Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Picnic Interrupted

Started by Anonymous, March 19, 2005, 04:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

"Dammit, Sky, not again!  Give me that knife!" she said as she grabbed the pointed object.  "Can't you ever just not do that?"  She stashed it in a pocket of her blue and gold cloak, mumbling, "It was supposed to be for the sandwiches...  Now I have to clean it off first."  Celcia looked over the beat up area once more.  Sky had wanted to go on a picnic, and for some reason had decided on this place.  There were two craters nearby, one larger which looked like the grass had been blown right out of the ground, and the other smaller and looking like a boulder had fallen there from a great height.  She pulled the knife back out and held her other hand over it.  A chanted word, "restore," and she pointed at Sky's arm.  The blood flew off the knife and back into the dotted line gashes that Sky even now admired.  The wounds sealed back up without a trace of ever being there.
The angel sat and pulled out some bread, utilizing the knife the way it was meant to be.  She completely ignored the looks that Sky was probably giving her and sliced the bread, then moved on to the meat and cheese.  Shortly, she supplied a fully furnished sandwich, which she placed in front of Sky.  She brought her own up to her mouth and took a big bite of it.  Her other hand cradled the knife in her pocket.  She'd need it again to peel the oranges and would prefer not to use her spell again so soon.  Not that she hadn't done it before.  Despite herself, she sighed around her chewing and closed her eyes.

Anonymous

The knife was yanked from the Kitsun girl's grasp as she was mutilating her skin again.  She jerked forward in an attempt to snatch it back, but missed and then it was pocketed.  Sighing, she leaned back with a small frown on her face and went back to staring at her pretty and decorative cuts.  It was Celcia's mistake to bring a knife in the first place, she thought, oogling herself, and thinking of what other patterns could be added. She was a small young lady about eighteen years of age with very tan skin and albino white hair and red eyes.  She had matching white wolf ears and three wolf tails distinguished her five foot three petite form.  She loved to draw on herself and was clueless to see why Celcia had such a problem with it.  With another sigh, Sky turned her attention toward those concussive craterings forcing the earth to bend and crack into rubble.  They were interesting and there was something unusually familiar about them.  It was as if an aura lingered about this area that she knew well, or she felt she did.  Distracted by the landscape, her over pierced wolf ears twitched, causing all her earrings to jungle, and her gaze snapped back to Cel as she heard those hated words 'restore'.  Even as she pulled her arm away, it was no use.  She knew it didn’t matter and that the spell would take effect, but it was reflex.  She hated when Cel did that.  Always erasing her beloved artwork.  With that action, she glare-pouted at Celcia, holding her freshly healed arm and rubbing at her skin where the slices used to be.  Her ears fell flat back defensively as small and cute growl escaped her throat.  It was very unthreatening, but she tried.  Another sigh let out, realizing Cel was ignoring her and her ears released and flickered with more jingling.  Her eyes trailed down to the sandwich placed before her and she relaxed, picking it up.  She inhaled the fresh scent and took a bite, looking away from Cel and back at the destroyed ground.  She finished chewing and swallowed, giving a mumbled apology before taking another bite.  She had no idea why she was saying sorry, but she knew it made Cel feel better.

Anonymous

"Hmph, 'sorry.'  I'll believe that the day you stop.  I swear, you'd carve off your fingers if you thought it'd be 'artistic.'  And don't even think to joke with me about considering it."  She hadn't finished her sandwich, but felt like damaging something, so pulled out the knife again and an orange.  Slipping the tip under the rind, she expertly carved a line around the top and spiraled down.  Replacing the knife in her clothing, she peeled the skin off of the remarkably unscathed flesh beneath.  Tearing a sliver free, she popped it in her mouth before grabbing her sandwich again.
Obviously moody, she pronounced to her charge, "Let me know when you're ready for some fruit."

