Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Mud on church steps. [Rina!]

Started by Rhindeer, December 07, 2010, 02:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

The rain was coming down hard outside, muddying the ground leading up to the doorway, and there was really no way around it as the water ran in rivulets across the path. With a sigh, Alexander pushed the church door open and stepped inside, water pooling around his feet in a dirty mess. He shook out his hair and looked around; looked like no one was around, which he could hardly blame them considering the storm. He waited a little more, waiting until the water stopped dripping, then made his way over to the nearest pew and took a seat, leaving a trail of muddy footprints behind him.

Tanith had been cleaning the church all day. The storm had kept people away and besides the two masses, there had been no activity. And so Tanith had been scrubbing the place top to bottom.

Her long hair was tied back with a cloth and she had an rather dirty apron.  Lugging the bucket of water back to finish up the floors, she froze and let out an angry hiss at the sight of the mud and water ALL OVER HER JUST CLEANED FLOORS!

"This is a house of God! What are you doing?"

Alexander jumped when a yell interrupted his prayer and he jerked upright and twisted to look--and froze at the sight of the girl. She had horns--and were those scales? He suddenly realized he was staring and jerked his eyes back up to her face, focusing back onto what she'd just said and tilting his head slightly, confused.

"I...am praying?"

"You have defiled this holy place with your filth!" Her voice was a low hiss and she gestured with the bucket at the trail of mud and water. She was too irritated to remember to play nice with the normals.

"My filth? I beg your pardon?" He was on the verge of being offended for being accused of defiling a church, but then he followed her gesture--and grimaced.

"...Oh." And then his eyes landed on the bucket and something clicked in his head. "Oh. Oh, I'm...I'm sorry. But it's storming outside and..." Well, shit. "And...why would you choose to clean floors on a day like this?"

The woman's expression started to soften a little, feeling pity for the man until his last comment and her annoyed expression came right back, "I choose to because they were dirty and most people stay in their homes on a day like today. I had gotten most of it sparkling."

Another grimace. Well, it still seemed like a bad day to pick to him--a dryer day where people wouldn't be tracking in mud made more sense, in his head--but from the look on her face, it didn't look like she'd appreciate the advice.

"...My apologies. Ah...here, why don't I clean up my mess," he said, rising to his feet--and leaving the seat wet. Nothing to be done for it, though; his clothes were soaked through.

Tanith gave a small sigh, setting her bucket down, "Don't bother. It's my job to clean up. But you'll catch your death in those wet clothes. Come back into the kitchen with me and we can get you something dry to wear."

Really she wanted to shove him back outside, but that wouldn't be nice. Besides, he was a older man and she knew the Father often complained of his bones aching when he got cold.

Alex held up a hand. "Ah, you don't have to. I won't be here long, and..." He glanced down at his boots, which were still coated in mud, and then at her. "Well, I wouldn't want to track mud where I haven't already."

Tanith forced herself to smile, though her cheek twitched slightly, "Really. It's no trouble. The church is a place of shelter. It would be terrible if you were to catch cold."

"Well..." He gave another glance down at his boots. After how she'd screeched at him, he'd feel bad about tracking more dirt onto her clean floors. And he had to admit, after giving them another glance, they were shiny. "...If it isn't too much trouble?"

"No, of course not." Yes! Yes you insensitive prick! Tanith kept the smile plastered on her face as she set her cleaning tools down, "Why don't you take you boots off here? I'll clean them for you."

He felt a little bad now, dirtying her floors and now her asking to clean his boots, and all he'd wanted to do was come in for a little prayer and contemplation and silence and had gotten none of the above. Instead, he'd ended up inconveniencing some poor girl. He frowned at her, worry lines creasing his brow, and then bent to unlace them. "That's not necessary; don't trouble yourself. I'll just be going out into the rain again," he pointed out, slipping the boots off and picking them up.

"Well, I can at least dry them out a little by the fire." She knew she should clean them for him, she just didn't want to. Though her annoyance was fading. He seemed actually apologetic.

