Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fine Dining [Ric]

Started by Anonymous, February 15, 2009, 08:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Cargan stared at her blankly, clearly wondering as to why exactly she had been naked under the caravan, and why Bartholomew was now swearing loudly. Just after Carol finished speaking, Bartholomew appeared beside the two, visibly baffled for the first time.

"What- you- that was just- shit!"

"..What?"

"She was a bloody spider! A spider!"

Cargan blinked.

"..A spider!"

Galanus's head poked out from the caravan behind Cargan and Carol. "What happened?"

"Spider!"

"Ooooh." Galanus nodded, then looked at Carol. "Yes. He has a bit of a fear of spiders."

"No- Well, yes, I do, but- she was a spider! And I'm not lying!"

Galanus and Cargan glanced at one another- Cargan seeming skeptical and Galanus actually appearing to know what Bartholomew was ranting about. He reached back and pulled out a thick, sticky rope.

"Then that explains how you trapped me last night with your little creation here." He held out remnant of the web from the night previous, waiting for Carol's explaination.

Anonymous

Carol let loose a small giggle he was one of the only people that had seen her in that form and his reaction was priceless. Very much unlike the wizard she had traded with to get the ability. "It's awesome right? That wizard I talked about said I had the spark of magic within me but instead of becoming his apprentice, I dedicated the spark to avatar a spider. He had so much I could choose from but the spider seemed like the best for a profession like thievery."

The initial enthusiasm faded quickly as Galanus pulled out last nights silk thread, biting her tongue. "Its strength and glue capabilities is amazing." she said, hoping they wouldn't piece together the small hole in the tent fabric, their missing purse and her profession. The second she had thought that she regretted not speaking the whole truth in the first place.

She knew his secret. That he ate people, but he still didn't know that she had scouted them beforehand, taken and still had their money. If she was serious about marrying him she would have to come clean and see his reaction. They would either find it out eventually or she could tell them right now.
So she jumped into the caravan and snatched up her cloak. Folded it up and let them see the contents hidden within the fabric.
"With the money from the merchants coffers. I got the thieves guild, tailors to make me special clothing. This tunic and the cloak I hold here are the only expensive stuff I own. One that I could hide purses in without all the rustling of coins."

Sure as daylight she opened a hidden fold within the fabric and pulled out 5 purses, amongst them was the one she had taken from Galvanus. "I kind of kept myself busy on the way to Ketra." Greatly embarrassed and with a lack of more words she awaited their reactions.

Anonymous

Their reactions probably weren't the ones she was expecting.

First off, Galanus grinned and Bartholomew laughed while Cargan groaned.

Secondly, Cargan tossed Bartholomew a small but thick purse that jingled loudly.

Only after Cargan quieted, did Galanus explain. "Bartholomew here noticed the missing gold this morning before we woke you. After trying unsuccessfully to piece together who you were and where you came from, we placed a bet." He reached into his tunic and pulled out a similar small purse of coins, and tossed it to Bartholomew as well. "Of course, him, being the one who packed up the caravan earlier on, must have noticed the missing gold during his check and thrown a wild guess." Bartholomew nodded, pocketing the bags smugly.

"If it means anything, I bet you were a lost prostitute, running from the law," called Cargan over his shoulder. Bartholomew picked up a nearby carrot from a crate and threw it Cargan's way, hitting the other guard right on the back of the head. He objected with a loud 'Aye!' and quieted down.

Galanus continued, failing to mention his own bet. "But after that soldier visited, we now have not too many secrets from you, do we?" Grumbling at that remark, Bartholomew climbed back into the caravan which began to roll forward once again.

Cargan spoke up from the front. "Hey, girl. You could probably keep that money you nicked from us, aye? That's an achievement right there. Granted, you got caught, but still."

Galanus nodded. "Go ahead; keep it, Carol. As long as it keeps you out of trouble for a while, it's no real loss to us."

Anonymous

(ooc Much better post now ;) .)

Her heart ached with guilt, unwilling to speak because of the lump in her throat. Just breathing was hard now as tears threatened to form. She turned away from them not intending to let them see her cry as the chart started moving she fell down on wobbly legs unable to stay standing.  

There was a brief moment of sulking before loot was stuffed back inside the cloak and stowed away back under a crate.  "You said you where a thirsty man in the desert. Now you know what water I drink." Sitting there was comfortable enough so she let Cargan sit alone. "And what did you guess I was, Galanus?"

Anonymous

Galanus's smile was small, though his eyes showed no reflection of such smile. He watched Carol for a moment as the caravan bumped steadily up and down before responding.

"My bet was that you heard the woman's screams in the night, and tried to dash to her aid." He leaned his head back against the side of the caravan, closing his eyes again in attempt to gain a bit more rest before the sun beated down on them. "But I was obviously wrong."

"He likes to believe there's a little good in all of us," said Cargan cheerfully. "Bartholomew has brainwashed him into thinking that, anyway."

"It's true though," grumbled Bartholomew. He was brushing dirt away from his trousers with his hand after falling off the caravan. He kept a fair amount of distance between himself and Carol.

