Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Out of the Old, Into the Same(DragonSong!)

Started by JackieCat, February 12, 2016, 09:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackieCat

OOC: Tags to @DragonSong!

Ishka was, frankly, very nervous.  For the past seven years she had a stable life, not a thriving one, but she knew what she would be doing the next morning, knew where she would sleep, where she would eat, and that, while she was lonely, she was not on the streets.

But now her former master, a minor Lord in Serendipity, had told her of another job that would be open to her, and that she would be a fool not to accept.

Ishka would have been perfectly fine with not taking the job and working under the same lord, but he was firing her, and that's why he had told her of another noble who was interested in a servant girl.  Her now-former master hadn't been a cruel man, but he had been quite harsh and unforgiving to her and all his subordinates, though now he was firing her due to a small slip-up she had made, and another woman whom he thought would do better in her place, despite the fact she had served him faithfully for seven years.

But he had suggested another job to her, and now she was her way to her new employer's home, and the place she would from then on spend her time.

The residence wasn't far from her former masters mansion, so she walked, not that she had the money to travel any other way even if she wanted to, her few belongings in a small bag over her shoulder, the most important among them her sketchbook and her few pencil stubs, as she had no money for ink or a pen.  She walked up to the servants entrance and knocked on the door.  It was opened by a middle aged man dressed in simple clothes.  Ihka curtsied politely.

"I am Ishka Vallire, Sir, and I was told that there was a job here I could have."

The man nodded and smiled. "There is, just come inside and I'll get you acquainted."

"Thank you, sir," Ishka said, following him inside the estate.  As he showed her around the house he explained what her duties would be, she found them much the same as her last job, though this house was much nicer and more inviting.  She did not glimpse any people who seemed like they could be the owner of such a mansion, and Ishka wondered what kind of people she would be working for now.  She hoped they would not be heartless, but considering she only had experience with one kind of master, she didn't really know what to think.   All she knew of her employers was their names, which the man,whom Ishka learned to be a head servant named Seerit, told her.

When he finished showing her around Seerit, who was actually quite kind and friendly, showed her to where she would be staying.

He left and she set her things in the small chest next to her bed.  Her quarters were very similar to those she had had previously, though slightly larger and nicer.  Three female servants would share a room, and Ishka's bed was nearest to the window.  Once her things were stowed away, Ishka went to the window and peered out.  Her window was looking out the side of the manor, but she could just see around the corner of the house to the front yard area, where a rider was just coming in.

Ishka stepped away from the window and sat upon her bed, sighing.  This job would be much the same as the last one, if not worse, as she had no idea who her masters would be.  It would be boring, tedious, and lonely, except now she had to completely adjust to the unfamiliar surroundings and unknown people who may or may not be cruel. 

Ishka did get her hopes up.
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

DragonSong

Riding back onto the manor grounds, Mikhail couldn't help being a little showy as he urged his horse to circle around to the back of the building and jump a few hedges in the gardens before finally trotting the normally placid gelding back toward the stables, dismounting and handing him off to a waiting stable hand.

He'd barely taken two steps into the manor when he heard a very dry, "Got that out of your system, have you?"

He made a face and turned to look at his little sister, who was standing a bit further down the hall with her arms crossed and one eyebrow arched. "I'm gone for three days and that's the welcome I get?" He clutched a hand dramatically to his heart. "You cut me to the quick, Reina."

She rolled her eyes, but a smile twitched at the corner of her lips. "You are patently ridiculous."

"Am I?" With a wicked grin he lunged forward and wrapped his arms around her waist, lifting her into the air and spinning her around despite he small shriek and wriggling protests. "Ah, it is so good to be home, sister dear," he said, laughing, when he finally put her down.

"You're an idiot," Reina chuckled, shoving at his shoulder. "And now you've gone and made a scene. You'll be scaring the new girl."

He quirked an eyebrow. "New girl?"

She nodded. "Seerit's hired someone to fill the slot Dara left. And she looks like a mousy little thing already, I caught a glimpse when he led her past the library. The last thing the poor girl needs right now is you."

Mikhail protested that, but his mind was turning the new information over. He tried to be friendly with the servants. Perhaps he should make a point of meeting this new girl.

JackieCat

'Well, best get to work,' Ishka thought, standing up.  She went to the window once more to look out, and saw the young man who had been riding the horse talking to a young woman.  Ishka assumed them to be the masters of the house.  They didn't look so bad, though one cannot judge a book by its cover.

Seerit had told her to take all the time she needed, within reason of course, to put away her things and get settled, so Ishka splashed her face with the water in the basin by the door and redid her bun after changing into her other dress, which wasn't dusty from walking.

She walked out of her quarters and downstairs into the kitchen, where Seerit had told her to report to.  It was nearing noon, and the cook was starting to prepare lunch.

"Oh, hello!" the cook called out to Ishka as she entered the room.  "You must be Ishka!  Welcome!  You can start on those carrots there!"

Ishka nodded and went over to the pile of whole carrots and started to chop them.  Next to her, a young ma was cutting up onions. "Hello," he said, smiling cheerily. "You're Ishka, right?  I'm Dillin."

Ishka smiled faintly and nodded again, but truthfully, she was rather overwhelmed.  The first place she had worked, the other servant hadn't been unfriendly  , but they hadn't been very kind either.

This happy atmosphere reminded Ishka of something, and a lump caught in her throat as she realized what it was.  Her family.  She blinked back her tears,  The last seven years, she had pushed thoughts of them back, so she wouldn't feel even more like she wanted to go back, but this was all so familiar, not even the house , no, her family hadn't been rich, but the happy atmosphere, the people who actually seemed to like their lives.

It was a half hour later and lunch was nearly finished being made.  Ishka couldn't help it, her hopes were getting up.

"Okay, people!" The cook yelled, clapping her hands. "Let's take this food out!"

Ishk was among those serving, and she took a plate of food and walked from the kitchen.  Now was the time she would be able to assess her employers.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

DragonSong

Mikhail found his parents int he parlor to inform them he was home and give them a proper greeting, and of course found himself roped into a game of chess with his father. His mother said she was going to find Reina and slipped out.

"Check mate," he said sometime later with a rather cocky grin, leaning back in his chair.

Lord Bartok mock growled at him, but conceded with a nod, flicking over his king. "You are getting better, Misha. I must admit I'm impressed."

He frowned a bit at the pet name, but before he could really protest his sister appeared in the doorway. "Lunch is ready," she said brightly, "Mother wants us all in the dining hall."

"Coming, coming." The two men stood and followed her out, winding through two hallways to arrive at the rather grand room with a table set toward the back wall. The lady of the house was already seated, and her family took their places with the ease of long practice.

Mikhail found himself searching through the servants for an unfamiliar face, wondering if the new addition to the household would be among those serving... Aha!

"You," he called to the rather mousy girl bearing a tray. "I don't recognize you. What's your name, Miss?"

JackieCat

Ishka nearly had a heart attack when the young man addressed her, and asked for her name!

Ishka took a breath. "Ishka, sir," she said, keeping her head down.  She wanted to rush back to the kitchen, but she carefully and steadily set the plate she was carrying down on the table.

After a moment she calmed down a bit more, it had mostly been the initial shock that an employer of her's would actually say something to a new servant.  In her former master's house, she hadn't been talked to by her then-new master for over a month after she worked there, and the new servants were never asked for their names.

Apparently this place was very different, she would just  have to get used to it, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

Ishka left the dining room, only to return a few moments later with another plate laden with food, which she also set on the table, the other servants doing the same.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

DragonSong

"Ishka," Mikhail repeated, eyeing her curiously. She seemed almost afraid of him.

As the servants moved away, Reina shot him a look and said, "I told you that you were only going to frighten the poor thing."

He wrinkled his nose at her. "I'm just being friendly, it's not my fault if she's skittish."

"She's probably just settling into her new role," their mother said peaceably, smiling as more food was brought out.

Mikhail shrugged, smiling in turn at the servants. Quite unable to help himself, he addressed Ishka when he spotted her again. "Is Dillin back in the kitchens? Tell him he owes me a rematch at that card game of his," he said, ignoring his sister's scoff and his father's soft, indulgent chuckle.

Of course, he could have passed the message through anyone else, but she'd caught his attention.

JackieCat

When the young man spoke to her again, Ishka was not surprised, and she nodded. "Yes, sir."

The young woman went back into the kitchen and over to Dillin, whom she informed of what Mikhail had told her to tell the young man.  Dillin chuckled. "I'll beat him just like last time!"

Ishka couldn't help but be amazed, a master playing cards with his servant?  In her old home, such a think would have been unthinkable.  Soon they were done serving, and she helped clean up in the kitchen.

When lunch was over Ishka and the other servants went out to clear the now empty plates.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

DragonSong

"So, Misha," Reina said as their plates were being cleared, leaning forward with a rather wicked twinkle in her sky blue eyes. "Tell us, how was your stay at the Wrothtars'?"

Mikhail shot her a glare as their mother shifted and narrowed her eyes at him. "I thought you were on a hunting trip with Liam. You never said you'd be staying with them." Reina smirked and muttered something about it not being Liam her brother was interested in staying with.

He shrugged, waving a hand in an attempt to play it off. "We were, mother. I simply spent the night in their country home last night rather than in the woods, that's all," he said reassuringly, aiming a rather childish kick at Reina under the table.

And missed, clipping the new servant girl instead. Damn. "Oh, do excuse me, my apologies," he said hurriedly.

JackieCat

Ishka was about to pick up a n empty plate from the table, when she was-kicked?  She jumped, and then Mikhail started to apologize.

"Oh, it's no problem, sir," she said quickly.  "It was my fault, I should have been watching where I was going."

She picked up the plate and rushed into the kitchen without making it seem like she was fleeing, which she was.  But the time she was in the safety of the kitchen, her face was burning red.

"What's the matter?" Dillin asked her, but she waved him off. "Oh, it's nothing, really!  I just made a mistake."

Dillin raised an eyebrow, but didn't press.  When Ishka was sure her face was no longer on fire, she debated whether or not to go back out.  It was her duty to serve, and, now, clean up the table, but . . .

Luckily, by the time she had decided to go back out, the other servants had already finished clearing the table, so Ishka didn't have to go out again right then.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

DragonSong

Mikhail watched the girl scurry away with a small frown, hardly able to get a protest out that really, it had been his fault before she was gone.

"Does anyone know where she came from?" he asked the table curiously, and was met with shrugs and murmurs of denial. "Hm. Definitely a skittish little thing." He sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

He supposed he'd have to track her down and apologize properly now.

JackieCat

The rest of her time in the kitchen was rather uneventful, she helped to clean up, and after that Seerit instructed her that her job now was a rather simple one, laundry.  She was still mostly unfamiliar with the whole layout of the manor, and she wouldn't need to know where everything was to do the laundry.

She left the kitchen to go to a broom closet that Seerit had given her directions to.  Inside she found a washbasin, which she brought to the laundry room after filling it with buckets of water and some soap.  Then she left the laundry room to get the actual laundry.  She wasn't just going to be washing dishcloths and sheets, but the actual clothes of her employers.

She first got Lady Reina's dirty clothes from her room, then the Lady's parents, and lastly she went to Lord Mikhail's room.

When she got to the door she could already feel the blush forming on her cheeks.  She told herself that he probably wouldn't even remember he had accidentally kicked her, and he may not even be in his room!

Ishka knocked on the door.  If he wasn't there, she would just gather his dirty clothes from the hamper and then go about her work.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

DragonSong

Absorbed in a book, Mikhail was lounging back on a chaise in his room when the knock came. "Come in," he called distractedly.

JackieCat

Ishka opened the door hesitantly when he answered her knock, and stepped into the room.  Lord Mikhail was reading a book, and Ishka went over to the hamper.

"Just gathering up the laundry, sir," Ishka said, though she would have rather stayed silent.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

DragonSong

He looked up. "Oh, it's you!" Standing, Mikhail moved toward her with an apologetic smile. "Look, I really am sorry about before. I was being childish, and my sister-" He cleared his throat. "Anyway. Forgive me. Are you alright?"

JackieCat

Ishka turned towards Mikhail and took an instinctive step back as he stood.

"It's fine," she said, her head down. "I wasn't looking, I should have been more careful. . . and, yes, I-I'm fine."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

DragonSong

"Lass." He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I'm not going to bite you or anything, you don't have to be so skittish, you know." Mikhail shook his head and smiled at her. "It was my fault, you did nothing wrong. Please accept my apology?"

JackieCat

Ishka didn't know what to say to that.  She bit her lip, then slowly looked up at Mikhail, but she avoided his eyes.

"Thank you, sir." she wasn't sure that that was the right thing to do, but she didn't know what else to do. "I-," she hesitated, should she go on?  "I accept your apology."

She shouldn't have done that, she should have kept her mouth shut, but it was too late now.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

DragonSong

Mikhail grinned at her. "Thank you. See, that wasn't so bad, was it?"

Turning away as though that settled the matter, he plopped back into his seat and reached for his book. "Seerit stuck you on laundry duty then I see?" he said casually, not even bothering to look up as his eyes skimmed the page for his place. "Don't worry, they'll move you to something else by the end of the week at the latest. If you like working outside, I'm sure Layla could use some help in the gardens..."

He trailed off when he found where he'd left off in the book and his brow furrowed slightly as he picked up reading again.

JackieCat

Ishka was baffled by his response, as he sat back down and found his book, talking to her as if she wasn't his servant.

Ishka blinked a few times then finished gathering up the laundry.  When she returned back in the laundry room, Dillin was there.

When he saw the look on her face he laughed. "I see you've properly met Lord Mikhail?"

"Yes," Ishka said, frowning. "He's-he's so different from my past employer."

"Isn't he?" Dillin chuckled, and they got back to the laundry.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

DragonSong

Mikhail glanced up when she left, chuckled to himself, and returned to his book.

Mousy young woman she may be, but he rather liked her. Hopefully she'd warm up to her life here soon.