Anonymous

After Cel brought it up, she thought about it, but not jokingly.  She removed one hand from her sandwich and stared at her fingers as she twirled her hand around.  Already she was getting ideas about how to draw on her fingers.  She had to use them to draw so would she be able to draw on them?  She was interested by this challenge and pondered it a bit.  Fruit?...huh...wha?  She shook her head, snapping out of her daze as she expected to get yelled at.  She looked over at Celcia and stared at the orange.  Hmmm...cut  orange...  That knife had to cut that...  Her eyes deviated from the fruit and stared at that pocket which held the knife.  She pouted again, but it was a guilty pout, knowing Cel was mad at her.  "Y-yes please..." she paused, making eye contact with Cel to keep her attention away from her artistic nature.  "...I-I'll have some fruit please..." she mumbled, trying not to look at her pocket.  But every so often, her yes glanced at it, eager to draw...design...create...

Anonymous

She almost wasn't surprised when Sky began eyeing her hands.  Frustrated, she sighed heavily.  She almost didn't catch her timid reply.  Shaking her head, she repeated her orange peeling ritual.  Celcia watched Sky all the while, seeing how down she looked now.  She knew it was probably more from getting her "art" erased than from once again disappointing Celcia, but she still held a motherly kind of attitude toward the girl.  She sighed again and spoke, "Cheer up, already.  You can't mope around when it was your idea to go on a picnic.  The smallest favor you could do for both of us is to just forget about gouging yourself long enough to enjoy a simple meal."  She pulled the single spiraled peel from the fruit and handed Sky the result.  "Have an orange."  She pushed another slice between her own teeth and picked up her sandwich again.

Anonymous

Sky smiled for Cel, gazing back up at her face.  "I know.  And I'm sorry."  She replied, her smile natural and not forced.  She tried to ignore her cravings and took the peeled orange from Celcia.  "Thank you." If there was one thing she learned from Celcia, it was manners and a polite tongue, most of the time, anyway.  She stared at the landmarks again and pondered.  "So what do you think they are?" she mumbled softly before sucking on an orange slice.  She suckled on it a bit and then ate it.  "I get this weird feeling from them.  It's sort of creepy, actually." She confessed to Cel, her eyes shifting over to her for a response.  "It's like I know it...like it's familiar to me...like I'm apart of it..." her eye wandered back over to it.  She tore off another slice and suckled on it.  When finished with that one, she took another bite of her sandwich and sighed.

Anonymous

"Explain to me again why he's coming along," the green-skinned man jerked a thumb unseen to the general direction of the human sitting in the mobile suit behind him.

"Cuz he’s a jerk, and he's bored," replied the winged one over the closed circuit intercom.  "It's not like I care anyway.  Kris employed me to find her husband, and I'm obliged to do so.  Tag-alongs are the least of my concerns."  Zlaktaa checked his own suit for the interesting trip ahead.  "You sure this thing can get us to Li?"

Mewkoe rolled his eyes, once again without the benefit of being seen, "It got me back from Neo, didn't it?  I've made improvements since then.  I already have a lock on his position.  The rift he left through was natural and hasn't quite faded from the basic scanners yet.  My gate projector should work fine."

A voice interrupted from a different circuit.  Still, no one bothered to open a video line, "Are we leaving yet, or what?  I'm not getting any younger, and for all we know, Li's not getting any older.  Let's drag his carcass back home so I can see Kris kick him around for being reckless again.  Maybe she'll let me join her," Logan's smirk was almost audible.

The AI from the red mobile suit Mewkoe currently piloted interjected, "Regardless of what will happen to him later, we have to retrieve him from unknown conditions now.  It would be in our best interest to hurry this mission along."  The deep voice proclaimed over the open intercom, "My dimensional gate projector will work and is the most practical tool to get us to Li's location.  If it were not, you would not have called us."

