Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fine Dining [Ric]

Started by Anonymous, February 15, 2009, 08:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Cargan poured a bucket of water over the fire, which vanished; he suppressed a snort at the girl's question. He then turned away and began to help Bartholomew by packing up equipment into the caravan.

Galanus, however, seemed unfazed by the question. "I'm not married," he said simply after lowering his bowl. He reached up with a finger to pry a string of meat from in between his teeth. They remained as sharp fangs, his molars narrowing to points on both sides of the tooth. "What do tell your mother before you explore monster-infested forests alone?"

"Hey, you two. We're about ready. Swallow that stew and hop on." Bartholomew patted his horse, looking at the small caravan. It was quite simple; a long wooden cart was drawn by the two horses (two decreased the effort and therefore reduced the number of rests they needed) and was covered by a white cloth that stretched over wooden ribs as a roof. Cargan was already climbing into the driver's bench.

Anonymous

She became distant for a few seconds as if thinking back and then looked down, as if embarrassed she pulled the cover back up so they could not see her mouth while two side legs grew out from her jaw. Quietly cleaning her mouth from residue, now that he had started asking about parents, maybe she could play questions and answers with him. " I tell her what she wants to hear. Is it so much different with yours? Did you inherit your eating habits from your parents?"

She stewed her cloak into the chart. Sealing it shut with near invisible silver strings so anyone interested in its contents would have to go to great lengths to find an answer. She jumped up besides Cargan hoping her horse had taken the trip towards Ketra and not turned around running back the way they had travelled.

Anonymous

The caravan rocked as the thief mounted, and Cargan sighed. Maybe he had been hoping for better company. Not noticing, Galanus tossed his empty bowl to Bartholomew, who tossed it into the caravan before climbing inside. Galanus followed inside. With a crack of the reins, the entire cart shuddered, and slowly rolled forward.

From behind Cargan and Carol, a flap of the white cover pulled backwards, to show Galanus sitting quite contentedly on the floor. Pots, boxes, and other containers surrounded him, tied down to keep them from escaping. He seemed different in this time of day, the sun just barely now beginning to peek over the horizon in a flare of fiery light. His pale face gleamed like the moon, and the red tones seemed to dim his icy eyes, making them appear more regular. The wind brushed its hair away from his face, like a lover with care.

Finally, he answered her. "I have no parents to answer to. And.. yes. I was unfortunate to be born with this side effect. I simply consider myself lucky that I wasn't eaten by my father." He leaned against the side of the caravan, seeming at peace.

"And lucky you have us," pitched in Cargan lightly, chuckling to himself. Galanus only smiled.

Anonymous

She kept looking ahead keeping her eyes to herself. "Lucky? And what will you do once that stranger in the desert isn't so much of a stranger anymore?  
Will you bury them in the forest too?" She muttered harshly as jealousy gripped her. Even her own mother would have sold her off to the slavers if she had stopped bringing home money and food. Deep down people where animals living only for themselves and she was a perfect example of that.

She liked to think the intention of going solo had been a noble act of self sacrifice. He had shown her all to clear that it was just another excuse to leave them out because truth be told she just didn't have the guts to kill them once they became a liability.  
She let that lump in her throat die out as she fed the imaginable fire in her head once more. A thief was dark and silent. There was no room for tears and sobbing while robbing.

Anonymous

Gradually, the smile on Galanus' face shrank, and lines deepened in his forehead. "I get it. You see me as everyone else does: a monster. An abomination. One that ought to be put out of its misery for the benefit of others." He closed his eyes calmly. "That is a path I've considered before many times, Carol. And still do. But I have other obligations to keep."

He felt his heart closing itself off from Carol. Her responses made him feel unwilling to share, and instead cast up iron walls of protection from her blunt tone. He knew now the things he ought not to share; such as how he could still feel the spirit of the woman he devoured that previous night. How he could mentally brush his finger to hers and witness every love, every loss she had experienced. They usually vanished within the month, soaring off to some unknown plane- but he could still remember their touch. The frail old farmer two months previous; the hunter who had been hunted; and the soldier who had stumbled upon their camp, much like Carol did. All of them fingerprints seared into his memory.

