Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

All the right reasons [open]

Started by Anonymous, September 26, 2008, 04:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The landscape around him had not changed much since he had left his group several days ago. The same dullness of the vast open plains, with the same brown-gray colors and with only a few plants here and there, trying to make an effort to spice things up a bit. It was all in vain, the sadness and atmosphere of long gone times of war and destruction abducted any attempt to bring light and life to this place. It had been days now that he had left, never once seizing to keep on walking, and the wounds on the side of his head as well as those on his abdomen were starting to heal: they had stopped bleeding for some time now. The deep cut on his right thigh though, was a different story. Unconciously, his hand shot to the wound and he cringed when he touched it harder than he intended.

'Choose, Conlàed!' Faridon shouted with his fist in Conlàed's direction. He spat the two words out as if they had been burning in his throat for a long time already, and Conlàed knew he should be afraid. But he was not. He knew he had made a grave mistake when he tried to get to know Maha. She was beautiful, and seemed so sweet to him. He was about the age to choose a wife, and she had been the only one that suited him in the entire group. Conlàed had been foolish to think that the rules about Maha, the daughter of the group Elder, would not apply to him if he showed he cared about her. Maha was only fourteen, and didn't fully understand what marriage and bonding was, since her father had never wanted to speak about it after his wife died at Maha's birth, and he had forbidden every woman in the group to speak to Maha about it.

Conlàed had known what the consequences were. A choice he would be given, an answer of him would be taken.
Banishment or battle. Most men who were given this choice, although it only happened about once in a decade, chose banishment. The battle would be one till one of the two battlers - usually the group Elder and the accused - killed the other. There was no other way. Conlàed did not need to contemplate his options any further, he knew that his options were scarce. Unconciously he straightened his back and looked up straight into Faridon's eyes - which was yet another crime against the group Elder. With a soft, barely audible deep voice he silenced the mob around them. When he answered Faridon, he looked deep into Maha's eyes. She stood right next to her father, with a scared look on her face.

'I choose battle.'

Immediately the mob cried out, the women wailing loudly and the men threw their fists high in the air. Conlàed had been a revered member of the group, strong, brave and determined, but against Faridon... wasn't this a certain death? Faridon's face was drawn, Conlàed saw. With one hand he ripped his shirt of his body, exposing his powerful torso that was covered with scars. The more scars a man had, the more honor he was treated with. Conlàed followed him in his movements, ripping off his own shirt as well. The amount of scars he had wasn't even close to match Faridon's.

The men circled each other, the mob around them dashing backwards to make room for them and to allow more to view the spectacle. Maha covered her eyes. The tension was high and no one dared even to breathe too loudly. A strategy quickly formed in Conlàed's mind as he spotted a pointed rock close to Faridon's feet, and he started moving in that direction as Faridon moved the opposite way. Slowly, Conlàed lowered his body to pick up the stone, and at the exact same moment Faridon dove upon him. Conlàed fell on his back and planted his feet in Faridon's abdomen, making him airborne again with one mighty push of his legs and causing the powerless body to fly over him and fall head first in the dust. In a sideways roll, Conlàed brought himself to his feet again, staying low to the ground until Faridon had gotten up. His brow was bleeding and his face was covered in dust, which fell of when he wiped his hand over it. Conlàed had never seen Faridon this way. He never knew that a person could make such a face, the face of a beast so angry it was. For the first time that day he felt a tinge of fear. The first strike was his, but the battle was far from over.

With a roar, Faridon charged again and ran right into Conlàed's belly with his head stuck out like a battering pole: the impact was greater than he expected and he collapsed on the ground. Before he could do anything but wipe the dust out of his eyes Faridon was on him, and his fist made rough contact with Conlàed's jaw. Twice. His muscles flexed and anger incinerated him as he brought up his knee to make Faridon lose balance, and then threw him over on his back. With one hand pressing hard on Faridon's trachea, almomst suffocating him, he used the other to give Faridon the same as he had given him. With the third stroke, he spat out blood and a piece of a tooth, but before Conlàed could finish what he started he cried out in pain when Faridon planted his knee on a very sensitive spot between his legs and spat the remains of the blood in his mouth in Conlàed's face. Conlàed roared in anger and pain, and in a flash he saw the pointed stone lying not too far away from him. Adrenalin rushed through his veins and anger like he had never felt before overtook his rationally thinking mind. He took a handful of dust and stuffed it in Faridon's mouth, punching him in the belly. With unbelievable speed he reached for the stone and before anyone realized what had happened, it had sank deep between Faridon's ribs. Red liquid flowed over the sandy earth as Conlàed got off Faridon, his hands still in fists, turning around to the mob. They were standing as if they were statues, still and with open mouths, shocked faces. A woman fainted with a soft cry.