Anonymous

"I have another theory for you. Kindness is for the rich because the poor can't afford it." Something her mother used to say sometimes when the chips where down and the tax collector was knocking on the door.
"Speaking of law enforcement, do you think it would be safe in Ketra at all? The guards that questioned you knew my description somewhat. Its not accurate enough to be dangerous but its accurate enough to arouse suspicion at least."

There was something grim in the air, she didn't want to get arrested and judged to hang or be sold as a slave. "I don't want to sell my body just to survive, I tried it once to get these powers and it is degrading. It is not the way I want to live my life, I hope you at least understand that part."

Anonymous

Galanus chuckled at her theory. It was partially true, in a way, he admitted. "Of course I understand," he replied to her final comment, his voice a weary growl. "Why else would we let you keep that gold you stole from us? No woman, especially one so young as you, should be forced to surrender their body to the most vulgar of men." He felt pity swell from within, pity that she should have to go through so many trials and tribulations when he, a much less deserving person, should live an easier life. He pushed the thought away, not wanting it to reflect in his expression.

"And as for your worries.. You could wear a cloak, I'm positive we have one. Bartholomew?" Bartholomew glanced up, then began to dig through one of the crates that was filled with folded cloth. "I don't trust the common people to keep their mouths shut, should they recognize you; however, for guards and 'noblemen', I have my persuasive ways." He smiled crookedly, though it was hidden behind the scarf.

Bartholomew paused as his hand touched something in the crate, and then began to snigger. He pulled out a black cloak with a decorative gold trim and held it up. Galanus looked at it, a little confused. Bartholomew smirked, and explained.

"She can pretend to be his mistress." He jerked a thumb towards Cargan, who turned around, suspecting something.

"Huh? Wazzat?"

Bartholomew shook the cloak, and Cargan sniggered before returning his attention to the road.

"If you don't mind," said Galanus quickly. "Cargan isn't exactly new to the idea of having a mistress." Cargan laughed and pumped a fist into the air, prompting the other two men to roll their eyes.

Anonymous

They where going to help her now. She had practically done everything except from begging to get them on her side but that was that. Now she was curious to see their solutions?

Bartholomew pulled up a black cloak of finer qualities. But clothes alone wouldn't be enough, especially dark ones. They just made it more difficult because it fit the description of her.

She was confused now as Cargan laughed with his fist in the air. "What's a mistress? Do you mean like, a noblemans whore?"

Anonymous

Bartholomew and Galanus glanced at one another at her question, both of them grinning with supressed laughter. Finally, Galanus responded.

"Yes, something like that." He felt bad for printing this false identity upon Carol. She didn't need that sort of attention- though she might deserve it for stealing from so many people. "I hope you understand. We're affiliated with some of the guards around Ketra. They would know the truth if we tried to pass you off as one of our relatives." And we need to be able to leave her without explaination.

He didn't like the idea of leaving her, dumping her in the city, the young girl that she was. Sure, she had proven that she could care for herself; but it was only a matter of time before another group would catch her, and perhaps be less merciful. But he had an inkling that she had no desire to stay with them- the cannibal and his guards. Besides, she had other business, didn't she?

Anonymous

She thought about it for a short while. "I'm gonna have to lay low for a few years at the least."
She grabbed one of her small boobs in anger but the shock electrified her body. She helplessly let a small moan escape her mouth.

"Dang it! See now, how can I steal anything worthwhile and escape when my body behaves like this? I know why the thieves guild told me to seek out prostitution, I still don't need to like it."

It took her a few deep breaths to calm down, she wanted to hit something. Still feeling the aftershocks her face flushed red with embarrassment and anger, that determined look sprayed within all the red. "I want a more permanent solution, one you cant abandon without extreme care. I want one of your hands in marriage or you can eat me now."

Anonymous

Cargan turned around, and the three all looked at one another quickly. Then, as if having made a unanimous silent decision, they all looked at Carol.

"Cargan?"

"I could go for salty."

"Galanus?"

"Salty sounds fine."

"Okay." Bartholomew leaned back with a sly grin. "We can't eat you now, it's a little too bright outside. But if you still want, we can dance around your corpse in a bonfire and chant tribal hymns."

Both Galanus and Cargan laughed, before Galanus spoke. "First of all, it doesn't work like that. I don't just eat people. I'd be knawing on you like any regular human, and I can tell you now the smell makes me queasy."

Bartholomew raised his arms and rest them behind his head, watching the ceiling. "As to your problem: maybe you should buy a husband. That purse you stole from us should fetch a pretty handsome one."

Anonymous

"Oh Bother. I request to be spiced with curry. Well it was worth a try. I guess I can't have everything go my way."
She sighed and let the seriousness of the conversation calm her down and prevent her from not laughing.

"I can't buy a husband because I cant ensure that he will keep secrets." She pouted her mouth childishly. "I guess there will be other opportunities presenting themselves in Ketra. If everything fails I could join a circus."

Anonymous

"You'd better be flexible then, 'cause I hear of kids always snapping necks and breaking limbs, pushing themselves into the circus," said Cargan with a mischevious grin. "Or you could just tame a wild beast."

"Or pickpocket every juggler."

Bartholomew eyed Carol and said calmly, "I can't imagine someone such as yourself wanting to settle down. Especially one so young. How old are you, anyway? Barely old enough for marriage, I'd imagine."

He smirked, in a 'I-doubt-you-could-handle-the-pressure' kind of way. "You sure you'd want to give up stealing for plucking chickens and sewing clothes for your family? ..I'd think not."

"Unless she married someone like you," Galanus said with a strange grin. Bartholomew snorted and mumbled something inaudible under his breath.

Anonymous

"I was thinking more in line of the freak-show but you explain it in such a detailed manner that I think ill screw the idea on bolts and toss it into the ocean and for the record I'm sixteen."
She was on the defensive again knowing full well that there was little of importance left to keep from them and little reason not to tell the truth if asked anymore.

"I know I'm not wife material but what do I do? The thief's guild won't have me because I attract to much attention and I steal too large quantities to be safely sold off or some crap like that. Fucking adults"

She wanted to throw something to act out some aggression but had nothing, settling for knocking silently on the wooden caravan floor. "I just don't know what to do anymore, For all its worth at least I feel a tad bit safer with you than I ever would feel alone."

Anonymous

At her final comment, Galanus paused, then laughed sharply. As he did so, the scarf around his mouth drooped and fell out of place, revealing a row of sharp, pointed teeth. He didn't seem to mind, since no one here ought to be surprised by them. His laughing slowed eventually, and he watched Carol with sparkling blue eyes.

"Safer? With us?" he said, with some sort of sarcasm. "The cannibal-monster and his loyal guards. Had you met us a few years ago, you would have suffered a fate worse than death." At this, Cargan offered a weak smile without turning around. Bartholomew's eyes were cast downward before he turned his head away, gazing out the back of the open caravan.

A grim atmosphere seemed to sink its claws into the group, none of them looking toward Carol now. There was a long silence before Bartholomew spoke to break the spell.

"..A fate worse than death," he repeated in a low murmur. Guilt and rage flashed across his face before he turned further, hiding his face from view. At the front, Cargan gripped the reins tighter causing the leather to squeak, before giving a futile chuckle.

"Everyone has something they don't like about their past, eh?" said Cargan. "Most people.. It's tough, this life. No matter what status or class you are. Something's always going to bite you in the ass."

Anonymous

Carol looked at him rather curious, her stomach threatened to spill its contents onto the ground but she managed to keep it there. The scene she had ignored ran trough her like a memory flash.

"Yea but we didn't meet before that so there is no need to be an ass and remind me. As for the fate worse than death, how come you say its worse? You mean to say there is something you do other than eating them?"

Anonymous

Galanus sighed heavily through his nostrils, seeming weary at the memory- not his memory, though.

Cargan finally spoke when no one else would. "Everyone has something about their past that they heartily despise. Just think about it. Kidnapping young women, rendering them unconcious before bringing them to Galanus here. Not to mention it's a long road between cities.. So what do we do to them?"

"That's enough," said Bartholomew sharply, his tone gone sour. He still turned his face from view, as if it were a memory he could look away from and ignore.

Galanus watched Carol with grim eyes. "You should leave us when we reach Ketra."

Anonymous

Galanus sighed heavily through his nostrils, seeming weary at the memory- not his memory, though.

Cargan finally spoke when no one else would. "Everyone has something about their past that they heartily despise. Just think about it. Kidnapping young women, rendering them unconcious before bringing them to Galanus here. Not to mention it's a long road between cities.. So what do we do to them?"

"That's enough," said Bartholomew sharply, his tone gone sour. He still turned his face from view, as if it were a memory he could look away from and ignore.

Galanus watched Carol with grim eyes. "You should leave us when we reach Ketra."

Anonymous

Carol stared back at Galanus just in defiance. These guys had mood swings, not a stable environment and he would most likely eat her if he got hungry again if she gave them a chance at it.
"Aye. I appreciate the hospitality for as long as it lasts. Considering you have your way with the guards, anything in particular that comes in handy when dealing with them?"

She would not be the first to break this staring contest. "From what I could pick up before leaving home they say people in Ketra are pretty superstitious?"

Anonymous

Galanus breathed deeply once, as if inhaling his thoughts. "The majority of the guards are pretty stand-up blokes. Just be.." He hesitated, seeming doubtful of Carol's ability, before adding, "..polite."

Cargan smiled lightly at the remark.

"As long as you're with us, you might have people asking who you are. Maybe you ought to follow us a little bit from behind when walking through the streets?" Galanus was aware of at least twelve cousins, in-laws, and uncles of their small group of three that worked within Ketra- usually, if one member of a family was a soldier, the rest of the men followed in suit. As long as they could avoid most of the guards, they probably wouldn't be questioned, but Galanus wasn't willing to risk Carol's safety for his own carelessness.

"And yes, they are a superstitious lot. Very prone to gossip as well; all the more reason to be careful."