Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Chance meeting in the streets

Started by Anonymous, April 27, 2007, 10:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Near a shallow fountain in the middle of a decent sized crossroad intersection in town, there was a loose knot of people gathered around a street performer. The sight wasn’t uncommon, and the people usually enjoyed seeing what travelers from other places would perform.

While this woman was certainly not the most flamboyant to have pulled such stunts, she was obviously skilled and must have been well practiced. Distinctive bone-white hair appeared to halo her head and sparkling emerald eyes seemed to engage and tease with mischief as she ran through slight of hand tricks, small magical eye candy displays and enhancements while throwing out humorous lines to go with the performance. It had the desired effect of alternately wowing the crowd, and brightening their moods and faces with laughter. The as yet nameless performer acted jovial as well, knowing it was infectious and more coin would clink into her simple wooden bowl on the edge of the fountain… not to mention brighten the day of everyone who enjoyed some of the jokes. Nothing like spreading a bit of light about the world yourself, to make it all a little brighter.

Now here, she seemed to summon 3 sparkling balls of water right out of the fountain and beckoned close a couple small children, setting the water balls in their hands where they seemed to form a flexible satin skin, delighting the children who played and squished them around, some of the new squishy toys leaping from their hands when squeezed and bouncing away towards and into the crowd. Delighted, the children went after them and easily got them, showing them to their parents with glee. Meanwhile, more balls came from the water to go into a beautiful display above the crowd, but not going any further up than several meters. Shortly thereafter, the balls started chasing the summoner, who had skillfully evaded and placed all but the last one back in the fountain. The last one had got a square hit right in the middle of her back. With a rueful smile and witty joke, the crowd had a good laugh, and the woman had dried off with a small display of ‘steam wings’ sprouting and dissipating quickly from the wet... now dry spot on her back.

And so it went with more, varied performances as early afternoon approached. Soon, she’d have enough for a bit of shopping, food and a place to stay.

((ooc â€" okies, I’m off for now, getting IM questions and need sleep... and feel free to come up with a better title!))

Anonymous

He'd been up since early morning, wandering around town, stopping to show off here and there.  A little extra money to line his pockets, and hopefully get a room and a meal later at a local tavern.  He'd finished a a little show earlier, and was trying to straighten his sash as he walked.  One of the children in the group had latched onto it as he performed.  Detaching her and keeping his illusions going at the same times hadn't been easy, but he'd managed it.

And now, he could see a crowd gathering at an intersection ahead.  Furred ears perked forward as Taiga picked up the sounds of the crowd...noises of amazement and laughter.  Another street performer, eh?  Moving through to the front of the crowd, he got a good look at the performer, grinning widely at the sight.  Such distinctive hair!  And those water tricks of hers weren't half bad either.

Taiga laughed along with the crowd when her last water ball hit her.  He tossed a coin in her bowl, winking at her as he did so.  Perhaps he could have a chat with her after her performance.  It had been a while since he'd worked with another, and he'd missed it.  Maybe she'd be interested in working with him?  He chuckled along with the crowd as she pulled off another trick.  She certainly had some talent!

((OOC: heh, the title's fine!))

Anonymous

A couple more trick runs pulled off, small thanking nods to those placing coin in her bowl without interruption to what she was doing and Aruku figured it was time to wrap it up. Her focus was on what she was doing, though a separate part of her mind observed the crowd and surroundings, making mental notes. That tigerish guy was rather striking, perhaps a chat later. Though the merchant she wanted to get a couple more good weapons from was also here, perhaps she should pursue him instead for better prices while still jovial.