Conlàed looked at Maha, who had sank on her knees with her hands before her eyes. He walked toward her and put his hand on her shoulder, hushing her. 'I'm sorry, little one,' he whispered softly. He wanted to say more, but a searing pain in his right thigh made him scream out. The pain was drawn on his face when he looked around to see what had happened, and his eyes widened in shock when he saw to whom the hand belonged - the hand that had thrust the same rock in Conlàed's thigh. It was Faridon. His last words were written on his face.
Leave my daughter alone. Coughing up blood and too weak to keep his head up, Faridon collapsed on the ground. The rattling in his throat was the man's last breath.

A few moments after Faridon's death, Conlàed gathered his last strengths to pull the stone out of his flesh and to get up. He was leaving. He would not come back. No one in the group needed words to know what Conlàed was going to do. His face was a map, and it showed him his way out of here, but not his goal. One of the warriors kneeled when Conlàed walked past him. More followed. One of the nodded at him, so wishing him farewell.

Conlàed still felt the eyes in his back when he was days away. And he cried.

A shiver ran down his spine as Conlàed recalled the battle. From now on, he would be a loner. He was a group person, but not a follower of the rules. Those characteristics collided and the impact was too great not to have consequences.

The heat was pressing, the sun bit his skin without any sign of mercy, sweat soaked his trousers. His footwear had been lost some hours ago, and now the soles of his feet were burning in the hot sand. A lizard shot by occasionally, and once a long, rope-like animal with relatively large fangs. Conlàed had never seen such an animal, but he was too exhausted to care.

When the air was vibrating, when the sun was highest in the sky and when everything was something else to Conlàed as it seemed, he sank through his knees on the ground, breathing heavily, staring into the distance without seeing anything. This is the end. It must be. What else is there after this? he thought warily. When his eyes finally focused for several seconds, something became visible. Something he had seen several times already, but refused to exist when he got there. An oasis. With a loud groan, he dropped to his elbows and worked his way to what he hoped was the shade and the water. One last time, he would try.

With his eyes closed, Conlàed crept onward. When the heat and the lack of water finally seemed to overtake him and he couldn't hold on anymore, an odd feeling came upon him. The sun seemed less hot, as did the sand beneath his hands. With the greatest possible effort, Conlaèd opened his eyes a bit and looked up. He did not see what he expected to see, which was the burning sun momentarily taken over by a small cloud. No. He - saw - leaves. Giant leaves, like those of a palm tree. It took him several seconds to take it in, but then he realised he made it. This was no illusion, no dream, no hope vaporizing instantly when he was finally able to touch it. He was there, the oasis would be his rescuer.

Conlàed's fingers dug down in the sand when the last energy he had found its way out, and felt wetness. Without further thinking, he pushed himself forward another couple of inches with the last forces of his body, and drunk from the pool that lay beneath the tree.

Although the man was not alone, he was not aware of it. I am still here, though no one sees me. I am still among them, though no one knows it. I still breathe and talk, but no one hears me. I am still here.

The man lies there in the sand, covered in dust and dirt, and I can see him struggling to keep taking the water in. Oh yes, it must be a hard battle against draught and heat. I wouldn't know, but this man before me is the living proof. I sit here waiting until he finally gives up, the moment he surrenders to nature, a powerful being above all. No still living man can win from her, our Mother Earth. Centuries of war have proven that, but still man is too arrogant to see they have lost. They are recovering, recovering quickly from the losses they suffered and the battles they fled from. I am still here.

I know that the man's name is Conlàed, and that he was once a revered member of a small nomad group. His strength and bravery made him an icon for the other men, a loved and wanted husband for the women. Now he is crawling in the dust and fighting to stay alive. There was a time that my instinct and nature would have driven me to kill him, to make an end to his suffering, but that lust is now far from me. How could I ever kill a man with so much will to live.

