Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Peace in Pieces (Remi) [M]

Started by quaggan, May 09, 2018, 03:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quaggan

That man was awfully loud. First he loaded himself inside, heavy armour clanging with his every move. Then he argued loudly with the bar owner, claiming that as a knight of the realm, he should get free drinks, or at least a discount. The owner in question - a sturdy woman with copper skin indicating Adelan descent - looked him straight in the eye and told him that if he wants special treatment, he can ask her dragon for it. The man quietly ordered a beer and paid full price.

"I didn't know you had a dragon" commented a gnome resting so comfortably against the counter, she clearly must have been a regular patron.

"Just for your benefit, Jael: I don't" the owner grinned. "But this idiot doesn't know it, and that's what counts. And if he orders two more cups of Burning Whiskey, he'll start seeing dragons all right."

The knight either didn't hear the admission, or didn't want to start a brawl over it. He plopped down on a chair with enough creaking to make one worry about the poor wood. "This week is just one nightmare after another. First I have to guard this cursed prince, now I can't even drink in peace..."

A travel-weary halfling sitting nearby raised her eyebrow at that. "As a knight of this kingdom, should you really speak of your prince in this manner?"

"What? Oh, 'cursed'?" He scoffed. "It's the truth, not just wishful thinking. He's literally cursed - and not by me, I barely have enough magical power to light a candle."

Remi

It was surprising how loud people could be, even when they had no idea who was in their presence. The loudest of the individuals in question was obnoxiously so; a big lout in armor that clinked and jangled almost as loudly as his voice did; it was probably no wonder that the half-elf hadn't been asked to remove her feet from the table- the establishment's owner and her poor staff had more than enough shit to deal with. Slouched lazily on her stool, feet propped up, enjoying a tankard of the establishment's cheapest, most bitter swill, she probably seemed like nothing more than just another face in the crowd, for the most part, enjoying listening to the barroom's banter and odd rumors.

She probably should have been seeing about lodging and looking for another job to take on, but she didn't often get the chance to just laze around and enjoy a drink. Until the rumors actually caught her attention (which didn't take all that long, actually) her only plans were to get completely trashed, maybe start a brawl and find somewhere to sleep. However, when the supposed knight mentioned a cursed prince, those plans came to an abrupt halt.

If this prince was truly cursed, well, she was more than willing to offer her services. After all, if there was any truth to the matter, there could have possibly been a small fortune waiting to be had-- right? With a careless shrug, Remi swung her feet to the floor and rose, stretching languidly and trying to screw her face into a bland, mild expression, rather than something that was amused, curious and as opportunistic as a jackal.

Sauntering toward the knight, she seated herself opposite him and rested her chin in one hand, fixing the knight with shrewd, pale grey eyes before introducing herself: "Name's Remi Tvastri and I couldn't help overhearing that there's a cursed prince in your care?" She paused to gesture at one of the bar wenches, instructing the woman to keep the alcohol flowing and handing her a few coins for her trouble before turning her attention back to the knight, "You were saying it's a real curse and not that you just don't get along with your charge? If you're looking to have his curse removed, I do believe I might be of assistance, if you can tell me anything about this curse?" It was extremely difficult to keep from coloring her words with profanity; but she managed to do so- for now.

quaggan

The knight looked at her with crusty eyes, hands still wrapped around the tankard of beer. Perhaps only now it occurred to the poor fool that blabbing around about sensitive matters was not a good idea. Fortunately, the alcohol he ordered was potent enough to already have an effect on him - or maybe he was too fed up to care at this point.

"Not in my care at this point. They probably have some other poor sod guarding him. I threatened to quit unless they changed my duties. The captain yelled at me, told me to go occupy myself while she changes the roster, and said that she'll discharge me herself if I pull something like this again. That stupid broad... I was a knight for three years and this is what I get?"

It took him a few more seconds to get back to the topic and answer questions posed to him. Was it the influence of the alcohol, of just a natural property of this particular man? If the latter, then the captain of the knights was a wise woman to get him out of her hair. "Yeah, it's a real curse. Either that, or the gods really have it in for him. Court Magus Linus says that it is a curse, and I guess she knows her stuff."

It took him a little longer to recall some details. The knights of this kingdom were clearly not recruited for their mental capacity, or he just wanted a few breaths of peace to sip more of the beer. "What can I say about this curse... Well, he's no longer allowed to hunt after the recent accident. Some people think he was aiming to murder his cousin, but the royal armsmaster swears that the bow was too short for any arrow shot from it to travel that distance..." He suddenly realized that perhaps he shouldn't assume that everyone has the same knowledge of bow physics, or the event in question, and hurried to explain. "An arrow he shot somehow ricocheted off a stone and hit his cousin. The scholars insist that it's incredibly improbable for this to happen. They probably did some calculations on that, too."

A serving girl came over with some more booze, giving him time to gather his thoughts and recall other occurrences. "And there's this whole thing with his touch turning everything to poison or... other. Once he tried feeding one of the dogs some scraps from his plate, but the dog just died, as if it was poisoned. And there's this whole cautionary tale told to new servants of how one recent hire tried to have a taste of some wine he left in his cup, and it killed her." He was getting started, recalling every strange event that he witnessed, or heard about.

Remi

Gods damn; if all it took to get a knight to spill his guts about sensitive matters was to make sure he was liquored up and to express some interest in what he had to say, maybe Remi should have taken on another job: that of an information-broker. She couldn't complain, though: some people didn't even like letting her know that she needed to set someone's broken bone; so just maybe things would end up going relatively easy, for once. It was too early to say for certain, though.

She gratefully accepted the glass of mulled wine from the bar-wench as she nodded and leaned forward, trying her damndest to feign interest and sympathy in the knight's side of the tale: "Who could blame you for wanting a change? It's not right for your bitch of a captain to make such threats against you! Your services should be valued, not dismissed so gods-damned easily!" It wasn't exactly easy to force herself to voice those words, but she did it nevertheless; all while sporting what she hoped was a sympathetic-seeming little smile.

Thankfully, it didn't take the man too horribly long to realize that she'd asked him a few questions- and it seemed like he was more than wiling to offer the answers she sought and then some. In a way, she found herself hoping the poor sod was just too pissed-off at his situation and drunk enough to not give a damn about spilling everything. That, at least, would make this country's knights as a whole not seem too incompetent. If it was simply that this guy was a natural blabbermouth though, she believed the knight-captain was definitely a smart woman.

When he actually began explaining what he knew about the nature of the curse, Remi didn't have to feign interest any longer; she was quite curious. While she reached the conclusion that it sounded like the prince may have been a bit of a clutz, the remainder of the details the knight regaled her with did indeed sound like a rather nasty curse. One that fascinated her the more he told her about it; before long, she found herself making a thoughtful sound in the back of her throat, leaning forward and trying to cajole the seemingly fairly slow, yet open knight to spill everything that might have possibly been of assistance to her. 

She accepted the serving girl's offer for more wine, listening in rapt attention to the knight's explanations. "Unfortunately, I can't say for certain what the nature of the prince's curse might be without being able to see what happens for myself; though I'm more than willing to do what might take to break it. Can you tell me if you remember seeing your prince near any suspicious-looking people, at any point? I don't mean just shady bastards, but sorcerers, demons; maybe even a strange piece of jewelry?" Though she hadn't exactly associated with nobility or royalty before and didn't think most members of either caste would really be fond of adventuring, if their prince fancied himself an archer of any degree of skill, maybe he'd found something "interesting" that could be the source of his misfortune? Even if the knight couldn't remember, or honestly didn't know, the answer to that line of questioning, it would help.

quaggan

The knight finished his beer, looking at her in a new light. "I'm sure the king and the queen would be mighty grateful for the help with the curse. Court Magus Linus was struggling with the task, so I'm sure she will welcome any help." He looked a bit more alive - either the booze was getting to him, or the perspective of bringing someone useful and perhaps being rewarded for it, has finally dawned on him.

He was staring inside his cup wistfully - either contemplating ordering another one, or combing his memory for an answer to the question. "I... don't know" he finally admitted. "I'm only a knight since three years, and the curse has been going on for far longer. You would have to ask someone who has been working for the royal family for far longer. And someone who can tell a sorcerer from a not suspicious person, and a strange piece of jewelry from... other ones."

His eyes glanced over Remi's rather varied collection of jewelry, from a simple and acceptable ring, to a more interesting ruby charm around her wrist, finally to the problematic bone spider. Apparently that was too much for him to establish a baseline of what she would consider strange, so he gave up. Clearly, that was too much thinking for his tastes.

Remi

Noticing that her glass was empty, she motioned the serving girl over and requested a final glass for herself, as well as a refill for the knight. It would take a great deal more than three glasses of rather weak wine to get her drunk and well, what was the harm in buying beer for the knight? "One can only hope you're right," She stated. She wasn't certain what the monarchs' stances on unsolicited assistance might be, but if lady luck was on her side, her pouches would be damn near overflowing when (and if) she was able to relieve their progeny of his curse.

For a moment, she let her mind wander; without having very much to go off of, it wasn't easy to begin trying to consider what the source of the curse might have been. The knight's voice pulled her back from her musings again though and she nodded in at least a measure of understanding. Three years really wasn't long enough to understand much of anything, unfortunately. Hell, for some of the women she'd given herbal painkillers to in the past, nine months hadn't been long enough for them to understand pregnancy. (It was a damn good thing that she was a healer and not a midwife!) "Ahh, completely understandable. That can't possibly be long enough to get to the bottom of every problem. Whenever you're ready, we can be off, if you'd like." That was presuming the knight was willing to have her tag along back to the castle, if that was where he'd eventually be heading-and that she wasn't just given instructions on how to get there.

She tilted her head and arched an eyebrow in silent question that might have come across as somewhat playful as she watched the knight eye her own meagre collection of jewels. The black opal set in her ring was for no reason other than she'd thought it was pretty, the ivory spider she fancied as a good luck charm; only the ruby was truly of any signifigance- and that was just protection against minor enchantments. She wasn't the sort to just come right out and explain that; it was usually more fun to keep others guessing.

quaggan

The knight was in the middle of downing the other beer when he heard her words. His expression changed - he was probably expecting a longer holiday from his job, and coming back to the captain early didn't sound pleasant. But apparently greed and cold calculus of profit won over love for alcohol and laziness, and he nodded reluctantly. "The journey to the capital and the castle will last two days - Astanill isn't a large island. Do you have a horse?"

The question was rather apt - perhaps the first smart thing the knight has said since entering the bar. The haven was not only the main point of departure connecting the island to the rest of Le'raana, it was also a semi-popular stop for ships traveling to and from Thanatos - a place to resupply, let sailors loose and rest before setting out again. Perhaps a more perceptive person would be able to tell without asking whether the one they were talking to was just a passer-by waiting for their ship to set sail, or someone intending on exploring the island and therefore equipped with appropriate means, but it was clear that the only skill he has proven to possess was blabbering.

Remi

She was a bit surprised that he was that quick to agree; however, she supposed it might have had something to do with an eagerness to see the isuse handed over to someone else; not that she minded at all. "That's not bad; not nearly as long as I thought it might take. Unfortunately, I don't; I haven't the funds to buy one,"

The last statement wasn't exactly a lie, but she wasn't about to also let on that she'd harbored a fear of horses since childhood. It was a really stupid fear that had taken hold when she'd been around thirteen: she'd accepted a rather stupid bet that she couldn't ride an unbroken and very young coursier. Being the brash and idiotic girl that she'd been back then, Remi had of course, accepted the bet, only to have been thrown and kicked by an extremely panicked three-year-old colt.

It was, however, a very reasonable question. When she'd arrived by ship, she'd noticed that the harbor had appeared to be an extremely busy port; there was no telling exactly who was departing or arriving at any given time. Even though the knight only appeared to be exceptionally good at knocking back his booze and conversing, she was guilty of endulging in the same whenever she could- when she wasn't just lazing around somewhere, or gambling.

quaggan

The knight frowned, considering his options. Since he demanded a discount on something as cheap and simple as a cup of beer, it was clear that renting a carriage, or even a second horse was out of the question - even if in the end the royal treasurer reimbursed him this expense, he probably didn't even have enough in the first place to take that risk.

"Walking can take a longer time" he warned her. Either he had no experience crossing the distance on foot, or any math that could yield an estimate more precise than 'longer' was beyond his cranial capabilities. "The horse can help carry the bags."

Remi

Remi ran a hand through her hair, thinking. While it would have been nice to have some potential pay in advance, the knight was not her potential employer; so she wasn't quite stupid enough to demand enough for anything of the sort. It was completely understandable that walking would only increase the amount of time it would take to arrive, but unless she'd just completed a job, carriages were typically well beyond her means. "It's unfortunate, but you're likely correct. Do you know how much longer it might take on foot? I could probably afford a donkey or mule to help carry our things, at least," she mused, "Unless there are merchants or farmers with a wagon, heading in the same direction?"

She didn't know what the knight might have though about catching a ride with traveling merchants or farmers, but it was what she could come up with, at the moment. Certainly a mule or donkey might have made the trek a bit slower, but she wasn't necessarily in a rush; of course, the fact that the knight didn't seem to know how much longer it would take to reach the palace on foot wasn't exactly expected. But if one wasn't known for giving much thought to anything, or perhaps accustomed to riding everywhere instead of walking, maybe he honestly didn't know?

quaggan

The knight fell into thought, tapping one dirty finger against the rim of the mug. The sound drew the attention of one of the serving girls, currently busy carrying some empty cups to be refilled. She looked annoyed - either the clayware was made out of stuff so weak that a few pokes could break it, or the sound simply annoyed her. Either way, she decided to take pity on them and offer some information. "Actually, there is one. Trademaster el Sapienza is scheduled to arrive here this afternoon - she reserved some rooms for her men ahead of time. I think she wants to visit the entire island, so she's probably will be heading to the capital as well."

"The tattooed lady?" another patron asked. "I think I saw her disembarking from one of the ships. If she is going to come here, she should arrive soon. Then you can ask her."

Remi

She nodded, toying with her wineglass for a few seconds, making a thoughtful sound in the back of her throat. Joining the merchant's caravan for a bit would mean she wouldn't have to spend her gold on a donkey or mule; so that meant she'd have some funds to gamble with. Which was always a perk, as far as she was concerned. Besides, she wasn't exactly in a hurry to get anywhere; unless she was on the run or very strict time constraints, Remi didn't usually rush anywhere.

"Thank you. I think trying to join her caravan would work fairly well," She mused, deciding it was probably worth her time to buy everyone a round of "the good shit." Which as far as she was concerned, was bitter, cheap and potent swill. Not because she was particularly generous at all, but because she understood the value of buying information; slipping a few extra silver to the serving girl who started bringing out the tankards.

quaggan

Ah, alcohol. A blessed nectar of the gods, and a sure way to get the population of any bar to cooperate and spill the beans on anything interesting, and hopefully useful. And the patrons of Scaled Wyrm Inn, while as diverse as one might expect from a gaggle of travelers evenly mixed with the natives, in this aspect were unified.

Of course, there were always the outliers who were too drunk to approach and turn their gratitude into something more substantial, but perhaps it was for the better. One sailor decided to repay her by letting her know where she can find the best brothel in the port, "and they even have their own healer, so all the girls are kept clean and healthy, you won't catch any pox from them!". It probably had nothing to do with the cursed prince, but at least now Remi would know which place probably wouldn't need her healing services.

Then there was a peasant who was sitting close enough to overhear the subject of the conversation - and, unlike the knight, he could keep to it. He described a two-headed calf one of his cows bore. Naturally, he blamed the cursed prince for this. After some inquiry, he admitted that the prince in question has never even visited his village, let alone encountered the cow. Either the curse was so powerful that it could affect things so far from its target, or the fool was just blaming natural accidents on whatever he could, as ignorant rabble was prone to.

The next source of information was a traveler who wasn't too familiar with either the island, its ruling family, or curses, but he had encountered trademaster el Sapienza before, and had a rather positive opinion of her. According to him, she was a part of a larger merchant family, and was known for her professional manner of handling her affairs. She was a part of a bigger network, and every now and then visited Astanill to supply its people with what couldn't be found on the isle.

Most information about the curse came from an older woman whose daughter allegedly worked in the castle. She mostly reaffirmed what the knight has said - about how the servants and staff avoided the prince, lest his curse affect them as well. But there was some new tidbits every now and then, such as how his clothes had to be mended more frequently than any other person in the castle - and the maids had a baseline of the youngest royal child, a rambunctious seven-year-old who made it her life's mission to climb everything she found, starting with the trees in the garden. If her brother's outfits tore more, either the curse affected inanimate matter as well, or the lucky prince had a very rough and impatient girlfriend.

A few travelers shared some enticing gossip from other islands - fun, but probably not relevant. A scarred orc with a curious accent and admirable grasp of the language related a slightly relevant tale of a man cursed to speak with his anus and defecate with his mouth - a lovely story to tell in an inn. Fortune decided to spare Remi from having to hear more of her tales, as when the orc took a break to order more ale, the door swung open.

The woman who entered must have been the aforementioned trademaster. She was indeed easy to remember, with an intricate pattern of tattoos covering her dark skin. The black lines swirled and branched in a rather fascinating, if distracting way. That was one way to ensure men's gaze wouldn't stray, at least not immediately. She was wearing an outfit clearly designed for practical travel - a snug pair of long leather boots reaching up to her knees, comfortable trousers and a leather vest. A perceptive eye would notice that it was kept in good condition, and probably wasn't something a poor person would wear - there were telltale signs of wealth. She walked with confidence and certainty, as one might expect.

She walked up to the owner, exchanging friendly smiles. "I see a few more grey hair on your head. Must be hard, running a tavern in a port."

"I swear, if I got a copper piece for every time some idiot wants free drinks, maybe I could afford giving them some!" she laughed. "Not that I'd waste money on that."

The trademaster took a small stack of papers out of the pocket and handed them over to the Adelan. "I got the responses to your letters." It really paid off to be friends with a merchant who travels a lot, apparently.

Remi

During her few hours' stay, it surprised the unconventional healer that a barroom brawl had yet to break out; that would have been fun to watch and just as much fun to join in- but she had nothing to complain about; alcohol was the only substance she knew of (other than narcotic herbs- and she wasn't about to share her current stash with everyone gathered) that could loosen tongues and lighten most peoples' moods. It was relieving to know that the brothel's girls probably wouldn't need another healer's services; most brothels usually had several gillies in her employ and healing all of them would have drained her immensely. While that particular tale didn't seem to be of any importance, with a devilish wink, she did promise the sailor she'd try to visit that brothel when she was finished with her potential job; she wasn't at all opposed to bedding a pretty girl, she'd done so a time or two in the past- and if the inn patrons' tales were any indication of just how demanding her job was going to be, there'd be no harm in treating herself later.

She was rather curious about the peasant's tale about his two-headed calf. That would have been something worth seeing, even though she didn't think it sounded like that calf was a result of the prince's curse. Unless it was far more powerful than she'd first thought. Without seeing the calf firsthand, she couldn't say whether it was a natural abnormality or not- and to make the peasant happy, she'd told him that she'd try to remember the way to his farm, that even though her fees weren't cheap and she didn't know how long it would take, she'd at least try to remember to look at it before heading back home.

Even if the traveler couldn't really offer any information about the island, curses, or the royal family, she was glad to hear what he had to say about the Trademaster. Not only did she sound like a very capable and impressive lady, but she was fairly certain that if the Trademaster did decide to allow someone else join her caravan for a short time, the journey might go at least relatively smoothly-- barring the usual threats that came to travelers, of course.

The older lady, she paid rapt attention to; it seemed as though the knight hadn't simply been spinning tales about a child he didn't like; his information and the woman's did match up in several regards. The additional snippets were definitely worth remembering as well; this curse definitely wasn't just some tale- and it would be entirely fascinating trying to figure out a way to cure it. Though it would have been quite easy to decide the state of the prince's clothing was probably due to having a ravenous, impatient beast of a girlfriend, which would have been the most logical conclusion to reach, she'd have to see for herself. She did ask a few more questions that weren't too difficult to answer; seemingly quite satisfied with the responses she received.

The island gossip was definitely fun and interesting to listen to; customs, festivals, places of interest that she more than likely would have stopped at if she hadn't been here on business. The orc woman's tale, despite being perfectly unpleasant, had her laughing uproariously. She could only hope the poor sod's predicament was nothing more than a tavern tale; she'd never heard anything about such a malevolent curse before!

Remi probably wouldn't have done more than give the newcomer a simple, passing glance; but going off the descriptions she'd been given, the woman had to be the Trademaster. The only real thing they'd played down was that she was quite the striking individual- extremely difficult to forget and though she wasn't bedecked in finery, she nevertheless did carry an air of wealth, elegance and power about her.

Remi would wait until she'd finished her exchange with the barkeep before rising and sliding one of her few remaining gold coins into a serving girl's hand, "Go ahead and bring her a glass of whatever she prefers; it'll probably help at least a little." With that, she'd make her way over to the bar and claim one of the stools for herself; waiting until  their conversation was finished before inquiring: "Trademaster? I've heard you might be planning on traveling the island when you're finished here? I'm trying to reach the capitol; would it be too impetuous to ask to join your caravan for that long?" It was probably clear that she wasn't trying to talk the woman into leaving immediately- and that she wasn't exactly a master of the fine art of small-talk. Though she would introduce herself and take the time to explain why she was heading for the palace. If nothing else, perhaps she knew where she might be able to rent a packmule for a reasonable price.

quaggan

The trademaster was downing a glass of a strange-looking blue fluid when the healer approached. "I assume I have you to thank for the drink?" she asked. "I wish more people with matters to discuss had your way of starting conversations."

There was no surprise on her face - either people asked this question a lot, considering safety in numbers and the armed guard her caravan had, or people weren't joking about her professional attitude. She cast a glance over Remi, thoughtfully. "Well, you don't look like a stranger to the road. Might I ask what calls you there? You don't appear to be native to this place..."

Remi

Holding a glass of spiced rum in her own hand, Remi couldn't keep from smiling at the trademaster's comment; "No thanks are necessary, but unfortunately, most people are too damned stupid to know how far a drink or a game of cards might get them," That was offered with a mischievous smirk; keeping up the overly pleasant act she'd maintained while gleaning what information she could had been quite difficult- and it was finally starting to slip.

While there certainly was safety in numbers, the half-elf healer normally preferred to travel alone; though that wasn't quite possible when everyone had seemed to be too drunk, incompetent, or deaf to point her in the right direction. Knocking back half of her rum in a few quick swallows, she decided it wouldn't hurt anything to let the lady know what her intentions were; she already seemed quite a bit more intelligent than the average tavern patron.

"Well, I came here looking to have some fun, but that's not the point. I overheard them," She would pause and gesture at the patrons, "Talking about some sort of curse, so I got to asking them about it; it seems that their prince is the one with that curse and it's causing one hell of a lot of problems. I'm not a stranger to removing curses and fixing what's desperately in need of repair, so I thought I'd see if there's anything I might be able to do," It probably went without saying that the thought of a rather large reward was her underlying reason for offering assistance, instead of just being a "good person," which she was not.

"They've all told me to go in different directions and I'll be damned if she," She'd pause again, gesturing at the orc, "Didn't tell me to jump into the sea and swim for its bottom." If the patrons had been believed, she would have made a grand tour of the island: visiting a couple of brothels, a blacksmith and a brewery, traipsing across the wilderness, venturing into caverns and visiting a couple of towns, diving to the sea-floor and even trying to board an entirely fabricated ghost-ship. It was all extremely amusing, but ultimately unhelpful.

quaggan

The trademaster chuckled at her tales. "Ah, the world would be a more beautiful place if it had half the wonder tavern patrons can come up with. I've heard of this curse, even escorted one interested healer there a few months ago... I assume your interest in that is professional?"

"We can make a deal" she began. "Usually, when someone wants to take advantage of strength in numbers and my guards, I request favours in turn - nothing too extraordinary, small services like cooking meals for the duration of the journey, et cetera. I'm not so desperate for profit that I would fleece poor peasants for their lives' savings! I haven't picked up a replacement healer yet since the siren incident. Our interests coincide - I'd be more than happy to provide you with all the safety my men can provide and appropriate comfort, if you agreed to temporarily serve us in this role. Of course," she acknowledged, "I am fully aware that escort alone is not enough to compensate for healing work. Here's what I propose: should the caravan be attacked and in need of your aid, I will pay... eighty-five percent of the usual wage. And if nothing happens, I will assume that your fortunate presence kept any problems at bay and we're even. Sounds good?"

Remi

"No shit, it truly would be!" The healer replied with a laugh; if the world had half of the majesty and wonder that drunks and children claimed it did, she'd probably have become a treasure hunter by now. "Do you know if they'd managed to reach a breakthrough of any sort?" Remi questioned; clearly the other healer had been unsuccessful, if the locals still talked about it, but if any new knowledge had been made public, that would have certainly helped, even if those attempts had resulted in horrific failure. "Indeed it is," She stated easily, in an uncommon moment of honesty. "I've got no interest in the throne, the curse fascinates me to no end- I've never heard of anything quite like it and I'd be glad to take on the challenge of at least trying to remove it."

Nodding, she mulled over el Sapienza's offer- and for the most part, it definitely didn't sound unreasonable at all. Though she would have to try her best and ammend their deal just slightly, if for no reason other than to make sure she didn't spend the majority of their journey unconscious, or worse.

"I'd have no problem with paying a favor in turn; but there's a small issue. My healing magic deals with repairing the mind and soul, relieving curses and handling the unliving, so I'd be more than happy to help by cooking and if a circumstance like that arises, I'll definitely assist. Other than that, I know herbalism and other battlefield work; fixing a bone, stopping someone from bleeding, stitching up a wound." Unless someone was on the verge of death; then she'd use her magic to heal them, regardless of the toll it took on her. "Because of that, if it's necessary, I can work at a reduced wage- but other than that, your terms are something I can agree to."

quaggan

The woman nodded and extended a hand to shake. "Then we have a deal. I'm Kallinike el Sapienza. It's nice to work with you." She ordered another mug. "Usually, I like to drink with new hires, to celebrate a successful partnership, but I have a feeling you haven't just walked into this bar, so if your professional rules forbid you from getting drunk with employers, I will respect that."

"We're going to set out in the morning - it would be rather cruel to my men not to let them at least spend one night in a bed, especially since I already paid for the rooms. Do you have accommodations here?"

Remi

She grasped the other woman's hand and gave it a firm shake; her own dry, rough and heavily calloused, "I'm glad to hear it and it's a pleasure to meet and work with you, Lady el Sapienza. I'm Remphaine Tvastri, though Remi is what I go by."

A mischievous grin split her face at the trademaster's explanation as she shook her head, "I'd have been raging drunk by now, if I hadn't been trying to get information from these asses," There was no malice behind that comment, "And I've got no rules against getting drunk or gambling with anyone, whether they're an employer, client, or otherwise," With that, she would order a tankard of "the good shit" and by that, she meant the establishment's most bitter, questionable swill.

"Not only cruel, but a waste of gold besides. I can be ready to head out as soon as you are- and I do." She'd requested the cheapest possible available room and had agreed that the stables would suit her well enough; Remi didn't sleep all that often and a nice, warm pile of dry straw usually suited her just as well as any bed would have. Sometimes even better than a bed would have, depending on just how inebriated she decided to get.