A large, booted foot leaned over and rest on top of his ankle. He peeked open an eye. Bartholomew was focused on playing an old game that tried to tip a number of lead balls into small holes without falling out again. He was obviously listening though, but Galanus appreciated it. He was both amazed and comforted that the childhood friend had remained friend into adulthood. Bartholomew was his lifesaver, one of the few things keeping him from joining all of the men and women he had killed.

Anonymous

"You are not a monster." She had lost what initial enthusiasm they had started out with but the matter of fact was that she envied him a lot. "You're just ahead of the curve." She was tired of the game now.

Terribly inexperienced with talking to adults aside from lies told to her mother, innkeepers or the people she worked for she had no clue how to talk with this man so she decided there and then to just be frank and honest with him.

"I hate talking games. I always end up hurting people in them." She paused letting him sit there and sulk watching the game Bartholomew played, before she moved on. "Hey, cry baby. Since I know your secret, marry me."

Anonymous

Galanus chuckled, a gruff and very amused sound. "You were right, Bartholomew. Girls do catch men with nets." He grinned and folded his arms over his chest to trap in the warmth. With his eyes still closed, he seemed to be sleeping, drawing in air slowly and deeply. But he wasn't; he couldn't. The woman's spirit still trapped within him was more than distracting.

Cargan has laughed at the comment too. "If anyone, you should try showing yourself off to Bartholomew. Quite the ladies man, aren't you, eh?"

Bartholomew grunted, his eyebrows furrowed together in concentration. "Funny."

"He's been married four times," Cargan explained, nudging Carol in the side with his elbow. "Poor lasses, the lot of them."

"For being married to me, or-"

"That, yeah."

"Yeah, shut up."

Both Galanus and Cargan smirked. Bartholomew smiled grimly.

Anonymous

Carol was glad he hand not just bluntly said no. Her eyes widened as they all started joking about marriage. "Four times, are you kidding me?" How does that happen? How many children do you have?"

"I was serious you know! Don't go pretend your sleeping." Carol said looking over at Galanus. "Is he always like that?"

She had wrongfully thought of the duo as well paid friends that just fed the guy, keeping his secrets. She had better get to know them good if she was to stand a chance at conquering Galanus.

Anonymous

"Unfortunately, yes, he is always like that," mumbled Bartholomew. Galanus and Cargan both chuckled; the mood, as well as the sky, seemed to be getting brighter.

"Let's see... First wife died in that fire in town; I remember her, real nice lass. Second one married him just to get in the castle, she was a right jerk. Got 'accidentally' chopped up by the cook; not that anyone minded, mind you. Another one died right after the wedding, the last ran away. Probably would have died too though, knowing what a curse Bartholomew has with wives." Cargan shifted in his seat and turned around to look at the inside of the caravan. "Maybe you ought to go homosexual, Barty."

"Nice try, Cargan. I'm not interested in your fanatical sexual tendencies."

Cargan scowled light-heartedly and opened his mouth to say something, but his eyes stopped in the distance. Far behind the group, barely visible through the thinning trees, plumes of dust rose into the air. It must be a group riding horses, but it was impossible to tell from this distance. They'd take a while to reach the caravan, anyway. Still, Galanus noticed his gaze, and rewrapped his scarf to cover his mouth.

A little more serious, Cargan turned back around and watched Carol. "And you being the adventurous and very lady-like suitor must have guys lining up down the block." Sarcasm was implied here.

Anonymous

She felt obliged to repay the favour. "No this is my first adventure. I just do what I have to do to get by. One time a wizard caught me pick pocketing him, a rather sneaky spell on his purse that turned my face blue and my nose red." She blushed obviously embarrassed.