And so I remain where I am, not far away, not closeby, but ever with him. With all men I stay, until they need me again. For now, my work is done.

[OOC: I am sorry, this is perhaps a little too long xD Hope no one finds it terribly boring...]

Anonymous

Crystalina fell back into reality. Her eyes were still closed and her whole body ached. The memories of the night before (or at least she thought it had been the night before) rang out in her head like a church bell. She shifted. It was hot very hot and her face seemed to be laying on something grainy--

Her eyes shot open; the sun glared in her eyes and her hands swept close pulling sand near her face. Were am I? she thought. Slowly she brought herself to her knees dusting off the sand from her forest green dress.

It must be a dream. Last night must have been a dream. She looked at her right hand wrist and saw the mark of the witch. It was not a dream and now she was in a desert.

"I will send you somewhere safe," her mother had said. "Somewhere that they will not find you. And she had succeeded. Crystalina was in a desert. With no one.

She turned her head noticing what looked like oasis but it couldn't be, could it? She stood, unsteady. If there was no oasis she did not know what she was going to do. Maybe she would just kill herself and get it over with.

Something bumped against her leg. Roscoe!

"Roscoe, what are you doing here?" she asked bending down to pick him up. She stumbled forward and continued. Roscoe meowed.

Crystalina stumbled under the leafy shade and toward the pool of water. Someone was there. A man. She dropped Roscoe who meowed and leaped for the water.

Anonymous

"So.. Much... Sand..." I jammed my halberd into the ground and looked around. There was sand for miles, and I wasnt getting anywhere. "Chin up Remaki... You'll find your way out soon." I had been wandering for days, getting low on supplies. I could make food using magic, but with limited supplies and the fact I was already tired did not make it taste good. I had used a teleport spell, and I had not done it right. It threw me into this forsaken waste land. If I could just figure out some formulas, I could get out of this desert in minutes, but I didnt have time to sit on the burning sand and work it out. I needed to get somewhere cooler. I wanted to use an ice spell on myself, but I knew it would only use up the last of my energy. My body ached all over, and I was hot.

My halberd wasn't helping either. It was a light weapon, but I felt it starting to get heavy. If I used it to try and walk, then it would sink into the sand, and I would use more effort getting it out. I considered ditching it, but this design of weapon no longer existed as far as I could tell. I dug it up in some ruins while doing some magical research. I slung it on my back and kept trudging along.

I had fallen victim to spells that mess with the mind before. It was part of being a battlemage, but if someone was messing with my head now then they were plain cruel. Ahead I saw an oasis, under a tree. That was what I needed. "K...stop there... and get out... of this damned desert..." I breathed. I dragged myself along, ignoring the other current occupants of the oasis. I dropped my bag and books before I just fell over into the pool of water.

Stay on your mission Remaki...

Anonymous

[OOC: My apology again Lyra at my delay in posting. I hope I wasn't holding things up. Thanks for the invite. Hello everyone! Great to be a part of the game...]

Picas stared at the slowly passing scenery (what there was of it) with an active disinterest. Her short-cropped chestnut hair danced gently at the urging of the hot dry desert air. While she had never had the slender, smooth forms that most men seem to desire in a woman, her round face -so she was often told by her mother- did have a simple beauty when she smiled. However, no one would have known by looking at her then due to the scowl that seemed to have been permanently etched into her features over the last few days journey.

Around the slow-moving camel-driven cart, in which she glumly sat, stretched a seemingly endless expanse of hot sand, quivering under the burning heat of the sun. The closest thing to variety in the landscape seemed to be that some sand dunes were larger than others.

"You're going to slow!" spat Picas to one of the several other occupants of the cart. She gulped another refreshing dose from her water skin. "We should be there by now!"

The driver at whom she had directed the remark did not turn to face her, nor even show that he had heard the young woman's objections. Instead his eyes narrowed further and his dark frown increased. This had been an ongoing process for most of the day, as Picas mood had turned particularly sour after waking up in the desert once more that morning.