"Quite right, Dynamo.  After I lost contact with Li's watch, I investigated the area he was last, here namely, and gave you and Mewkoe a call once I thought I had deduced the reason for his disappearance.  I alerted Mrs. Makswel shortly after."  The calm voice ticked off the previous day's events mechanically, "Now it is just a matter of bridging the divide that the Neo-en have so readily mapped to bring him back.  Dimensional travel is truly their forte, and without them, this excursion may have been much more distressing."

Logan occupied the cockpit of the most recent speaker and grunted, "Whatever, let's just go already.  I don't want to be cooped up in this stomping blue motor mouth any longer than I have to."

"I could easily oblige that request…" Vernious referred to his interim pilot without a trace of bitterness in his voice before he was interrupted by a small female voice that ushered from the green mobile suit.

"I hope he's all right," she sighed electronically.

Another voice, this one male, came from the same mobile suit and sought to reassure the normally cheery AI, "He'll be fine, Tiamat.  Li can take care of himself."

"He also still has a knack for getting on people's nerves, Taklaaz, which is why the sooner we get going, the better.  There's no sense in risking him pissing some strangely powerful resident from whatever world he managed to get himself marooned on," said Zlaktaa.

"All right!  I hear ya, already!  Dynamo, keep that lock on Li and boot the gate projector.  We'll ride his own wormhole straight to him," Mewkoe instructed.  Without a word, the mobile suit carried out his orders.  A beam of light spread outward from the crystal in the giant mech's chest and stopped in mid air.  It seemed some great flashlight that illuminated a vortex of swirling energy that led to the unknown.  Dynamo ushered the other two suits to enter the portal.  After they had stepped through, he entered himself, leaving behind Li's personal junk yard.

The tunnel through reality stretched out before them, Tiamat, then Vernious, and Dynamo.  At the very end, a light could be seen.  Around the halfway point, Tiamat alerted them to a minor problem, "Um, I'm not sure how to explain this, but I appear to be shrinking."

"What?� Zlaktaa looked around the cockpit.

"She is not the only one," said Vernious.  "I, too, am becoming smaller the closer we get to the end of this tunnel.  If it continues at this rate, I would suggest that all pilots disembark immediately."  As if to demonstrate his point, Vernious's chest split open at the bottom, and the cockpit door opened.  Tiamat and Dynamo did the same.

"You can't be serious," Logan grumped.  "We have to get out?"

"Yes, I would prefer to keep my cockpit free of pulped human," Vernious said.  Zlaktaa and Mewkoe had already started to climb out.  It was then that they were all grabbed by a lateral gravity.  They were being sucked more quickly toward the light at the end of the tunnel.  As they traveled, it started to become very obvious that the mobile suits were becoming very much smaller.  By the time they reached the end, they had shrunk from about ten stories tall to ten feet tall.  They appeared several hundred feet in the air.  The mobile suits grabbed their pilots and used rocket power to land on the ground, except Tiamat, who simply floated, and Zlaktaa, who spread his wings and glided down with the aid of an enchanted wind.  Once there, they took in the surroundings, including the craters they'd landed in and the picnickers sitting nearby.  Logan struggled free of Vernious's grasp, and Dynamo set Mewkoe down civilly.

"What the hell happened?" Logan drilled his ride down.

The mobile suits, now nothing more than robots, looked at each other.  Vernious shook his head, "I did not foresee this outcome."

"I feel so tiny," Tiamat chirped.  "It's kind of neat!"  She still towered over the flesh beings among her.

Taklaaz's voice followed hers from the same speaker, "Something about the magic of this world is different.  Herculium is a highly magical metal.  It must have reacted with this world's physics to yield this."  Tiamat's arm waved out to indicate all of the mechs' problem.  "We'll probably return to normal when we return to our own world."

"Systems are still functioning normally, Dynamo?"  Mewkoe looked to his customary mode of transportation.

"Nothing is abnormal apart from the obvious."

"So do you still have a lock on Li's watch?"

"He's in that direction," the robot pointed toward a village in the distance.

"Then that's where we're heading," Zlaktaa announced.

Anonymous

Celcia felt it before she noticed anything physical.  A familiar feeling, one she hadn't felt for many many years.  Flashing light and dull, booming thunder drew her eyes skyward.  There appeared figures in the air, and to her astonishment, they slowly floated to the ground, directly over the craters.  They were maybe 30 yards away from the newcomers, three of them being very tall.  She could hear them conversing, but not the words.  The big red one pointed to Serendipity Village, and they all started walking toward it.  The angel was speechless.  She was frozen with indecision.  All she could do was look over at Sky with a wide-eyed look of surprise.

Anonymous

Sky's body suddenly spazed at the arrival.  She gasped, staring over at the newcomers in the distance.  That familiar feeling had struck again, and this time, it was much stronger.  Her vision zoomed to identify the people, glancing to each one carefully.  Out of the six, the two winged creatures caught her eye the most.  The razor sharp mechanical one was just so beautiful.  It looked so swift and...sharp...  Then the other one.  Were they related in some way?  The dragon man, too, had the same swift and cutting features as the mecha, drawing her curiosity further.  And the feeling that she knew them made her heart race in her chest.  With no warning she dropped her sandwich and fruit on her napkin and jumped to her feet.  Her gaze was surprised and filled with yearning.  She watched them head off toward the village and a sudden thought hit her mind.  She then dashed after them with true Kitsun speed and agility.  "Wait!" she yelled, coming up from the distance.  "Please!"

Blowing off his argument with the blue mech, Logan marched off with irritation.  He then heard the voice in the distance and he looked over.  "Hey, are you sure Dyno-tard got us in the right place?" he sighed with a frown.  "Cuz I see a Kitsun...and she looks very eager to see us..." he then glared at the red mech suspiciously.  

"He is technically correct.  That appears to be a Kitsun female." The blue mech replied surely.  "And there is another.  But not a Kitsun from what I see.  They appear to be having a picnic."

Anonymous

"None of our concern," Zlaktaa said without turning his head.  A snaking head extended from one of Tiamat's legs to peer backward at the shouting figure.  She stopped, and everyone else passed her.  "Don't bother, Tiamat.  We've got a mission.  I'm not a taxi, and the longer we take doesn't up my rate.  The only thing taking longer will do is decrease the number of missions I could have taken while I was gone."

Tiamat flipped her hand at him to dismiss his comment.  "It's not like I can't catch up."  She turned and addressed the girl, "Is there anything you need help with?"  Dynamo, Mewkoe, and Zlaktaa walked off toward the village.

Mewkoe spared the girl a glance before turning to Zlaktaa, "She certainly looks like a Kitsun, but there could be any number of alternate dimensions that share similar races with our own."

"More than you might expect in this plane," remarked Dynamo.  "I'm getting very strange readings from this world.  The fabric of reality is weaker here.  I'll send some information to Mewkoe, and maybe he can explain it better."

Mewkoe pulled out his personal data pad.  Dynamo's readings flashed on the screen.  He scanned it as they walked until his eyes widened.  "I think I can explain why Li came here of all places."  He paused for effect, but got no reaction.  Silly of him to expect any with the current company.  He rolled his eyes, "This world has a very unstable dimensional barrier.  If anyone were to travel between dimensions without a specific destination, this is probably where they would wind up.  Not only that, there are all kinds of residual traces of wormholes.  This means that it's most likely that there are many instances of random transfers from other planes.  That's probably how Li got here: pure fluke."

"Facinating.  That doesn't help us get him back much.  All it lets us know is that it could happen again.  Let's just go."

Mewkoe sighed at Zlaktaa's defeatest statement, "Spoil sport..."

Anonymous

Sky caught up to the sharp and pretty mech, somewhat out of breath and panted a little.  "Yes...wait...please..." she continued through her panting.  After catching her breath she stared up at the mech in awe.  "I...I know you guys...from...somewhere...I know it..." she tried to explain.  "Please...don leave yet...I-I wanna talk...  I-I'm Sky...Sky Manako..." she introduced, hoping to get some form of reaction to her liking.  

Logan marched on over with crossed arms and quirked a brow.  "What's goin on here now?  What the hell does she want? There's no dogs here to sniff." he complained like usual.  

Sky frowned at him and her ears tipped back a little.  

The large blue mech then came up behind Logan.  "Yes?" he asked.  "Is there something we can help you with?" he offered politely.  He noticed her dismal face and turned to Logan, giving him a swift smack to the back of his head.  "What did you say to her?" he asked defensively.

Logan yelled and rubbed the back of his head violently.  He glared up at Vernious with destruction in his eyes.  "I haven't done anything yet!" he snapped.  "And buy the way dumbshit...just because yer smaller doesn’t make yer METAL hand less hard!"

Anonymous

Still not sure what to do in the strange situation, Celcia could only chase after her quickly departing charge.  The blanket and food were left behind in favor of the Kitsun's curiosity and Celcia's need to keep her out of trouble.  She came up behind Sky without a hint of panting and listened carefully to the conversation.  The two robots seemed friendly enough, but their human companion was very rude, and obviously in some kind of mood.  She refrained from introducing herself, staying on the side of caution in the unexpected situation.

Anonymous

The dark green mech twisted her foot into the ground nervously and clasped her fingers together.  Tiamat released the momentary grip and put a hand to her forehead, "I'm sorry, but you must be mistaken.  I have a flawless memory, and I've never seen you before.  Also, I couldn't see how.  We only just arrived here."  She looked up at Logan's protest.

Taklaaz's voice chided, "Really, Vernious, I don't know where you could have picked up such a violent habit.  You're not letting your interim pilot rub off on you already, are you?"  He chuckled and continued, "I mean, you haven't been 'human size' for more than 10 minutes, and you're already using their mannerisms."

Tiamat turned to the approaching winged being.  "Who might you be?" she asked.

Anonymous

Vernious turned his attention over to Tiamat, tilting his head as if he had just realized that himself.  "Oh!  Oh my." He held out his hands and looked at his palms.  "Hmmm...yes...it seems I should watch myself.  That would be a very bad habit to take up." He lowered his hands to his sides and looked down at the girl.  He paused, processing what she had just said while he was away and relayed it to himself.  "My apologies miss Sky.  Your information does not show in my database."

Hearing that, Sky lowered her head dismally.  "I-I see..."  She replied sadly, her eyes veering off as she thought about what he said.  

Logan finished rubbing his head and muttered to himself as he stepped away from the blue mech, glaring at him.  His eyes then found their way back to the Kitsun as she replied to Vernious and he crossed his arms.  "Infermation?  What does she want?" he grumbled, making a slight attempt to behave just a little.  "And why does she assume we know something about her?" he questioned suspiciously, glaring at her.  

Sky watched him as he spoke, frowning in return.  "W-whats yer problem anyway...?" she replied hesitantly.  How could someone be so rude?  What did she do to him anyway?

Anonymous

A green and black head pointed Celcia's way.  She opted for the more polite response to the (woman?)'s question by introducing Sky again.  "I am Celcia, and this is my charge, Sky.  I apologize if we're bothering you at all."  Frankly, the angel didn't know what else to say.  A passive, listening position would be the best course of action at this point.

Anonymous

With the tone in the robot's voice, one could almost see a smile in place of the face plate, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Celcia, Sky."  Tiamat looked between the natives.  "Don't worry about it at all.  You're not too much of a bother," she giggled.  "I am Tiamat.  I'm sorry if I couldn't be of much help.  Is there anything else you need?"

The male voice followed quickly, "I'm Taklaaz, and don't mind her, she's just kidding.  It's no bother at all.  I hope the fact that we have the same body doesn't confuse you too much.  We just tell people they'll get used to it eventually.  Also, don't let Logan get to you.  He's an ass like that to everyone."  He laughed before nudging Vernious with an elbow.

Anonymous

"Thank you...  It's very nice to meet you too."  Sky smiled a little with a hint of disappointment.  She tried to keep a cheerful attitude toward Tiamat's playful joke, but she was still bothered by logan.  "A-anything else??  Um..."  She was cut off by a second voice and blinked in surprise.  She listened to him closely, smiling hesitantly.  "Heh...Y-yeah..." she spoke in agreement.  

Vernious chuckled lightly, looking over at Tiamat while Logan looked like he could cook an egg on his head right about now.  

"Um...well...I kinda don wanna let you guys leave...  I-I know I may sound stupid, but theres something wrong... and I don know what..."  Sky paused, completely unprepared about what she wanted to say and ask.  

Logan grumbled angrily at the two.  "Don make me kick yer asses!" he growled deeply.  He then turned to Celcia and then back to Sky.    "Now what?  This yer nanny?  So what the hell?" he argued, completely ignoring Sky's interaction.

Vernious lowered his head and shook it as he sighed.  By the sound of his voice, you could see the frustration.  "Leave her alone."  He stepped in.  "She is right.  You are out of line, Logan."  He turned to the Kitsun and knelt down.  "I must apologize for his unnecessary behavior." He placed his hands on the girl's shoulders so gently for such a rigid machine.  

Sky shrank back at Logan's attitude and then the Blue mech came before her.  She blinked curiously up at him as he knelt for her and attempted to comfort her.  She glanced down at his hands and then up at his unusual human-like, masked face.  He apologized for the rude one and her ears lowered.  "Uh...th-thank you..." she replied, distracted by the close up features of this machine.  She examined him curiously, reaching out to feel his arm and then stretching out to touch his face.  Wow...so strange...so beautiful...

Anonymous

The green mech moved like a person would if they were to blink in surprise.  Tiamat said, "Beautiful?"

Taklaaz spoke, "Well, we kind of need to be getting along, now.  We have places to be before we leave.  There probably wouldn't be any harm if you followed us until then.  Maybe you'll figure out what's wrong if you stick around."

"That would probably be the best option," Tiamat said, "so I'll see if I can get a lock on Dynamo."  She paused a moment before pointing the same general direction that Zlaktaa, Mewkoe, and the red mech had gone before.  "I guess we'll be off, now, if that's okay with you, Celcia?"

Anonymous

"I don't see any problems with that.  You go ahead, Sky.  I'll pack up our picnic stuff and catch up to you later."  The angel turned and walked back to the tablecloth set out on the grass.  Tiamat and Taklaaz seemed nice enough, and Vernious was probably okay, and she was confident that she could leave Sky alone for a bit with them, even if that Logan character was around.

Anonymous

"R-really??  Can I?" Sky asked eagerly after half way examining Vernious's face.  She politely leaned to see past the blue mech to see the green one she was speaking to.  After the second voice of Tiamat spoke, Sky quickly turned to Celcia with the look of 'Please' and was delighted when she said it was okay.  

"All right then." Vernious confirmed, standing up beside Sky letting her go just as gently as when he grabbed her.  "Do not worry.  We will ensure her safety." He reassured Celcia.  "But yes.  We should be on our way.  The sooner we accomplish our goal, the better."  Vernious then looked down at Sky again.  "And do not be afraid to speak up if you'd like something.  We would all be most happy to see that your journey with us is most pleasant." He spoke kindly.  "Shall we be off then?"

Logan was being ignored and grinded his teeth.  He decided to let it go for now and just be quiet.  The only reason he came in the first place was because Li is family.  And if Li was gunna get killed, he'd be the one to do it.  

Sky then stepped away from the blue mech and gave Celcia a hug before they were to leave.