Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Runner's Society

Started by Zane, November 15, 2012, 07:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zane

Okay so I was doing some looking around while taking a break from writing on my manuscript and I noticed two things. 1) we have quite a few large cities in our world (Reajh, Uthlyn, Arca, Selevea, Ketra to name a few) and 2) We have a distinct lack of a continental Courier system (Used for international mail and transportation of important documents between governments) Enter...

The Runner's Society

The Runner's Society is a organization of couriers that are trusted in nearly all governments that was formed about 60 years ago when the nations realized that they needed an effective form of communication between one another. In the beginning, each individual nation owned it's own portion of TRS which led to a rather ineffective system. Ten years after it's formation, each branch of TRS signed a petition against their host nation and ceased all productivity until they earned their right to be it's own independent organization, what followed was a series of non-violent protests that eventually led to TRS being named an independent group in all nations. After which the effectiveness of TRS as a whole more than tripled and grew into the well know and used system it is today. Marked by Black pants and and a white long sleeved shirt with one red or blue sleeve. Flag one down if you have am important document and a destination. The Runner's Society has no official leader and consists of two ranks, neither which has more leverage than the other.

The Runner's Society does have a hierarchy and it is based around experience as a runner,  there are the new and promising Red Sleeves, they are the lowest level in the TRS Caste and are often seen with a Blue Sleeve. As a Red Sleeve there are two ways to become a Blue Sleeve, one being seven years in service as a runner, and the other is to win the Red Cloak GamesC.B.LOW.

The Blue Sleeves have the most impact on day to day life in TRS as they are the highest active runners in TRS. Blue Sleeves share the upper half of the TRS caste with the House Keepers. Blue Sleeves that have served as a runner for fourteen years have the opportunity to retire whenever they wish, those who have served for twenty years are more-or-less forced to retire.

Runners that have retired are given the opportunity to further work for TRS by becoming House Keepers, House Keepers are in charge of one of the twenty-four TRS offices that are scattered across the continent. There can be several House Keepers to an office as the Office is also home to the runners, House Keepers handle everything from actual housekeeping, to money management, to dispatching runners.

There are two ranks in TRS but they are more of a class of runner than anything, they call them ranks as a reminiscent of the early days of TRS where they were actually ranks.

One of the two Ranks in TRS is the Sirch (Pronounced Sir-Sh). They wield swords and they carry anything from Mail that has been paid for in full and then some, to legal documents, to treaties between nations. They carry one or two swords across their back and are well versed in swordplay. Sirch are also used as security for Soar carrying precious cargo, they tend to be taller and stronger than Soar. The Sirch Rank is often revered because they have to be selfless and serve as a decoy for a Soar when ambushed.

The other Rank is Soar, they have high endurance and carry knives. They mainly carry special deliveries and mail that needs to go over a long distance quickly. They carry two daggers and often a throwing knife or three.

Among the runners there is a reverence term, SUAR, for talented Soar runners which was coined some forty years ago, A Sirch and a Soar were en route to deliver a peace treaty between two warring families when they were ambushed. According to the record of the event, the Sirch turned to engage the assailants and the Soar refused to run, unwilling to abandon his comrade. The Sirch then shouted "Shut up and run!" which somehow got the Soar to run the forty or so miles to the destination office. The Sirch was never seen or heard from again and everyone believed that his last words had indeed been "shut up and run". Eventually someone made the connection that letter S-U-A-R sounded Ironically similar to the name of the rank Soar. Thus the runner term SUAR came into being.

Best part of the job

The Runner's Society is well known for taking the route less traveled, that includes over buildings, market stalls and pretty much anything they can climb over. They are basically Free Runners (Parkourists). Every six months or so, all of TRS gathers in outside a large city and has a race to a find the red cloaked runner (Who is chosen from the blue sleeves) and it becomes a game of tag/capture the flag the goal being to get the cloak. This Game is called the Red Cloak Games. If a Red Sleeve wins, they become a Blue Sleeve. If a blue sleeve wins there is a small cash prize and the game is redone the following month in another city. If the cloaked runner is not caught before dawn the next day (He/she cannot hide away and must remain moving or resting somewhere on the streets) then they win a major cash prize. the House Keepers proctor the game.

Have a letter?

If you a looking to hire The Runner's Society, remember that TRS is by no means a free service. It does have to support itself. Some may find the rate to be affordable, if not a great deal. Just know that these rates have been in place for fifty years.

Same town mailing: 1 copper piece per letter
Same Province mailing: 5-10 copper pieces per letter (at the discretion of the house keeper)
Cross Province mailing: 1-5 silver pieces per letter (at the discretion of the house keeper)
International mailing: 1 gold piece per letter per border crossed
Thanatos mailing: 2 gold pieces per letter + 1 gold piece per border crossed

Now TRS understands that not everyone can write. So for an additional copper the house keeper will write your letter for you. Or for a copper piece per paragraph you can have the runner memorize your message.

Not sure where to find us? TRS has offices all across the continent and Thanatos. Our major offices are in Hyoite village, Reajh, Utherlyn, all proviences, Arca, Selevea, Cerenis, Ketra, Kunata, La'marri, Zantaric, and Essyrn. We also have several outposts in smaller towns that dot the land. All our offices are marked by our seal, which you will find on the wax seal of our letters and on our currency.

Sirch Runners:
Scipio Prosper, Blue Sleeve [Played by Zane]
Margot Lemaire, Blue Sleeve [Played by GoblinFae]
OPEN!
OPEN!
OPEN!

Soar Runners:
Jypsei Danzer, Red Sleeve [Played by GoblinFae]
Wind, Red Sleeve [Played by Dreamwolf]
Ms. Fluffykins/ Radustan, Red Sleeve [Played by Winters-Feather]
Asuhok Snowborn. Red Sleeve [Played by Winters-Feather]
OPEN!

House Keepers
OPEN!
OPEN!
OPEN!
OPEN!

Winters-Feather

OOOOOH I Love this idea <3 "Shut up and run" is whimsy, but not that professional, though.

IN anyc ase, I wanna join in.

Zane

hmm you have a point...I wanted it to more be a connection to Soar (when you run quickly you seem to soar) and SUAR worked...might have to edit it a bit

GoblinFae

Question, there are both red and blue sleeves in Sirch and Soar? Or is Sirch and Soar the two different ones of red and blue sleeves? Sorry I'm slow this morning @.@
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Dreamwolf

From what I understand the Red and blue sleeves denote experience levels, think the difference between a gray muzzled dog and a brown one, whereas Soar and Sirch are the two different teams.

Also for Zane, What about mass mailing? if there is a large amount of messages to be delivered to a city at a slower pace? I was thinking my char, Ragnr, could be something like a helper, using his cart to deliver large packages or batches of mail, it would make sense given he travels all over, he could be easily commissioned to bring a Runner and their large package to the next town to another country. (excluding Connlaoth))

Zane

Fae: the red an blue sleeves donate experience as a runner (it takes seven years OR winning the red cloak games which is a rare thing for a red sleeve to do considering the amount of blue sleeves in the the game and the skill of the blue sleeve that has been named the red cloak) but to answer your question there are both red and blue sleeves in Soar and Sirch. Most red sleeves won't get a solo mission until their 2-3rd year which is to ensure their safety and that of the document.

More to be added later gotta go to class

GoblinFae

Thanks Zane. Thinking on joining up but I have been told if I don't catch up on replying to my posts some people are going to commit a riot on me xD. I'll need to do that before I can make yet another character.

If (more like when) I do join I promise not to start another string of all the guild members having "S" names xD.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Winters-Feather

Fae's right. All their names shall henseforth start with the letter.... M! :<

As for a different acronym...
society of angry raiders? (lol not likely)
society of agile ranks
society of (the) accelerated races
system of advanced runners (huh)
system of accelerated resources
Systematic operations of accelerated ranks/races (SOOAR orjust leave out one of the o's. w/e)
Special (or systematic) Operation of avionic runners

The last one is my fav, but you probably can come up with more and probably a more apt one XD

Zane

This information you will find in the first post (Paragraph before "best part of the job" section)

Pretty hung up on that acronym huh? Soar is the official name of rank it is a reference to speed (Sirch is a VERY indirect reference to strength (pm if you wanna know it as it would take way to long to explain it here)) the acronym SUAR is a term among runners for a fast and high endurance Soar runner. It was coined more than forty years ago when a blue sleeve Sirch and a red sleeve Soar were ambushed while carrying a peace treaty between two feuding houses. The Sirch turned to engage the ambushers and the Soar hesitated, unwilling to leave his comrade. The Sirch then shouted "shut up and run!" Which somehow got the Soar to run the remaining 40 or so miles to the destination office. The Sirch was never seen or heard from again. Everyone guessed that his last words were "shut up and run" which someone the made the connection that the letters S U A R sounded very similar to Soar and thus SUAR became a runners term for a talented Soar runner.

Huzzah for backstory and development

GoblinFae

Nice Zane! Add that to the guild info at the top ^.^
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

Zane

edits made to the group info:

-given a proper history
-the Hierarchy has been described
-the Ranks have reworked/rewritten
-Named the TRS gathering game

Zane

and now to commit a great crime..a triple post (hope I dont hang for this)

DreamWolf: you have a pretty valid point but I will have to say no and my reasons are as follows. TRS charges a pretty exuberant rate for their service, mailing within the city is a copper piece PER LETTER and it goes as high as 50 gold pieces (per letter) should the destination be over fifteen days travel (It took Scipio three months to travel to all 24 offices even though he was a Soar) so mass mailing would be very very costly to the sender...even if someone were to pay for the mass mailing, mass mailing is a common way to spread propaganda, and TRS will not spread propaganda as it makes them look bad (downside of being a middleman). and even if it wasn't propaganda, in the time it would take to track down Ragnr and get him back to the place he was asked for, a group of Soar Runners could be a majority of the way to the destination office. AND FINALLY. The Runner's Society is a courier system, if it can't fit in a satchel, carry pack, or hidden compartment, it wouldn't be TRS that would be delivering it. It's a really good idea and I feel like a rearend for shooting it down, it just doesn't fit with TRS

GoblinFae

Alright Zane, Winters is going to kill me. I want to make a Soar if that's alright. ^.^ Setup looks much better, go you!
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

it's alright with me ^_^ welcome to TRS

Dreamwolf

Winters-Feather

Zane, could you put official prices on the page using Serenian coin terms? (Copper could mean penny, shil, etc)

Also, what would the price be for recited messages? Most people wouldn't be literate but still might have the need to send someone.

Zane

This info is in the first post (you will find this in the "have a letter?" section)

Sure no problem. I put it here first the add to the first post when I next get to a computer

In city mailing: 1 copper per letter

Same Provence mailing: 5-10 copper per letter (at discretion of house keeper)

Cross Provence mailing: 1-5 silver per letter (at discretion of house keeper)

International mailing: 1 gold per letter per boarder crossed

If there were an illiterate customer the house keeper should offer to write the letter for them. Otherwise it is one copper per paragraph

GoblinFae

Zane I might also suggest adding that to the top information so that it doesn't get lost in all our comments of praise on this WICKEDLY AWESOME guild ^.^

Also still working on my own runner, she is finely coming along nicely. ^.^
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

Was already planning on it Fae. Just didn't have the time then. But it's up there now ^_^

Tags: