Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Spreading the Word. (open)

Started by Anonymous, March 02, 2009, 03:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Ghost was in her cat form. It seemed to be the safest form for crossing the dessert to the oasis town of Essyrn. She tried just crossing it in her normal form, but a small sandstorm had sprang up, nothing too huge but annoying. Her cat form had much more ease to travel through the whipping wind and sand. Though she was never so happy to get out of dessert and into a regular city.

She arrived at night and immediately searched for an inn after shifting back to her human form. She found a decent enough one and paid for keep for one night. She found the room, walked in, laid down, and quickly fell asleep. The morning sun shone through the window, slowly waking her up. Time to do some work. She sighed heavily as she got up and fixed her hair in the mirror. Sometimes she wished she didn't do what she did. Being a cleric was awesome, but having to spread the word of Anaisyn bothered her sometimes. It wasn't that she didn't want people to know of his love for them, it was the fact she was so absolutely shy. It was hard for her to speak to strangers, especially a group of them. Alas, this was the life she was called to.

She walked down to main floor of the inn and grabbed a bite to eat and drink before she went out. The streets were already bustling with people. Ghost heaved a big sigh as she looked for a place to set up at. The pack she had on her back didn't hold much, but what it held was essential for her. She walked a bit until she found a place where she would be allowed to set up and started about her business. Out of her pack she pulled a canteen of water, something she would need before too long. Then she pulled the necklace she wore out from under her toga. She said a quick prayer to Anaisyn as the pendent around her neck glowed a tiny bit. She felt a warmth build up in her belly, a sign that Anaisyn was with her and would give her strength. Finally feeling ready she began.

"Good people of Essyrn. Please hear me. There is someone who loves you very much and wishes the very best for you. He wishes to heal your wounds and your pains and he will if you only have the tiniest bit of faith in him. If you want to see for yourself the mighty healing power of the great god Anaisyn, please come and I will tell you everything."

Lion

He'd traveled too far and too wide to stop now.  Not that Hysaeda was on a pilgrimage, no, Ankuman never performed pilgrimages for they were the spiritual leaders of their specified villages and his father was there to occupy that charge of the Xelikuda camp in the Thunderblacks.  Instead, Heilrak encouraged his son to broaden his horizons.  "If you are to take my mantle successfully in my passing then you must know and experience more than what you've been confined to in this village.   You are a hunter; you know where the land will take you.  Follow its heartbeat, my son."

Though the latter was true, Hysaeda was a hunter for both pleasure and profit, he never went on excursions as long as his trek to the city of Essryn in the middle of the damn Moraki Desert.  And it was needless to say that the darkened skin of his Umbraeon heritage didn't help with the heat either.  Considering themselves the true Dark Elves of Le'ranna, and not the dastardly imitating demons known as the Drow, Umbraeons lived in relative solitude in the mountains of the Thunderblacks, accustomed to their own clan laws and not the rules of organized civilization.  But if a tribe wasn't an organized civilization, Hysaeda didn't know what was, for, when he entered a city, he saw nothing but a random hodge-podge of life, street rabble with no real purpose.  For all civilized life might construe Umbraeons as no more than barbaric savages, at least there was a sense of being in every breath they took.

Faith carried the steps of every ardent Umbraeon who held their connections to their creator Umbra, and it was with solemn strides that Hysaeda ventured toward the desert city.  Despite the fact that it was an oasis in the middle of the heat of hell, he didn't want to risk bringing an avirex into the heated lands.  Such reptilian creatures belonged to the forested lands of the Draconi and the edges of the mountains, where water was plentiful and plenty of small mammals to feed on.

Still, he passed through the gates without any relative obstruction and went to the trading stands of the city, following the commotion of prices and biddings being tossed back and forth by humans unwilling to settle on a decision.  Shaking his head in disapproval, he ventured forth toward a stand where he could find a man offering various bottled beverages and speaking quickly in a dialect of Common that was almost too quick for the Umbraeon's long ears to catch.  "Uh, yes," he repeated several times, pointing to a clear bottle.  "This one."  The vendor handed him the prescribed bottle of water, was paid and went about his business.

As Hysaeda walked away, he opened the bottle as quickly as possible and tossed the life giving liquid down his throat and soon he felt the rising heat doused by every droplet he consumed.  He drank sparingly and placed the rest of the bottle into the travel bag that hung across his shoulder.  The very skins he intended to sell made up the clothing that he wore, with loose durable and light deerskin pants with the hem fastened around his calves and a pair of boot-like sandals that were made for long treks.  On his torso hung the sleeveless bone-and-leather armor of standard hunter wear, light yet robust, flexible yet withstanding, and the sheath of his golden lightning bolt shaped scimitar, the weapon tucked away on his back.

