Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Vague Vagabonds

Started by visualspice, June 10, 2022, 02:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Ooc: tags to @LostSoul

---

Somewhere along the veined forests between the capital and Selevea, a man had been traveling alone. It wasn't an entirely uncommon occurrence, not many needed a second man for brief travel, but regardless of why the risk was accepted did not make the choice any less dangerous.

The fact he was on horse back and most of his tall body was wrapped in a hooded cloak was no more less of a deterrent than the fact he himself was alone. Obvious sword aside, one man against many was never a favorable odd for the one. But still, the horse rider carried on with confidence and at a brisk pace.   He had places to be and although rare even a man such as himself would travel on his lonesome, he took the risk nonetheless.

If you've been born and raised into the world such as he, you has a certain confidence and awareness that's second nature- and you always make things appear not as they seem. Alone yes, helpless he was not, for the man had plenty tricks up his sleeve to use in case the path he took proved more troublesome than it was worth.

It was for this reason he knew the bandits were coming well before they decided to strike. He contemplated shaking them off his trail, but didn't want to waste the resources when the group following him was ten or less men. Perhaps if they'd have had more men he'd be more concerned or cheated and simply would vanish from their trail.

But as midday crept over head and the trail lead to a much more steeping road, Opus Dey took note that the men following him cut in half, moving through the tall brush to his left and right. 3 and 4... he was able to count better at how many there were because of how sloppy they had been.

He supposed he'd let them get close enough to try and rob him, he was getting bored anyhow and was itching for a fight. One had to keep themselves in top shape when you spear headed a lot of men like those who dare harm him now. So he smiled and stopped his horse, its tail swishing about anxiously as thr man's hawk like eyes observed the fools closest to him.

But it was the one in the tree he spoke to.
"I wouldn't try that if I were you."

There was an awkward pause of silence. He could tell the men following were communicating between the split groups and the man in the tree. He waited patiently on the path, horse looking around towards a movement in the grass.

Then a man stepped out from behind a thicket, two men actually- an action that was smart enough, he supposed. Both of them had their swords raised, but Opus had his second eye on the one with the crossbow in the tree.

""I'm not sure you understand how this works," the bandit drawled,  dark eyes glittering as he gave a smile full of half missing teeth. "You see, chum, we got the numbers." He went on, the opposing group stepping forward while producing their blades. "And the blades besides. It seems you.." he went on, jovially. "Have a rather nice horse we would much like to take."

Opus debated humoring them or letting them eat his dust. The horse would be a fair prize, as magically enhanced as it were. But Opus Dey was hardly planning on losing any of his property that day, horse or other wise.

"Yes, It's a very fine horse bred well as a trail mate," Opus confirmed. "I don't much blame you for eyeing him as a prize. But as I stated earlier to your tree friend, I wouldn't do this if I were you."

The leader's eyes glistened, his greedy smile smug and he guffawed when Opus pressed for the men to back down.

"Seems we got ourselves an uneducated gentleman, " the leader went on, casually strolling closer towards man and horse, his men close at his heels with blades . "Or maybe he's def?" He cocked his head to one side and spat. "We's getting your horse. So I suggest you get off it... now."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

LostSoul

Godfrey was marching on the road, he was a richer man then he ever had been, but he knew not how to ride a horse, and horses were expensive. If he was going to get anything, it would be to increase his protection, and that he did.

New plate, nicely polished (he spent the entire day polishing it until he could see his smile, he was so proud). He did think it would be heavier, but it wasn't so bad, must be because he's used too his chain mail and this was barely a burden. A heavy sack on his back, upgraded from his once simple sack jangled heavily with supplies, lanterns, including one underwater candle...one he would keep as a reminder of a promise, a journal in his sack as well, only 200 more days to go, only 200 more.

He walked with an even stride, scratching at one of his own scars, claws from some poor mutated creature, should of cleaved all the way through, he was able to turn his head fast enough that it only grazed his cheek, the poison almost killed him, once again lucky, the poison is what killed most of those people...almost put him in the grave.

He shuddered at the thought, his heavy iron shod plated boots walking quickly across the road. He was growing used to the horrors he fought, in fact, it hardened him, the more they said he couldn't he would, no one would deny him his dream, his goal, only death would stop him and even then it had yet to take him...yet. He knew he mortal, his day would come...but today was not today. His armor jangled, his shield rapping against his chain lightly, the chain rattling against his polished chest piece, his plated shoulder joints and elbows, even his lightly plated gloves. It brought comfort and white noise to ease the journey, even sometimes heat.

He stopped as he heard voices, voices? Where? He looked about, until spotting someone in the distance on a horse, oh he might as well head over, hear what news the man had, and if not news, then he might have some information, it had been a day or two of traveling since he fought the abominations away from that poor village. He grinned, the fields finally growing when he left.

He started to make his way over, a confident stride over, coming up in front of the man, he went to wave as he turned the corner, lossing him cause of a hill, he was standing with a couple of others.  He counted, two, weapons out, huh...bandits it seemed. He looked the man over, tall, traveler of sorts. He shrugged, and kept walking over with a wave.

"Lo thar! See ya be needing some help thar?" he asked, as he kept walking, not aware of the man in the tree, only the two in front.

"Ought ya be ashamed? Two on one? Poor man only has his cloak and horse lads, I know them horses are expensive, but any of ya actually handled a horse before? Tempermental beasts I'll have ya know." he said with a grin drawing his sword and shield, sword resting on his shoulder lazily. It was well cared for, but knicks on the side of the blade and the dull of constant sharpening showed its use, and it has seen plenty. The voice was thick with country, not yet dulled by his travels, nor would it, it was a piece of home he would never remove, ever.

He kept his stride forward, chain still jingling, a grin on his face as he winked at the traveler then back too the other two, glancing between, stopping a little ways, not wanting to be  suddenly attacked by sword, and despite his lazy stance, he was in rest, and waiting, who knows what a bandit would do, desperate folk they were.

"Now, hows about ya scatter? Much better ways to get food and coin then robbing poor strangers eh?" he said raising a brow, despite others insisting, he never got a helmet, just a simple chain coif, he wanted to see, and wanted all to see who he was. Be it enemy or friend, be it executioner or friend.

visualspice

The man on the horse lifted his chin ever so slightly, the only indication he heard the traveler. But the bandits surely heard him, the pair laughing at his demands just as two othersGodfrey hadn't seen stepped closer. The four visible men were armed and rough looking, smiling through mean sneers as the leader looked to Godfrey.

"I don't think you understand,bloke. We don't play by no rules. And if yous was smart, you'd carry on now then and have yourself a plenny day."

If the man on the horse seemed concerned one way or another, he didn't show it. He merely sat on his horse, appealing only mildly interested in the fanfare before him.

"Now.. " he turned to Opus, rolling his shoulders and pointing out his blade menacingly . " Get off the horse."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

LostSoul

He kept walking, his eye twitching as he saw two more, one had a cross bow. That was dangerous, some swords, sure, he had chain mail and some fancy plate, cross bow's don't stop that.

He suddenly charged forward, shield up towards the cross bow men. His smile gone replaced with seriousness, he gave a chance, he would give more, but thats a crossbow. He kept running shield up, sword  at the ready.

Once he gets there, he would run straight into the man, a shield charge, allowing the man to bounce before going to face the other, sword at ready to parry. At least it wasn't trolls.

visualspice

Well.. that escalated quickly. Before he knew it, a fight broke out, the strange new comer charging the far side enemy. Not the best tactic, but it left Opus dealing with the swords.  The crossbow man in the tree not lost to him, Opus finally swung into action the moment he was charged, unsheething his broad blade and steadying his grip on the reins.

He timed his swing perfectly,  cutting the bandit leader's arm from wrist to shoulder,  the wound a wicked sting that forced the bandit to his knees as he dropped the blade and cried out in pain.

That's when the crossbow was unleashed, bolt whistling from the tree straight towards Opus Dey's head. But it never hit the man, in fact it seemed Opus hadn't even moved as the bolt raced past him. And sunk into the face of the second swordman who simply fell to the ground- dead.

LostSoul

A bolt wizzed into his shield, sending splinters and almost piercing his arm, at least the shield stopped it before that. He kept moving, crashing into the figure, sending it sprawling as he turned to the other, his sword faking cutting down in a feint as it instead moves across horizontally across the throat, the motion smooth, leaving the man to bleed out as he turns around, eyes going wide as he see's a bolt, not another one.

He grins, seeing the man has dodged as takes his shield off his arm and goes to throw it like captain American at the leaves, he may not hit anyone, but at least he'll disrupt whomever is shooting before running over and toward the tree, glancing to make sure the man was alright regardless of what happened, who knows what could happen in the heat of battle.

visualspice

The thrown shield threw off the man in the tree, haven't not expected that but when Godfrey made it close enough that he was practically touching the tree, the man withdrew a dagger from his boot and aimed it at Godfrey's head. Using that distraction, he then leapt from the tree upon the farmer, drawing a second dagger and swinging it at Godfrey's skull.

LostSoul

Godfrey kept making his way over, a slight jog with  a grin, no more bolt, so that wa- dagger!

He stopped running, moving his head to the side for the dagger to bounce off his shoulder, so close that it cuts a few hairs and almost knicks the ear. Then the guy jumps out the tree, it seems these were no ordinary bandits, but suicidal bandits.

Deciding to stubbornly stand his ground he swings his blade to meet the leaping bandit head on while ducking his head, hopefully he doesn't die, sword in two hands as he swings, teeth gritted, it was here and now.

visualspice

The attacker let out a cry of pain as the sword sliced across his face, forcing him to now blindly swing at Godfrey as blood blinded his face

Meanwhile,  Opus Dey was equally occupied, growing bored parrying the bandits attacks and he kicked one Godfrey's way... for fun. Might as well use the brute that showed up and keep his own blade clean and sharp.

LostSoul

He ducked, moving like a blur for a moment, woah, he must be getting faster with all that training, the bandit flying over him, he glanced as another stumbled his way, still moving just as fast he move to lunge with both hands into a might stab, aiming to pierce the heart, the motion smooth and practiced.

He whistled at himself, all that fighting with giant monsters must of made him a lot faster, good thing he needed it, back to helping this poor man with the bandits, at least he was doing alright himself, he would hate to see the stranger get hurt, poor guy most be a refugee making his way over or a travelling wanderer, no worries friend, Godfrey will see you safe!

visualspice

Opus so generously left the remaining bandit for Godfrey.. turned out, he didn't have to. Pity. The last bandit swore at them and turned heel to run. Apparently seeing the rest of the men getting slaughtered or maimed had the opposite effects if an ego boost.

"Coward," Opus muttered before turning to face his helper.
The young man was short, eyes still with the fighting shine of youth. He estimated the warrior to be younger than his sister.  He politely inclined his head.

"Thank you for your assistance.  Bandits aren't the brightest these days." He stood there casual as if the fight never occurred, dusting off his sleeves and pants while readjusting his riding gloves. "I suppose you'll want some compensation for your trouble?"

LostSoul

He stabbed deep, meeting the dying mans eyes and seeing the light fade, he wasn't sorry, may he be better in the next life.

He pulled his sword out and going to clean the blade, flicking what ever remained before going over to help the refugee. A grin spreading, well look at that, one of them had some sense and fled. He nodded before going to clean his sword with a dirty cloth "Well look at that, got a pretty mean sword arm ser." he says  before sheathing said sword and looking for his shield.

He frowned unable to find it before looking it up, it was stuck in the tree, he scowled before looking back as the man spoke. He did a bow before looking back up, grinning from ear to ear.

"Yar welcome ser! Aye they aren't, desperate folk they be now days." he said nodding before his brows shot up and he shook his head

"Nay nay, ya be travelling same as me, nay need to pay me at all ser, just glad to be of help, ya probably need the money anyway in yar traveling, rough on the pouch it is." he said before looking up, and mentally screaming at the repairs his shield would need...AGAIN!

He looked back with a grin, his eye tightness obviously frustrated at his shields displacement

"Godfrey by the way be the name, now if ya will excuse me, I got a shield to fetch." he said before going to climb the tree and let the man get on traveling if he wished, the branch snapped as he hit the ground with a thump. He scowled, it would seem he would need to undress to be light enough to climb the tree.  He frowned, damn bandits making him throw a shield.

visualspice

The young man was far too easy to read.. far too eager it seemed. He was surprised the boy wasn't a soldier,  but he supposed their disposition was probably too temperamental for it. Although when he rejected the coin he found himself smirking. 

