Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Imperfection is Perfection;Perfection is Imperfection

Started by Anonymous, February 27, 2005, 07:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

THEOPHANIA
Chapter 1. New, Strange Place

She wandered the edge of the village, in an accursed and wretched dress that was both dirty and ragged. It was tangled around her legs, the skirt had been, possibly at one time a cream color. Now it appeared a rather dirt streaked, grayish color. She couldn't help the sweat that crest her brow, straggling, greasy strands of her dark hair falling in her paled face. Theophania huffed softly, which wasn't all that surprising considering she appeared on the husky side of things. But whether it was muscle or not, it was well hidden beneath the bunching dress.

Her dark eyes examined inner workings but soon felt her knees give out. She collapsed onto her knees, tangled in the bedamned skirts. She felt scratches marred along her palms. She muttered random and obscene things but soon sighed. Yeah, no one bothered to look at her. That was okay - she didn't really care. At least, maybe, if she saw someone on their hands and knees off a trail she'd ask if they were okay. Whatever, right?

Despite her huskiness she had a rather pretty face - even if it was masked by the dirt and sweat. Along of the bridge of her nose their was a slight bump, perhaps from being broken previously. Her cheeks were high and her dark brown eyes were rimmed with black, thick and long eyelashes. Her skin appeared smooth, sickly pale at the moment. Her lips were fully and soft, although chapped. But her wrists and ankles with delicate and thin, her fingers long. Her feet were kind of long and big and her toes long. Even her calves and ankles were slender. She was only 14 and had quite of bit of growing to do. She was hoping to be a bit taller, only standing at 5 foot 3.

Now, back to the present.. What was she going to do? She was hungry, thirsty, filthy and sweaty. Her clothes were worn and tattered and unsuitable for even being washed. They should be promptly thrown away and her be washed multiple times.

Anonymous

Matai walked in the streets of the village, stopping at the small shops that held something that caught her eye such as the geen scarf she just broke down and baught just a few minutes before.  Her already bright green eyes now seemed to absolutely glow with pleasure as she picked up random pieces of jewelery, pottery and the like, not really finding anything in particularly extraordinary, until she turned around on her heal to continue on down the street after setting back down a delicate broche that the vendor just knew had to be hers, when she saw a young tattered looking girl collapse to her knees just off the road a few yards.  She stopped in her tracks and waited, thinking that someone who was nearer to the girl would stop for her.  But no one did.  

Matai let out a loud breath of air and lifted her petite hand up to her long raven black curls to shove the stray strands back into their place. She pulled her willowy brown cloak a bit snugger around her body and secured her scarf to fend off the harsh nip in the air that suddenly came on, before she started her quick paced walk to catch up with the girl.  Her pale skin was now flushed pink with the cold against her face as she drew closer, her Irish inheritance obvious.  She began to examine the girl more closely as she drew closer and began to realize that she was worse for the wear than it seemed standing back on the road at a distance.  Now that she was a mere few feet behind the girl she could see that her skin was extremely pale and she was sweating quite profusely.  Either the girl was quite ill or just exhausted from the walk.  She reached up her hand to the girls shoulder and touched it lightly before she spoke.

"Woah now, wait a minute there lass."  She said in her thick irish accent before moving her small body in front of the girl to stop her so they could talk without gasping for air.  Matai stood in front of the girl, her wild black curls being blown every which way in the cool breeze as she looiked up with her bright green eyes at the tattered looking girl.  The small woman, standing only a mere 5 feet even, had to look up at the girl when she spoke due to the height difference.  Though she is small, she is a spitfire to say the very least, and as she stood there, all ruffled by the wind, you could definately see it.

Without asking she looked down at the girls hands and took them in her own, noting the scratches raw skin from the fall.  "I saw ye fall back there and was just coming to check and see if ye are alright."  She said, the whole time looking down at the girls hands examining them.  "But it's a good thing to see that ye've hurt ye're pride more than anything else.  These will heal in no time,"  She said, lightly patting the injured hands and looking up at the girls face now.  "And I have just the ointment to make that "no time" come even sooner."  She said with a small smile as she reached into her large green back and started digging around in it, pulling out several various bottles full of liquids and powders, random plant life, and little bags that held lord knows what.

"The name's Matai by the way, I'm a healer so ye don't have anything to worry about.  I'm not going to cast a spell on ye or anything."  She said before pulling out the small jar which held the ointment she spoke of, a large smile spreading across her face, giving her her regular, good-humored air about her.  She twisted off the lid of the jar and fished out a small amount with her finger before reaching for the girls hand once more and generously applied it.  While she did this she looked up at the girl, noting her ratty clothes and hair and her dirt smudged face, and naturally wondered where this girl was heading, or if she had any place to go at all.  

While she was still applying the ointment she looked back over her should and gestured with her head.  "I manage a pub just down the way, just heading down there now actually.  Why don't ye come with me and i can fetch ye a hot cup of tea.  It's starting to get bitter cold suddenly, it looks as though there may be a storm brewing."  She said while finishing up and closing the lid to the ointment replacing it in her bag.

Anonymous

THEOPHANIA
Chapter 1. Irish Healer

She had taken a few minutes to collect herself, closing her dark eyes for a moment to pull together the shattered fragments of herself. She ignored the bitter cold, the fierce nipping at her flesh. Her clothes didn't help her in the least and she could already feel the raw, red color touching the wind's bitemarks. A sigh drifted from her until she could do nothing more than position her sandalled feet. God, she felt so grimy and absolutely gross. She didn't see why it seemed that she always got into these stupid situations. Oh well! Life was life and she had to put up with it in anyway possible.

But the sudden touch to her shoulder grasped her attention. Her head had bobbed upwards slightly but she caught the shorter woman in her vision. Her head tipped down and she could not bring her brown eyes to meet those fiery, glowing green jewls in the beautiful Irish lady. No, Theophania wasn't ashamed. She just had difficulty meeting anyone's eyes. The eyes were the window to the soul, was it not?

"Hi...." She blinked as the energenic woman pulled all these ointments from her back, somewhere in between claiming she was a healer.

Theophania was trusting - at least with things like this. But with her secrets and feelings she trusted no one but her own grim mind. She didn't realize her eyes had gone out of focus or her nose and cheeks and ears and fingers and toes were as numb as ice. She blinked and restrained herself from shivering. If she thought about being cold then she'd shiver uncontrollably.. It was not something she wanted.

She, in her slight amusement, thought back to how the Irish woman thought that she had pride... Haha! That was something to laugh about. Pride was something she barely had. Or, it depended on her day, really.

"Oh.. well.. Okay. Thank you, ma'am," she said shyly.

A blush tinted her face, even in this woman's present she felt shadowed and hidden. She wasn't scared, far from it. Usually, she could muster a smile for anyone. It took her nearly all her energy to smile now. But she triumphed and a slight, dorky smile touched her face. She understood.. and yet she didn't while the fiesty person was helping her. It was common curtesy, but yet, it wasn't expected. And suddenly, Theophania wanted to kick herself. She hated being surprised by people.

"Um.. hm.. What's your name? Mine is Theophania," she said in her calm voice, seeming ready for a laugh.

Theophania was always ready for a laugh. And always ready for someone to comfort - in her nature, and it was how she had lived back home. With her friends clinging to her for support and her strong and stable in her own twisted world.

Anonymous

Matai's hair suddenly went to flying wildly in the sudden gush of cold wind which sent shivers straight from her head down to her very toes.  Her willowy cloak that she had on was not much of a block against the cold as it whipped around in the breeze but it helped some as she pulled it as close to her body as possible.  She noted the girls every move, noting that she would not meet her eyes when she spoke, the way she held her posture, and also her tattered clothes that must be absolutely nothing against the cold.  She waited for a moment until the girl agreed to go with her to the pub and she nodded her head once, reaching her hands up to her neck where she unwrapped her new green knitted scarf.  She took a step forward to the girl with a smile on her face while she wrapped the scarf around her shoulders and giving them a good pat.

"Oh, ach.  None of this "ma'am" business with me, I'm not that old do ye think lass?  Why, I don't even think that I would be old enough to be ye'r ma"  She said with a wink and a nudge on the girls side.  She didn't know how old she was but by the way she looked, Matai thought that she was around 14 or 15.  Matai remembered how it was when she was that age, about 13 years ago in Ireland with her brothers.  Matai turned on her heal now at this point shaking out her random thoughts and began to walk toward her pub down the street.  She motioned with her hand for the girl to follow.  When Theophania introduced herself Matai smile braodly, turning her head to look up at her.

"Well Theophania, maybe ye're worse for the wear than I thought.  The name's Matai like a said a moment ago, and this shows me that we need to get ye inside and out of the cold before it damages the last of yer brain cells."  She said in her humorous tone with a slight chuckle.  She turned her head, a smile still playing at the corners of her mouth while she watched the ground in front of her.  "It's nice meeting you lass."

As they approached the pub, a small, homy looking building with large green letters reading "McClaine's", Matai shoved her hair from her face again.  "I can't wait to get out of this cold.  Maybe I will leave the tables to me brother Solomon while I sit and warm me bones with ye by the fire."  She said as she reached for the door knob on the large wooden door.  As she opened it a flood of good-humoured laughter and noise filled the air, the smell of alcohol and good food lingered in the air.  The pub was very full and noisy today.  Behind the bar stood a tall man with shoulder lengthed, curly black hair which he wore pulled back and bright green eyes that you could see plain even at the distance.  It was obvious that this was Matai's brother.  He was juggling drinks, spilling one of them in the process, and trying to pass them out to their rightful owners whome at the time were yelling crude comments at the clumbsy bartender.

Matai sighed and pulled off her cloak, ready to hang it on a coat rack near the front door when she spotted her brother fumbling around.  "Then again, me brothers as dim witted as a pile of donkey dung he is.  If I don't help him, he's liable to burn this whole place to the ground at the rate he's headin'."  She said with a sigh and a shake of the head, a small affectionate smile playing her mouth as she watched her brother make a fool fo himself.  "Here lass, put this on and go sit over there,"  She said handing the Theophania her cloak she just took off and gestured with her hand to an open table over by a large fireplace.  "Warm ye're bones while I go make us a drink.  On me next break I will go upstairs and see if I have somethin a bit more suitable for ye to wear."

With that she was off, manuevering her body through the crowd and behind the bar to relieve her brother of his painful task at hand.  From the distance you could not hear what was being said but you could see Matai's face had become quite grim while she finished serving the customers at the bar their drink while Solomon stood behind her with an angry face, obviously yelling about something.  Matai turned around, pointing a finger up into Solomon's face, her own quite red with anger, and she began to thoroughly chew him out, seemingly not stopping for a breath.  Her hands began to fly every which way as she yelled, her curls bouncing, all the while Solomon leaned against the door jam to the kitchen, looking down with a most irritating smirk on his face while he watched his sister who was more than a foot shorter than him.  After a few more moments another man interfered.  Ezekiel was slightly shorter than Solomon, and shorter hair, but the same piercing eyes.  He seemingly stopped the two from their argument and Matai turned around from her brothers, leaving the bar with two drinks on a tray.  Solomon called out one more thing from behind Matai while she started for the other end of the room.  She turned around, and in a flash reached down for an empty glass at a nearby table and through it with all her strength, all the while keeping the tray in her hand well-balanced.  Solomon ducked just in time as the glass smashed into the door jam behind him sending glass flying everywhere.

"Why ye no good son of a whore!  If ye're head weren't so hollow maybe ye would understand the difference, ye revulting boars ass!"  Matai shot back with satisfaction before turning with a slight smirk on her face back to the table.  From behind the bar you could hear Ezekiel yelling about the damage coming from her paycheck, but she payed him no heed except by turning around and blowing him a kiss.  When she reached the table she set down the tray and pulled up a seet herself before looking up a Theophania.  "Men...  They are the worst when they're related."  She said with a cheerful voice before taking a long drink of her warm ale.

Anonymous

THEOPHANIA
Chapter 1. Fire and Family

Theophania held the smile in place, although blinking at the scarf that was about her shoulders now. She smiled and nodded her thanks and couldn't help but to laugh. Okay, she could have a short attention span at times. And when Matai spoke about not calling her ma'am, she couldn't help but to grin slightly. She ignored the swelling thoughts of her mother and just followed the Irish woman to her pub. Upon entering, the sudden collision of warmth and cold along her body dancing ferociously. Her muscles couldn't take it any longer, teased by the sudden warmth she began trembling terribly. She clenched her lower jaw, the outline prominant along her face.

Suddenly, Matai gave her a cloak, making the girl look at what the Irish woman had given her. She didn't want to dirty Matai's things.. The scarf appeared brand new. As Theophania obediantly went to the table by the fireplace, sinking down and gazing into the fire. She quickly assessed the cozy pub but returned her dark eyes to the dancing flames. Theophania let her eyes haze over with a distant, dreaming gaze. But she heard shattered glass, the distant fighting and everything. Only a smile touched her lips, more out of amusement. Soon, with some feeling back in her body she took off the scar in cloak. She didn't wont to dirty Matai's things. She neatly folding them and set them on the table.

Her gaze lifted to Matai as she set the tray down and sat down. She took a sip of her drink, Theophania lifting her glass and taking a swig or two. The dry, scratchy feeling in her throat disappeared and she calmly sighed, although her body now or again tensed and shivered slightly. But she was quickly regaining her warmth.

"They can be... Oh. I don't want to be a bother to you... But thank you very much." she quickly said, before she forgot.

Her other brothers often sent eachother to healers because of rough housing. And her sister wasn't any better half the time. Oh well, she came from a rough, sort of violent, and loving family. Just a little weird her siblings were.

Anonymous

Matai merely watched Theophania as she fidgeted in her seat.  The warm ambers in the fire sent a wave of warmth to the table, warming your insides as well as extremities.  Matai sighed with a bit of pleasure as she took another swig of her ale when Theophania thanked her.

"Oh now, ye're not a bother to me at all."  She said with a wave of the hand as she straightened in her seat.  "It's just what I do I suppose.  What any healer does."  Her gaze was now lingering into the depths of her mug.  Her thoughts were on the girl.  Where was she heading?  Does she have family?  She obviously  doesn't have a place to stay by the looks of her, so what is she doing here?  Matai shook her head absentmindedly before she looked back up at the girl once more, her green eyes dancing with the light of the flames, she decided to stick with the one question since she didn't want to scare the girl.

"So,"  She said with a nonchalant mannerism.  "Where were ye headin back there?  Do ye live in Serendepity?"  She said hoping to learn a bit more about this quiet child.

Anonymous

THEOPHANIA
Chapter 1. Not as I appear

Theophania was often misjudged. Sometimes mistaken for being silent when she could be rather loud. Sometimes mistaken for being mean or blunt, but in all truth.. She had many personalities. Her days changed and her moods shifted. Her attitude against the world often adjusted ever so slightly to accomadate knew knowledge. Or, just the atmosphere of the day could sway her oppinion upon life.

She smiled at Matai, brushing back a dark brown, greasy tendril. Her face pinched in slight distaste for her current state. But it wasn't disgust, really. She wasn't, actually, disgusted. More like she did not prefer this state one bit. Possibly because she knew it could have been much worse.

"No, I don't live in Serendipity. I just kind of found my way here... I wasn't really heading anywhere. Just, uh, failing at being independent," she said with a tired laugh at herself.

She was tired, filthy, wary, confused, and she felt utterly lonely. And through all that mayhem of feelings, she still managed to feel her unwavering numbness and her eyes didn't feel heavy in the least. So she sat there, trying to relax into the chair.. But she took a long swig of her drink, humming to herself for a moment, but she found herself to be in a rather quiet mood. It soon dropped and she looked at Matai, mustering a smile.

"What is it like here....?" The girl asked thoughtfully, wondering what kind of place she had found herself in.

Anonymous

Matai listened to the girls answer to her question with much interest.  She could detect a hint of..  perhaps resentment?  She couldn't quite tell, but for whatever reason, Matai felt the urge to try and help this girl.  Matai could remember the time that she was down and out...  The time she ran away from her home in Ireland when she was merely 10 or 11 years of age.  That was by far the time that she needed somone the most, but sadly had no one.

Matai shoved her random memories out from her thoughts as the girl caught her off guard and spoke again.  Matai didn't hear what she said and straightened in her seat, preparing to have the girl repeat her question when Solomon came up to the table from behind Matai, some of his more obstinant curls finding their way out of the hair tie and sticking out every which way from his days work behind the bar.  He placed his hands on Matai's shoulders, a broad smile playing at his lips as he looked down at Theophania from over Matai's head with his bright eyes dancing with the dim light of the fire.

"Oh ach, me lass!  It be a beautiful land!"  He said with as much enthusiasm as a man would use if he saw a feast of food after starving for a week.  Matai merely shook her head with a small grin as he left her side and pulled up a chair next to Theophania, sitting in it backwards as he leaned on the back of it with his arms, looking intently at Theophania, the smile still playing his lips.  "And don't go listenin' the this one here."  He said with a gesture toward Matai.  "She can make the brightest day seem grey and gloomy by just chatting with her for a few minutes."

At that comment Solomon received a stinging slap to the head from his half pint sister with a crude comment involving him being too enthusiastic.  Solomon merely stroked the pained side of his head, paying Matai no heed before he looked back at Theophania.  "Ye couldn't have picked out a more beautiful place to stay for a while, the land is that of a dream...  Ye could definately work on the residents a bit."  He said absentmindedly, reaching up to stroke the stubble on his face that was starting to grow in.  "Crude lot of 'em.  But ye have to give to take I always say."  He said with an enthusiastic slap on Theophania's shoulder.

He now looked down at her clothing.  Now those needed some work.  With that thought in his head he jumped up, took Theophania by the shoulder in a friendly fashion and helped her stand up as well.  "Now we have to do somethin' about these clothes lass."  He said while looking at them with distaste.  "Now Matai, it's time for ye to get off ye're lazy arse and start gettin' to work.  I'll take the girl upstairs and find her somethin' to wear."  He said while pulling the girl to his side and draping his arm around her shoulder.  "Ye'll have a better chance finding some of me old clothes than me sisters.  Why, she never grew an inch after 12."  He said with a good humoured laugh as he pulled the girl with him up the stairs.

As they reached the room he opened the door to a small apartment that was built above the pub.  Solomon walked in before the girl, walked to a dresser and pulled out some old clothes.  He held a pair of pants, a white shirt, and a cloak.  He turned to the girl and tossed them to her.  "They will probably be too big.  But it's better to wear clothes too big than tryin to squeeze into me sisters wee little clothes.  There is a shower in the back on the right, ye're more than welcome to that too if ye like."

Anonymous

THEOPHANIA
Chapter 1. Finally, end of the dirt

Theophania was a rather secretly depressed and a suprisingly complex individual. She hated when people attempted to figure her out, and she hated being alone and having too much time to think. Thinking was always bad, because she could never make up her mind about her own beliefs. And she could never control her actions, and it was horrible. She hated it.. she hated herself and she didn't mind expressing it freely. She often cracked jokes at her own exspense and most people followed along with, even if she had to coax them too. But she often supported her friends - being the one thought as the most 'stable' one of the group. She listened to their worries, wiped their tears, made them laugh and gave them advice. They never heard her worries, just short, concise sentences that didn't convey everything. So she had taken to being inside a shadow. She began to think she probably deserved that position.

She blinked with the sudden invasion of her brother Solomon, but tiredly grinned at his own. He reminded her of her oldest brother, Jasen. She was surprised with his enthusiasm but managed to keep her grin. Theophania didn't mind the slap on the shoulder, but raised a brow as he said that his sister could turn bright days to gloomy ones. She didn't seem like a depressing person.. Perhaps she was practical? Then again, she was beginning to overthink and try to nosedive into someone else's personalities.

He then began to tell her about how it was in Serendipity village. She smiled, trying her best to stay cheery. Usually it wasn't this hard - but with her exhaustion and shyness, it didn't help her much. She suddenly became aware of the blush that had been growing brighter. It had been docile while she had just been talking to Matai but had grown into a fierce fire along her high cheekbones. But with someone else, combined with the fact he was taller, which always made her nervous, and the fact she just didn't know how to act around males and half of the female population. The slap on her shoulder didn't bug her in the least - actually, it helped her to feel more at home. She grinned - perhaps in relief.

Then, suddenly, Solomon seemed to have taken note of her clothes. Suddenly, she was pulled from her seat and to his side. She didn't mind the arm draped around her shoulders, but looked helplessly to Matai. But with his comment upon her height she smirked with a small laugh - that even reminded her of her sister! While Theophania was 5 foot 3, her sister didn't clear 5 foot and was 29. Her mother had never cleared 5 foot 2, but her aunt was 5 foot 11. She took more after her aunt with slender wrists, ankles, calves, and long fingers, and big feet and hands. But her family was always on the husky side and so she was she. She hated it - but hey, whatever. Physical labor seemed to be where they excelled. Except her sister who was quite bright, along with her father and her brothers on some things. Her mother had been smart - just forgot alot. Theophania felt she was the throw back in her family and had accepted that awhile back.

"Sounds like my sister," she responded to Solomon, still being lead upstairs.

She watched him, taking in everything around in silence - but still quite lost as what to do. She sighed and laughed slightly, brushing a straggling strand of her dark hair out of her face. She swiftly caught the clothes, mustering a smile.

"Thank you! I.. uhm.. I'll gladly take you up on that offer," she responded to him about the shower.

She made her way to the shower, showernig herself quickly and cleaning herself up good. God, it was such a relief to get the grime and dirt off her. She actually appeared human! She easily dressed and run out her and pulled the top of her hair back, tying it back to allow it combine with the back. She came back out, glad to be clean and in clean clothes, holding the cloak loosely. Now! She had to find Matai or Solomon, whoever came first, and thank them a hundred more times. Preferably, find both and them each.