Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Favor [Joelle!!]

Started by Anonymous, May 24, 2009, 06:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Jealousy crept through him, through each and every of his veins and made his heart clench in his chest. "But Adas, you have to!" his sister had said, throwing herself at him and throwing her tiny arms around his waist, for it was as high on him as she could reach. "Please, Adas? I'll never ask another thing from you if you can get this for me!" And, loving his little sister as much as he did and knowing he had to regardless because he was the oldest child, Adastros as left Serendipity to travel to La'marri, where his sister had said this ingredient-thing-whatever-it-was-she-needed was.

He wouldn't have been so bothered if it hadn't been for magic. Even his nine-year-old sister could cast a few spells, and was willing to gather unknown substances to attempt new things. Yet he, a twenty-four-year-old young man, was completely incapable of performing even minor magic. Was that even fair?

Still, it was a chance away from home, and he didn't get many of those. Adastros settled down a little and decided he would try to enjoy it for as long as he could.

But that enjoyment didn't last long. It had been wonderful, walking through the woods, the scent of pine dazzling his senses. The low hanging branches were a bit of a nuisance but they were few and far between, and overall this place was beautiful. At least, until he realized there were a lot of trees. Probably more than there should have been for this being near a town.

Oh, for the love of the gods, he was lost, wasn't he?!

With a groan Adastros' shoulders slumped forward and he lifted his hands to his face. Lost, wonderful, he comes here out of the goodness of his heart and he was going to die! Some wild animal was going to come out of the forest and eat him and he was going to die, and it would be Arietta's fault!

Or some spider would get him. Oh, not the spiders, not them!

Adastros whimpered then, looking around feverishly. Which was had he come from? Had he walked in a straight line the whole time? He couldn't remember - oh, gods, no! "Uh, eh heh, anyone there?" he tried, his voice weak and filled with fear. He knew he was alone, aside from maybe the birds that roosted in the trees, but hey, worth a shot, right?

Anonymous

Rosamira, bored, had decided to climb a tree. When she heard the other person's voice, she quickly jumped down from it and, luckily, landed on her feet. "Here!" she called, excited to see another being.  It was almost as if she had expected to see him. This time, it looked like it was a human. "Hi, my name is Rosamira and I live here in the Niahi Woods. May I help you?" she asked.

Anonymous

The last thing Adastros expected was someone to answer his plea. Pleasantly surprised, he straightened immediately and turned to look at the young woman who had jumped from the tree. For a moment he was confused; how could anyone stand to climb a tree? They were dirty, and the bark... well, he wouldn't get into it. He was simply grateful to have found some form of life - and a kind one at that, not to mention pretty, even if she did look a little too young for him - in this desolate place.

Putting on a charming smile, Adastros bent at the waist and swept a hand under his abdomen while the other went behind his back. Young as she was, she was still a young lady and he had to treat her as such. "Adastros Leander, m'lady," he said, his former anxiety seeming to have completely vanished. He stood erectly then, looking down at her. "Ah, I seem to be lost - there was supposed to be some sort of village apparently and I've been looking for quite a while, but I think it's trying to play hide and seek with me." His head cocked to the side and he laughed good-naturedly. Worry caused his brows to knit them, as if her statement before had only just registered. "You live in these woods, my dear? You don't mean like... you have a treehouse, right? Because that would be terrifying."

Anonymous

"Oh no. I have... well... sort of a shelter by the lake. See... I used to live in a house, but I got kicked out. My mother died giving birth to me, and I was raised by a family of elves. But I guess now that I'm sixteen, I'm too big for them, plus a lot of the elves in the community disapproved of my being human. But the humans... the ones who come here... don't really like me either because they disapprove of my being raised by elves. Oh..." Suddenly, Rosamira blushed. "You probably didn't want to hear all that. My name is Rosamira Mazarin and I'm sixteen years old. And it is a pleasure to meet you, Lord Adastros." Rosamira was being uncharacteristically formal, but she couldn't help it. Maybe her formal behavior now would make up for all her goings on about being kicked out of her house. She did want someone to know that, but telling them right off nearly always seemed to scare people away.

