Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Listen to the Music [Open!]

Started by Zane, August 10, 2012, 02:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zane

Desmond had found his way to Arca, the beautiful capitol city of the beautiful province Kia's Court, and all of Serendipity for that matter. This was Desmond's third time in Arca. The first was to play in a music hall when he was finishing up his apprenticeship. The second was when he was desperately trying to get home after that fateful day in the bar a year ago, he learned then that the people here tipped well for good music. And now he  has returned, a true Troubadour.

After a quick chat with a roaming city guard, Desmond had learned that the second tavern on the main road had a piano. Boy are the people in for a treat tonight. Desmond played the piano better his old master. Not to mention he had been playing the piano since the age of eight.

I wonder how the old man is doing, Desmond pondered while walking down the dirt road, trying to get noticed by as many people as possible while conducting his business before the evenings performance. Anyone who saw the flashy clothes followed by the string instrument knew he was a Troubadour, and everyone likes troubadours. It's free entertainment, God forbid they should feel so inclined to give a tip.

Using the last of his money on more horsehair for his bow, Desmond decided to make his way to the tavern. The tavern keeper agreed immediately to let him perform there. Tavern keepers love troubadours, they are good for business. They only thing that wasn't pure profit was the occasional drink and the room to the musician.

"The piano fell out of tune a few years ago. I haven't bothered to get it tuned" The tavern keeper said when Desmond had asked.

"No bother, I know how to tune one."

About an hour later, Desmond had finished tuning the piano. Turning to face the rest of the tavern, he saw about four other people. he knew that more would show up a little later. News of a Troubadour spreads through a community like wildfire through a forest.

Pulling his violin and viola off his hip and setting them on the table, he went to work making sure they were tuned properly. When they were up to par with his expectations, he began playing.

[align=center:2n0pgf6z]"The way I see her dancing,
With flowers in her hair,
Her feet are always moving,
Her rhythm's always there,
If you should see her dancing,
I pray you stop and stare,
For tonight the dawn is breaking,
Tomorrow she's nowhere."[/align:2n0pgf6z]

The song was an old poem, Desmond just added music to the rhythm. There was no magic in the music, that would come later. Now he was just trying to keep the attention of the tavern's occupants.

Kai

Berriadan sat among the guests in the tavern, gazing at her drink with mild interest. It was a deep, rich purple, like the color of the tunic her mother used to wear. She frowned and pushed the wine away, her mood soured by the thought of her parents. She hated them. She didn't know why she hadn't run away before they had driven her to kleptomaniacy. When she looked down again her silverware was not on the tableware anymore, and her bag was barely heavier. Nobody had noticed, and the fork would not be missed.
A draft swept in as a wandering minstrel entered the room. She hugged her drab cloak closer to her body. Even though autumn had not nearly entered full swing, she was chilled by the breeze. That and she didn't want anybody to know who she was until after she performed in the street the next day. It added mystery to her performance if she remained as anonymous as possible. She idly allowed one finger to light with fire for a moment, then extinguished it before anybody noticed. The minstrel began his tune, and she listened, entranced by the words. The song practically described her. It would be perfect, if she could only get him to agree.
She slowly walked up to him when he was done and dropped a coin on the piano. "I was wondering if you would be interested in a partnership for tomorrow. I'm a performer as well."

Zane

A tip on the first song, tonight is going to be grand, Desmond thought. It also wasn't everyday that one meets a centaur. Placing the coin in his pouch, Desmond looked up to the woman, "Well I shall be in Arca for a few days. And any opportunity to gain tips is a divine opportunity indeed, count me in. But tonight the stage is set. Feel free to join me if you know how to play an instrument."

Moving from the piano he went to his violin. Desmond readied his bow and began playing a light melody. This song did have magic in it. The magic set to encourage people to be generous, not just with tips but with drinks too.

Kai

Berriadan allowed a crack of a smile to cross her face. "I do play a flute. I suppose I could play a while with you." The flute held many memories for her, most of them painful. Perhaps painful was not the right word, bittersweet hit nearer the mark. Her love had given it to her. The day after she had been forced to kill him.
When would these memories stop tormenting her? Most likely never. Some things cannot be erased with time.
It was a fine flute, made of polished wood with intricate designs running across it, sometimes meeting another ingraving, the two intertwining. It must have taken him months to create it. It had only taken her minutes to kill him. She shoved the thoughts out of her head. It would hardly do to dwell on it. The past was the past and could not be changed.
As the man scraped his bow over the strings of his violin, she took a deep breath and began playing. She had never learned the song, she only made it up as she went along. It allowed her to feel free from her past and her future, all that mattered was the moments that passed creating the music.

Zane

It took Desmond a minutes to sync to The centaur's flute. But once he did the music was beautiful. He allowed the magic to flow into the whistling of the flute. The effect was near immediate. Coins flowed into Desmond's money pouch as well as on the table next to the woman, and a brew found it's way onto Desmond's table. As the song drew to a close, Desmond was generally surprised as to what magic in two differing instruments could do.

Desmond looked over to the centaur. "Well played miss. MY name is Desmond by the way, could I have yours?"

Kai

Berriadan had made a pact with herself not to use her fire until her performance, but it was just too hard not to experiment with her abilities. She created a very thin flame, all but invisible to the human eye and devoid of its characteristic heat, and reached into a listner's purse. The flame, unfortunately, was not prehensile, so she put it out before somebody somehow noticed.
She glanced over to her left, surprised at the amount of money beside her. She stared in wonderment for a moment, then was snapped back to reality when Desmond asked hers. She had been so long without telling her name, afraid that she would develope a reputation. She had to come up with a lie, fast. "I'm-" She stuttered. "My name is Twilight."

Zane

She wouldn't make eye contact while she said her name. Oh well, Desmond thought. "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance Twilight. You play pretty well. How long have you been playing?"

Kai

Berriadan thought for a moment. How long had she played? As far back as she could remember she had played the flute. She had found a stick when she was small and poked holes in it. After useless puffing she had thrown it out the window. Still, she had figured i out eventually.  She laughed a bit. "Come to think of it, I'm not sure."

Zane

"Well you play well. I guess that's all that matters. Why don't you set up the song this time and I will join in." Desmond pulled his violin up to his chin then readied his bow.

Kai

Berrriadan nodded her agreement and picked the instrument up again. The tune was sad and slow, though not quite the tempo of a dirge. She didn't know why she played it. Perhaps it was because she had remembered her lover. She kept her face clear of any emotion.
When will these memories leave me alone? She wondered. When will they leave me? I suppose I deserve every minute of the pain.