After a time he replied, with an admirable effort to keep the bitterness from his voice: "The desert is quite large, young Miss Krisha. I'm sure your parents would not want us to take any unnecessary risks."

The grumbling passenger in the middle compartment only rolled her eyes. "My parents paid you to get me to Ketra sometime before I die of old age!"

A more than slightly irritated expression was passed from one member of the caravan to the next, unnoticed by Picas. They had all been passing the miles in silence for many an hour, their shoulders showing an ever greater tenseness as the girls complaints increased.

Some time passed before anyone spoke again. As usual, it was Picas who broke the silence. "Couldn't you have at least put a roof on this thing! I'm going to melt. If you hadn't been the only caravan departing North for months I'm sure Mother would have found a more suitable method to transport me. Are you even breaking even? I swear this thing is going to crumble beneath us at any moment!"

The driver's left eye began to twitch noticeably.

"It's so hard to find good transportation these days! Everyone's going by ship. I would have too but sadly all the ships at port that weren't horribly overburdened with less desirables -such as yourselves- had departed."

The cart suddenly came to a grinding halt at a fierce pull on the reins. The driver got off the card and approached the back.

"We're wasting more time, why did we stop now!"

Without a reply, the gruff old man opened the latch on the cargo section of the cart and began to throw Picas' belongings on the sand in a less-than-careful manner.

"What are you doing??" she demanded in response, an edge of worry plain in her voice. "It's too early to camp! I demand you stop that at once!"

Another of the caravan's members opened the low wooden door on her side of the passenger bench. He said nothing, but his manner left no ambiguity on his reasoning.

The scowl that had been so solidly planted on her face over the last couple of days finally fled to be replaced by a stricken expression. "You... you can't do this! My parents paid for my travel. How dare you!"

By this time one of the caravan members was already thoughtfully expediting her departure... "No!" her voice was more of a squeak now. "I... I don't know how to survive in the desert!"

With a not-so-gentle shove the caravaneer sent her away from the wagon. The other members quickly piled in and it once more set off, this time at a noticeably quicker pace.

"Fine, I don't need your worthless wagon! I hope it rots out before you reach the mountains! I can do fine on my own you know, Mother didn't raise a coward!" Her eyes took in her bleak surroundings before turning back to the fleeing cart. "Wait!" she screamed, "You can't! You worthless... You forgot my clothes!"

A moment later her bag of clothes was dispensed by the very expedient method of air delivery. A grunt of surprise and protest escaped her as the bag flew into her face, knocking her backward onto the sand.

"Scum," she grumbled beneath a pile of escaped clothing.

For some time after she got up, she only stood and stared at the bleached sand around her, mind a blank, in shock at her predicament. After another bit of time she meticulously began to gather up her clothing and baggage, taking time to dust off the sand and organize it. With a self-satisfied plunk she then sat down on one of her bags to await what she was sure would come: another caravan. No one would leave me here in the desert like this, she thought. I'll just get another ride.

The hours passed and her water bag continued to get lighter. Once she almost passed
out from the heat. Slowly panic gripped her until she could no longer stand to just sit around doing nothing. "We've been traveling for days!" she thought aloud. "It can't be that much further to the edge." Taking another visual survey -though she had memorized the view- she finally decided on a direction. "That way is North," she decided, not letting the thought surface that she really had no idea.

She threw one bag over her shoulders and set off dragging the other two. It did not take many attempts at this method of travel for her to decide some of her items were not as essential as she had first thought...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Several hours later she trudged on under the merciless sun as it crept toward the horizon. The path which she had traveled was marked by the occasional pile of belongings she had discarded, exhaustion increasing her sense of detachment. She had a somewhat bulky frame, but a considerable amount of her bulk was muscle. When she was younger other kids would often tell her how she looked "more like a boy." However she wasn't "fat" either, and until that moment -crawling through the desert- she had never known the desire to lose weight as more than a passing fancy. Now however her remaining pack seemed an almost unbearable burden.

"I don't need those traitors! They'll be sorry they did that though, I'll find them!" Her continued grumbling had made the last few miles stretch by, even as an increasing panick threatened to take hold of her. She took a swig of air from her long-since emptied water skin. "Curse them all, Mother should have bought me passage on a ship! What was she thinking?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Several more hours later her walk had become more of a shambling motion reminiscent of an undead creature of some sort. "Yeah I know, I see it!" she squeaked with her cracked dry voice. "It's not real, you know its not. It'll vanish just like the others!"

After a silence she rolled her eyes, speaking once more to a nonexistent source. "Yes of course I'm going to check it out! I know, I know... It might be real this time."

Her eyes told her there was something ahead, something... green. Something strange happened this time around however: it did not vanish. She grew ever nearer to the source of the enchanting color and still it remained solid, even grew more detailed.

Eventually, one moment, it snapped into her mind what she had found. Her face bloomed and she shambled ahead in what was the closest thing to a run she could manage. Her eyes bulged as she noticed the pool. Had she a working voice at that time, she probably would have screamed in pure pleasure as she dipped her face and hands into the cool water.

She gorged herself on the water until her stomach and head both began to hurt and she thought she would either pass out or throw-up. Her mind not, at that moment, entirely able to discern reality from fantasy, she thought nothing of the shapes around her that would otherwise have caught her immediate attention.

Anonymous

The sound of the wind and familiar rustling of palm leaves flowed in again as Conlàed slowly regained consciousness again. His fingers dug in the wet sand beneath him and he felt his eyes were dry when he tried to open them. It hurt. But it was not the pain in his sockets that caused him to keep his eyes shut for just a few more moments. It was not the fatigue or the pain in his muscles. It was a sound. More than one. Sounds, noises that only humans could make. Immediately, Conlàed braced himself for whatever threat there might be when he opened his eyes, but the moment he flexed his muscles a white hot pain seared through his thigh, and in his throat a dark groan resounded. Conlàed planted his hands beneath him with a face drawn in pain and heaved himself on his knees, while opening his eyes finally. While they were still adjusting to the light, he managed to make out shapes, figures, of human proportions.

A woman (with a cat of some sorts?). A man, who I thought to be a mage, who had just fallen head-first in the pool and splashed my face with wonderfully refreshing water. And a second woman, probably still a girl, but she too was bent over the pool and drinking desperately like she was trying to drown herself from the inside. Conlàed shook his head several times and rubbed his eyes, but put his hands down again when he found he was merely rubbing sand in his eyes. I thought I was alone. All these people came here when I did?

He raised his eyebrows and then, with a shrug, let it go. It was not his concern. Conlàed studied the three figures more closely, and found that none of them looked like a desert inhabitant, not even like desert travellers. Actually, they all looked more like they had simply stepped out of a city and into a desert with one single step, without being able to go back where they came from. This puzzled him even more. He coughed softly, to get anyone's attention.
And third! I enjoyed all of your posts so far! That is a big plus, I tried this on a different forum but instantly got depressed over the lousy quality and imagination that people reacted with... so thanks! :D

Looking forward to your next posts :D

Oh, and sorry about the lateness... I've told Icarus already, but due to a notsopleasant familysituation and illness I've been a bit absent the last week or two... hope you can forgive me and are willing to jump in fully again with me! ^^

Anonymous

[OOC: OK Lyra, I've got my character profile up here.

While I'm busy using space in the forum on OOC chatter, well, here's the thing: I don't want to come off as demanding or anything, but according to the date on the last post it's been four days. With four of us in the game, posting at this rate, we would each only get about two posts in per month. Now of course I realize I had some trouble getting my first post up there so I'm aware I've been, if anything, part of the problem. But having said that, I promise I normally do check this board once to twice a day and post frequently and I will make sure to hold myself to that. I know it's not my thread, but if I may humbly propose: could we each make a commitment to try to keep the delay between posts as short as possible for the sake of keeping the game moving?

I'm sure you all have busy lives, all I'm saying is the more we're posting; the more fun we're all having. I would post again myself but there were a couple of people before me and I'm assuming we're doing the standard turn order thing? OK, I'm done. Thanks for putting up with a bit of griping on my part (would you believe me if I told you I was normally the quiet type?)]

Anonymous

[ooc: I commit myself to that promise, Icarus. I agree with you. Who's next? ^^]

Anonymous

[OOC: *crickets chirping* I think they may have jumped ship on us Juno.]