Anonymous

Oh, he was going to get to hear a story? Adastros loved stories! Perfectly content to merely listen her to speak, Adastros remained silent and involved in every word that fell from her lips. Her voice was pretty enough, in a sort of subtle way - it was something he could enjoy listening to. Nothing but sympathy traced the features of his face at the news of her mother, for although he didn't know from firsthand experience, it must have been hard to grow up never knowing who ones mother was. Her story only seemed to worsen and his heart almost wrenched in his chest. She couldn't win, could she? Both sides of her worlds thought her an outcast, unworthy - that closed-mindedness was precisely the thing that continued to suffocate the world.

"No, dear, it's perfectly fine," he said, his voice soft and tender like that of a father or an older brother or at least someone who genuinely cared. Adastros moved closer to her, sweeping an arm around her shoulders and pulling her close to him. "Never apologize for speaking your mind. Sometimes people need to hear things, even if they don't want to." He winked, hoping it would encourage her to continue to speak with him.

A grin cracked his lips apart then and he laughed a bit. "You knew I was a Lord, hm?" Although it was obvious, from his clothing to the way he spoke to even his gestures. "I'm graced to be in the presence of such a clever young lady, Rosamira. Lovely name, by the way."

Anonymous

Her eyes filled with tears when he pulled her close, but she tried not to let them spill. "Do you know, you're the first person who has hugged me since I left?" It was no use. She would probably never be shown affection again. It was rare enough as it was. Hardly anyone cared about her, or so it seemed, and she leaned against him and cried all the tears she had had to hold back when she left. When she was finally spent, she still leaned against him as if she were tired, but she tried to respond to his comments. "Um... thank you. My mother named me Rosamira and my elf mother named me Callalelosille, though the elves just called me Calla. They both mean "shining rose." And yes, I knew you were a lord. You are too...well...polished...to be anything else," she said.

Anonymous

Adastros' eyes widened at the tragic realization. The first person to hug her, to show her any sort of affection since she'd been kicked out; while it was an honor it was absolutely deplorable at the same time. How could the people that she'd grown up with think her so undeserving of peace and a happy life to just throw her out?

He wasn't expecting her to lean against him further, nor did he expect the sobs. Adastros was frozen for a moment, muscles paralyzed despite how desperately he wanted to move away. These clothes were new, especially his red jacket, he didn't want her crying all over them and staining them! It was no matter though, the poor damsel was clearly heartbroken and distressed. "Shh, there, there," he soothed, rubbing her back gently in the hopes that it would calm her. "Everything will be fine, dear. You just cry, okay? It's not your fault."

A large part of him was relieved when she stopped crying. He cast a discreet glance from the top of her head to his jacket and shirt, cringing inwardly at the wet spots she had made. He was going to look like a fool if he continued to parade around like that... why hadn't he just given her a handkerchief and let her cry into that? He was just too nice for his own good.

"Both fit a young lady such as yourself perfectly," he responded, ruffling her hair lightly. "I'm sure you'll only grow more and more into your given names once you're a full grown woman. And all those who wronged you will feel quite horrible once they see what you one day become, I assure you." Adastros rubbed her back one last time before unwinding his arm from her body.

Anonymous

It had been days.

Sharlee shifted and pushed a long braid over her shoulder as her fingers ran down the scaly back of the white dragon. Days since she'd seen another traveller, which meant that she was probably going the wrong way. Not there was a wrong way, but that's what you got when you were looking for something but didn't know what it was.

It was one of those rare moments when she rode on the dragon instead of walking beside him, sitting on his upper neck, above his large wings which were tucked against his sides. His clawed toes pressed against leaves and earth and voices rang out in front of them. The girl, Sharlee, looked to be in her late teens, lavender eyes and dark black hair, gently pointed ears, an easy smile and she leaned to the side to look for whatever it was that made the noise.

" Uh oh." Sharlee leaned forward and grabbed onto the white dragons neck, just in time for him to bolt towards the pair, the red jacket. Doeshe loved red. A little too much. " Doeshe!! Stop! That branch is–!!" A loud ground and the elf girl flew backwards off of her mount, landing on her bottom to lift a hand and wipe blood off from her nose, glaring at the white beast. " DOESHE!!"

