Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

On the Lam (Nae)

Started by Anonymous, January 28, 2008, 02:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Cheshire stared with distaste from his position on the dock, trying hard not to breathe in the smell of fish. He hated port townsâ€"give him a land-locked city in the middle of a forest, any day. But at this point, he had no choice: it was going to be spend some time among pirates and salt water, or go back and be thrown in political prison for sleeping with Baron Masoch’s wife.

“Not an easy choice,� he grunted to himself, dejectedly snatching up his back and making his way into town.

The stream of foot traffic was already growing insufferable, though, as always, he ate up the passing glances of women. A charming little smile, just enough to knock them over. That was part of being an incubus, that irresistible attraction most members of the fairer sex felt towards him.

His eyes traced hopelessly over the signs for a vacant hotel, but he found noneâ€"not in this street, anyway. Frowning, the incubus reached into the coat of his suit and withdrew a black cigarette and a pack of matches, lighting the former and stowing away the later. He took a long, low drag, letting the smoke curl lazily from his lips as he glanced around, trying to get a figure on which way to go.

A girl nearby looked a bit busy, but not too much to answer a question. He made his way to her side, still smiling faintly. She was pretty, he decided, albeit dirty.

“Excuse me, miss? I was wondering if you might give me a hand.�

Anonymous

Talia had woken up that morning as she had every morning… disappointed and disgruntled. Even so, she submitted herself to her work and spent the morning helping the cook, only to find that ‘the master’ (as he was now referring to himself) wanted something completely different and, but of course, sent Talia out to get it. She still managed to keep her head about her though, and with a few calming breaths managed to walk out of the door without a scowl.

Of course though, this just wasn’t her day at all and she had nearly gotten pick pocketed, had an argument with an ugly and sweaty fisherman about the pricing of his fish, and was now looking at all of the fruit she had just picked out with disdain as it nearly fell to the ground, but luckily she caught the basket before someone had even dared to speak to her.

‘Excuse me, miss? I was wondering if you might give me a hand.’

She turned around eyes not showing fury, but instead intense disdain. This was the man she had scoffed at only moments before for winking at multiple girls while he stood around radiating charm.

“Sorry. But as you can probably see all of my hands are full.�

Her voice, a rich and smooth alto, easily flashed with annoyance while still managing to linger on the boarder of rude. One more sentence though and she felt herself wanting to burst. Everything from his good looks to his charming smile irritating her at the moment. Why should she waste her time swooning over him? It’s not like she could catch a guy like that anyway… and who did he think he was asking her for help.

Her mind continued to grumble on about the many annoyances of the oh-so-very gorgeous man before her.

Anonymous

Cheshire smothered a grin at the girl’s utter crabbiness: he may not have enjoyed her rudeness, but he held great respect for a girl who didn’t succumb to him with the immediacy of so many others.

“I see that,� he assured her softly. “But all I require is the use of your voice. I need a nice inn that has some vacancy, would you happen to know one around?�

Then, glancing at her full arms, he smiled and asked, “Need a little help with that? You look exhausted.�
[/u]

Anonymous

Talia merely rolled her eyes as he spoke to her and tried to back away… but soon found herself tripping and toppling to the ground, skirts hiked up to her mid-thigh in a very unlady-like fashion as she scowed up at him like this is all his fault.

She audibly growled at the man standing above her feet, going to sit up only to find that her head swam and her eyes blurred.  Pressing it back against the ground lightly she shut her eyes tight trying to stop the aching feeling she felt.

Anonymous

The incubus chewed on his tongue to keep himself from laughing and stared down at her, saying, “Looks like I was right. Are you okay, miss? Are you hurt?� Meanwhile, the people around them chortled like animals: he shot them sharp glares, driving a few of them to silence.

He knelt down next to her, collecting what she’d dropped, and then offered her his hand. Yes, he decided, she could be quite pretty if she wasn’t scowling. “Cheshire Katze. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Miss…?

Anonymous

She heard him but his words seemed to be drifting around her… not quite sinking into her skin. So all she could do was pull close her eyes tight and try to concentrate on the words.

‘Looks like I was right. Are you okay, miss? Are you hurt?’

“Uh- no… I just… could you help me up… slowly.�

She began pulling herself up a bit so that her cleavage pushed against the frame of the dress as she leaned against the palms of her hands, which we placed behind her. She quickly switched so that all of her weight was leaning on her left hand while the right came to her face.

‘Cheshire Katze. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Miss…?’

“Talia Dodder… but don’t assume everyone’s a Miss… I could have been happily married and taken high offense to that.�

She took his hand in hers not sure whether she should shake it or let him pull her up so she let him make the first move after that.

“I can’t exactly say it was a pleasure Mr. Katze… but believe it or not this wasn’t the worst part of my day.�

She flashed a sardonic smile at the bitter irony of her day before sitting up completely rubbing her head with her left hand briefly while he still held the right.

Anonymous

The incubus happily helped the young woman up, carefully and slowly, gently supporting her in his arms and watching as she focused herself. His eyes traced over her forehead and her hair, and despite all the dirt he saw, he wasn’t sure that there was any blood. That reassured him, as did her last little remark.

“Ah, but you’re too young, too pretty to be married! Any man stupid enough to marry a pretty girl is asking for trouble.�

Then, chuckling, he tilted his head and looked at all that she had dropped.

“If it makes you feel better, I’ve been having a very bad month. Massive bodily injury and countless threats to my person. But then again,� he laughed, “the man making said threats is stupid enough to have married a pretty girl. Tell me, Talia, what’s made your day so bad?�

Anonymous

She almost blushed listening to him talk of marriage but settled for a smile none-the less. Just listening as he continued. Finally when she did speak it was as if she was the height of courtly manners. Feeling much better although she was still slightly sore from the fall.

“I am so sorry to hear of your misfortune, and there is no betterment to bring from speaking of mine… and so we seem to be at a lose of conversation.�

Her smile was purely wicked as she collected her things and faced the man who had been her injury as well as her savior from it and she gave an obviously fake courtly curtsy before leaving him to stand there. It was an insult covered by pretense. But only a few steps away things began to dawn on her… he did help her up… and he was polite enough not to insult her even though she had been so rude. A split second decision caused her to turn back towards him after she was already four steps away from the position she began in.

“But I believe there’s a hotel somewhere near here in that direction. Not that I would be one to ask. I was simply out to get the house groceries… so if you’d excuse me.�

She smiled… entrancing this time… almost challenging. Someone had once told her that everyone had their own smile… except her. She had every smile of the rainbow.

Anonymous

“There is never a loss for conversation,� the incubus chuckled warmly. “Particularly not with you. You speak as a fine lady but dress as a peasant, have the tongue of a viper but the face of an innocent. A charming ball of confusions and contradictions, from what I’ve seen thus far.�

His words seemed to be lost on her, though, as she turned away and began leave. His heart fellâ€"for an instant he felt that he would surely have to spend some time in a rotten, roach-infested hell-hole full of common, toothless whores. But then, she seemed to pity him.

And that rotten little grin of hersâ€"with a grin like that, she might pass for a succubus.

Laughing, Cheshire gave a low bow. “Thank you, my dear. May I help you with your things or walk you home to repay you for your kindness? Do you live very far?�

===

“Be careful with that! I didn’t get on a boat and chase an adulterer only to have my luggage wrecked by an incompetent servant.�

“Sorry, sir!�

“You’d better be. Any news of Katze’s whereabouts?�

“Some lady saw a man matching his description arrive this afternoon. Shall I investigate?�

“You shall, if you know what’s good for you.�

“As you wish, Sir.�

Anonymous

She must admit… he intrigued her, and for her that was quite an accomplishment. His words about her speech hitting dead on and more importantly was the way he spoke to her. Even though she had been a venomous little witch towards him he still spoke in soft tones with kind words. Finally when he bowed and his last words floated into her ears she nodded.

“Not too far, but it is in the opposite direction of the hotel. You may walk with me, but only if you wish. If this is just some act of kindness you feel that you have to offer please just leave now.�

That said she turned again, not waiting to see if he would follow, although her ears were prickling with the effort of listening for footsteps to either catch up to her or walk away from her finally tired of the games she feels she must play with others for her own protection.

Anonymous

Cheshire’s mouth curved into a smile. He normally didn’t bother to associate with women like her, the rough ones, the ones who spoke in such a sharp manner. But, he reasoned, it was a port town: there wouldn’t be any women of his sort. Besides, she was interesting. Challenging.

“Trust me, my dear,� he chuckled, catching up with her and shifting his bag to his far arm, “as you come to know me, you shall find I am seldom bound by the same obligations as your fellow man. May I?� he asked suddenly, offering his arm. “If you like, I might carry your fruit for you.�

A sudden feeling of slowly-moving dread crept over Cheshire: he satisfied himself with a quick glance over his shoulder and an assurance that it was his imagination. Steeling himself, he asked, “For whom do you work, Miss Dodder?�

Anonymous

She merely lifted an eyebrow at his first words offering acknowledgement without agreement. She debated handing him the basket… and she knew this must have shown across her face although she finally relented and handed it to him gently.

“Thank you sir.�

If it wasn’t for her clothes and the dirt smudged across her cheeks she would have looked like the epitome of a lady in that moment. Her words soft and curious, her smile much more feminine and kind. Talia’s blue eyes usually holding hostility as well as the thin green ring around its pupil, now showed gratitude and mild interest.

‘For whom do you work Miss Dodder?’

Long eyelashes fell down upon her eyes once before she spoke, her voice still courteous although not as sweet as a moment before.

“I work for a merchant by the name of Mr. Kilburn.�

Even as she stated the name and occupation of the man who practically owned her life her shoulders squared and her head held high. She may have been a servant but she still had her pride.

Anonymous

“You dislike him,� he observed with a wry grin. “Or at the very least, you dislike your situation.� He picked up on every nuance of her voice, on her body language, certainly. But what tipped him off was simply his nature: when she spoke of him, there was a void of any pleasure within her.

Again, that sensation of anxiety washed over him. The incubus’ eyes narrowed and he glanced over his shoulder once more, his gaze lingering. Did someone just disappear into that alley? The man walking away, was he following them until now? Sighing faintly, he straightened his gaze and waited patiently for Talia’s response.

But little did Cheshire know, he was right.

Anonymous

‘You dislike him, or at the very least, you dislike your situation.’

His words caught her slightly by surprise so she merely watched his facial features as he glanced behind himself for the second time… this one lingering. Soon his face was cleared of the slight glimmer of worry, but she had caught it and her smile once again changed. This time small and only holding a glimmer of her wicked nature.

“You’re worried about something. Someone, perhaps. Or at the very least you are just an extremely paranoid man.�

Her voice wasn’t sweet but neither was it cruel or mean. It seemed to linger somewhere between a simple confident statement and a laughable situation.

Anonymous

Cheshire nodded faintly. “I’m afraid, my dear, that at the moment it’s all three. Mostly the third, I think, influencing the others. But as I mentioned earlier, my fears are well within reason when given my situation.�

Then, shaking his head, he chuckled, “What do I know, though? When you fear your enemy, everyone wears his colors.�

He ignored the sensation that something was very wrong.

Anonymous

She listened to him intently her laugh small and smile slight, but both were still there proving that she didn’t entirely loath him.

‘What do I know, though? When you fear your enemy, everyone wears his colors.’

She nodded towards his wisdom before adding a comment of her own.

“Yes… but if you don’t fear your enemy you underestimate them… and you’ll soon find yourself in much worse trouble then glancing over your back a few extra times.�

Her smile now took on a more motherly tone as she watched him, excruciatingly analyzing.

Anonymous

“And here we find our impasse,� he pointed out, grinning. “You seem to have some experience with this, my dear. But I can’t imagine that you have many enemies, now…can you?�

===

“The demon is here, milord! I saw him walking with a peasant girl in the merchant district!�

“Splendid. Ready my carriage, alert my guards. Find and follow him again.�

“Yes, sir. Right away.�

Anonymous

She smiled with amusement at him eyes shining brightly at the conversation.

“With the way I treated you earlier I’m sure can imagine.�

She saw the house up at the corner and was mixed with a feeling of relief and regret. Relief because she no longer had to kind and social towards the man beside her and regret because she was actually becoming just a small bit fond of him. He was a good conversationalist.

Anonymous

“Really?� the incubus chuckled warmly. “How old are you? You seem to vivacious to have what one might truly consider ‘enemies’.� Then, drawing the cigarette from his lips and tapping a chunk of ash onto the sidewalk, he faltered. Was that guard coming over here, or was it his imagination.

Licking his lips and savoring the sweet taste of clove, Cheshire lowered his head slightly and looked into the basket.

“Somebody likes apples,� he remarked, imperceptibly picking up the pace. “You, or your-“

“Excuse me?�

The incubus’ stomach dropped and he looked upâ€"the guard had, in fact, been coming towards them. “Can I help you?â€? Cheshire asked coolly, one brow lifting.

Stopping before them, the guard scrutinized Cheshire’s features. “We’re working in cooperation with Baron Masoch, he’s looking for someone matching your profile. Do you have a travel visa?�

“Certainly,� he replied, glancing down to his bag. “Though it will take me a moment. Talia, would you be so kind to take your things so that I may find my papers?�

Anonymous

She chuckled happily at his comment about enemies before answering his first question.

“I’m nineteen, but don’t assume you know people so well.�

Her smile was mischievous until a guard decided to walk among their midst and she suddenly got the feeling that she knew what was going to happen before she really did.

She took the basket when he asked her to and flashed a sweet smile at the guard before glancing around the street once. The house was only up the street just a bit more… but if they had to run she’d have to try and loose the guard a bit first. She began running plans threw her mind as if this were a chess game. She was trying to see all the moves that the player before her could possibly do and her counter reactions toward them. All the while waiting patiently with her sweet as sunshine false smile and a façade of innocence that she hoped could keep her occupied whilst she waited for this twisted little day to unfold further.