"Instead of the guards I managed to persuade him to let me be his assistant. The old man was just after my innocence so I made a bargain with him and then he left town a short while afterwards." She paused for a small bit, looking at what was approaching from behind

"After that I flirted with a wealthy merchant's son, but my habits ended up ruining any chance with him. She was angry now recalling the events that had lead up to her swift exit from Arca "Then the thieves guild said I couldn't join their ranks because I was female and doubly taxed my loot, literally telling me to quit or become a prostitute." She looked forward again the knot of sadness and loneliness a little bit lighter.

She felt good telling the truth for once, she didn't care about the money she had stolen from them now. Maybe if they asked she would give it back.

Anonymous

"Can't say I wouldn't mind prostitution," said Bartholomew, followed by a "Damn it!" as the caravan hit a bump, sending all the little balls on his toy out of their sockets. He sighed and restarted, whereas Galanus snorted.

Seeming to think a topic change was in order, he asked, "Why are you looking for your father? He didn't abandon you, did he?" At this question, Cargan's jaw tightened.

(OOC: Sorry it's so short, but I'm doing homework at the same time and I didn't want to leave you hanging.)

Anonymous

"Mom never told me anything about him except that he ran off to Ketra. I had to look into the monastery birth records to find his name. I hate him!" she said those last words in a cold, insectoid manner clenching her fists.

"Maah!" She yelped angrily "This wasn't how the conversation was supposed to turn out."  She paused letting the ice from the bottom of her heart sink again. She had spoken out of manner and forgotten what presence she was in. "You said you lived in a castle?" she asked hoping they had not listened to well to her harsh words.

Anonymous

"Sorry," Galanus apologized quickly, recognizing her anger at the mention of her father. At least hers might still be around. Pushing that dreary thought away, he changed the tone, clearly not wanting to upset Carol further.

"Yes, I did. It's currently under the care of my friend and cousin, though. It's.. not a very admirable place." He grimaced. "Maybe if you've been on the road for far too long, but to live in, it's dark and dreary. The grounds, though.. they were beautiful."

Bartholomew was gazing out the back of the caravan to the group of riders, gradually nearing. The trees around them had nearly entirely vanished, leaving them open to a wide plain of tall grass, cut only by a ribbon of dirt path. "Oi, guys. They look like soldiers, don't they?"

"You don't think they found that woman's body, do you?" Cargan frowned.

"It's.. possible. An animal or something may have dug her up. But it's not like they'd suspect- humans- of doing that to her, eh?"

Cargan shrugged, and Galanus merely stared at the riders for another moment before turning back to Carol. "Sorry. If they ask, you're going to be.. Cargan's sister." Which made sense; Cargan seemed to be the youngest of the group, and also shared a blond- though slightly darker- hair colour.

He seemed pleased. "Great. My other sister is a jerk."

Anonymous

"Can you see their emblems?" She asked Galanus, afraid they might be from Adela. "Great! Now I have a big brother I can look up to. That lectures me about morals and teaches me the way of life."

She smiled back at him. For a short while she could imagine it but the steady approach from their behind made her nervous so she sat there quietly and hoped for the best.

(OOc: sorry for being short, didnt want to rp the guards :P)

Anonymous

Cargan's smile dropped. "Oh, shoot.. I really could have used an older brother." He then laughed. Galanus, who had been watching the riders on and off since they appeared, suddenly swore loudly and sat upright.

Bartholomew saw it too, and his face tightened. One of the six riders held aloft a green banner, stitched with a silver crown encircled by seven stars- the top on the largest- that glimmered like the moon in light of the rising sun. They moved swiftly despite being covered head to toe in armour.

"Shit," Galanus whispered again, looking at Carol suddenly. "We've got to hide her."

"They'll know if she's hiding in one of the crates."

Galanus paused, then looked at Carol with an odd expression. "Do you think you could hang from the bottom of the caravan and not fall off?"