Motioning to follow her, Tanith lead him through the church and to the kitchen. Bustling around, Tanith gathered up some blankets and a spare set of the Father's pants that she had been mending, "Here, change into these and we can dry your clothes out. You'll catch cold if you stay in wet things."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Rhindeer

He wanted to continue waving off her offer, but something told Alexander that she wouldn't be easily dissuaded. Besides, he just wasn't up for fighting her. "I really don't mean to impose," he said, setting his boots down by the fire.

"Thank you, though. I promise I'll be out of your hair soon enough, at least once the storm lets up a little." He offered her a smile to show he didn't mean anything by that, that he wasn't actually offended, and stripped off his sopping wet shirt before laying that out by the fire, too. He was well built beneath the shirt from years of soldiering even if he was a little softer than he was in his prime, old scars puckering his skin here and there.

He accepted the pants and then politely waited for her to turn her back.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

She wasn't going to blush. She wasn't going to blu-oh god he was taking his shirt off. Tanith really never had much opportunity to see see half clothed men and she stared for a moment. There was muscle everywhere!

Whipping around, Tanith faced the wall, her cheeks flushed. She could feel her blood racing, her heart pounding. For an irritating, rude man, he wasn't...wholly unattractive. She gave a small cough, trying to cover up her embarrassment, "Would you like something warm to drink?"

Rhindeer

Oblivious to the girl's blush, (because why would a young girl get flustered around him?), he decided to take her up on that offer. "I'd appreciate that," he said with a smile, then turned his back and started to unlace his breeches.

"I'm gonna change," he warned her, not because he cared much about modesty anymore but because it just wasn't proper for a young, unmarried girl to see that and mage or not, he respected that.

Anonymous

Tanith's blush got darker and she was most definitely not picturing what the rest of him must look like. He was old! And, well, he might be handsome in a rugged, powerful kind of way, it didn't matter. She was a mage and he was a solider. That was that. And he had gotten mud all over her just cleaned floors.

She hated him!

Moving carefully in case she [strike:ngy35ahb]managed to[/strike:ngy35ahb]accidentally saw him changing, Tanith started to boil some water, "I only have some tea, I hope that is all right?" It had better be.

Anonymous

Working fast, Alexander peeled off the breeches and worked to get the dry pair on--no easy task when your skin was still wet and the cloth wanted to stick. "That's fine, thanks," he called to her, still wrestling and tugging with the pants, but he finally managed to yank them on and lace himself up.

"That's far more than I expected coming in here. Ah, are you sure you don't need any help here?" Decent again, though still shirtless, he turned around to look at her. "I'm sure it could go faster with two instead of one."

"Oh no. Don't worry. You just sit in-" Tanith turned and got an eye full of shirtless Alexander. Her repressed sexuality was not prepared for this and her eyes went wide. This was the second time in a few minutes and Tanith was not used to this. She did her best to avoid anything related to sex, as her chances of having it were rather nonexistence.

Red heat rushed to her face when she realized she was staring, "You just..you just sit there. And um...I'll just be a minute with this tea."

Alexander blinked at her reaction, then glanced down at himself. Had the laces come undone? No. Hm. Maybe it was the scarring. He had a couple that were, while impressive, also quite painful looking, he'd been told, even though they'd been healed for a decade.

Oddly self-conscious under her stare, he folded his arms over his chest, where one of the worst scars were. "Take your time. I'll just...sit here," he said, offering her a polite smile before he returned to the fire and wrapped a blanket around his shoulders. That was his fault. He'd been so used to his wife, and then so long a widower after, that he forgot how frightening those could look to other women! Poor thing.

The scars didn't bother Tanith any. She was a Connlaothian, born and raised and men were warriors. Scars were expected and signs of battles survived. It was the washboard stomach she was having trouble with. Years of repressed sexuality were screaming at Tanith to go for it, something her rational mind was not at all comfortable with. She hardly knew him! Didn't even know his name!

The water was boiling and Tanith quickly made the tea, her ears burning. She was acting like some stupid...girl! Bringing a mug over to the man, Tanith tried to act like everything was fine, "May I ask your name?" She gave a bright smile, she needed to keep him happy.

Happy people liked her. People who liked her didn't want to burn her at the stake when it was bad year for crops.

