Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

One Flew Over the Windmill [M]

Started by visualspice, August 27, 2023, 10:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Tags @wandering_giraffe !

----------------------------------

"I hate the Kilanthro's," the one man said, stuffing his mouth full of pan friend potatoes. "And the North. You know what the norther's problem is?" he went on, picking up his knife and beginning to cut into his third layer of steak.

Two men sat at a table, the inn was quite small- with a quaint tavern on the main floor. It was a very unassuming building, with very unassuming people within. Most of the patrons were Connlaothian or norther travelers, so the pair at this table stuck out like a sour thumb.

On one side of the table, a man with a colorful wool, fur lined jacket was stuffing his face- plate after plate- of food. And he kept talking- even when his mouth was full.

"They live in the North!" he answered his own question, giving an obnoxious bark of a laugh- one that just kept on going. He shook his head, the dark brown hair of his had unique streaks of turquoise colored throughout, a color easily emphasized by the garrishness of his jacket.
He continued to chew, smiling, then swallowed, eyeing the man and his plate.

"You ain't gonna eat, Opus?" The man grinned again, his cheeks dimpling.

The other man was much less animated, and sat as a tall and imposing figure with the hearth burning at his back. This only amplified his seemingly gargantuan height- for a seven foot tall man was almost unheard of in the North. No... that stock was more typical of the deeper south- to the desert palaces of Essyrn.

He was cutting at his steak carefully, with neat cuts, rows and lines before he paused to look over at his companion. His companion that was still chewing and smiling with his mouth open as he leaned over his plate, and plopped another piece of extra rare steak into his mouth in just such a way he could see his canines.

"I apologize for not being a heathen," he remarked simply, and took a bite of his food.

The more colorful man shuffled in his seat, laughing, which seemed to spit out some of his food.

"Well, most vampires are," the man pressed, leaning back into his chair as he finished chewing his wad of steak and started to lick at the juice and blood from his fingers as his turquoise eyes studied the room.

"Why do people even bother living up here? Although I suppose you can't go much further or they'd freeze to death.." he snorted, laughing and shook his head, hunching back over his steak and working at cutting another furious few pieces. He stuffed those pieces into his mouth, chewing, then glanced up at Opus. Despite his jests, the other man wasn't eating much. It wasn't like him to just pick at his food.

"Something on your mind?" the other asked, mouth still slapping with steak.

Opus paused, eyes still on his steak before speaking quietly.

"We had been followed."

The colorful fellow turned to regard the room, chewing loudly before glancing back at Opus, one arm lounging on the back of his own chair in a casual fashion.

"Seriously? They're dedicated enough to come all the way here?" He eyed the room, shaking his head again and went back to cutting up the remaining bits of his steak. "Good thing you brought me along. I can handle it."

"Just be sure to be discrete. I know how... colorful you Saranthians can be," The taller man went on, moving to cut back at his steak.

"You sure they're after you? The men over there kind of look homely," the other criticized, narrowing his eyes at them as he chewed, loudly.

"Don't play the fool card. I saw you observing them since we left Kartell." Opus paused, steak cut still at the end of his fork. "Dao... do as you must. I trust you'll continue to oblige the contract."

Dao popped the last piece of steak into his mouth and licked at his fingers again, nodding animatedly before giving a sniff. He then turned around in his chair, chewing on that last bit of his steak and staring directly at the men in the corner.

"Dao.." Opus pressed.

Dao's face blossomed into man lines of dimples as a smile consumed his face.

"Don't worry Opus." He moved to stand, pushing in his chair as he unbuttoned his coat. "Consider our contract obliged."

Moments later, people (well the few that were outside in the cold streets of Hathorath) were gasping and scurrying away- as a man in a fancy red suit stood outside- tossing unconscious bodies onto the rooves of houses and stables as if they were Ansgar's Day decorations. He hefted one up onto a nearby porch roof, which was slanted dramatically- the body sliding down and half dangling off the side.

He dusted his hands off before planting them on his hips to admire his work.
And the town was nearly empty. He laughed- a strange, jackal of a laugh before turning and nearly tripping over the last unconscious body beside him.
"Woah- sorry, almost didn't see you there," he told the man, giving his form a kick as he grinned. Then he hefted him up onto his shoulder and looked around.

"Now where to put you... hrmm.."
As his eyes scanned the area he saw the perfect spot,- the moving blades of a wind mill.
"Ah, perfect. Perfect spot, Dao," he complimented himself, doing that same, odd, jackal of a laugh as he sauntered forward quite merrily  and approached the moving blades.

He just had to time it right to get the fellow onto it. So he waited.. counted...
and threw the man.

He missed.
The body fell to the cold floor. Too bad it wasn't cold enough to snow.
Dao plante dhis hands on his hips, shaking his head at his mistake.

"Not sure how I missed that one.. well.. better try again, eh?" and he hefted the man up again, took a few steps back, regarding the wind mills blades. He shifted the man so he hung off his arm, sizing things up between his hands before-
He gave it another go.

And missed.

He stared at the crumpled body, pouting.

"Well, damn." And he stood there, tapping his foot and thinking over these calculations again, not seeming to notice nor care if he was seen by more or less anyone walking into town.

Bah- who would be walking into this town. It was too damn cold.

Cold.. right...
he left his jacket inside...
Should he go and fetch it?
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

wandering_giraffe

Ayra muttered as she walked into town. "Stupid traders, ruining this beautiful village." She sent a glare towards a child who was curiously watching her from a house window

The child ducked until Ayra let her gaze wander elsewhere. Ayra was not in a good mood today. She had her double sword swung carelessly behind her back, and her two daggers dangling off of holsters in the front. Her short silver fur cape sparkled in the sunlight. Her outfit was rather plain, but normal to that region, her short sleeved brown shirt accentuated by a plain silver chain inlaid with jade. Her arms were tattooed with runic symbols, and one arm bore a leather gauntlet. Her unruly brown hair was carelessly swept back in a ponytail. She had almost reached the tavern when she noticed bodies everywhere, on the rooves, on stables. Her eyes grew wide.
"By the great god Kaos..."
Then she shrugged.
"gods I need a drink." She shook her head.
 As she passed one unconscious man she discreetly bent down and grabbed his wallet; thinking and praying that no one had seen her. She took a coin out of the wallet and chucked it at the unconscious man.
"Thank you for your donation." She turned around and walked into the tavern, oblivious to the man outside that had been trying to throw a body onto a windmill.

"Yakos! The usual!"
She said as she stood at the bar. Scanning the tavern for any suspicious people as she did every day, she didn't miss the strangely tall man sitting at a table.
"You're a foot too tall for this region," she said to herself and snickered. Yakos came out with a pint of vodka and slid it to her. She flipped him a coin and set her attention back on the man over by the hearth. He looked rather uncomfortable and out of place here, she thought to herself. She turned around and popped the cork off of the bottle of vodka and casually leaned against the bar.

visualspice

What she considered uncomfortable was more or less Opus trying to swallow his irritation. If Dao wasn't so good at what he did, he wouldn't have bothered to bring the damn vampire with him. So with a sigh, he pushed back his finished meal and leaned back casually in his chair, a fist propped beneath his chin as he stared off contemplatively. 

His large, strong feature cast against the dancing orange blaze of the fire truly made the man stand out- he was almost statuesque- tall, dark and handsome, with a rugged look (he was overdue for a shave..) and rested soft, leather boots onto the table before him.

That's when he turned an eye towards the woman who had entered, fingers lightly drumming on the table. But he said nothing. Only stared, something moving between the fingers of his hand upon the table.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

wandering_giraffe

Ayra finished the pint of vodka, slamming it down on the bar. She thought she felt eyes on her so she discreetly looked. Nothing. She shrugged and went back to her thoughts.
She felt it again. She shrugged it off and gripped the bottle, wondering what kind of vodka the Yakos had given her. In the distance, she kept hearing a thud. It would be silent, and then she'd hear it again.
"What is going on outside", she wondered. Her irritation only grew. Between the thud outside and the feeling of someone watching her that she couldn't shake, she was growing more irritated, even angry. She snuck one more glance behind and caught the tall man looking in her direction.
That was it. She snarled and threw the empty vodka bottle in his direction.

visualspice

And the tall man simply caught it, unmoving, or if he had moved, it was too fast to comprehend. But he still sat there, eyes glittering with amusement as the fire's continued to dance behind him.

wandering_giraffe

Her eyes widened when he caught it. "No," she thought to herself. She pushed up off the bar and unsheathed her dagger, at the same time grabbing a bottle of rum some poor trader was drinking, throwing it at him. She rushed at him, drawing her second dagger as well, eyes glinting with rage, ready to take down this second rate human.

visualspice

Things escalated rather quickly, the second bottle simply sailing past the man's head, as he casually leaned to one side and let it crashed into the fire. A small explosion flared out from the hearth and the man simply stepped out from his chair, stepped into then through the sudden flare of fire, and to the other side of it for safety.

It singed some of his clothing, which he casually brushed away- and stood to rise, still unarmed, but his tall build was hunched down, menacing. He held.. something in his hand, but his eyes did not once leave the form of the woman who was dancing with daggers across from him.

And then the door kicked open- a blast of cold air and daylight flooding the place as the colorful man from earlier stepped inside.

"Hey boss, mind helping me for a moment? I can't seem to get this man's body up onto the windmill blade."

wandering_giraffe

She stopped as the door swung open, and brisk snappy air blew in. A much shorter man (compared to his tall accomplice) walked in, dragging an unconscious body. Her eyes flicked from one to the other. She snickered. "Well aren't you two a pair?" She settled into a fighting stance. "Hell, I'll take both of y'all on!"

visualspice

Dao stood in the doorway, the unconscious man over his shoulder, as he blinked over at the woman- and noticed the stance of his boss...
But really the sudden outburst of the woman...

He couldn't help it. It started off as a rumble in his belly before soon it was coming out in full blast as he laughed and laughed and simply laughed as he stood there in the door way. He adjusted the weight of the unconscious (maybe dead) man over his shoulder and pointed in the woman's direction. 

"That's cute." He ignored her, stepping inside and turning to his boss. He cocked his head to one side, sighing and gesturing to the body still limp and.. very battered, hanging like a sack of potatoes off his shoulder.

"I've been trying to get this man onto the Windmill blade but I can't get the timing right. You're good with math, you can help me fix the calculations and then I can give the man a throw..."

Opus just glared a Dao before shifting his eye to the woman. He was still unarmed- and apparently, so was Dao- and while he was in a defensive posture, Dao was strolling up to the table that barely separated the dagger carrying woman from Opus. But Dao's eyes were on something else... he noted Opus's plate-

that he picked up suddenly and tsked. He wagged a finger and picked up the remaining cut of meat.

"You didn't finish your steak."

wandering_giraffe

Arya marched over to Dao and grabbed the unconscious man by his shirt collar. "So that's what that noise was." She turned around, strode outside and chucked the body onto the windmill. She turned around and sent a glare Dao's way. "We were in the middle of something. And by the way you were off by like an inch." 

visualspice

Dao blinked as the woman snatched the possible-corpse from his shoulder and... just tossed the thing onto the windmill blade as it dipped low and passed. He whistled appreciatively, hands to his hips and watched as the man went round and around.

He then let his grin light up his whole face as he stared at her.

"I knew it could be done!" he laughed, laughter echoing across the valley while Opus slowly returned to his seat. He wasn't sure what the woman's problem was, but he kept himself.. 'armed' just incase she decided to have another tantrum. He wouldn't put it pass any of the locals to be.. slightly insane... not unlike his companion, who... he watched through a bored expression as he leaned against the table. Dao... was....

Well, he did decide to drag him along. What else was he expecting?

Dao gestured towards the woman. "You throw bodies alot? Maybe you can give me a few pointers. I'm not necessarily good at moving targets," he went on, smiling broadly.

And behind them- the other men who were decorating the town began to wake up, groaning as they found themselves in... very precarious situations. This.. Dao thought- was absolutely hilarious and he began to just laugh.. and he did so.. very, very loudly.

wandering_giraffe

Ayra watched the man laughing. A slight, so small that you could barely see it, smile grew on her face. (Now this man is funny) she thought to herself. Her anger, which had mostly fizzled away by now, was replaced with a slight wonder at the seemingly insane but likable man.
She walked up to him and slapped him on the back. Her smile had spread to her eyes. "Come on, I'll buy you a drink."

visualspice

At the offer, he tossed his head back and laughed some more.
"Don't you think I ought to buy you a drink?" he questioned, following after, grinning like an idiot. He didn't seem to notice (or pay much attention) to his boss, who went back to quietly relaxing by the fire. But his eyes were still on the woman.

"It took me twenty minutes to fail at that task you only succeeded at once," he went on, holding up one finger for emphasis. He looked her in the eyes, his smile tugging leftward on his cheeks. "So what you say.. why don't I buy you dinner and a drink?" he offered again, leaning against the bar and oh so suavely, pulling out a sack of gold and dumping a few coins onto the table. His eyes never left the woman's.

And he was still grinning- eyes alit with unsung laughter.

wandering_giraffe

She glanced at the bag of gold and smiled. "You can buy the meal, but I insist on buying the drinks." She dug around in her satchel and tossed 5 coins on the counter. "Yakos!" Looking at the still laughing man, she realized she didn't even know his name. "My name is Ayra, by the way." Yakos was standing there, looking at her expectantly. "I'll have another pint of vodka please. And whatever he wants as well." She gestured toward him. Ayra gestured to the brooding man sitting by the fireplace. "Put his drinks on my tab too." She smiled. "You gotta show me how you threw that many men all over the place"

visualspice

When the bar tender looked to the saranthian, Dao simply laughed and said ,"I'll just take the rest of the bottle!"

The man looked to Ayra for confirmation as Dao pulled out a stool for her to sit upon.

"Throwing men? That's easy! On account of me being a vampire."
And he laughed again, although this time, if she were to actually study the man closely, she might be able to just see those elongated teeth.

"It gives me extra strength.  Kind of cheating.. really," he went on, humbly. "You ever meet a vampire before? We can do pretty cool stuff." And he flashed her the most boyish, toothy of grins, fangs and all.

wandering_giraffe

Ayra was up and away from the grinning man in what looked like seconds, even though to her it felt like hours. Her dagger was unsheathed again, only something was happening as her mind began to process what her body understood immediately. Chills were running up her spine, her pupils dilated, her pulse quickened. Her breathing was growing uneven. In her mind, a flash of white. Time seemed to stand still...

6 years ago...
The young teen looked to be on death's door. It was raining hard in Draconi forest. The teen collapsed at a small but beautiful log cabin in the woods. His quiet cry for help went unheard of in the night. Or so he thought as he lost consciousness. He woke up on a couch in a dimly lit room. A girl, who looked to be 14 or 15, saw that he was awake and ran to go get her mother. "Mom, mom! He's awake!" The mother smiled. "Ok Ayra, thanks for telling me. Why don't you go to the well outside and draw him up some water?" The young girl nods, and goes outside to the well. The mom walks into the living room to tend to the young boy, but the couch is empty. She looks around, confused. She doesn't even see the teen boy lunge at her, pointed teeth bared, brutally ripping her throat out. She didn't even have time to scream. Her life is over in an instant. The dad is killed in his bed, never even waking up. The young girl hears the mom drop to the floor and rushes inside. Her mother is laying on the floor, her throat and face barely recognizable, covered in blood. The girl, shaking, falls to her knees and screams; a loud, broken, scream.

Back to present...

Ayra is on the ground, shaking, the flashback too brutal for her as she begins to hyperventilate. She can't seem to catch a breath, her dagger on the floor beside her.

visualspice

Dao's face fell. Well? The daggers.. predictable. But he couldn't say he'd ever seen someone react like that.

Opus sat quiet at his table, head titled in mild interest as Dao swooped down and scooped the woman up in her arms. He carried her over to the hearth, snatching water up from the table then.. unceremoniously dumping it onto her face. That'd what you did when someone was in shock right? Pour water over their head?

"Ayra.. ! Ayra!"

Was it something he said? Or.. was the drink.. drugged!? He cradled her still, carrying her with weightless ease.

"Arya? You okay?"

What if it was poison!?

wandering_giraffe

Even through the panicked fog Ayra was in, the water managed to shatter it. Her breathing slowly began to slow down, and her eyes slowly came into focus. Everything was blurry, she was trying to remember what happened. The flashback, her dropping to the floor, the vampire picking her up...wait. The vampire picking her up. A vampire...is holding her. She quickly reminded herself that she's not dead yet. "Stay calm," she thought to herself. She tried to control her breathing. And then she looked up at him. "Oh wow, you're even cuter up close", she said. Then she gasped. "Oh I did not just say that out loud," she mentally facepalmed.

visualspice

Dao's lips tugged leftward into a grin, cheeks dumpling.

"You don't look bad yourself.. even wet," he countered with a laugh. To be fair.. some women looked like drown rats. But she..? Well, he took his good old time admiring her for what she was.

"Can't say it's everyday a woman almost passes out because of how good I look."

He grinned again, it blossoming broadly.

"I suppose it can't be helped I'm sexy. Although.. maybe more women should pass out over me." He laughed.  "Maybe I need to up the sex factor.. give me a minute." He plopped her down before the hearth and grabbed the pitcher of water then .. preceded to tear open the front of his shirt, buttons scattering to the floor as he puffed out his well toned chest and abs like a peacock.. then proceeded to dump the remaining pitcher of water onto himself, it falling like a dancing orange waterfall in the hearth's glow.

Now he sat there, his perfect body exposed... The waters upon him danced as they glistened by the fire's light.. accentuating the 'sex factor' the man just spoke about. He gave a jerk of his chin to remove the locks of curled, dark locks of hair from his eyes and just let them smolder as he eyed her like prey.

"There.. that's much better.. right?" He said, raking a hand through his wild, tosseled locks. 

wandering_giraffe

Ayra was really trying to look everywhere but at the vampire. Her eyes took a quick glance at the tall man, who sat, expression unreadable, watching. Her internal thoughts were very conflicting. "He's a vampire!" "But he's really attractive." "But he's a VAMPIRE!" She glanced up at the vampire's eyes; quickly averting them when she saw him gazing at her. The tavern was empty by now. Her mind began to race. "Isn't this what vampires do? They seduce, and then they strike." She didn't even realize she was talking out loud by now.