Anonymous

Carol rolled her eyes over, how had he guessed she would be able to do that? Urgency rushed her down there as she tossed him her boots and disappeared.

Elaborate webbing was spun to prevent her from falling should they hit another stone and six legs really helped as she nearly tore open the tunic.
Now half spider her legs had no problem finding cracks that helped sticking to the surface.

Now all she had to do was observe the ground and wait.

Anonymous

The caravan continued to roll along slowly and silently, the men aboard waiting for the riders to catch them. After several minutes, a yell came from the horsemen, and the caravan rolled to a halt.

Hooves approached, snapping like thunder on the ground before skidding to a halt behind the caravan. The men's armour jingled and clanked cheerfully in the early morning air. One of the men, the only one wearing a cape of royal purple, pulled his horse up beside Cargan and spoke.

"We are scouts of Lord Kalasir, to the west. We require that, upon entering his land, we search your caravan for any wanted criminals you may be smuggling."

The other five riders had halted at the rear of the caravan, peering into its open end. "Hullo, cousin," said Bartholomew with a yawn while nodding to one of the riders. The man, seeming friendly, nodded back.

At the front, Cargan smiled pleasantly to the leader. "Of course. Search away."

(OOC: D'you want to RP some/all of the riders? I don't want it to be my seven up against your one character. ;d)

Anonymous

Cocos heart was racing as the caravan stopped and most of the guards dismounted. Opting for more stealth she fully transformed herself, spinning her tunic and underwear tightly, sticking it down under the driver's seat with one of her dark insectoid legs.
Her eight eyes providing perfect vision should any of the guards try to look under the chart. Unfortunately the thrill was not big enough, she wanted more.
As one of the few guards who where still mounted approached the side of the chart, obviously intending to speak with Cargan, she quickly yet silently cut his saddle belt and re attached it with a small patchwork of silk that would corrode within the hour.

"Sorry for the inconvenience but we can't be too careful. There is a rumour going on about an Adelan scoundrel that made it big there, fleeing town for Ketra. She is supposedly quite the looker, dresses in all black to hide her face, made it out with the merchant guilds coffers."

She almost fainted. After all that precaution, a simple guardsman comes past and gives them all the missing puzzle pieces.

(ooc: so what do you think? XD)

Anonymous

(OOC: Awesome. XD)

At the comment, Cargan smiled pleasantly. So that's what we're transporting. With a reassuring smile, Cargan replied to the guard, "We'll let you know if we come across her- not likely, though. We're passing around Ketra; don't want to get distracted by the bars, if you know what I mean." Bartholomew rolled his eyes.

The leader of the group nodded slowly, seeming somewhat convinced. "Well. You know where to find us, should you find her." Galanus peeked his head out from the caravan, and the leader straightened as if he had been shoved back. "Ah. Lord Galanus. A pleasure to see you."

"Likewise," he replied softly. "How is your family?"

The rider stiffened, a sudden and unexplained anger flashing across his face. It lasted a mere second, though before he disguised the expression behind one of pleasantry. "They're doing well," he said, still seemed offended. "Well. Continue on." Galanus's appearance seemed to have hurried the men on their way, as they turned and began to canter back the way they had come, their leader rushing faster than them all.

Galanus stared after the group for a long moment, a sad expression in his eyes. "He still suspects me."

"It's not like he can prove you ate his wife. Which, you didn't, I'll remind you." Bartholomew moved towards the back of the caravan, and hung over the edge to peer under the cart. "Hey, Carol, you can- shit!" He caught sight of multiple hairy legs and beady eyes, and fell off the back of the caravan. "What the-?!"

Anonymous

A few moments with cursing and swearing where due as Carol came out from the back of the chart. she quickly got her clothes back on and quietly sat down next to Cargan red with embarrasement.

Hoping some of the mood from before was still present she turned to Cargan. "So, big brother. Are you going to lecture me about the sin of stealing from people with a lot of influence?"