Alexander happily accepted the mug and blew away some of the steam. "Alexander," he said, smiling at her and completely oblivious to her mental turmoil. At least now she didn't seem as upset as she was earlier, though he still felt guilty for setting her back.

"May I ask yours?"

That surprised her a little. She had figured he would know who she was. Tanith was rather convinced she was more famous than she was, the freak with the scales and the horns and the magic, "Oh. Yes, Tanith. Tanith Frei."

She moved away, making herself a mug as well and taking a seat a safe distance from him and his...nakedness. Her eyes kept flicking to his chest, highly distracted and her hormones wouldn't let her ignore it.

"Well, it's a pleasure to meet you, Tanith," Alexander said after taking a sip of his tea. He gave a somewhat sheepish grin. "I only wish I could have made a better first impression."

He did notice that she didn't seem to want to get close to him, but he could understand. She was a mage and he was a soldier far larger than she was. He didn't imagine that a mage's life was easy, considering how pitchfork-happy some villagers were, and not even he felt comfortable around it. But it was still a little sad to see it in person, see how nervous a mage was of him just because he wasn't one--well, the battle wounds probably didn't help, either. Those were a very visible sign of his own strength, and a reminder that he'd killed and almost been killed.

"Have you always lived here?"

Tanith nodded, sipping the tea, feeling awkward. Alexander seemed nice enough, though he was still a villager and she should keep him happy. And she had snapped at him earlier. Maybe she should clean those boots...

"Yes. As long as I can remember. I..uh, well, I was born of dragon and a human." She looked uncomfortable, shrinking down into her chair a little, "So I was given to the church and the father here raised me."

There really wasn't anywhere else for her to go. She had no way of supporting herself and no one was marrying a mage, so she would likely grow old and die in the small room attached to the church.

A human and a dragon? Alexander's eyes widened and he started to open his mouth, but then he slammed it shut again before he could say something he'd regret. No, no, it was inappropriate and rude to ask how a union between a dragon and a human worked, and he was sure she'd already heard the jokes and teasing. He knew how peoples' minds worked; his own had gone there, too.

She was probably sick of it, and she looked uncomfortable enough.

"Oh, that's very kind of him. So you tend to the church here, then?" he asked. The answer was obvious, but he decided it best to get away from an awkward subject and onto more neutral ground.

"Um...yes." She really thought that was obvious. Of course he was a moron. That tended to go with muscles, from what she had been made to understand listening to gossip after the masses. He hadn't made an comments about her heritage, which was a huge point in his favor.

"The father is very old and...um...it lets him keep an eye one me." She gave a gesture to her chest, where the red mark was bright against the dark fabric.

Alexander's eyes fell on the mark and then jerked back up to her face. "I see..." he said, and seeing as this topic was failing, tried again.

"That must be a lot of work. Do you ever have time for other things with all that? Oh, the tea is very good, by the way," he added, pausing so he could drain the rest of his.

Tanith's hands tightened on the mug, her expression going dark when he refused to look at her mark long. Of course, it was too horrible to even look at. She took back all the nice things she had said about him. And he doesn't have a nice body at all!

Her voice was much colder and she stared down at her tea, "It's a lot of work. And no, it doesn't leave me much time for anything else." Not that she would really know what to do with her time. She didn't really have friends and most of her hobbies were...just work related.

Erk. Had he done something wrong? Alexander noticed her change in expression--and especially the ice in her voice--and glanced down at his tea. He was only trying to make conversation, but maybe he was getting too personal...

"Oh...I apologize. I don't mean to pry."

"You didn't pry." Tanith took another drink of her tea, irritated. He had seemed nice, but he was just like the rest. He couldn't handle the mark, just like every one else. She was just magic, scales and disgusting feet and that was it.

"Are you feeling warmer?"

"Much warmer, thank you," Alexander answered, and poked at his drying shirt and boots. They were still damp, of course. Damn. Something told him this girl wanted him out of her hair, already.

Tea finished, he decided to make himself useful and stood up. "Where should I put this?" he asked, raising his mug.

"I'll get that." Assuming you can stand me near you. Tanith stood, taking the mug from Alexander. She smiled, trying to keep her face pleasant, "I wouldn't want to detain you. It's bad luck to be alone with a magic user."

Alexander let her take it, but her words earned her a startled look."Is that so?" he asked, frowning. It was true he'd heard that before, but...

"Hmm. That's interesting. I reckon we're alone here right now, yet I'd say this is the exact opposite of what bad luck looks like."

"Oh, I'm sure it will hit." He would have some totally normal accident and it would be her fault. That's how it worked. She couldn't help but smile a little at his compliment though, "And you are soaking wet in the church's kitchen."

"Yes, but the company is pleasant," he said with a smile. "And the fire is warm, and the tea good. There are worse ways to spend a rainy day. Besides..."

Alexander gave a guilty look out toward the door. "If anything, it was me who brought trouble upon you."

Tanith flushed, not really sure what to say to that. She wasn't really used to compliments like that. Most villagers weren't overly cruel, but they weren't friendly either. She gave a shrug, "That's alright. I'll just clean it up later. It's really alright." She could still remember how quickly he had avoided her mark.

"You sure?" Alexander took a seat back by the fire, stretching out his legs. "I've still got time to kill here, so it really wouldn't be a problem. At the very least, isn't there something I can help with? To make up for it, or make your job a little easier?"

She really didn't know how to respond to this, it was a little out of her league. Tanith shook her head, "No, really, it's alright. There isn't much to be done in this weather. Really, the company is just nice."

Alexander relaxed a little at that, but he still looked at her thoughtfully. "Oh...do you get many visitors? It seems so quiet here. Peaceful. Well, maybe that's just the storm, but still, it seems like it could get awful lonely here."

"Well, people come to the church a lot. And the father gets a view visitors." Tanith shifted, moving to the sink and rolled her sleeves up, revealing more of the light, delicate red scales that appeared in places on her body. She started to wash out the tea mugs, staring down at the water, "It's not lonely really. I have the father to talk to. The silence is...nice."

Tanith knew her voice lacked conviction, but she didn't really want to talk about that to a relative stranger. About how she could manage to be surrounded by the villagers and still be lonely.

It was hard not to look at the scales, not when the color naturally drew the eye to them. But, feeling it was rude to stare, Alexander kept his eyes on Tanith's face even though he couldn't help but wonder how they felt. Smooth like a snake's scales, or rough like a lizard? He shook the thought out of his head, feeling bad for it.

"It can be nice to get away every now and then," he agreed, frowning. There was a melancholy note to her voice that he caught, but yet again, he wasn't sure how to tread here. She was a stranger, a young girl of a mage, and he had no right to stick his nose where it didn't belong.

It was just turning out to be depressingly difficult to find a topic that didn't seem to upset her.

...Which was an even worse thought when you thought about it. Did she have much to be happy for?

"Oh, yes. It is. The solitude can be very relaxing. And there's always a lot of work to be done around here. The father is getting older, so he can't do as much anymore. So I don't have much time for socializing anyways."

She paused, not really wanting to sound pitiful. "And I go to market every week. So I can see people then."

Trying to lighten the subject without stepping on toes, Alexander smiled. "Market is good for that. Catching up on all the gossip and everything." He gave a small chuckle. "Ah, but that's me talking like my late wife. It's not very manly, I know, but it is a little fun. I'm not ashamed to admit that."

Tanith gave a short laugh, "You are plenty manly." She set the mugs out to dry, quickly rolling her sleeves back down, one hand resting over where a patch of scales had been. "I'm sorry. About your wife."

"Oh, it's alright. That was a number of years ago," Alexander said, waving off her concern. He often forgot that casually mentioning a deceased loved one could make other people feel awkward; it had just been part of his life, and his wife's death was part of his life. It had happened years ago and, while he still grieved, it had gotten easier. He could casually mention her without feeling the pain of her loss, now. "Hope I didn't just make things awkward again," he added with a sheepish laugh.

Shaking her head, Tanith returned to her seat, hands twisting in her skirt, "Oh, no. not at all." He had, a little, but it wouldn't do to mention that, "It is hard imagining such a strong soldier such as yourself gossiping at the market."

Anonymous

"Well, I've got to keep busy somehow," Alexander said with a laugh, rubbing the back of his neck. He never really knew how to take compliments like that, especially from someone so young. "I like to think it means I have nothing to prove, that I'm past my hot-headed years. Something like that."

"I think that's nice. So many of the younger soldiers can be so...rowdy. Trying to prove things. I think it's really nice that you are that confidence." And Tanith did mean it. She wished she could be that way, that comfortable in her own skin, "Not many people are that comfortable in themselves."

"I think it's just something everyone has to go through. You gotta get it outta your system and, I don't know...guess it just takes learning to be okay with yourself." Alexander gave an uncomfortable shrug. Right, and here he was telling all this to a marked mage.

"Sometimes, it takes a little help. But, ah, you probably don't wanna hear me preach. I'm sure you get enough of that, living in a church," he said with a smile.

Tanith couldn't imagine ever being that comfortable with herself. She was marked, vile, tainted by the magic that ran through her veins. She shifted, still keeping her eyes averted from his highly distracting chest, "Yes. There is a lot of preaching here. Still, I think it's really amazing. That you can do that."

"You do?" Alexander shifted awkwardly; he never really liked talking about himself much, never knew what to do with the attention. "Well...thank you. Nothing really special or fancy or anything. I think in my case I just needed to grow up. But, ah, enough about that."

He poked at his clothes, and found that his shirt was only damp now. Glancing up, he tried to catch a look out the window. "Wonder if the storm's let up any. Looked pretty bad. I hope we don't get any cyclones."

"Me too." Tanith rubbed her arms, glancing at the window as well. She hated the storms, being all alone in them. The father was some comfort when he was around, but more often than not, he was off with some villager, "It doesn't seem like it will ever stop."

She had wanted him gone earlier, but the mention of a cyclone had her spooked, "It's still raining hard. You don't want to get soaked again..."

"Oh, I wouldn't want to hold you up..." Alexander said, glancing to the floors that were still covered in muddy tracks. "I don't want to be a burden. Besides, who knows how long it'll be until it lets up?"

Because he still couldn't help but feel like he was intruding.

"No. It's alright. Really, I couldn't let you go back out in that storm." Tanith looked back at him, her expression a little tight, the fear not fully hidden, "There might be a cyclone...like you said. What if you were caught in it? No no. You should stay here until the storm passes."

That was when Alexander looked over at Tanith--and saw the fear plainly written there when their gazes met. He had been about to protest, to insist it was okay and that it would be fine, but he swallowed the words. Oh. Wait...

His mind flashed back to earlier in their conversation, her comments on solitude, her insistence that he stay in from the storm. Was she frightened? Realization dawning, he relaxed and gave her a reassuring smile.

"Oh...okay, you're right. It would be bad to get caught in it," he said. Was the Father even around? If not, then she truly was all alone in this, and the howling wind could be a frightful sound. Deciding to try and ease her mind a little, he went on, "This is the kind of weather good for sitting by a fire and telling stories, anyway. Do you know any?" He chuckled. "I'm afraid the only ones I know aren't entirely appropriate."

Tanith visibly relaxed, her shoulders untensing when he agreed to stay. And he didn't seem so bad, nice really, and Tanith really did like the company. She shook her head, smiling awkwardly, "Only religious ones. I wouldn't mind hearing some inappropriate ones. I never get too."

Though, she wasn't really sure she should be hearing them with a mostly naked, rather attractive man alone in a room with her. But it didn't really matter. She was a mage, so it didn't really matter. And it made her feel a little more normal.

Alexander glanced at his hands, thinking. While she said she didn't mind, he didn't feel comfortable telling raunchy tales to a young girl. Unfortunately, most of his good jokes and stories were on the dirty side. "Well...there's some things a young lady shouldn't hear, but..." Thinking, sifting through his stories, he finally settled on one.

"Well once, when I lived further North, it was a rainy day like this when some of my friends I was stationed with were dealing with a local incident. We took shelter in a pasture under a large tree. There was nowhere else to really go, and it looked empty enough. Turned out there was still a bull about, though, we just hadn't seen 'im. You'd never seen five young men run so fast, and guess who wasn't fast enough and had to learn to climb even faster?"

He laughed. "I got stuck up a tree for a while. Probably wasn't that long, but it sure felt it. Thing came out of nowhere, too, so fast you'd've swore it was magic. My friends figured it was probably--" He froze suddenly, abruptly realizing who he was talking to. He'd been about to say, 'they figured it was probably the work of the witch we were investigating'.

He cleared his throat. "Figured it probably got out during the storm. Mean ol' thing, too. It ripped my pants good and I was lucky it didn't take more."

Tanith had been smiling at the story, amused at the mental image, her face brightening up until he had gotten to the end. The grin faltered for a moment, then she waved her hand, trying to laugh it off, "It's alright. Don't look so upset. I know what I am."

There it was again. That damned curse, always between her and everyone else. This barrier of taint and magic, always there.

Despite her laughing it off, Alexander couldn't get over the fact that it seemed no matter what he did, he stuck his boot in his mouth. He rubbed a hand over his face. "Well, I know, but that can't be nice to hear." He straightened up again, trying to recover from his flounder. "Ah, what about you? Surely working in a church has given you some good stories, too?"

Leaning forward a little, he smiled conspiratorially. "I don't know about you, but I'd love to be a fly on the wall over at the confessional."

Tanith shook her head, hands tightening in her skirt a little, "It's alright, really. And it was a funny story. I bet you looked a sight stuck up that tree." She gave a small laugh, eyes crinkling, making the scales on her face shift.

She glanced around, then leaned forward, "You promise not to tell a soul? I know some...juicy stories."

"Do you, now?" Alexander asked. Juicy? He was curious to find out what she would consider juicy; he'd chosen one of his tamest stories so as not to scar her. With a laugh, he drew an X over his heart.

"I swear to Ansgar not to breathe a word to anyone living or dead. Your secret is safe with me."

"Perfect!" Tanith scooted forward, her voice a low whisper, her face close to his, "Well, you know Jamie? The bakers boy?" He was a young, awkward youth that was almost old enough to become a soldier. Tanith's cheeks darkened and she gave a small laugh, "He had sex with a pig! A real pig!"

"A pig?" Alexander blurted, and burst into laughter. Alright, so maybe he'd underestimated the girl. He had to admit, that had surprised him. It was the kind of story kids spread around, but it was still funny--mostly because of who was telling it and how. Hearing her tell it so seriously, and blush so much in the telling, was kind of adorable.

"A pig, huh? Now where'd you hear this?"

"From him! He was telling the father!" Tanith was so often over looked, just an unimportant part of the church scenery, that it was easy to keep out of sight when they talked to the father. She grinned, liking the man's smile. She hadn't expected to have so much fun with the man like this, "He was going on about how he was in love with the sow! I mean, it must be a joke...right? There is just no way..."

Alexander barked another laugh. "In love with it? Now, that's either an elaborate prank or--" Or he was bewitched. Alexander banished the thought before he could voice it. "--he really is...well, you know. Oh, that's a good one! Disturbing, but good. Huh, you really do have some juicy gossip there. What else you got?"

"Oh, that's not fair! It's your turn to tell me a story! Please!" She knew she should sit back, but the part of her body that was finding his bare chest highly distracting was enjoying this closeness. He had a rich scent too, that made her belly flutter.

It was storming hard outside still, the wind making the tree branches scrape against the church windows, but it looked like he'd found the secret to keeping her distracted and breaking through her defenses. Grinning, he scratched at his beard in thought. "Hmm, let's see. Well, there was the time my friend got caught on watch rolling in the tall grass with a village girl. Not only did he get laid into by our captain and screamed at by the mother, but he got a bad case of chiggers. The moral of the story is: it wasn't worth it."

"Chiggers? Really!" Tanith blinked, her cheeks going red again and she gave another laugh, distracted from her fear of the storm. She kept wanting to reach over and touch his beard. Which was just wrong, she hardly knew him!

"That must have been so awkward! I've seen some of the mothers guarding their daughters." Tanith giggled, tapping her chin, "Let me think. A juicy stor-oh! Did you know that Colin stole money from the poor box? And went drinking with it."

"I didn't know that!" Wow, she really did have some juicy gossip. Well, he'd said he'd wanted to be a fly on a confessional wall, and it looked like he had his little fly right here.

"I reckon if you're gonna sin and steal, you might as well go all the way and use it on something sinful." He chuckled. "Makes perfect sense to me. Not that I advocate stealing," he added, giving Tanith a playfully stern look. "That's wrong."

"Good. Stealing is a sin." She smiled, "To say such otherwise, so close to God's house would be dangerous."

Tanith fidgeted slightly, biting her lip, "Did you ever get to travel very far from here?" She had never been very far from the village. Occasionally she went with the father to some of the nearby villages, but nothing ever farther away than a day.

"Oh, not too far. I grew up in a small village closer to Uthlyn, but I never quite made it to Reajh. Then a few years ago I decided to move to a village here in Matron's Hollow. It's more peaceful here, and I needed a break."

He thought he knew the answer already, but still he asked, "How about you?"

"Really? Did you go to Uthlyn then? What was it like? Was it amazing?" Tanith reached over, grabbing his forearm, her eager expression making it quote obvious that she hadn't been anywhere near a big city, "Oh I bet its beautiful."

Rhindeer

Alexander smiled, a distant, nostalgic look crossing his features. "Been there once, when I was just a kid, and it was a sight to behold, that's for sure. Beautiful place, and that tower..." He gave a low whistle.

"Never seen anything like it before then or since then. You wouldn't believe a building could be so tall and not fall over! Anyway, my family went there one year for All Souls Night. If you think it's pretty here, just imagine that magnified by about a thousand. A whole city aglow by candlelight...why, it was like they were in competition with the stars. It's not something you ever forget."

He gave Tanith a thoughtful look, the smile still there, though wistful. "You ever get a chance to go, you take it."

Anonymous

Tanith stared at Alexander, entranced by his words, trying to imagine what that must be like. She couldn't really, but the idea was just so grand and beautiful. And all those lights. Her mind painted it like it was just like her village, just a little more so.

She shook her head, giving a small, sad smile, "Oh, no. I don't think I ever will. Traveling is...um...I don't do it much." It was dangerous for a marked witch to travel. Rape and violence was a constant worry, and it was hard to know how a town would receive one.

Rhindeer

"Yeah, not many people get a chance to, but if--" Alexander paused. Oh. Right. The shock of the girl's horns and feet had worn off over the course of their conversation, but it sank right back in then. A marked, deformed mage living in a church under the care of the Father. She couldn't travel. Who would she travel with? And it was dangerous enough for a man to travel alone, not to mention a woman, and a mage on top of all that.

He was being insensitive, taking his own privilege for granted. He had a family, friends, a life. He was a soldier who knew how to defend himself. And she? Well...she was probably alone.

He'd seen how mages were treated. Not poorly, but avoided.

And he was just as responsible. It made him uneasy, too, and for good reason. But this poor girl? He couldn't feel anything but sympathy for her, because who ever got to choose their parents?

Clearing his throat, Alexander rubbed the back of his neck. "Well, it is a long way off. And they sure do a good job of it here, don't they?" he asked with a smile, changing the subject. "In fact, it's coming up, isn't it?"

Anonymous

Tanith was feeling a little guilty now, how the conversation kept going to such awkward and uncomfortable places. Because of what she was, how she was marked. He had irritated her before, but he honestly was a nice man, or seemed to be.

A flash of lightening caused Tanith to flinch, her hands tightening on his arm, as she hadn't let it go yet. The roll of thunder managed to get a small meep out of her, shutting her eyes. She hated the storms, the wind howling against the walls.

She had been so angry he had shown up earlier, but now Tanith was glad he had. Tanith sat up quickly, realizing she was gripping his arm, pulling her hands back, "Sorry for that. Um, yes. Yes it is. In a few weeks. I help the Father with the candles. It's a lot of work, but it's so beautiful, isn't it? It's my favorite holiday." She smiled, "Do you have friends you celebrate it with?"