Soon his path ventured to a strange white-clad orator that caught the attention of his Amber-red eyes.  It was a woman from what he could tell with his own eyes and seemed to summon listeners to her presence.  He approached with caution as was wont of him to do as if he was stalking prey in the forest and the words the tickled his ears were interesting ones at best.  He understood that this woman was not from this region, for her voice lacked the fast-paced dialect of the vendor.  Still, that did not stop his expression from becoming quirked as if in a curiously shocked mood.  Who in the world was Anaisyn?  Why does this prophet speak on about false deities? he thought with growing venom.  But he didn't voice his agitations; instead another in the crowd did it for him.

"Yea', and just who might you be?  I don't seen any Anaisyn here he'pin' me wit' me crops.  If he loves us so much, howcum I ain't never heard of 'im?  Get off the panel, we don't wanna hear this bullshit!" a man spat viciously at the female orator.  A few others joined in the tension and a clamor soon rose above the growing crowd.  Within a few moments, there was true dissent and a stone was sent flying through the air, aiming at her head but missing by a few micrometers.

Whoa, an hour into the city and already things were getting exciting.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Ghost expected to get the kind of reactions that she was receiving. She always got them no matter where she went. One would think she would have been use to it by now, but the meek woman would never get use to hearing such harsh words directed at her. At times she almost wanted to cry and give up because of the words and treatment she received. It was only through the will of Anaisyn that she kept going dry eyed. At first she had not been quick enough to dodge the various items thrown at her, but over time she had learned and could now dodge most of the bigger more dangerous items.

"Please, good people, violence is not the answer. Sir, if you do not wish to hear then you are free to go about your way." Ghost said in a very calm voice, though she did not feel calm. She placed a hand over her necklace, it always seemed to give her peace. "I am not here to anger anyone. I am here to help." At these words a raise of angry shouts erupted from the crowd. She couldn't even speak from all the yelling and cursing. 'This is hopeless. Why am I even doing this again? I'm probably the only one in the world who worships you Anaisyn. How do you expect me to do this?' She said to herself.

At that moment she noticed someone in the crowd, someone that was standing off to the side. It was an elderly woman dressed in filthy rags and from the skin Ghost could see, was suffering from a skin disease. If that was indication enough the way the crowd was staying away from her was a dead give away. 'Thank you Anaisyn.' She said when she realized that perhaps she might be able to turn this whole fiasco around. She took a very dangerous chance and walked into the angry crowd. Most of the people got out of her way, but a few blocked her path. After much struggle and a few pretty good hits, she made it to the elderly woman.

At first the woman didn't know that Ghost was coming for her, so when the Cleric stepped in front of her she tried backing away. "No, please don't. I can help you." Ghost said to her, taking her by the hand. The elderly lady's hand was more skeleton and rotting flesh than a living person's hand. Most would have found the woman disgusting, no better than dirt, but Ghost did not. She was use to helping the sick. The elderly woman was scared and bit reluctant, but Ghost managed to calm her down. With the crowd yelling at her all around her, Ghost closed her eyes as she held both the hands of the elderly woman. Softly she began to pray, "Please Anaisyn. Hear my prayer. Your child is sick and in need of your care. Please grant her the healing she deserves." As she was praying a soft light began to grow around their hands. Ghost could feel the life force being drawn out of her into the woman and it was starting to make her dizzy.

The whole process took only a few seconds, but when the light faded away from their hands there was a difference. The hands that where once rotted flesh festered was now clean and smooth. The old woman was shocked and thrilled. She threw off the rag of a cloak that had been wrapped around her body to stare in wonder at a body now free of disease. "Oh thank you!! Thank you!!" The woman screamed as she hugged an even more pale Ghost.

"Do not thank me. Thank Anaisyn. I am merely his vessel." She said in a very soft voice. Healing that woman had taken more energy than she had thought it would take. She almost felt faint, but managed to stay on her feet. A huge smile was plastered on her face though as the elderly woman rushed off, no doubt to hug family who she had been denied for years. Perhaps the crowd would treat her a bit differently now. At least she hoped they would, she did not have the strength to fight them off if they still chose to be aggressive.