Face red, the young lady moved forward, dropping the backpack heavy with supplies beside a tree as she ran towards the red and her dragon. " Doeshe, dammit!" The dragon, still a baby despite his size ran full force, skidding to a halt next to the pair, sitting back on his haunches and wagging his long tail widely, his tongue lolling to the side of his mouth and his eyes bright. "I'm so sorry!" Her voice rang out just as the young dragon pressed tongue to the young mans neck and licked upwards, smothering the side of his head in thick dragon drool.

Sharlee stood there, arms up, a look of horror on her face, before she glared at the dragon and pointed at the spot beside her. Instantly he wilted and wandered back over to lay down, his tail reaching over and grabbing the backpack she'd dropped and putting it to his side. "I'm so sorry! Both of you! I'm Sharlee, this is Doeshe, he's... " Sharlee ran her hand under her nose to wipe the blood away again, staring at it, annoyed, " He really loves the colour red and.. Well.. " She pointed, "Your jacket." Another pause and she stared at them, hands falling to her sides. They didn't really looked dressed for traveling.

" Are you two... Travelling together... I can help you set up camp if you're done for the day." Sharlee reached up and poked one of her pointed ears, " I can hear the river."

Anonymous

Rosamira wiped her eyes. "Thank you," she murmured. "I'm sure they will." Adrastos' rubbing of her back had felt so good and she was finally able to relax a little bit. She was just about to ask him where he had come from and what he wanted to find when suddenly, a huge baby dragon came bolting towards them. She jumped away just in time to avoid becoming a human tortilla (she thought) and sprinted far enough away to watch the dragon lick Adrastos, getting its drool all over him. In spite of her fright, she couldn't help giggling. It might have been huge but the dragon was cute. She wanted to pet it, and she was laughing so hard as she watched it licking Adrastos that she couldn't even introduce herself to the dragon's owner. "Hahahahaha-  Lord Adrastos, are you all right?" Rosamira managed after about five minutes of hard laughter.

Anonymous

It was good to see that Rosamira seemed more relaxed. He was so talented at these sorts of things, wasn't he? A pure genius when it came to women! Feeling quite proud of himself, Adastros straightened a little more, completely unaware of the "danger" that was coming upon them. Only when he heard someone yell did he turn his head, nearly screaming at the sight of a pure white, overgrown lizard running at them. His jaw dropped and his eyes widened, filled with panic. He couldn't even move!

Reason number 341 never to go to foreign lands to retrieve items for a sister: Dragons.

Adastros threw his arms up and lifted a single leg bent at the knee, the only defensive stance he could really manage. If he ran he was afraid the thing would tackle him and tear him to shreds; maybe if he stayed still it wouldn't notice him! His plan seemed to fail as the baby dragon got up on its haunches and licked him with its tongue. "Please don't eat me!" he shrieked, his tone somewhat high-pitched. It was tasting him - oh this was disgusting, its saliva was dripping all over his head! Adastros felt nauseous and clenched his eyes shut, swallowing roughly in an attempt to hold down the contents of his stomach. It was slimy and went, matting his hair down and making its way down his coat. He'd never felt his repulsive in his life.

Somewhere along the way his leg had lowered, but his arms were still up, as if that would somehow make a difference. At the sound of another female voice, Adastros lifted his hands to his face and, with a great degree of reluctance to get that substance on his hands, swatted the saliva off his cheek and away from his eyes so he could open them safely. He gazed at the girl, blinking in surprise. The dragon seemed to be hers. "... It wanted my jacket?" he squeaked. "Well it can have it now! As long as it doesn't eat me, it can have whatever it wants!"

Adastros whimpered and swallowed again. Yuck, now it was getting all sticky and clinging to him...

His attention shifted to Rosa, who seemed to find this situation far more hilarious than he did. "Aside from the fact that a dragon tried to maul me, I'm okay," he said, his voice trembling. "Only covered in its spit, gross... like a dog... you should teach that thing some manners." Adastros shuddered, a whole new wave of nausea coming over him.

"I... I'm pretty sure I'm done traveling today, I've had enough. You said there's a river? I think I need a bath..." he whined.

