shot she continued down the street with her fingers clutching her prize, and her candy and sweeties within her cloak.

Anonymous

That old bag, Margaret, was peddling jewerly again. Crimson and Margaret were often competitors in the con-artistry market roundabouts, though they butted heads much less often since Crimson had left the Thieves' Guild and set off solo. Still, he simply didn't like her, and her charmed jewelry. Like those necklaces that changed color to match the holder's eyes for 24 hours before cracking up and simply turning pink. Crap, and expensive crap too.

What kind of idiot would buy one of those?

Apparantly, a pretty well-off one. That girl was an utter space-case, from the looks of her. Wandering about with enough candy and trinkets to make even the gaudiest of tourist blanch. She clashed so perfectly with the environments, it was almost funny.

He watched her go by, grinning a toothy grin. Well, she was pretty, and that was expensive fabric over that ass. Definately some money there. Desperate men take desperate avenues, and Crimson had no time to be picky. He followed her.

He picked up a limp, shifting his weight as he moved closer to  her, and as he hobbled past her (rather convincingly) he "tripped" and crashed into her, swearing loudly.

"AH! Oh my goodness...I be sorry miss, honest...look 'ere, I've knocked loose all yer purchases..."

He slowly, pathetically began to pick up some of the parcels that had fallen, his movements exaggeratedly showcasing some sort of mental retardation along with the limp. If she was as naive as he thought, she'd first say "Oh, don't bother" and then inquire to if HE was all right.

Piece of cake. Right?

Anonymous

April wasn’t as air headed as she might seem, but with the hints of a smile along her lips and the candy and jewelry she had purchased certainly made her seem like a complete idiot. Truth be told, April was rather bright, although many questioned her common sense. She was more mature than her two brothers combined, and new how to handle situations. However, when she was simply out and about, she got taken advantage of rather easily, and the necklace in her fingers was evidence of that.

What enhanced this image of having no common sense was when the man stumbled into her, causing her to drop the objects in her hand, and her to nearly fall to the ground. She remained standing, but not by much. What was sure to convince anyone that her skull was filled with air was her loud apologies and obvious need to help.

“Oh! Goodness, I’m sorry!� She cried out to him and immediately dropped to grab her own packages, trying to wave his hands away.

“No, no it’s fine. It’s not problem. Are you okay? That was a nasty trip, I’m glad you didn’t fall.� She began to ramble the words out, before biting along her lower lip to stop her talking and random words.

“It’s fine sir. I can get them.� She finally spoke in what would be considered a rather mature voice, reaching forward to grab the wax package containing the candy, and then the necklace that had landed along the ground, turning to look at him, slowly taking in his appearance and realized the limp he had, and the movements he made.

She didn't have a clue of what he might have been up to.

Anonymous

"I-its fine maam..."

He smiled, his face full of warmth and gratitude. He reached into his pocket, pulling out a gold coin.

"I've maybe ruined some of your sweets with my clumsy antics miss...take this as a token of my sincerest apologies. G-g-good day!"

He bowed, forceing the coin into her hand and limping away down the road, barely concealing his wicked smirk. That coin had been dipped in enough toxins that, once touching her bare skin, would make her  very drowsy...and, once she was about to pass out, he'd swoop in and make the grab.

Simplest scheme in the book.

Anonymous

April tried to shake her head and push her hands against his own, not wanting to take the coin, she had plenty.

"Sir, sir really. I have had enough candy today, I don't need anymore." She said with a grin, before finally taking the coin from his fingers with a sigh.

"Really, please, take it back!" She yelled after his form and moved to walk after him before she stumbled as the toxins moved into the pores of her skin. Her eyelids suddently felt heavy, and immediatly her brain registered what had happened.

"No..." She let the words slip from her lips, before her fingers grew weak and she dropped the coin, along with her purchased items, and she fell to the floor. If he had indeed caught her, she would lazily try to push away from him, before her mind went blank and her world black.

Anonymous

She would awake at sea. The small, run-down ship that had once been the prize of the seas was Crimson's flagship. Lucky Thirteen, he'd called it. Ripping through the waves with silent speed, it still held some of its once-mighty glory, but the poor vessel had gone into a state of disrepair in recent years.

The sleek, varnished wood was now crusted over with algae and barnacles, warped by sea and salt, and a few rotting holes lay in the deck. The captain's quarters were still lavishly decorated with the spoils of a hundred conquests, and she would awaken tied down to a rather ostentatious bed.

Crimson was outside, watching the ship buck and keel on the waves, awaiting the impending scream that would indicate she was awake and lucid.

Anonymous

April slowly woke. It wasn't a sit up and panic sort of awakening, but a slow, gentle falling from sleep to reality. Her eyelids flickered open, and immediatly she knew her surroundings weren't familiar. A groan slipped through her lips and she moved to sit up, only to find herself bound. The...whatever she was in didn't feel even, as if it were moving.

The scream he was waiting for came not but moments later, realization hitting her like a brick wall.

The man with the limp. The purchases. The coin. The drowsiness. The darkness. This room. This bed. Unfamiliar was the only term that came to mind.

After her moment of panic, anger swept through and she fougth viciously against the bindings, and then after her absurd anger, reason took hold. Maturity. While she waited for an answer to her screams, she let her head fall back and her blue eyes stare up, her mind trying to figure out what had happened. Something with that man. Had he taken her? Where were they? A boat, ship she finally decided. It fit best.

While she awaited someone, if there was a someone to await, she realized something. Her eyelids slid shut and she gave a heavy sigh, one of defeat.

She'd been taken.

Anonymous

The door opened, and in strutted a rather unusual (yet familar) man, wearing a rather large hat. The hat drew quite a lot of attention in and of itself. It had an enormous scarlet feather protruding from the top, and its wide brims cast shadows over its wearer's face.

The man spun theatrically on his heel upon reaching the center of the room, his rougish face grinning wide, his voice grand and dramatic, like an actor giving an award-winning monologue.

"Aye, avast lass! I do be hopin' my accomodations are to yer likin': just 'cause I be takin' a prisoner don't have no meanin' that the aformentioned prisoner, or in yer place, prisoness, be uncomfortable in any ship, shape, er form. Aye, but where be my manners? It be true discourtesy to yer lovelyness not be introducin' my person."

He tipped his hat jovially, bowing deep.

"My name be Crimson. Crimson Synextra, some call me. Red Iscariot be the name those doomed to die whisper in their sleep--it too be mine own. I'm a pirate, privateer, scoundral, rogue, scallywag, and all-around dashing stereotype, and I do be hopin' ye don't mind that I've borrowed ye for an entirely altruistic reason. Be not afeared, lass: once mine pockets be lined with every last piece of gold I can squeeze out of yer mater and pater, ye'll be off grinding hips with the latest sports jocky in no time."

He cleared his throat, standing upright now.

"So, to aid in our mutual transactions, we'll be needin' a great deal of assistance from you. With "we" I mean, me, and with "assistance" I mean, the names, addresses and general gross-per-capita income of yer dear, darling parents, siblings, uncles, or lovers. Fortwith, if ye don't be mindin'."

Anonymous

All she could do was stare, lips parting slightly. She didn't dare blink, her mind trying to take in everything he said. When he finished she simply lay there a moment, testing the bindings. Slowly, she formulated an answer within her mind.

“Bloody pirates.� She muttered as she finally found her voice, her blue eyes glaring at him from beneath naturally thick lashes. The room was nice, that was without argument, but that didn’t mean she had noticed that. It was hard to notice the accommodations after waking up from a drugged sleep and finding ones self tied to a bed.

"First of all, sir," She began, purposely acting as if he had not just introduced himself in a rather interesting manner. "In order for me to be even remotely comfortable, I suggest you remove these bindings so I can at least move about. Second. I won’t be grinding hips with anyone, not that it concerns you at all, but I’m just setting things straight. And third, if you think that I’ll give you that information, you’re even more crazy than you seem.� She hissed out to him, her words sharp, yet held reason. Her wrists jerked forward with hopes of maybe ripping the bindings.

“So, with that said, we’ll be needed a great deal of assistance from you. ‘We’ being myself, and the assistance being you untying me from this bloody bed and bringing me directly to the doorstep of my home.� She spoke out, almost mocking what he had said to her.

Anonymous

His smile didn't falter, and he spoke simply. He didn't have much to say.

"But, my dear gal, we can't take you home...if you don't tell us where it 'tis. And I won't be returnin' ya to port either: you'll only get kidnapped by somebody else, and that simply won't do. So, again, it looks like I'll be needin' some info outta ya."

Anonymous

April clenched her jaw as she heard him, biting hard on the inside of her lower lip, staring daggers at him. Finally, she came to an agreement within her mind, and decided if she went along with it, did what he said, perhaps she could find a way out of this, perhaps.

"I'll consider telling you what you what to know, if you untie these damned things and let me up." She spoke out to him, trying to look beneath the shadows of that ridiculous hat to find some eyes, at least to make sure that he would indeed untie her. Her fingers were starting to tingle unpleasantly, and the constant rocking of the ship was making her a tad uneasy.

Anonymous

"Aye, I appose it be a fair trade off." He smiled, pulling out a key and juggling it in his hand as he walked over to her, sliding it into the lock with a satisfying CLICK!

"Now then, you're left arm be free. No more 'till I get some answers."

Anonymous

April opened her mouth to protest, but held back. She supposed that was fair, but he never specified the complexity of the answers, how detailed they must be. So, she'd play his game.

"My own parents don't live in Cerenis, we live in Arca. We were simply here because we own a home here. Our home in Arca is in the center of the town, a large building, although I couldn't give you the exact address. The street name escapes me at the moment. It must be the shock of everything that has happened." A smirk drew itself along her lips.

"My right hand now, please sir." She spoke out, shaking her left wrist out, trying to get the blood flow back down to her fingers.

Anonymous

He was silent for a moment, as if deep in thought, before returning the smirk and turning away from her, facing the door. He chuckled to himself, opening the door slowly.

"Well, that's good enough for me. We'll post your picture in Arca and see who says what. Thanks much for your cooperation, miss."

He tipped his hat and vanished out the door, back onto the deck. He barked to the three crewmembers assembled.

"All right yew scurvy mongrels! Git yer blasted arses in gear, and set full speed tae Serendpity! Go on, MOVE IT! Avoid Cerenis, and keep us to the coast, got it?"

"AYE AYE, CAPTAIN!"

Anonymous

April blinked as she heard him and slowly shook her head.

"No! Get these damned things off of me now! What are you doing! You can't possibly be serious!" She began to panic as she yelled after him. Panic because she was stuck here, not about him finding her family. Arca was a large city and it was more her parents that were known than her. She was the youngest in the family and had yet to have done anything amazing to get noticed. True, some people may know her picture from social events, but it would take a while. And would her parents do it? would they give him what he asked for if they were to be found?

When he left she rolled over as much as she could, seeing as how her left hand was unbound, and her fingers tried to to anything to the cuff on her right hand. She tried to slip her hand free, break the chains, lock pick it with a pin from her hair. She'd heard it could be done, but needless to say, she was horrible at it, and the lock remained locked.

After many minutes of fighting with the cuff, her hand dropped down and she let her head fall against the bed. So, she would simply lay there, and while she did, she figured she might as well just...stop cooperating. She'd given him a tiny bit of information and that was it. She made that decision and promised to keep to it. She certainly wasn't going to place her own family in danger to save her own skin. Then again, she hoped it wouldn't come down to needing to save her actual skin. She swallowed heavily at the thought of actually losing her life because of that.

"Stop it April. Everything will be fine." She spoke calmly to her arm, and gave a nod of her head.

Anonymous

As if on cue, Crimson stuck his head into the room, smiling amicably.

"Oh, yes, you wouldn't happen to want any...tea...were you by any chance trying to break free?"

He pointed at her hair, no longer pinned up.

"The locks are double linked. You can't pick them. The key..." he held it up, to show his point.

"The key is only the key to the first lock. It has a little engraving that puts pressure on these little switches, to open the second lock. In other words..."

His grin grew wider and he backed out, his words following him.

"Ye be screwed."

Anonymous

April immediately tugged her hand free from the cuff, looking to him at his question and her lips pressed together in a fine line. Double linked cuffs. Genius…unfortunately.

When he left, she heard his words and she ripped her arm up and away from the lock, almost in hopes that maybe, just maybe the links would snap and she would be free. Needless to say, all it gave her was a sore wrist.

“Fine! Good luck getting a single coin from my family! You’ll never find them! For all you know I could have lied to you! You’ll be running in circles in Arca searching for something that isn’t there!� She yelled at the door, before dropping her head back to glare at the ceiling.

“And I want my candy!� She added on, each word came out as if she was threatening death, rather than asking for the sweets she had bought that day. Or was it that day? How long had she been out for? Was her family worried already? Were they looking for her? Had it only been hours? She couldn’t tell from the cabin, couldn’t tell for sure how long she had been there.

Anonymous

(Well, this thread is about as good as it'll get. I'll make another in Arca.)