Lion

He watched with professional calmness how the speaker reacted to the sudden displeasure of the crowd.  It seemed they didn't like the idea of having some religious fanatic impose their faith on them even if it was in a nonviolent fashion.  Though he disliked others who attempted to carry out that very thing, Hysaeda had a respect for the tenacity of the orator even in the face of the crowd's apparent temerity.  It seemed to play on something that was inherent within the basic nature of humans: the need to fear any and everything that was different than their own innate culture.  The same could be said of most people and while Umbraeons were a little more open-minded, they too had their prejudices.

Still the reactions of the crowd did not surprise Hysaeda and the grimace upon many of their faces was a sheer example that they didn't want their native faiths trampled on and suddenly replaced something as strange as this Anaisyn person.  For all they knew it was ever the possibility that this figure wouldn't 'love' them at all despite all claims made by the orator but seek, instead, to deliver them all to a hidden form of damnation.  It was not what they could plainly see before them that gave humans such fear but rather the unknown.

Even as the abrasion of the group against the woman rose to new heights as she approached an elderly woman with a grotesque skin disease that spread across her flesh as if it was eating her alive.  And with eyes wide, Hysaeda confirmed that it had for it what she had was an initially fatal form of Abbadath's Poison Breath, the Umbraeon terminology for the flesh-eating disease.  First it started as something as a sort of irremovable fungus then grew from there if it wasn't treated properly and quickly.  His years of training as an Ankuman apprentice allowed him to discern one sickness from another; aside from being spiritual leaders, Ankuman were skilled healers.

But what he saw emanate from the woman's hands as she grasped the hands of the elderly woman softly was far different than the healing methods he'd seen in the past.  Suddenly as the nigh inaudible whisper gently scraped against the heightened perception of his elongated ears, he now realized that this person, whoever she was, was the real deal.  No one he'd known, other than the superb skill of his father, had ever been able to perform such a thing without bearing true skill in the arts of healing.  Was she a mystic?  Could she known secrets of the higher plane of existence that he'd been blind too?  Or was she a mere wacko who'd spent too much time as a potions test subject?  The possibilities that manifested in his mind were endless, but one thing was for sure and that was that the growing hostility of the now quieted crowed was expanding in their faint utterances of words like, "I don't believe!"  "How could she do that?"  "She must be a witch!"

Panic swept through him as he recognized the murmurs were only a veiled sign that they just might attack this poor woman without due justice.  Now he surely had no taste for city life but he wasn't going to just standby and allow an innocent to be attacked by an angry mob, even if all she said was against his beliefs.  Despite whoever this Anaisyn was, he thought, she was damned lucky that someone benevolent enough was around to stop her from being stoned to death.

Hysaeda stepped avaunt of the crowd, ensuring that he placed himself between her and their seething rage.  With raised hands as a sign of peace, he said with an exuberant grin, "Alright, now.  That was quite an exhibition wasn't it?  Now please give our friend here a pleasant round of applause.  There's nothing left to see and now, my friend and I, we must go.  Perhaps we'll see you around later another time."  He laughed like a fool but cared little as the group slowly thinned and some stared stupidly at the Dark Elf as if he somehow had a connection to all this.

Nonetheless, Hysaeda nodded, placed his hands down and then turned to the woman as she rose on unsteady feet and looked even paler that she had to begin with.  Without thinking, he simply braced her gently by the arm and tugged while uttering, "Come with me.  You'll be safer if you do."  He cast a final glance back at the crowd and caught the severe displeasure of the man who'd been the first to speak and then, without reserve, turned in the opposite direction.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

That had been a stupid idea. Not only had she managed to enrage the crowd even more, but she had managed to make herself so weak she could barely walk. 'Why Anaisyn? I thought you wanted me to spread the word?' She asked her god. For the first time ever she got the barest whisper of an answer, 'Think of the woman....' At first she thought it was because she was so tired, but then she heard it again. So she did what it told her to, she thought of the woman. A warmth settled in her belly as she thought of how happy that elderly lady had been. At least she had made one person happy, but why would Anaisyn want her to make such a huge spectacle if all he was wanting her to do was heal one old woman? Ghost would never fully understand her god, no matter how hard she tried.

She was vaguely aware that a man had approached her and she was afraid that he was going to hurt her. But then she felt him grab her by the arm to help her gain her balance. "Thank you." She managed to say through a hoarse voice. She'd have to put skin eating diseases as one of the harder things to cure. At least this kind man had decided to help her, otherwise she wasn't sure what would have happened to her. The crowd sounded as if it was really getting upset, more so than before.

"I'm staying at an inn, called the Rusty Pearl. Could you please take me there?" She asked the man kindly. She had left her at that spot, but it didn't matter. She could always get another one. She had her pendant and the rest of her belongings were in her room, a simple canteen didn't matter that much. "I'm Ghost, a Cleric of Anaisyn. Probably the only one as far as I can tell and by my attempts today probably the only one there will ever be. You are very kind to help a pathetic cleric who almost got themselves killed." She said to the dark elf, feeling a bit depressed. She didn't know how she knew, but something told her he wasn't from around here.

Lion

She was more talkative than he expected and half as mobile.  From what he could tell performing such a healing spell took quite a toll on her and she was scarcely able to keep herself up on her own two feet.  Still, Hysaeda did what he could to keep her balanced and not stumbling like a drunken fool.  It was one thing to be disoriented from drink and quite another to lose some sense as a result of an exhausting task.  He didn't know what kind of healing spells so-called clerics performed but apparently they were as equally devastating as they were effective.

Does she know she looks like she was embraced by death? he thought with sheer bewilderment.  "Aye," he spoke as they sauntered down the dusty sand street.  If anything, the crunch of his footwear against the small grains of sand convinced him of the nuisances of living in the middle of the desert: Sand was everywhere!  He hadn't been to Essryn in so long that he nearly had forgotten just where the lodgings were for the city.  There were various inns sporadically placed through out the city however, there was a section only for the best.  He'd heard of the Rusty Pearl and from the name he assumed it was one of those second-class inns.  And just as he suspected, when he rounded a final corner he saw the ramshackle building (though not as bad as he thought).

"Ghost?  You have an interesting name and from the looks of you, I doubt it's far from the truth.  I wasn't surprised when those humans reacted that way.  Do you always seek to impose your faith on others?  Anyhow, you've have courage or 'guts' as many humans would put it.  Despite that, I couldn't just stand aside and let them hurt an innocent."  They approached the doors and he helped her inside, letting go of her a little to see if she could stand alone.  "I'm Hysaeda Kel-iro by the way.  Just what is someone like you doing this far south?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

They walked the few feet to the front of the Rusty Pearl and they entered the somewhat tattered inn. There wasn't many people in there at the moment. She steered their direction towards one of the tables and when they got close enough she pushed away from the kind man to set down. Ghost was just happy that she had managed to stay on her feet the whole time. She would have been very embarrassed if she had of fallen over or fainted.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Hysaeda. I'm sorry that we met in such odd circumstances, but you are a dear none the less." She said as she started to reach in her pouch for her canteen, but then realized that she had left it back the spot. There wasn't too many going in and out of the inn, so they were relatively alone sitting in the dining area. She finally had a chance to look at her savior. He was fairly tall and was very dark. By his physique he was probably of elven decent, but that was just a guess. This world was so full of unique races and species that it was hard to tell some times.

"Please don't think ill of me. I was not trying to push my beliefs on anyone. I was merely telling the people that Anaisyn loves them and wants to help. There is a difference. Anaisyn is a loving, caring god. He would not force anyone to worship him if they did not wish to. As far as my name, it is more of a nickname. I'm not sure what my birth name is." She explained to him a bit. She hated it when people assumed she was trying to make people believe what she did. All she was doing was spreading the word of Anaisyn, whether they accepted it or not was up to them. Of course she'd love to win over people, but she would never force anyone to believe something they didn't want to.

"I am happy that you care for the innocent. I must say I am certainly a lover and not a fighter. I don't know what I would have done if the crowd had turned more violent." She knew exactly what would have happened, she would have morphed into her bird form and would have gotten out of there as fast as she could. "I'm not really from anywhere. I just wander to where ever I want and spread the word as well as heal those in need. Is there anything I can do for you since you were so kind to me?" She asked.

Lion

The ramshackle hotel was enough to suit his needs; if it got him out of the hellish heat then that was all that mattered, he was modest enough to admit that at least.  In the scheme of the place it bore the semblance of the owner wanting to redecorated, however there were enough paying patrons to achieve such a task.  He supposed this was also the reason that the Rusty Pearl was located at the outskirts of Essryn's visitor lodgings.

He followed her inside and released his hold on her accordingly and then sat at the table she indicated.  He remained silent as he suffered beneath her flattery, noting that she referred to him as a 'dear'.  Deer?  He wasn't anything remotely like fawn!  But instead of being incredulous and saying something stupid he furrowed his brows as she finished discussing the finer points of her faith.

He knew from her garb that there was truth in her words.  She definitely wasn't from around here.  Of course, neither was he but he'd been to the city in the desert oasis enough times to tell that the basic garb consisted of light clothing that kept out the sun.  Generally the natives were dark skinned from all the sun exposure but despite that fact, there wasn't a doubt that both probably stood out like a sore thumb: first, she with all her deathly paleness and he with his severely dark skin in comparison to the flesh of Essryn natives.  It pained him further to realize that no matter where he went there would always be someone that would take a great dislike of another simply by how they look but it was a common reaction whether you were a 'savage' or religious cleric.  People just didn't like change!

Hysaeda nodded in understanding though he certainly thought her a fool that she was so trusting of him, a stranger.  "Please," he began, putting his face up in defense. "You don't have to be so flattering.  It's quite alright, really.  I generally don't like angry people, they are...bothersome.

"I believe those people would've tried to tear to you to shreds if they could.  At least my intervention spared a victim of their malice.  I apologize for them; I think they're too childish to suck up their anger and to do so themselves.  But how exactly do you propose to preach your faith if no one will listen?  I know you seek to do so peaceably but I don't think you'll get far wherever you go."  He was silent for a moment and rubbed a hand through his white hair, placing two braids behind one of his elongated ears.

"People are rather resilient when it comes to things as sensitive as faith.  What exactly has convinced you that your faith in this Anaisyn must be spread to others?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Ghost sat there and caught her breath for a moment. She nodded in agreement to his statement, "Yes, they are very bothersome. Yet they are still human and should be treated with the love and kindness all deserve. Even though they probably don't deserve it." She felt sort of bad for saying that last part, but she did feel that way. If she couldn't be truthful to herself what was the point of being truthful at all? She waved at one of the workers and asked for two glasses of water.

She listened closely to what Hysaeda had to say and understood what he meant for the most. Ghost probably did seem a tad bit on the crazy side to most people, but she liked who she was and what she stood for. "I can see why you would be confused and honestly Anaisyn knows how often I've wondered why I would do such a thing myself. Please though, do not apologize for them. Either they are sorry or they are not, you should not have to carry their burden for them. I am very grateful still that you did intervene on my behalf."

She thought for a moment about his question. Why would someone knowingly risk their life for their religion? Again she thought of the woman. "I do it for people like that sick elderly woman. Seeing her reaction in knowing that she could be touched again, that maybe her kids or grand kids can hug her again and that people would no longer stare at her disgust. That's why I do it. Even though most of that crowd was against me, that women will never forget what a crazy cleric of Anaisyn did for her for no reason other than this god loved her. One candle can light a single room. That woman will tell what happened to her and the word of Anaisyn will spread. So whether or not that whole fiasco seemed like a failure to you, it was actually pretty fruitful." At that moment the worker came back with two glasses of water. Ghost took a generous sip of the cool water and it soothed her parched throat.

At his last question, Ghost laughed. "Honestly, and this is going to sound very odd, I'm not sure what makes me do it. I don't remember most of my past to tell the truth. It was only two years ago that I woke up on an island in an infirmary. The people there had found me on the beach half drowned. They nursed me back to health and gave me the name Ghost. The only thing that I had on me from my past was this necklace." She pulled out her purple pendant and opened up the secret compartment. "Inside was this piece of paper. Don't ask me what it's made of. I've never seen anything like it." She handed him over the piece of paper. It was made of an almost transparant paper that had an mother of pearl sheen to it. On the paper was the words, Share my love, heal my people. "After reading those words I went into almost a trance and a very deep voice spoke to me and told me what I was to do and to not be afraid. That's why I do it. Unfortunately I don't know much about my god, but I do wish to know more."

Lion

Hysaeda nodded once more at the fact that he helped her.  Of course, he knew the consequences of small kindnesses, which ofttimes people expected to occur on a regular basis once enacted the first time.  It was just his character to protect those who were defenseless at the time they were persecuted by an aggressor and if he faced off against an unarmed opponent.  Characteristically, he would have done that for someone who truly deserved it, for sometimes, in the scheme of all things, there had to be destruction in order for a greater event to take place.  This was a lesson of his god Umbra, and one he took to heart on more than one occasion.

"An island?"  The question wasn't a surprising one for him for Hysaeda had only been as far as the edge of the Tuor and didn't know anything beyond the mainland.  If she was from the west then he'd have a better chance of figuring out where she came from; even if she didn't know herself, Ankuman trained in the mysterious arts of divination and mysticism, both combined allowed for the Ankuman to gain powerful insight into things beyond normal mortal understanding.  Experts in divination could see visions of the future and adepts mystics could locate things that obscured most other's vision.  There was power in being a spiritual leader and it was a task that he adhered to ardently.  It certainly was better than wasting one's time learning geography, as ironic as that sounded for a hunter.

"That's an interesting way of putting your predicament," he remarked and refused to follow suit in drinking the water.  He'd already had his share of the rejuvenating substance.  "However, I think you ought to consider the meaning of such words.  Who, in fact, are Anaisyn's people?  I don't think a lone messenger such as yourself could really hit the whole continent could you?  Maybe, but there's also the possibility that he wishes you to target a specific group."  He laughed a little at his pathetic jest.  "Excuse me, I didn't mean to make it sound as if you on some sort of bloody crusade.  You don't intend to 'target' anyone are you?"

Carefully, he fingered the slip of paper in his dark hands, cautious as to not put further tears into the fragile parchment.  Indeed there were words scribed into and he read with slowness the Common it expressed.  Share my love, heal my people...  What was that supposed to mean?  He gazed at it in minor disbelief, as if he'd just heard of story of the spirit of Umbra appearing in corporeal form.  "And this is all you can say for that...  I'd like to think that we'd all like to know more about those we are faithful to," he said with his jaw set, muscles protruding.  "But more often than not, it's not meant to be.  Do you know what I am?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

The entire time the ancient slip of paper was in Hysaeda's hand her eyes never left it. It wasn't that she didn't trust the dark man to not hurt it, it was that it was the only thing that connected her to her unknown past. "Yes an island, I don't recall the name of it, it was so small. The residents were very friendly to me and nursed me back to health. I was almost sad to leave them, but the call of Anaisyn was too strong for me to ignore. I'm sure that must sound a bit out there."

She thought about what he said and his words were very wise. "I couldn't give you a clear answer if my life depended on it, I'm sad to say. I wish I could though." She took the initiative to take back her piece of paper and looked at it once before tucking it safely away again. "I can tell you this though. Anaisyn has spoken to me on a very few occasions and from what I feel, he considers all to be his children. Of course I could be wrong though, but I'll keep doing what I've been doing. A crusade however, does not fit in with my beliefs. So you don't have to worry on that account. I'm only here to spread peace and love."

She smiled apologetically at him, "I'm sorry I don't know who you are, besides Hysaeda of course. I'm the most intelligent when it comes to other cultures. I'm sure if I was then I wouldn't get into so much trouble. So you are exactly?"

Lion

Hysaeda nodded in understanding.  "I know what you mean.  Broadening your expertise always helps when it come to aiding people.  You must exercise caution lest you come across someone who doesn't want to be helped.  There is much more suspicion going on these days than I can remember and chances are your healing won't be welcome to certain people."  He paused for a moment and he tried to gather the gumption to begin his next subject.  "And...those might include my people."

"I-I've never been this uncomfortable before when it comes to discussing who I am.  Sorry about that.  But I will begin nonetheless.  As you can probably tell from my ears, as they are longer than your, I am of Elven descent.  But by my skin, eyes, and hair, you might also suspect that I'm a drow.  If you did then are a wrong.  I am an Umbraeon.  I don't know if you've ever heard of my people as it's a mystery to most, if not all, outsiders."  He finally to a sip from the water offered as the beads of sweat was already collecting on his dark skin.

"Umbraeons are known for being both savages and warriors.  But moreover is their undying faith toward our god and creator Umbra.  As much as most Umbraeons attempt to tolerate other cultures, when it comes to religion, they are more stubborn than if you tried to move a mountain.  That's why I warn you about being careful with whom you try to heal.  No Umbraeon would want your aid if it meant forsaking their traditions and faith to Umbra.  Most would declare you as a follower of a false god."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"I did think you an elf, but I don't recall seeing any drow. I'm most sure I've never heard of Umbraeons. Of course I might have before my amnesia. I'm afraid I must come off as being quite ignorant and naive." She said with a small sad smile. "You're people sound beautiful, it's wonderful to meet someone with such a rich background."

She listened to him closely and appreciated what he had to say. "Oh my! I fear you have misunderstood me. I would never think of turning, let's say you for instance, away from your god. The fact you believe in a power higher than what is here on this earth is wonderful. Anaisyn is not a jealous god, at least I've never felt he is that way, but he does frown on those who worships gods that are evil or harmful to living things."

"As for my healing, I heal any who need it without expecting the person I heal to immediately turn towards Anaisyn. If they are godless then I may try to persuade a bit harder if they are willing to listen. But if you needed healing I would heal you expecting nothing in return. I would be absolutely mortified with myself if I made someone forsake the god that loves them for mine. Besides which I don't think Anaisyn would be very pleased with me either. I certainly don't want to anger him. As for me worshiping a false god, well there I must disagree with you. Anaisyn is very real to me as your god is very real to you. I though would never claim you to be worshiping a god that is false. Everyone is different and there are many good gods for all to worship." She said in a very easy manner. One on one Ghost was much more comfortable talking to people, it was the big groups that really bothered her. One person didn't scare her so much, of course it always depended on the person. Hysaeda was a person she felt fairly comfortable with.

Lion

So that's what she meant by helping.  She didn't necessarily mean to press her faith upon her others of the idea of Anaisyn, merely aid them because it was in her nature to do so.  He understood now, though that didn't mean he was any less adverse to her methods; Ankuman just didn't go around healing just anybody.  They were proscribed spiritual leaders that worked specifically with believers of Umbra, anybody else was considered simply an outsider and wouldn't understand the technicalities of their faith.

Hysaeda comprehended the solid fact that everyone was entitled to their chosen faith and compared that to the fact that Umbraeon tolerance for Dark Elves who wanted to believe in something that wasn't Umbra.  So long as it didn't have anything to do with the Drow, their fellow tribesmen left them in relative peace and do as they please so long as they respected the choice of the Umbra faithful to not follow them.  There was very little dissent among the Umbraeon tribes that most who wished for a different life left without any resentment.

He nodded at her explanation and said, "That certainly says much.  You're lucky I'm one of the more tolerant of my kind though I can't say the same for the rest of us."  He burned a little inside at the sound of his own lie, he secretly believed all her claims were nothing but fanaticism, but it wasn't like he could seriously hold that against her.  He understood that Umbra was no longer in physical existence as he was thousands of years ago, and that only his spirit remained for Ankuman to make contact with.  Divination was a strange magic, and only the most immersed practitioners could contact the great one, sometimes to point where they felt as if they were one with him.  

"Actually," Hysaeda went on.  "I'm actually quite surprised you're still talking to me.  Most would consider a savage like myself not worth the ground they walk on."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

At his last statement Ghost looked at him as if she hadn't ever really looked at him before. "Savage? You? Please. I mean you do look like you are more from the wilderness than most around here, but that doesn't peg you for a savage. Besides I think I'm the last person here that would judge by actions or outward appearance." She said with a smile and then pointed out her pure white hair and purple eyes. Of course Ghost's nature was not one to judge people by appearance, she preferred to know a person a bit before she threw a label on them. Even then she didn't like judging and often felt bad when she made a snap judgment about a person.

"I bet your homeland is wonderful. I prefer places that are more down to earth, shall we say, rather than the big cities where all people care about is themselves. I think I feel that way cause of the place I first remember staying at, the little village. They were a very simple people, worked the land to live, took care of one another. It was the kind of life one should want to live even though it was not full of glamor and riches. "Don't get me wrong though. The big cities are very exciting and you never know what's going to happen while you're there. Ever been to one of the capitols? The buildings themselves seem like a work of art, well at least some of them do."

(sorry short)

Lion

He gazed at her awkwardly as she elaborated on the subject of savages.  So she didn't think him as one?  Apparently she didn't think him one and that was all the more reason to give a solemn sigh of relief.  If only it was like him to do that.  He wasn't one to let his guard down around anyone, even if they didn't mean him any harm.  She seemed harmless enough outwardly but he knew better that nothing ever was as it seemed.  Still, to know that she wouldn't hold any of those mindless prejudices against him relieved some of his anxiety.  But then again how could she be so open-minded?  Wait a sec, she had amnesia....

He gave small smile in her direction in response.  "That's good for the rest of us.  Too bad not every, err 'person', can't be as open as you.  But that's no matter. Umbraeons have no care for the opinions of other mortals, they are as trivial as a whisper to the howling of the wind."

The rest of her speak revolved around visiting cities and talk of his homeland.  "A beautiful place?  Hardly.  The Thunderblacks are a harsh land.  Like this place except colder and with dragons crawling about.  We're a bit like your village, except for the fact that had someone like you been found, you'd have just as likely been killed as nurtured back to health.  But as for cities... I don't get out much.  The only city I've traveled to in a while was Essryn.  Most people wouldn't give to much care for an Umbraeon from the mountains."

He stood, seeing as he was taking time away from what he came to the city to do.  "I'd love to stay and chat but I've got some business in the market."  Hysaeda turned to the door and was about to depart when an interesting concept into his mind.  Turning back to her he smiled gently and said, "Unless you'd like to come along."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"Oh that's beautifully poetic." She said to his comment about the Umbraeons not caring for what others think. Ghost had a love for poetry, though she herself wasn't good at it. Any type of literature was enjoyable to her. She loved reading anything and everything she could get her hands on.

She listened politely as he described his homeland. "No offense, but I probably not go there then. I have no problems with dragons, it's the cold that would get to me. I do not know or understand why, but for some reason cold temperature really disables me. I mean that literally. I can barely move in cold weather." Thanks to her amnesia she had to learn that little weakness out all over again. She was traveling north headed towards the tundras. Once she got there though she realized what a bad idea it was. She had to pay someone to take her back south in their cart cause she was too weak to walk.

"I understand. I'm sorry for taking so much of your time." She said, a little sad her rescuer was having to leave. She was contemplating what she was going to do now when Hysaeda turned around and asked her if she would like to come along. "Oh yes!" She said excitedly, jumping up to meet him at the door. "I mean, as long as I won't bother you."

Lion

In the back of his mind he couldn't help but hear a small audible voice in the back of his mind exclaiming, "This isn't such a good idea."  But in actuality he nodded politely toward Ghost and said, "Nonsense.  I'd be happy to have you come along.  But easy on the excitement, okay?  I don't want any unwanted attention.  Follow me then."  He gave a final nod and proceeded out the door.

Of all the time Hysaeda spent indoors, the heat was carefully dissipating from his flesh.  Which was good for him because that gave way for the coolness of the water to replace it.  That helped him a bit and certainly made him less irritable.  Perhaps it was a little ironic even that despite the fact of Umbraeons lived in cool climates yet they had a penchant for such hot-headed behavior.  Wouldn't creatures that were cool be more inclined to relax?  Not for his kind.  There was more to gain from raiding a neighboring tribe than in sitting around all day.

But the Essryn heat hit him like a smack to the face and made him feel flush as he wandered out into the sandy streets.  He felt as if he'd just walked into a lava pit or at least into the gassy stomach of a dragon.  Along the path to the market, Hysaeda turned to Ghost and asked, "So do you do other things besides spread the word of your god?  There must be more to your life than being a messenger if I'm not mistaken?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"Uh sure. Sorry." She said a bit of a blush covering her cheeks for being overly excited. She calmed herself way down and silently fell in behind him. She did love this desert weather, the heat felt marvelous to her. Ghost didn't do well in cooler climates, but in warmer ones she thrived. She didn't know why that was, but that's how it was. She fervently hoped that they wouldn't run into any of the angry people as they walked through the crowd. The last thing she wanted was to get into trouble again or get Hysaeda into trouble.

"Oh certainly there's more that I do." She said a bit defensively, but she had to think a moment before she answered him. "Let's see I like writing, drawing, not too bad at painting if I do say so myself. Plus I love swimming and flying. Exploring new lands and the depths of lakes. Nature itself is just so amazing I can't get enough of it."

Lion

Hysaeda was doing well enough for the moment.  As long as they didn't walk too fast or anything that would overheat his body, he would be fine.  He was a resilient Umbraeon and could endure more than the average mortal.  It was in his blood, other than that there wasn't much else to say on the subject.  It was a biological fact that Umbraeons were built to take a beating.  They could run for miles with twice their weight before collapsing from exhaustion.  But that wasn't something that Hysaeda planned on doing anytime soon.  So in the meantime, he would travel light, sell his furs, use the money to buy loads of supplies (from food to water), and then head back to the mountains.  He didn't want any trouble and, as far as he calculated his plans, he would have none so long as all went well.

He smiled a little to Ghost, still getting accustomed to the company of another.  Clearing his throat from the dryness of the desert air, he pressed on, leading her around a couple of stalls that began the early parts of the merchant area.  "That's good that you have a love for the arts," he commented while keeping his eyes on the oncoming people traffic. "Most people would rather get their hands dirty with hard labor like mining.  Very few would actually care to appreciate the beauty of painting or sculpting.  Do you like to sculpt too?"

Around the bend, which, thankfully, was not the area where he'd rescued her from the mad mob but surely resembled the place, lead to the hustle and bustle of the market crowd.  Vendors stood on either side haggling with customers and trying to see eye to eye from time to time.  "Nature is beautiful, indeed," he agreed with a nod.  "I take it you go out into the wild often?  I have an affinity with nature myself, you know.  It's apart of my...uh, training."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn