Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

To Know the Definition for What Life Is (Spice!)

Started by Ivory, September 09, 2013, 07:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

One of the troubles with weapons engineering was that it was sometimes difficult to test your inventions without threatening those around you.  Redly had learned that the hard way...but, at least, he hadn't lost anyone for good, and he still had an eye to make up for the one he had lost.  Things could have been so much worse.

Today, he was testing a cannon, so he had excluded himself in the forest.  Smaller than the average cannon, it was meant to be more portable than the usual one.  The trouble was, it had to provide a similar result as the original model: accuracy and firepower.  It wasn't an easy thing to achieve.

"Now, what is wrong with you?" Redly demanded of the weapon before him.  Accuracy?  Check.  Firepower?  Not so much.  The range had been cut down to a quarter of what it should have been.  The ball had taken out a grove of trees rather than the dummy.  At least it was headed in the right direction...  "Alright, let's take you apart, sweetheart, and see what's keeping you from making that big bang we all know and love..."

So he talked to his mechanisms.  He was single -- don't judge.

visualspice

She had discovered well into her third month in this place, that she had stumbled into the country known as Connlaoth. This place was a strange one, though was filled with things that had reminded her of her former home in the mists. With unique, metal trinkets and primitive gear working machines and modernizing architecture, Aelith found herself studying the place in silence. Though like most nations, still, most of it's land was claimed by the forests, and so most of her wandering was done there, though it wasn't long before she'd run into another man, or rather, another engrossed in the technologies there of, as the sound of canon fire drew her attention.

The smell of black powder and freshly splintered trees filled the air, and a moment later she was stepping out into the clearing Redly had been practicing, completely ignorant of him on the other end tinkering away at his contraption while she paused before the block of trees that had been decimated by the ordeal.  She had her back to him, her metal legs,t hat look more like simple, metal armored leggings, reflected off the morning sun as she reached a single hand forward, another one seeming incased in metal, as she touched the splintered remains of the trees.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Redly frowned over his work, making a minor adjustment to the interior of the mechanical weapon.  Even so, it was a cannon, and a minor adjustment took some doing.  Eventually, though, it was ready for another test.

Powder and shot went into the re-assembled barrel, and Redly straightened with a big sigh.  He normally had an apprentice and sometimes two to help with the lifting and assembly; sometimes, though, he just liked to be alone with his work.

Using the back of one blackened hand, he wiped the sweat from his brow and turned to fire a second time...except...

He squinted at the solitary figure standing where his first shot had landed.  Just standing there, as though he had never seen a cannon ball's destructive capabilities before.  (It had to be a he.  He was wearing armor!)

"Hey!"  Redly called, cupping his meaty hands to his mouth.  "Hey!  You're not supposed to be down there!"

Although...to be fair...it's not like there were signs.

visualspice

At his call, Aelith lifted her head, peering over her shoulder at him. She noted the canon he held and tilted her head curiously, but didn't move from where she stood.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

It was...a woman?  That thought momentarily confused him...but not for long!

Well, she obviously wasn't deaf.  Was she a simpleton?

"Move!"  He encouraged, gesturing for her to come up the hill.  "Come up here!"  With his luck, she'd wander right into the path of cannon fire...

visualspice

For a long moment, Aelith simply stared at him before she turned away, studying the dummy that resided a good many yards away from the splintered trees. Curiously, she studied it, seeming to ignore the man's request.

OOC: lol, Aelith listens good  |8*

Ivory

Yep.  This girl wasn't the sharpest blade in the armory, was she?

Redly sighed heavily.  Alright, well, he couldn't just indiscriminately shoot at her, could he?  He'd have to go sort this out, and, hopefully, find out why she was wandering around out here...

Putting his things aside, he made his way across the field to where the woman stood.

"Ma'am, if I could just get you to move..."

visualspice

As he approached, she tilted her head curiously to one side. The man was just as tall as she was with her metal heeled shoes. Though she looked him over, catching all of the dirt and sweat off his form before glancing back at the dummy.
"Had you meant to hit this with your canon instead of those trees?" she inquired simply, still ignoring his request. "You might have more luck at aiming correctly if the nose of the canon were longer." Then she glanced back over him. "Or your focus of black powder more compact. It seems the canon is too messy... or is this an older machine?"