Time for the last trick. Picking up three torches, she spoke out to the crowd, “For a final display to dazzle your eyes, that most difficult to control element, fire will be used. Now don’t worry folks, I haven’t burned anyone’s hair off since the last time mine started growing back again…� Banter continued as she had a strapping young boy hold her sticks out for her, joking even with this as she doused the wrapped ends with a little liquid, then seemed to puff flames right out her hand to ignite the ends. Taking the flaming torches, she sent her helper back to the crowd with thanks and calling up applause for his assistance. Finishing out the rest of the tricks and display, she attempted to douse the torches by holding two in one hand and one in the other, blowing the single out. However, when she transferred one of the remaining fire-bearing torches to the now extinguished hand and blew out a second, she looked back with what appeared to be surprise at having… two flaming torches in one hand again! That was quickly settled by tossing down the one already put out torch and holding the remaining two separate, putting them each out neatly with a hard blow of air each.

Taking a bow and picking the torches up again, she straitened to call out a few parting lines. “If you liked the performance here, down at the Fish-head’s Inn I’ll appear; For an evening of stories new and dear, please come down and bring your ears! Thanks for being a wonderful audience…� And on and on; the crowd had already started to break apart and head back on their previous journeys, while Aruku gathered what little was still outside her pack and put it back in, picking up the bowl and talking with some of the lingers. She was glad she had worked out a deal with the innkeeper earlier. It was good form to keep up on tales, and the innkeeper was happy to have the chance for more customers. Knowing that donations had all but stopped now, she slipped the coins into her pouch and put away the collection bowl, taking a brief break sitting on the fountain edge and sorting out where to head next.

Anonymous

Oh nice, fire tricks.  Taiga grinned broadly as the display brought a few memories back...  As she finished up her performance, he applauded along with the crowd, twitching his tail out of the way as someone brused against it.  And now the crowd was dispersing; the woman talking with a few who were still hanging around.

He shifted over to the side, letting people pass as he made his way towards the performer. Ah, done with her conversations?  "Hey there."  He spoke up finally, "Nice show.  You've definitely got a flair for this stuff, eh?  That little water trick, I haven't seen that before, where'd you learn that?"

He sat next to her on the fountain edge, and winked.  "And you've got a talent with rhyme too.  Been doing this long?"

Anonymous

On some level, she had known that the distinctive guy had been hanging around, but it still seemed odd to her that he had waited till all the others left. At least till he got past the pleasantries. She turned her head towards him with a pleasant smile, as she pulled out a hair tie that had kept the pale locks safely out of harms way during the performance.

Now that she had a chance to get a better look at him without being preoccupied, she found him even more interesting. Catching a glimpse of tail behind him, a little glimmer of mischief shown in her softening green eyes.

“The water trick?� Her voice was gentler now, a pleasant tenor, “A little variation of an exercise, learned when I was an apprentice. Unless you refer to the water toys the kids had.� She chuckled briefly at that, then her tone sounded rather ironic with her next reply. “Practing to rhyme, is something you learn with time, and can often earn you an extra lime. Yeah, been doing it for a long time now.� Something unreadable crossed here eyes with the final words, and was gone again quick as a cat.

Picking up a light, long, pine green jacket she slipped it on, careful to keep it out of the water as she prepared to get moving again. As she did so, she asked her own questions of this stranger. “Come, let’s walk as we talk. There’s a couple things I need to get done before going to the Inn tonight. So, are you a performer as well, or just a well-rounded observer?� She felt he probably was a performer as well from how flamboyant he was, but always better to be sure.

Anonymous

He couldn't help but grin as she reeled off another line of rhyme.  Oh yeah, she had a knack for it.   Learned the water trick as an apprentice?  Had she been trained for performing like this?  Or was she training for something else?  Huh, he'd taught himself all his tricks.

Taiga stood as she put her jacket on, then grinned as she asked if he was a performer.  "Oh yes, I'm a performer."  He held his hand out, and a cloud of sparkles popped into the air above them, dissappearing as they rained down.  "Illusionist, to be exact.  Nothing too extravagant, but it's enough the wow the crowds."

He smiled at her.  "The name's Taiga.  What's yours?"

Anonymous

Ahh, Illusionists. The mages who were usually overlooked by others as being too flashy and having no effect on reality. The woman knew better and had seen illusions used to great effect in the past, though this youngster seemed to be just beginning his path in the art. Well, he was certainly a likable type, probably wouldn’t be bad company. Perhaps this one would prove to be a good companion and guide for this land… but that was yet to be found out through the rest of the day.

With a mental shrug she replied while hitching her leather travel pack over both shoulders. “Aruku.� She paused before continuing, “You any good at storytelling, music and rowdy jokes? It’s what’s planned for the Inn tonight, if you want to join.� Two performers would have to split the pay, but would also be easier to rotate and have breaks. The woman started moving off slowly, looking to the side to make sure Taiga was coming with to continue conversing,

Anonymous

He stood up and ran his hand though his bangs, watching Aruku out of the corner of one eye as she talked.  Huh...putting on another performance at the inn tonight, was she?  The Fish-head Inn, right?  Meh...taverns were much more his style.  Ah, what the heck, why not?  He stopped messing with his hair, turned and smiled at Aruku.

"Not much good with music, I'm afraid.  Ma used to fling the dishrag at me whenever I started singing."  He chuckled.  "But I don't mind tagging along and helping out."  He followed along beside her, tail waving behind him.  "This your first time in Cerenis?  Nice town, ain't it?"

Anonymous

A smile played over her lips when he told about the dishrag. Ah well, perhaps there would be time later to see if he had any skill in other musical forms... she wasn't that good herself in singing.

Keeping an eye to where they were going, Aruku replied pleasently, happy that the conversation had taken this turn. "Ya, my first time here in this city, country and land. You know the lands about here much? Would be nice to have a friendly companion in this unfamiliar place." One of her eyebrows arched with question, waiting for his response.

Anonymous

Taiga stuffed his hands in his pockets, taking in his surroundings, with one furred ear cocked towards Aruku, listening intently.  Maybe he could convince Ma to move into town, she might like it here.  Most likely not.  Ma wasn't the most outgoing sort...too many people in towns and the like.

His gaze flicked back to Aruku and he grinned back at her.  "I'm from up north, 'round the mountains.  I haven't been this far east before.  Areas north and west of here are where I've spent most of my time.  Though hey, I don't mind a bit, sticking around with you.  Should be fun.  I've always enjoyed working with other performers."

((College ate my soul for a while.  Sorry for the delay.))

Anonymous

((np, I'm finding suprises myself))

"Ahh, what keeps ya up in the foothills, instead of wandering the whole continent? And thought I heard that next country up there wasn't too friendly to our sort, but haven't heard why or how." Aruku kept her expression pleasent and steady, much as if simply discussing the weather.

Up ahead a ways still, her emerald eyes spotted the sign marking where she was heading over to. The carved and painted wooden sign of crossed swords was rocking gently in the sea breeze, as the woman thought of just how many of which blades she wanted to stock up on.

Anonymous

Taiga grinned at his companion.  "Never said I stuck to the foothills.  Been further west, too.  This is just the first time I've been around the coast."  Pushing a few stray hairs out of his eyes, he continued speaking.  "I'm not too fond of traveling alone, either, so I really just follow other travelers."

He stopped and tilted his head to one side, regarding Aruku for a moment.  "Connlaoth?  Surprised you haven't heard.  They hate mages up there.  Something about all magic being evil, and mages are all out to overthrow their government, or something like that.  I don't know the whole story, and I don't intend to go border crossing to find out.  Dangerous up there."

Anonymous

Aruku had paused as well when her chatting buddy stopped, and snorted a short laugh when she heard his reply about the country to the north. "I'm almost tempted to go over there, and do it just to spite them," she said half-joking, rolling her eyes skyward a bit as she did. But her attitude didn't seem very concerned about any threat the country might have for her, just curious.

Turning back to closer locals as she moved ahead again, the woman asked, "So what's it like around here, in this country? It's my first time in it and so far it looks alright." Though another part of her mind was wondering why he had said he followed, not joined but followed other travelers.