Anonymous

Doeshe looked plesantly displeased and gloomy, his head resting on his forepaws and he gave an indignant snort and looked longingly at the man. And his coat. Sharlee pinched the bridge of her nose before she wiped at it again with the back of her sleeve, shooting the grumpy dragon a glare before she walked over, the bleeding slowly stopping from when Doeshe ran into the tree. Chewing on her lip, she held her hands in front of her and looked down at the ground before bowing.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't think there would be any travelers around so I could only hold on which.. Well.. Didn't really work anyway." Sharlee pushed her hair back again, smiling at the girl before she moved her hands to her hips and turned her head. "I know. We can head to the river and set up a camp near it!" She smiled before moving back to the dragon and running a hand over his head.

"I know his slobber is just... horrible... But he's quite gentle, his name is Doeshe, he's the size of a draft horse, but as cuddly as a kitten, he's still a baby so I'm sorry if he offends you." Sharlee stood up, her hands still on the dragons face and he stood up along with her, wandering over to Rosa to nudge at her head in greeting while Sharlee smiled.

Hefting the backpack up onto her shoulders, the elf smiled and started to walk towards the water, a clearing behind a rather thick push of branches and bushes. "Don't get naked if you do clean yourself off, the water is glacial run off, so it's quite cold." Sharlee smiled and turned to Rosa, "Oh! I don't know your names! I could call you Lady and Sir but... Names are so much nicer than titles." Another bright smile and Sharlee pulled out a hand cloth from her bag and threw it towards the young man who seemed to be Doeshes favourite.

Anonymous

"My name is Rosamira," she said as the dragon nudged her head. "And you are very cute," she said to Doeshe, petting him happily. He was adorable! At seeing the elf girl, though, her eyes misted over a little. She could have been her sister, though logically, Rosamira knew she wasn't. It couldn't hurt to try to ask if she'd seen her family though.

"Have you seen Calabriel and Theoden Mazarin? They are my sister and brother," she said. She would be so happy if Sharlee had seen them! She missed everyone back home.

Anonymous

Camp near the river, that sounded wonderful. Until Adastros realized what set up camp meant. No civilization, just laying on the ground, maybe with blankets if there were any, and a little man-made fire... that was not what he'd had in mind when he'd left. Arietta owed him big time if he ever made it back home in one piece.

Doeshe? Adastros stared at the white dragon, annoyance showing in his features. His eyes were narrowed just the tinniest bit and his lips were set into a childish pout. Gentle his foot... things that were gentle didn't try to attack and eat other beings. He nodded at the apology, though, he'd take that. It wasn't the young lady's fault that her animal was out of control. "It's okay," he said with a deep sigh. There was no point in staying indignant, even if he did smell absolutely disgusting and look like he'd just been vomited on.

Adastros was saddened to hear that the water was glacier runoff. After getting lost and getting licked by a dragon, he was hardly in the mood for a freezing, ice-cold bath, but it would have to do. Unfortunately there was nothing he could do about it; he'd just have to take a quick dive in with his undergarments on, clean off the saliva - which would be a feat in and of itself, he didn't even want to touch that part of his body now - and be done.

"Adastros Leander would be my name," he said, his tone warmer than it had been moments ago. "You may call me whatever you please, shorten it if you so desire. And yours?" Wary eyes peeked over to look at Rosamira and the dragon. The cloth almost went unnoticed, but he reached out and grabbed it at the last moment. "Thanks," he said, using it to wipe away whatever of the drool he could. His blonde hair was darkened by it and stuck out at awkward angles where'd he'd wiped it.

Again, he looked at Rosamira at the mention of her siblings. "Funny, I'd been under the impression you were an only child," he said.

Anonymous

"Technically,from my human mother, I was. But my elf parents had two other children besides me," she explained. "I want to know if this elf girl has seen my siblings. My family didn't kick me out voluntarily, they were forced. I'm sure they would help me if they thought they could get away with it," Rosamira said with a sigh. "It is rather lonely living by oneself, though I have a water-horse friend who comes to see me now and again." She knew they would perhaps be surprised at her being friends with a water-horse, but when someone was as lonely as Rosamira was, they made friends with anything they could as long as it promised not to eat them.

Anonymous

Sharlee cracked a grin Adastros' pout. Though, when Rosamira mentioned her siblings Sharlee's eyebrows went up. "Oh... No. I'm afraid Doeshe and I have been travelling alone for nearly three years now, we run into a lot of travelers, but I don't recall anyone you've named, we're not from around here. Travellers." To make a point, she bumped the back-pack before she rested it on the rocks at her feet, smiling towards both of them. "Oh." She paused again before giving a short formal bow, "I'm Sharlee Glockmoor Pri– er.. Traveller."

She flipped a hand to point to the dragon who was nuzzling at Rosamiras head but giving doe eyes to Adastros, " He is Doeshe. He's not my pet, he's a traveling companion. I don't do anything to keep him with me. If he likes her more than he likes me, he'd probably start following Rosamira around!"

Another bright smile and Sharlee starting to pick through the backpack, she had a bed roll for herself and a few extra blankets. Flint, dried food from her last visit to a village. Neither of them looked all that sure about what to do. Slowly she pulled her lower lip into her mouth, casting her lavender eyes towards the girl when she mentioned a water-horse.

That... Didn't sound too healthy. "A... Though, I suppose I can't tell you that's a bad idea. I have him. He's the size of a horse and still growing." Sharlee smiled and shook her head, towards Doeshe who was slowly wandering back to Sharlee, knowing that she was going to start a fire, which she did. "Adastros! Bathe already! The water isn't going to get any warmer and you'll want to be dry before sundown." She smiled and started to look around for kindling and dry pieces of wood.

A long pause.

"Have... Either of you made camp before...?" Sharlee looked over her shoulder towards the noble boy before looking towards the girl, "Do either of you have anything?" slim eyebrows were drawn upwards and the pieces of wood in her hands made her fingers itchy. Leave it to the elf girl to find a pair of humans out here on purpose... With little to no idea of what they were doing.

Anonymous

"Oh, so you haven't seen them, then," said Rosamira, and she looked inconsolable for a moment, and seemed almost more helpless than before. Still, she hid her disappointment well enough. It was different when it had been just she and Adrastos, but she certainly wasn't going to cry in front of everyone. She just missed everyone so much. Then, she heard Sharlee ask if they had made camp before.

"Well... I haven't made a tent before, but I've made a raft," she offered. "I'm not sure how much help that will be, but at least I've made something." No offense to Adrastos, but she doubted he'd ever made anything in his life. Doeshe stopped nuzzling Rosamira's head and wandered toward Sharlee, who made a fire, so Rosamira followed. She did hope Adrastos would take Sharlee's advice and bathe already. He needn't be afraid. "The fire is nice and warm, Lord Adrastos," she called encouragingly. "The sooner you get in the water, the sooner you can get out and get warm."

Anonymous

She had a friend that was a water-horse? With that fact out in the open, Adastros couldn't deny that she did seem lonely. The poor girl... he wondered if her life would be different if she went to a different region of this world, where no one would know who she was or her background, or anything about the elven-human rivalry that she had gone through. It was a sad thing indeed when one's best friend was an animal.

He threw his arms up, palms facing Sharlee, almost as if in surrender when she told him to go bathe. He was going - he just didn't want to abandon them and be rude! "Okay, I'll be back in a little bit," he said. It would have to be only a little bit, if what she said about the water temperatures was true. He turned on his heel and headed toward the river, only to stop dead in his tracks when the girl asked if he'd made a camp.

Before he could stop himself, Adastros snorted, a bout of chuckles rising forth from his larynx. Immediately he lifted a hand and clasped it over his mouth, figuring that his laughter was probably more than a little rude. "No, I haven't," he responded honestly, turning to look at Sharlee. "Forgive me." He gave a half-hearted, sort of cheesy smile, before continuing over to the river.

Stripping down to his undergarments, Adastros left the rest of his clothing in a near pile a few feet away from the bank in a small area that was mostly cleared of grass. The last thing he needed was for his clothing to suddenly become infected with insects of various sorts. Just the notion made a shudder run up his spine. Stepping into the water, goosebumps rose along every inch of his skin and he whimpered. It was so cold... oh he would have given anything for a nice, heated bath, somewhere warm and toasty where he could just relax. To his eyes, his skin had paled by ten shades; and that was only from his feet being in the water.

Adastros whined, folding his arms over his chest and shuffling deeper into the water inch by inch, dreading every moment of this. Once he was in deep enough, Adastros ducked his head under water and rinsed off the dragon drool, the sensations of pins and needles against his skin unrelenting. As soon as his teeth began chattering, though, that was the end; Adastros returned to the shore as fast as he possibly could and dried off with the cloth Sharlee had been kind enough to give to him before. After he was as dry as he could get himself, Adastros pulled his clothes back on, his blonde hair appearing somewhat darker and stringy, clumping together in locks more than it normally did.

He returned to the two girls at the point, looking between the two of them. "I hope the two of you didn't try to look or anything," he said, eyeing them in a teasing way. He hadn't been entirely nude, and he couldn't say he had anything to hide or that he would have entirely minded had they taken a peek anyway. Adastros turned his attention to Doeshe then and, deciding now was as good a time as any, he whistled and offered his coat out by the cuff so he wouldn't go near its saliva again. He had no more intention to wear it now that it was ruined so terribly.

"C'mere, boy, you can go ahead and have it," he said, his tone sounding somewhat resigned.

Anonymous

Rosamira hadn't peeked... but it didn't mean she hadn't wanted to. She did wonder what men looked like, and although she didn't know, she suspected that she would not have been disappointed if she had peeked. He wasn't terribly older than her.

She didn't focus on that now. "Adrastos... you looked rather surprised when I mentioned my water-horse friend. What you don't know is... he can change forms, so he's kind of human. A little. He talks to me sometimes, and he'd miss me terribly if I left," she said. "But that aside," she looked at both Adrastos and Sharlee carefully. "If I wished it, would you help me find a new home, where no one will hate me?" Rosamira wasn't sure she would want to leave the place where she had grown up, but she wasn't sure she didn't want to either.

Anonymous

While Adastros had been having his chilly dip to get rid of the dragon drool, Sharlee was picking up armfulls of dry wood, two little piles before she began gathering the fire wood, she gave a loud snort. " Uh... No... A raft would not be helpful for camping." A raft. Sharlee shook her head, both of them were hopeless, the nobleman she understood, she at one point had been clueless about traveling too, but she'd learned. Was still learning. The girl.

Alone. Who could make a raft. Sharlee took a moment to gently tap a stick over the top of her head. It was amazing the girl hadn't been mountain lion food. Another shake of her head and she went to the pile of wood Rosa was sitting in front of, moving it away a little so she could start it. Once the fire was started Sharlee made the bed she usually sleeped in and pointed towards Rosa. " You can sleep there, I'm okay with no bed for a night." She smiled and looked back up to see Adastros offering his coat to Doeshe.

"Uh...." Sharlee bit her lip and watched. Doeshe eyed the jacket, took it gently in his mouth and pressed his head to Adastros' chest purring loudly before his ears twitched and he looked off to the forest, " Ah.. He's found dinner." Sharlee's voice grew and she opened her arms in time for Doeshe to prance by and drop it into them, her lavender gaze turning back to Rosamari, she blinked, and stared.

"Rosa... Water Horses make friends so they can give them rides and drown them in water... It's how they eat." Sharlee poked a stick into the fire, adding another stick, making it larger and more comfortable, the sun was still up, another two hours at least until it went down, enough time for Doeshe to catch them dinner since... She looked between the two... Those two were useless. "Eh?" Sharlee's eyebrows shot up and she looked towards Adastros, blinking after a moment.

" That's very selfish of you, isn't it, Rosa? Adastros seems to be doing something for himself, and I'm looking for something, and... You want us to drop our own journey's to find you a home? I'm not sure where he's going," Sharlee nodded her head towards the young man, frowning a little before looking back at the girl, " but you're welcome to travel with me until Doeshe and I get to the next village, but I won't be taking care of you. I've been on my own since I was sixteen,"she paused before smiling, "My older sister is the Commander of the Adelan Armies and I've been looking for something worth while for myself."

Another pause and Sharlee turned to look at Adastros, "What is a spoiled brat like you doing out here in the forest?" The smile on Sharlee's face would lessen the blow of the insult, and she poked at the fire again.

Anonymous

"Just forget it. I mean... I wasn't trying to be selfish at all. If I was, it wasn't intentional. I'm sorry." It was just that she was so lonely... and the only reason she had been thrown out of the elf village was because she was who she was. It wasn't her fault that her mother had died when she was born, and her elf mother had been too kind to let her die. She did have to wonder what her purpose was now, but she hadn't been trying to be mean or manipulative.  

Rosamira did have to smile at the question Sharlee posed to Adrastos. She had been wondering what he was doing here too.