Ivory

Redly's expression went from one of patient tolerance to one of boyish glee.

"You're an engineer!  Why didn't you just say so?"

Because, clearly, she had had every chance!

"Ah, well," he added, looking a bit more sheepish as he turned to glance at the cannon.  "That's my new one I'm working on.  Trying to make it a bit more easy to transport, what with all that's been going on with the military and all."

Nothing, really, was "going on" except for a build-up of men and weapons.  But that probably meant a war was coming...

visualspice

Aelith blinked. The term 'engineer' didn't quite register with her, but what he was describing to do with his canon, did. Without a word, she began to walk over towards his weapon, getting down to one knee and inspecting it as her messy blonde hair hung off her head while she peered down the mouth of the canon.
"The base is weighted improperly for this design. You'll never hit your intended target unless you enlargen the wheels to balance it out and stabilize it's force. Too much kick back."

Ivory

Redly shook his head.  "That's not the problem I'm having, though.  It's accuracy is fine.  Look.  You can see where you were standing, and the dummy is some ways off.  But it's the right direction and everything.  But it doesn't have enough power."

He crouched down in front of the cannon himself, looking remarkably silly with his thick build.  He extended a hand to her, then.  "Redly Treyburn.  From Uthlyn.  Where are you from?"  How was it he did not know her?  There weren't many engineers of her caliber, after all!

visualspice

Aelith stared at his hand.. then blinked.
"Not from around here." She said, rising off the ground. "And if you add more powder, you'll need something to help with the extra kick back," she repeated plainly

Ivory

"She can only hold so much powder," Redly answered with a slight frown, as troubled by her lack of manners as by the problem at hand.  "I'm afraid that if I put in any more, she'll explode."

He had some experience there!

He rubbed his chin a minute, then said, "You know, just because I'm a man, that doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about."  Most of the engineers he knew were female, even if war was men's work...  The designing and smithing were usually left to the women, after all.  He could only assume that this was the reason she was being so unfriendly!

visualspice

Aelith only stared, not realizing she had offended him or even had bad manners.
"Maybe you're using the wrong type of powder..."

Ivory

Redly stared right back at her.

"Wrong type...of powder?"

What on earth did that mean?  There was, to the best of his knowledge, exactly one type...and that one type had never failed him before!

Opening up a small keg, he showed it to the nameless woman.  "This is the only type I'm familiar with.  What do you use?"

visualspice

Her master was smart well beyond his years- and it was his obsession that drew him into tinkering with things such as melding metal to flesh.. and improving the already well advanced form of the Connlaothoian black powder. He had his own armory, his own inventions, and some of his experiments resided in the nearly silent ticking gears inside her body. So at his question, she simply blinked.

She had some of that powder on her person, though her supply was running out. Once it was gone... well, that would be the end of Cinta's mysterious powder. Though were Connlaoth used black powder, ironically, his was silver.

Seeing no real harm in sharing, she unhooked a pouch from her belt and handed it over towards him. "My master made this. Said he perfected it from Connlaoth's formula. You don't have to use a lot,a nd it rarely clogs my guns."

Ivory

Redly took the pouch and looked down at it, his confusion apparent.  Reaching in, he ran his fingers through the fine powder, the lifted it to give it a tentative whiff.

"What is this?  It was like nothing he had ever seen before!"

He glanced from the powder to his own weapon, and then he ventured, "May I keep this?"  He may have been a blunt instrument, but he wasn't entirely stupid.  He needed to show this to someone, to see if it could be duplicated -- not to waste it blasting wooden dummies in the woods.

visualspice

Aelith tilted her head to one side.
"It's all I have left. An the inventor is dead." She told him flatly, not exactly answering him. She wasn't about to just give away the last bits of her powder- especially for nothing, and to some strange man who was out here.. blowing up trees.

Ivory

"Oh."  His face fell, but he tugged on the strings to tie it back up, then handed the small bag back to its owner.  He wasn't so interested that he would steal it from her...

"What will you do once you're out?" he pursued curiously.

visualspice

Aelith had that thought tucked into the back of her mind before she looked down at the bag and simply replied, "Find a way to get more."