Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Searching for a soul (private)

Started by Anonymous, May 03, 2008, 08:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Darkness closed his eyes. He heard the shadow speak but was not listening hard enough to know what he had said. He heard the man's footsteps and groaned, the shadow was going to get himself sucked in, or perhaps he would lose himself. The Image of Darkness tried to increase his focus and control but he was already at the height of his strength. All he could do to help the shadow was to do his best to draw himself in.

Perhaps the man would listen to reason, 'stand down, shadow. I have offered you no insult nor harm. Stand down I tell you, you will accomplish nothing by committing suicide.'

Darkness's body could now be seen inside the miasma, it was crouched up and covered in a thick layer of sweat. He was breathing heavily, his chest heaving with the effort of trying to breath in some of the darkness while still trying to breath normal air. He groaned, if he managed to do this he would need to sleep for severeal days.

He heard the half dragon's voice and the sound of something falling near him. Hopefully the stupid creature hadn't tried to attack him with something else. He could not focus on the darkness and defend himself. The darkness took precendce so he would have to worry about any wounds later. It's not like they would be able to get too close to him, right?

The last of the darkness was sucked in and he growled loudly in his low, deep voice. He remained kneeling and focused on the cut. He would have to keep everything contained until his body healed, it was very dangerous and needed constant focus. Slowly he looked up. There was a plant next to him. He didn't look at the half-dragon but murnered to him, 'what is this?' He would have asked more but he was too drained of energy.

Another distant cry sounded, was it Dave, the nymph or something else? 'Dave,' he groaned. Even now he would not be able to help Dave. Healing and holding everything in was more important. He let his head drop down once more, lowerring his body so that his head touched the ground. Had he allowed it, he would have shed a tear. 'I'm, sorry Dave.'

Anonymous

"You are helping him out of compassion for his suffering when he intends to do you harm," Kumori said in a flat tone to Lazarus. Even though the words were spoken quietly, once again they were still heard above the deafening roar of the vortex. "The wish to stop this madness is an understanding common to both of us, however I do not understand why you are helping him out of compassion."

Kumori couldn't understand why the half-dragon wanted to help this man, this man, who had come all this way with the intent of doing harm, of kidnap. Was this the precursor to a state of, what was it...Stockholm Syndrome? That sounded like the right name for this; loyalty towards the abductor.

However, there were other mitigating circumstances to take into account. Let's say...the violent torrent of darkness that was about to suck everything into a singularity. His eyes flicked from the flesh wound of the man's face, to the crackling vortex a few feet up in the air. Holy gods, it was distorting the light itself so that everything appeared to bend around it.

He listened to the half-dragon, and also to the voice of his reason, his better judgement. This was sheer mockery, wasn't it. The minute he decided to be pro-active and to do something, it all got thrown back. Maybe it was time to stop dreaming. Maybe it was time to stop playing a character in a story, and simply slip back into the background.

A sudden jolt almost wrenched his sword from the ground. Ha, he wouldn't have been able to do anything anyway, without being sucked in. The moment he let go of the sword, he would be swept away, and it was too hard to get back behind the shelter of the trees. He could only hold onto the hilt with his heels digging into the ground. His muscles were screaming in protest, and the clamour in his mind was becoming unbearable.

They had to stop this! Would decapitation be the answer? The half-dragon didn't seem to think so. He seemed to think there was a more compassionate way. Fine. He would see what would happen. If those plants couldn't seal the wound, then Kumori knew what he would have to do.

Anonymous

It was with an eerie lack of hesitation that Lazarus approached Darkness, a sort of dull tired expression on his face, He bent his front knees, sinking down in front of Darkness and scooping up the little wriggling plant he had tossed. He held it out in his dragon's claw, letting the thin worm-like vines lightly touch Darkness' cheek. Instantly the plant lept onto his skin. It wouldn't hurt at all, in fact the numbing agent the plant secreted would make the touch hardly noticeable.  

Where the wound had been the plant nestled onto Darkness' skin like a scar, planting itself there and then, oddly, turning a deep ill purple, almost black. Lazarus frowned, he had never seen anything like that before. Still, it was not as if that wound was a normal one.

Lazarus took a moment to glance around and survey the damage; his body ached with the mere thought of how much energy it would take to fix it all. He pushed away the impending fatigue with a small shake of his head, his sleek ash-blond air scattering around his shoulders, snaring on his elkish horns.