"I insist. You risked your neck. Those bandits could have hurt you or worse."
Truthfully,  it wouldn't have bothered him in the slightest. The man did choose to throw himself into the fray. He wondered if his sword would have crossed his own if the traveler had arrived later,  and Opus Dey would have already dealt with most of the men himself? He smiled inwardly at that.

Good and bad was all about perception.

LostSoul

Godfey was still pulling off his armor as he looked over, brows raised "Well, if yar insisting then I nay gonna stop ya ser, but me thinks ya need it more then me, ya could get jumped again ya know." he says as armor hits the ground clanking. Now dressed in a peasant clothing as he jumped into the tree, climbing up to get the shield.

He's surprisingly fast as he disappears into the leaves, some shaking see's the shield fall, a bolt sticking out of it as he hits the ground on his feet near his shield picking it up with a grin before glancing at the unnamed cloak

"Say! Whats ya name ser?" he asks  before walking over to his pile of armor that was in a disorganized heap. He frowned, now he would have to sort it to put it on again. He scowled as he sat down, getting to work on that front, sometimes glancing to the man as he sorted.

visualspice

Opus Dey decided he liked the man. He seemed well enough and he'd pay him well, too. One could never create too many alleys on the type of world he lived.  He patiently waited as Godfrey began to suit up again.  The polite thing to do would be to keep the unarmored man's back while he was vulnerable.

"Opus Dey, a pleasure to make your acquaintance, " he said, Offering out a hand for him to shake.

LostSoul

Godfrey got dressed, taking longer than average with the straps, the plates came with them, and he wasn't used to it yet. He finally turned grinning as he took the man's arm in his.

"Well met thar! Hope ya don't mind me noseyness but what ya off too? Only small places about  here."
He responding hooking a thumb behind him.

visualspice

The traveler seemed harmless enough (killing bandits aside), but even still,  Opus didn't know the man and apparently, if the other knew him he had a terrific poker face. Best be careful with this one.

"I have business in the area. Just passing through," he answered.  "I suppose the same for you? Unless that is, of course, you live in one of these 'small places'."

Opus had already meticulously cleaned his own weapon and put it away. Talking to strangers was always interesting. It was a role of the die to see if a man was friend or foe. The name the adventurer had given to him hadn't rung any bells, so it was easy to presume he was a man of little consequence- atleast on the global playing field. But Opus didn't get to be where he was today without questioning the little folk. You never turned your back to anyone.. not even children. Not everyone was as they seemed.

He'd tuck the man's name in the back of his memory and look into him later if he felt it necessary.

LostSoul

Godfrey would nod, traveling just traveling it seems.

He grinned "I'm on me way to the city, off to find someone and talk to the local lord about this, towns a wee bit undefended from creatures, and nay guards to help, feels like corruption from what I've seen people shouldn't be this poor out here, real shame it is...so much potential, and so many starved or dead."

he said frowning before laughing and shaking his head

"Nay nay, Yalthnea would have a heart attack to see people so frail and starved, live farther away from this place, much more in the country  Mr. Opus, I'm here to help out, make some coin." he says nodding his head as he cracked his back like a twig ready to snap before pointing down the road.

"Nay sure whar ya going, but keep heading that way, don't go down towards the smaller towns, still getting patched up from bandits and won't have anything ta offer for rest sadly, bandits and hill giants did quite a number on the places,  but if ya keep an even pace, ya can make it too an inn by nightfall untouched by all the mess." he says before looking back with a grin. Hoping it helps the lad, who knows, he may just save the poor man's life, and the way was clear of bandits...far as he could tell.

visualspice

He regarded the man, impressed by his openess to help.
"That's very useful information, thank you." He went on with a nod. "And , Yalthnea..." he pursed his lips at the name. "Is that the big woman goddess? "

LostSoul

Would nod, going to go on his way before stopping and turning, eyes wide before he grinned.

"Ya know of her! SOMEONE KNOWS OF HER!" he says as he starts laughing, cheering. THERE WAS MORE! SOMEONE ELSE KNEW!

He laughed hard and long, tears of joy.

"I thought that she was just some forgotten relic about these parts! Lo and behold! Here ye are knowing who she is!" he says in complete joy.

"Ye worship her as I or just heard about her? And if so, from who?" he asked curiously, hands on his chin as he rubbed in curiously, taking an even better liking to the stranger, why? Simply cause he knew, that gets points in his book where everyone else just praising some other gods, like, jeez.