Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Teatime

Started by FROSTCestrell, October 02, 2023, 12:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FROSTCestrell

As goddess of thunder and fire, devoted to keeping the balance of all things there were in the greater scheme of things, Akira spent a great amount of time on the road, wandering the country and trying to do her duty whenever needed, even if she usually liked to let the mortals deal with the consequences of their choices themselfes. After all, there hardly was a true balance to things, when it was dependant on a single being keeping the scales in the middle by force. No. Instead, she made it so mortals kept the balance themselfes.

Regardless of that, her journey usually attracted quite the negative attention, especially from folks which tended to work outside, or were in the farming buisiness, seeing how Akira tended to drag bad weather with her, as if it was her shadow, always one step behind her and often ranging between a soft and warm rain, to small storms. It simply was something that she wasnt able to change, even if she understood the reason for this effect perfectly fine. And while Akira normally wasnt particularely bothered by her clothes being soaking wet and her walking around in them, she still had a body which was able to feel and had its needs, such as the occasional comfort of a warm, dry place to sleep or stay in for a while.

It was this very reason that made her approach the strange building which was located in the middle of a dense forrest, equally covered and protected by nature's gifts. And who knew? Maybe there was more to this library then the eye could tell just by the looks of it.

Standing in front of the massive frontal door now, her face half covered under a hood and her arms and the tatoos on them exposed, two glowing eyes fixated at the opening, she rose her arm and knocked three times, with just the right amount of force that she imagined would be necessary, to be heard inside.

Goldie

Winifred happened to be at the front desk, spectacles resting at the tip of her nose while she peered down at the ledgers. They had received a sizable donation just the other day which would be useful in making sure the wards remained updated and they could pay the mages for the upkeep.

The knock on the door made her jump and a splatter of ink landed on the desk; thankfully.

The middle aged woman cursed quietly under her breath and dabbed at the ink with the corner of her black apron that covered a royal blue tunic. The color worn only by the head librarian.

"The door is always open, friend." She called from her seat without looking up. The ink continued to soak into the wood and she sighed before reaching for a violet and gold swirled marble which she waved quickly over the spot. The ink seemed to rise off of the desk and disappear into the sphere.

"Much better." She murmured, before going back to her ledgers.
A duck walked up to a lemonade stand.....

FROSTCestrell

Standing patiently in the rain and waiting for a sign, one that was coming sooner then she had expected, Akira saw herself invited in. Opening the door made of heavy and sturdy wood and entering the doorway, she quickly closed it, keeping the colth that the rain carried with it outside, before she spoke out to the woman which was only a few meters away from her: "Greetings stranger, my name is lady Akira. I hope that my appearance does not come at an unfortunate moment. I had hoped to seek shelter from the rain for a while.", as she brought her balled fist and palm, which was pointed towards the heavens, together, indcating a slight bow with her head at the same time.

As for her being completely soaked, she prefered to wait for an positive answer. After all, there was no use in getting dry, only to be turned away and told to leave.

As Akira stood there, she probably either was an imposing, or sorry sight to behold, unclear whether she was just a fancy beggar or actually someone that didnt care about appearances.

Goldie

Winifred glanced up for a quick moment but showed very little interest in her guest. She had many strange patrons over the years and it took a lot to make her blink.

"Yes, yes, well this is a public place. So long as you abide by our rules and don't drip on any collections, you're free to stay."

She pointed to a sign that read in big letters:
No Food
No Drink
Fire and Illusions are Prohibited and Warded.
Basement Collections for Library Staff Only - NO EXCEPTIONS!

At the bottom in small print was added:
Magical Tomes and Scrolls available by request and prior patron screenings. See Librarian Winifred to inquire.

FROSTCestrell

"In this case, i owe you my thanks, friend.", Akira stated as she brought her hands together in front of her once more giving the same respectful nod as she had given before.

Entering the library now fully, Akira stared at the sign for a couple of seconds before she eventually gave off a slight shrug. It didnt matter. If those were this houses rules, she would obey them as a guest should do. Searching for a place that gave off heat in order for her to dry up as time progressed, her eyes wandered through the room and its decoration, ultimatively landing on Winifred once more, her search failing to spot the desired object. A development which warranted further questions. Taking a step towards the librarian and giving off another sentence in her usual, somewhat authoretarian and somewhat soothing tone, she asked: "You seem to be well invested in your work. is there any topic in particular, which you aim to preserve for generations to come?", deciding to engage in smalltalk first, before asking for a warm place to stay at.

Goldie

Winifred glanced up at her guest again and gazed at her across the rops of horn-rimmed glasses and seemed to shimmer in the light, never quite settling on a single color. It was a particularly joy inducing charm that she loved placing on objects of otherwise mundane importance. It helped people feel her fae lineage if they couldn't immediately see it in her large ears and mouse-like nose.

Yes, only a fool would not see the fae, but most were fools. Naturally.

"Oh only the most important tomes known to our generations and the generations before us. This collection has been under my family's care for hundreds of years and we will continue to cultivate it. Our Fae ancestors demand the respect and I work tirelessly to honor them." She pushed her glasses up her nose and gazed at the guest a little more clearly.

"You aren't from here, my dear, are you? And you look chilled to the bone." She snapped the ledger closed, "Please, come, come, come." She gestured for Akira to follow her into the main library. They passed under large intricately carved arches that glowed with magical wards as living creatures passed underneath and the space opened into a vast room. A large, ancient tree grew right in the middle of the room and stretched up to a glass ceiling on the second floor right next to a grand staircase. The whole place looked as if it had grown from the forest itself and was filled with greenery and twisting vines, leaves, and interwoven branches that formed shelves, tables, chairs, and even a large imposing fireplace.