"That," he finally explained, letting his serpentine eyes slant slowly to Darkness, "Is the plant world's answer to stitches; it's much less damaging and works a lot better. In a few days, the plant will fall off, hopefully giving you enough time to heal..." Lazarus watched Darkness for a moment, remaining crouched but on his guard, his muscles tensed and ready to move, etched out in sharp edges under his scales, and ridged lines under his skin. "Can you stand? Or do you need a ride?" he added softly, shifting uncomfortably around his own contempt for his would-be captor.

Lazarus reasoned with himself that it was tradition to respect every form of life, thus violence against a wounded being, even one like Darkness, would be unforgivable. Besides, taking care of him would allow Lazarus to question him about his intentions; why the sudden capture attempt? He realized taking care of Darkness did not only fit under his people's tradition, but also served his own purpose, as well. If nothing else, it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on Darkness.

Lazarus raised his voice once more, so Kumori would easily be able to hear him. "It is a tradition of my people to respect life in all forms," he said, voice somewhere between wooden and sorrowful, a slip Lazarus had not intended. "As for compassion... it's simply a side note that I am a compassionate being. I do what I do for tradition, and tradition first. Upholding the values of my tribe is part of my mission, after all," he twisted slightly at the waist, so he could meet Kumori's eyes as he spoke. The scales on Lazarus' eyelids glistened like little flakes of emerald as he blinked; slowly, thoughtfully.  

He let the silence seep around them for a few long moments; it seemed thick and hot in replacement for the chill and rush the dark vortex had created.

Take care Darkness, perhaps Kumori -if not only question his plan of action- fix the damage Lazarus and the vortex had caused... and find Lyra. Lazarus doubted for a moment he would have the energy to carry anyone back to the shelter of the ruins, in fact he wasn't sure he had the energy to get there himself. For a moment he felt much to young for all of this... but he waited for that feeling to pass.

((OOC: OMG you guys ;_; I am so sorry! *points to signature* as you can see... exam evilness ;_; I'm almost done tho! Then I'll be way faster, promise!!))

Anonymous

Darkness ignored the shadow. The man was not worth the effort right now.

He didn't move or struggle as the half-dragon placed the plant on him. He felt it knit into the skin and pull at the edges. That was a good sign. If the plant suvived his healing process he would have to take a sample back. It may even be useful on Dave if he was still alive.

Darkness listeed to the dragon-man speak but took very little register of it. He was so damned exhausted. He lifted his head an noticed the dragon-man surveying the damage. He looked haggard, surely the darkness hadn't taken that much out of the creature. 'I will help with the repairs. You and the rest of you people deserve that.'

He pushed himself to his feet, ambled over and held onto the half-dragon. He would not ride the creature but he would use him for support. It took him a few moments to refocus his energy before speaking, 'so long as I don't have to walk far.'

Anonymous

The magnetic pull upon his body ceased, and Kumori's muscles finally gave way, allowing his body to collapse. His sword clattered to the ground beside him as he sank to his knees, trying to contain the trembling that had broken out across his body. It was a fine trembling, tiny spasms of muscle that indicated deep and utter fatigue. How much energy had he expended, fighting off the pull of the dark vortex?

He lifted heavily lidded eyes to the spot above the gaping hole in the ground, and watched dully as the black vortex grew smaller and smaller, spiralling in on itself into a tiny singularity. It spiralled ever smaller, and finally winked out of existence. To Kumori, it felt as if a weight had been lifted from his world. Something heavy, something oppressive had been removed, and now, once he recovered, he would be able to walk free again.

This shouldn't have affected him so much.

Maybe, if he listened to himself...

He closed his eyes, and allowed his breathing to synchronise with the rise and fall of the wind. Closing in, focusing inwards, Kumori found that white peaceful part of himself where he used to seek strength and solace, back when he was still a member of the old order. Back when he had been one-hundred percent human rather than this monstrosity.

"It is a tradition of my people to respect life in all forms."

Those words came back to him.

Why?

Because...they imparted the same views that Kumori himself stood for. And yet, he had allowed himself to become blinded by hate and prejudice. Hate, for the darkness. It was a hate stemmed more from hatred for himself, rather than anything else. He couldn't...wouldn't accept what he was. Hell, he didn't even know what he was!

The shadows rose and fell around him, clamouring in his mind for his personal undivided attention. In anger, Kumori shoved them away.

How dare you invade my personal space!

They were there too, in his mind...everywhere. And they would never ever leave him alone. For as long as there was life in this body, for as long as his lungs could draw another breath, they would be here with him, until his dying day.

His shoulders slumped, and he opened his eyes. Picking up his sword, he used it to lever himself upright. Kumori sighed when it seemed as though the half-dragon had made his choice to help the man who was here to kidnap him.

Well, so be it.

Without a backward glance, he sheathed his sword, shook his cloak and headed off in a different direction, through the denser part of the forest. No doubt dangers lay here. No doubt he would find peace too. And if the man of darkness did try something dishonourable again then he wouldn't be too far away.

He wondered what would become of the skeleton though, trapped at the bottom of that hole. He wondered, and then realised that he didn't care.

Anonymous

Lazarus watched Kumori go, wishing he had something worth calling out to the man but knowing that he had nothing to say that Kumori would find any value in. He was obviously  someone who had been through something terrible, and the days events had seemed to agitate old wounds. Lazarus sighed, feeling a familiar sense of uselessness, and then batting it quickly away.

He was startled then to hear Darkness speak. Not only that, he seemed to be offering to help fix the damage.

"Thank you... but I do believe it is more beneficial for you to heal, and I should be able to fix this alone..." his voice dropped to a quite mumble "after I wash the damn numbing powder off my claw..." he flexed his dragon hand in irritation, shaking his head to scatter all the self scolding thoughts that buzzed there. It was a stupid mistake, but what was done was done, and he could only fix the damage that was caused. "The rest of my people... I wonder, are you aware that I am the very last...?" it was mostly a question to himself, but he spoke it out loud anyway.

Lazarus offered his arm for support, giving a curt nod to Darkness' question. "It's not far." He began to walk, keeping his pace slow so Darkness could keep up as well. The plant-life parted before them like curtains as they walked through the brush, and soon huge stone buildings became visible through the spaces between the trees. As they climbed the impressive looking stone steps that lead to the huge arching doorway into what appeared to be some sort of temple, Lazarus began to speak.

"My name is Lazarus, and this, more then anywhere else on this island, is my home. This is where I sleep, and where I spend the most time, so I ask that you treat it with care. Should you need anything, do not hesitate to ask." As they stepped inside, the walls of the temple came into view. They were covered with mosaics, little flakes of emerald, sapphire, ruby, and other precious things dotted the walls to create beautiful pictures of other creatures just like Lazarus. In this depiction, they seemed to be dancing in celebration around a huge roaring fire.

"That being said, I do not want you to feel frightened to ask for anything. My people are- were a very peaceful race, and we do not abide by violence against life of any kind. In fact, we never kill... unless it is to eat." He came to a stop just before a sprawling nest of different fabrics, silks and cottons and other such things he had collected. His voice did not change tone as he spoke next; remaining calm and detached as it had before, "Though... should you chose not to honor the traditions of my people while you stay... should you chose to harm Lyra, or Kumori... I feel I should warn you, I am not picky in what I eat." Crossing his arms tightly across his chest, he managed a trim half-smile.

"I am going to wash my claw so it is no longer numb. Then, I'm going to find you some more of those plants to keep your wound shut. I'm also going to check on Lyra, and Kumori... and see if I can find your skeleton friend." Lazarus stopped talking, but his voice filtered into Darkness' mind.

'Then I am going to see about fixing the damage I caused. If you need anything, you can call me the same way I am speaking to you know. I opened a channel between us... so should you need anything, do call.'

Anonymous

Darkness groaned in reply, he didn't have much energy left for much else. He would talk to the half-dragon later. He then pushed himself over to something that may have been a bed and sat down. He closed his eyes and continued to focus on holding everything in.

When the half-dragon mentioned Dave, Darkness pulled out the broken arm and stared at it. Dave, hang in there.

The darkness swirled within him, fighting to be free once more. Darkness knew that it was a part of himself that could never really be free. He had often used it to scare people or drive them insane if they attacked him but he had never truly let it free.

Lazurus spoke into his mind so Darkness put up a shield against the black pit within him. Get out of there, it is dangerous, he ordered. He tried to force the dragon-man out of his mind but did not have the energy nor the talent. Darkness had no mind control abilities to use to protect the dragon or the link he produced. Break the link on your way out.

OOC: Sorry it's so short. Also, I want Darkness to find Dave if that's okay. Lazarus can look for him but perhaps the chasm is too thin to get down to Dave or something impedes him.

Anonymous

Kumori was sat upon another rock again, similar to the one he had first been upon when he had encountered the half-dragon earlier in the day. It was now late afternoon, and here in the dense undergrowth, the heavy air hung saturated with vapour and an assortment of buzzing insects, flitting to and fro as they ceaselessly pollinated all the wild and fabulous flowers that breathed life here. The terrain was exceedingly jungle-like; so warm that he had to remove his cloak. Currently, all of Kumori's belongings lay in a small pile at his feet - the neatly folded cloak, the sheathed sword, his small backpack of essentials, and his water-skin.

He removed the glove from his right hand and rolled up his sleeves, exposing his ghostly pale flesh to the dancing sun beams, the shafts of wonderful light that managed to slice through the canopy. His flesh didn't feel the warmth of the sunlight very often. Most of his body was wrapped up in incredibly tight black linen clothing, held together by black leather straps, which he was currently unfastening. After he exposed his right arm, he did the same with his left arm. This was the hand that had been blistered by the shining golden spore of the half-dragon's tree.

The flesh was still puffy and red, and seemed to have spread slightly. It looked as if it had been burned. Flexing his hand, he felt part of his skin crack in the ridges, and winced. In all of the hassle earlier, he hadn't noticed this pain, but here where he was alone, every sound, every thought, every action, and every feeling was magnified. His other muscles clenched in retaliation to the pain, and momentarily, his pupils dilated, so that the blackness filled his eyes, but then it passed.

Looking around, his eyes roamed the surroundings, searching for a healing herb, or for any of the more versatile plants that he could make a bandage from. As he owned so little, Kumori was pretty adept at using whatever nature threw at him as a resource, and in time, he had fashioned some bandages from some large leaves and had clumsily tied it up using some vines. The leaves had been lined with some herbs which he had crushed. They weren't healing herbs, but would calm his skin down, and would suffice until he could get back to the ship, or find something better.

A thought occurred to him. How was the nymph doing? He wondered if he should go seek her out and see if she was alright. He could vaguely remember which direction he had come from so it shouldn't be too much hassle finding his way out of here. But, a little nap wouldn't do him any harm. And it was so peaceful here...

Anonymous

OOC: No problem; I'll come up with something so Laz wont find Dave :D Sorry this is so long guys ;_; I know a lot of it doesn't really seem relevant >_>;; but I kinda suck at trying to write things so they don't come out long ^_^;;

Lazarus couldn't help a small sigh, his lean arms folding crispy across his chest.

"You worry to much. I am not... inside your mind, my mental powers compare to speaking. It is no danger at this level, I promise you," Lazarus struggled to think of an example Darkness could understand, but he knew very little he could use to give examples with at all.

"Once, I traveler's child showed me this strange contraption; two empty cans with a string between them. She showed me that if she spoke into one can from a ways away, and if the string between them was taut, then I could hear her. That's really all my power is... at this level. But I do not intend to forge any greater connection with you," he said this as if if were completely ridiculous. "Besides, I need to be able to communicate with you, should you need anything." With that, Lazarus gave a small dismissive wave, and headed for the door. He was a little irritated over the lack of response he had gotten for all his previous comments, but he hoped the silence from Darkness only meant his warnings had been taken seriously.

Time to work, he thought to himself, suddenly fiercely missing all the peaceful solitude he had taken for granted just that morning. It didn't take him long to find a vein of river and clean his hand, nor to gallop to the scene of the recent havoc. Lazarus looked carefully down each crevasse with his darkness-piercing eyes, but saw no flash of white bone. Perhaps the skeleton creature fell into the underground river, Lazarus mused with a small frown, or perhaps the ghosts found him. There were a small collection of pirate ghosts down below, although they were only unfriendly to obviously alive creatures, Dave seemed to be the type of creature they would like.

Either way he had to much left to do before donating any huge amount of time to exploring the underground caves, so he vowed to do that later, and perhaps ask Darkness if he'd like to come as well.

Each time he was sure the break in the ground he checked was empty, Lazarus would set to weaving vines, grasses, and mosses about the wounded earth, stitching it together as easily as if it were skin, and he a skilled surgeon. By the end of it, the ground was rocky and uneven in spots but there were no visible cracks. Long grasses and hardy looking mosses carpeted the ground, while trees with impressive powerful looking roots clutched the ground together in spots where it might have been weak. The huge carnivorous flower, and the spore producing tree, had been reshuffled to a sharp ridge of rock. This way, no wondering animal could accidentally stumble upon them, and the flower could have the pleasure of eating anything that tumbled off the above cliff.  

After that, Lazarus had very little energy left for gathering, but set to it anyway. After an hour or two he had a woven grass basket filled with a variety of different brightly colored herbs. There were a few flowers, some small dark colored leaves and a few thin bright vines. He had collected a good deal of that worm-like parasite plant, because it appeared the one he had given Darkness before was not going to hold up well. Lazarus supposed this was because the wound was as much magical as physical.

'If only I knew of a way to lessen the effects of magic-' he stopped mid thought, blinking slowly, and shook his head with a slow groan. Today was not Lazarus' day for thinking clearly.

For the second time that day Lazarus carefully pulled off one of his smaller scales, this one from just below his human belly. Pressing the point of the tear-drop shape to the soft middle of his human palm, he let his own blood drip over the edges. One the scale was slick enough, he reached into his basket and produced a wriggling wormy parasite plant, and let it crawl across the scale. It happily fastened to the bloody edges, creating something that looked somewhat like an eye patch. Lazarus wrapped the whole thing in a huge furry leaf about the size of his foot, wanting to keep it safe from any other plants, and dropped it in his basket.  

Next on his agenda, was to check up on Kumori and Lyra. He happened across the shadow warrior first, whom appeared to be resting upon a huge sun-saturated rock. Lazarus smiled faintly as he approached, deciding that as soon as he was done, he would most likley do the same.

He noticed with a small frown the makeshift bandage Kumori had made, and remembered the spores that had damaged him. The whole battle seemed like something from years ago; the peace of the jungle muffling any lingering traces of strife in the air.

"Good afternoon, Kumori," he said politely, quietly, testing to see if the other was even awake. "How are your wounds? You did a fine job at tending them."

OOC: It seems people are going to look for Lyra next round, or at least soon :O Is she okay to come back yet? Anyone know?

Anonymous

The Image of Darkness only half listened to what the half-dragon was saying. The creature seemed to need to talk a lot, much like Dave in that way. Darkness tried not to think about Dave, or anything else, for the rest of the day. The grief would only guild as he ignored it but for now, controlling himself was more important.

Slowly, shadows began to flicker about the room. A more natural side to Darkness that would not harm anything. Every now and then Darkness would breathe deeply and pull the darkness back in.

OOC: I'm afraid that Darkness is going to be a little inactive for a while. Unless something goes wrong he has nothing to do except control himself and get tired. Do you want me to still post or would you rather that I just put little things like this?

Anonymous

"Good afternoon, Kumori. How are your wounds? You did a fine job at tending them."

Even before the half-dragon spoke, Kumori seemed somehow to be aware of his presence. It felt like a shadow on the fringes of his mind vision, something fleeting. It was something non-corporeal yet held a light weight, like moth wings trembling. It had been a long time since Kumori had really and truly abandoned himself to the full immersions of sleep.

These days, he was just drifting with the vestiges; always needing to be alert for one reason or another. This was another example of the shadowy dream-like world he inhabited where it was neither night nor day, a twilight state of being.

Raising himself into a sitting position, Kumori slowly climbed up the walls to the tower of the wakeful. The stages to waking up melted into each other. When one was truly asleep, it was a delight, for sleep was delicious and warm and golden. Blinking fuzzily, he suppressed a yawn and locked his gaze onto the half-dragon.

Hm, his inner voice murmured thoughtfully. Never even caught this fellow's name.

In response to the half-dragon's words, Kumori's lips twitched into the faint traces of a smile, and he allowed his gaze to fall upon his arm. Flexing his bicep, the plant sling shivered against the rough cloth of his clothing.

"I don't suppose you have any aloe around here?"

As he spoke, he realised that he was in a state of disarray. Kumori leaned over and picked up his cloak. Shaking it so that the material unfolded, he then wrapped it around himself so that he felt less exposed. Building up the walls again, he slipped his glove on too, and got to his feet.

((Sorry for short post!))

Anonymous

"Aloe, aloe..." Lazarus paused thoughtfully, one of his long dragon fingers tapping his flank absently, creating a glass-like clicking sound. "Yes, a short ways from here. I'll show you," he said, shifting the basket against his entirely human arm.

As Kumori adjusted his clothing and pulled on his cloak, Lazarus' head gave a curious tilt. He vocalized no curiosity, for he knew clothing was a common concern for most humans (or human shaped creatures) but the idea of it still confused him. Why would any creature want to cover up their original form? Especially in such heat? Suddenly, a different thought struck him.

"It occurs to me that you have shared your name, and yet do not know mine," human hand occupied, Lazarus offered his claw to shake, a gesture he had picked up from the few friendly travelers that had chanced across his island years before. "My name is Lazarus," he said, the whiteness of his fangs, and snake-like canine teeth showing faintly through his smile. Despite his somewhat reserved expression, his massive tail swayed leisurely behind him, a relaxed gesture.

As he turned and prepared to lead Kumori the short distance to the little aloe patch, he added. "I apologize for causing such a mess in the middle of that... confrontation," he flexed his claw at his side, making sure no touch of numbness lingered there. "It was a stupid mistake on my part."  

((No worries :D Interaction always ends up a little shorter after all ^_^ ))

Anonymous

Darkness took a deep breath to draw in as much of the darkness as possible. He rubbed his face; the strain of holding himself at bay was wearisome. Perhaps there was some plant that could drain the fatigue off him. He would ask the half-dragon when he got back.

Anonymous

"My name is Lazarus."

Kumori looked down at the extended claw hand and deduced that the being now known as Lazarus wished to shake appendages. He pressed his gloved palm against Lazarus's claws, and shook it slightly dubiously. Not really being much for physicality or formality, Kumori felt somewhat out of place with this traditional greeting. But he tried to make it look as hearty as possible, even managing a faint watery smile. Kumori let go of the hand and bent over to retrieve his things before following Lazarus.

"I apologize for causing such a mess in the middle of that... confrontation. It was a stupid mistake on my part."

"What is done is done," Kumori replied.

The past was something that couldn't be changed, so why bother dwelling on it? It was funny, that, for Kumori brooded upon his past for far longer than he would've liked to admit.

He ducked to avoid some vines, which sported huge yellow bell flowers. Both his and Lazarus' movements caused them to tremble in the canopy so they spilled their pollen and nectar in a fine mist. The smell was sweet, like honey. A gargantuan bee buzzed past, eager to snatch up the golden nectar, and like before, when the stinging spores had drifted down, Kumori paused and tilted his face upwards, watching the pollen drift. A few particles landed on his nose, and he sneezed in response. Sniffing, Kumori hurried on after Lazarus.

He didn't know where they were going, but here, the jungle seemed to be thicker and therefore darker. Something up ahead was white and swinging from side to side, ever so slowly. Kumori couldn't make out what it was at first, but there was something not quite right, which made the hairs on the back of his neck stand up.

"Lazarus?" He enquired.

They were much closer now, and Kumori could clearly perceive that it was a skeleton, hanging from what appeared to be a weathered trap. The skeleton still sported tattered clothing, remnants of a uniform. The noose and the trap seemed far too complicated to have been made by anything he had seen so far in this forest, apart from...

...the being sauntering ahead of him.

((Sorry about the late reply, had a rather action packed weekend!))

Anonymous

"What is done is done."

How true, Lazarus thought with a little pang of relief; fretting over it would do nothing, so why bother? He could not help the faintest of chuckles as Kumori sneezed, giving a small wave of his claw so the vines around them lifted a few inches, making the path for them the slightest bit wider.

"What a horrible place to have allergies," he mused, taking a deep breath and savoring the sweet smell of the bright yellow flowers. He was so intent on watching the pollin as it floated like little specks of gold, he hardly noticed the swinging white remains until Kumori said his name.

Even so, the creature hardly looked phased in the least.

"Does the sight of him bother you?" he asked in the same careless, unworried voice. Lazarus took a few more heavy steps, stopping just before the hanging trap and bending down. Below the dead thing's feet sprouted the thick and waxy looking plant, the thorns on its edges a little sharper looking than normal. Lazarus plucked a few of the thick vibrant green sprouts and tossed them in Kumori's direction.

Standing close to the skeleton, with the cover of the hanging vines slightly lifted, it was easy to see all the scars that covered the old bones; claw marks, teeth marks, cracks in the marrow. Some of the bones were even missing.  

Lazarus' eyes drifted back to the hanging body, his snake-like pupils expending as he sunk into thought.

"He was a trapper..." he mused out loud, "Part of a crew... I warned them to leave, but they would not. So here he is... I do not kill, you see. This way, his body gave everything back to the earth... creatures could feed on his flesh, his decomposition could feed the plants... retribution could be given for what he tried to take."

Anonymous

The Image of Darkness needed water. He put one hand on his head and pushed himself to his feet. With one hand on his head and the other outstretched, he went to find an ewer or something. He found something that looked like water and used it to cool his face before drinking. It tasted like water, only cleaner. He sat on the floor, groaning as he went. There was too much light but he didn't want to relax his hold. He would just have to wait for the half-dragon to return.

Anonymous

"Does the sight of him bother you?"

Kumori stared at the hanging skeleton. The bones swayed gently in time to the music of the wind, with the sighs of the leaves as an accompaniment. His eyes then followed Lazarus as he moved to stand just underneath the dead man. Catching the sprouts was no more than an instantaneous reaction, a reflex that was quick as lightning and had passed before he even had time to blink, or to wonder why he was holding some parts of a green plant in his hand.

"Not as much as I would have liked it to bother me."

His voice too was empty.

Kumori had relapsed back into the state of being he had embodied when first setting foot here. It was strange to think that so much had happened, in so little time. No more than a few hours had passed.

"I do not kill, you see."

Looking at the dead man, it was convenient though, how the man had fallen into his own trap. The irony did not escape Kumori's attention.

He'd forgotten to ask the Captain when the ship would be setting off again, so Kumori's next thought was to find out where the coast was, so he could see if the ship was still there on the other island. If the tide was high, then he wouldn't be able to walk back across the sandy stretch.

Changing the subject, he asked, "How far away are we from the coast?"

Anonymous

((OOC: Okay, WTF yahoo mail, I NEVER got a post saying there was new stuff here >_>;; so sorry, didn't know it was my turn! *hurries!*))

Lazarus felt small pangs of concern for the man before him; there was something so distinctly broken about him, and not just in the way the numbness blanketed him at that moment. No, it was something more, something that went far deeper then a simple lacking of emotion. Most creatures, Lazarus included, could switch off an unpleasant feeling when necessary... but this seemed less then a choice, it seemed in fact the lack of it. Lazarus was unsure of what to say; this creature had somehow managed to be both impressive and pitiable, and he doubted very much Kumori would enjoy hearing either observation.

"The coast? Oh, it is a ways. Perhaps a few hours on your feet. Is there somewhere you need to be?" he asked with a touch of genuine curiosity. Kumori didn't seem the type to have a driving direction, yet Lazarus supposed that he may just not wish to be stuck on the island, especially with all the drama that had, and was bound to happen.

It occurred to Lazarus it had been a long while since he had seen either of the islands other two visitors, so tentatively he reached out through his thoughts, his senses fanning out, threadbare but stretched far across the island.

'Shadow-creature?' he had yet to learn Darkness' name, 'Are you still well?' even his mind voice was crisp and held little kindness, but he was truly concerned for him. Then, in a much softer brighter tone, he called out, 'Lyra?'

Anonymous

'I am not a shadow and I do not want you near my mind. I am struggling as it is without you getting in here,' The Image of Darkness relpied in a similar tone. He did not bother to answer the half-dragon but attempted to break the link. If something did happenwhile the link was connected, the creature could be driven insane.

Anonymous

"I am not sure," Kumori murmured, a little absentmindedly. He was bound to this earth by no chains, other than the invisible ones that had kept his soul from slipping into the eternal afterlife. "I go where the wind takes me."

He couldn't see how high up in the sky the sun was, but chances were it would have set by the time he made it back to where the ship had last been. A tingling feeling in his hand, as if a wave of needles had been splashed upon it, brought his thoughts back to the present.

"Are we close to the aloe, Lazarus? For my hand does itch so."

((Real life is pretty heavy, so sorry for short post! Turns out I will be going away again, soon for a week or so, argh!! >.< *bows for forgiveness*))