Anonymous

OOC: I suggest that if no one else but Icarus and me have posted in the coming 5 days, we continue the thread without Spades, AuroraWriter and Mdu. Nothing personal, but even I don't like waiting this long...

Anonymous

[OOC: *Sigh* Well, no one seems to be home. If I'm reading my calendar right it's been five days as you suggested so since no one else has posted shall I just go ahead and post and the two of us can go on until someone else returns/joins?]

Anonymous

[OOC: Yep... It's a shame, but I think it's no use waiting anymore. So go ahead, I'm curious for your next post! ^^]

Anonymous

Picas inhaled water from the precious pool until dark spots began to dance across her vision and she felt light-headed. Then, finally, she could make herself stop. A human body as deprived of water as hers was did not recover instantly however, and she still felt the blurred perception of reality the desert had so cruelly instilled in her.

If it was that or simply the extreme contrast of the scene around her she could not say, but everything she looked at seemed surreal. Before her lay the pool of water, its underground source a bringer of life not only for herself but for the surrounding trees and meager undergrowth. Yet only just beyond the trees a vast ocean of unending, unforgiving, burning sand stretched out before them. The light quivered near its surface as if even the rays of light were repelled by the landscape's harshness.

Staring into the pool, she looked absently at her own reflection for a brief moment before a sound distracted her. It might have been a cough, or someone clearing their throat.

"Don't you ever shut-up?" she replied sharply. The remark was not directed at any real person, but rather it was a continuation of the dialog she had been having with the empty desert as the effects of prolonged dehydration had set in. Her follow-up was cut short when she looked up to see a strange face on the other side of the pool.

It was a man, and she was immediately struck by how real he appeared, not like the many illusions that had plagued her recent hours. She could not help but notice his ragged appearance, for not only did he look as though he had been wandering through the open desert for at least as long as she had, but his clothes were even torn and stained with blood in places as though he had been in a fight and not come out of it unscathed.

Yet despite his ragged outer appearance the man was well-built. He seemed to Picas as though he were some warrior barbarian who had walked into the oasis right out of some work of fairy-tail or fantasy. He emanated strength not only by appearance, but from his eyes. Immediately following the thought that the man was rather handsome came a wave of fear as the fog in her mind abruptly began to clear.

She gasped aloud suddenly and her eyes became wide. "You... you're real! You're one of those desert people too aren't you?" With obvious effort she tried to sound casual and confident. "Not that I care. Desert people don't scare me any, quick on my feet as I am." She tried to rise to her feet as she said that, but her legs were still too weak to hold her weight and her rise turned into an awkward, face-first dive into the pool before her.

[OOC: On a side note, I could not find any character sheet for Conlaed either. That's no problem, it's just that as a result I'm lacking some details on his appearance so I tried to generalize based on assumptions I made from your previous posts. If I made any errors I appologize. Also, I'm lacking any details on our surroundings. How large is the oasis and is there anything but desert we can see outside it? Just wondering so I have more information for my posts. Anyhow, so glad the game is rolling once more! Looking forward to your next post. Thanks!]

Anonymous

((Hey guys, can I join in? I originally said I would, but then lost track of this thread! And right now, I am completely free so I would be able to post daily ^.^))

Anonymous

Hey there Nightshade! Glad to have someone interested in the thread. It's not actually my thread, or I would happily say welcome!

The actual creator of this thread seems to have long since abandoned me, as did all of the other would-be members before her. In fact it's been almost a month since I've heard from Lyra.

In the event that Lyra proves unresponsive to your post as well, would you be interested in perhaps starting our own thread? I have been looking for quite some time for someone who would actually be willing and able to post almost -if not every- day. Just tossing that out there if you're interested.

Anonymous

OK, I will wait to see if Lyra will come back or not, but in the meantime, I'd love to do our own thread!

What kind of things are you thinking?

Anonymous

Yikes, sorry about that. Figures I would just talk about how I'm looking for someone who posts often and then get sick. *glares out window, Spirit of Winter returns an evil smile*

Err, well anyhow. I'm embarrassed to say that despite all the laying around being lazy I've been doing the last few days I have failed to come up with any good plot ideas for a thread. I'll keep thinking, but if you have any good ideas feel free to throw them in! Truth is I guess I'm better at playing within a story than thinking one up.