Rhindeer

Alexander shook his head and offered her a reassuring smile. "Don't worry about it." Honestly, he just wanted to reach out to her, draw her close and pet her hair and tell her it would be okay, that the storm would pass--but that wasn't his place, and that would be overstepping a lot of boundaries. Talk about awkward, and the last thing he wanted was to send the wrong message.

It was just a little sad seeing how frightened she was and him unable to do anything about it. It made her look so vulnerable--and maybe he was just an old sap for a woman in distress, marked or not, regardless of what extra parts she had. She was a sweet girl.

"So you're the one behind the big night, huh?" Alexander said, and raised his voice to speak over another peal of thunder, trying to keep her distracted. He even scooted a little closer; if she wanted to grab him for comfort, he didn't mind.

"A couple old buddies of mine always go together, them with their wives and children and I always wind up drinking far more than I should. I love the night, but I don't so much fancy the morning! What about you? You don't stay cooped up in the church, do you?"

Anonymous

Flinching again, Tanith leaned closer, cowering slightly at the howling wind. The storm was turning into a big one and Tanith struggled to focus on Alexander's words rather than the storm. She wanted to hide her face against his chest and block everything out. But that would have been a little...much. He was shirtlesss and almost a stranger.

Her voice was a little high pitched, nervous, "Oh, yes. That's me. And um, no. I like it. It's dark and people are drinking and I can talk with them. Sometimes I get to dance too. It's very beautiful and fun. Cleaning up the next morning is a bit of work, I will admit."

She had missed he was talking about a hangover. She had never had one before, but she did get the job of cleaning up the graveyard the next day.

Rhindeer

"Maybe we'll see each other there," Alexander said with a comforting smile, though truth be told, the increasing wind was starting to make him nervous, too. He'd seen several good cyclones in his life; one had even done some damage to the roof of his home and, ex-soldier or not, you couldn't fight that. But the last thing he wanted was to let her see that he was worried.

Unable to help it, he reached out and lightly placed a hand on the girl's shoulder. The way she was cowering and flinching, how small and scared she looked...hopefully he wasn't overstepping his boundaries, but he couldn't stand to see it.

"You're gonna be okay, Tanith," he said gently, meeting her eye. "This is the safest place you could be at a time like this."

Anonymous

Now he was talking about it. It was very hard to pretend the wind wasn't howling when he was bringing it up. When his hand rested on her shoulder, Tanith's odd, inhuman eyes widened and she stared up at him, hope and fear mixed in her expression, "Really? Just...sometimes when the wind is really bad, we've lost part of the roof and...and..."

Lightening cracked and Tanith jumped, making a small squeal. One arm came up and gripped his forearm tightly, "I just...they make me very nervous and can you tell me another story please?" Her voice was lightly tinged with desperation. She didn't want to talk about the storm. She wanted it to go away.

Rhindeer

Alexander gave her arm another comforting pat. Another flash of lightning lit the room and he could hear the rain pattering on the windows, whipped by the wind. "Another story? Sure, I have a hundred. Now, let's see..."

He took a moment to think, moving a little closer. The girl could use something humorous and she didn't seem to mind raunchy, though he still felt that was a little inappropriate for a young Sister, much less telling it in a house of God. But the Father wasn't about and if it would make her feel better...

"Well, there was this one time, a month after I enlisted. I was sixteen and me and a group of buddies sneaked into the duke's woods. We were planning on getting a rabbit or two, right off his property because we were young and stupid, y'know. Well, we got one, but we got far more than we bargained for because when we went to retrieve it, we ran right into the old duke himself, getting very acquainted with a young lady that was neither his wife nor nobility.

"Caught him with his pants down, alright, and he caught us poaching, and we ran like you wouldn't believe. I don't think he woulda pressed matters, anyway, looking back. We knew his secret, he knew ours, and that's how it's stayed."

Anonymous

The words didn't make the storm go away, but it helped give her something she could think about instead. Giving a short laugh, Tanith kept her death grip on Alexander's arm, "Oh no! Really? Wasn't that dangerous though? If they caught you hunting in the wood?"

Tanith knew people poached in the woods quite often, they were always confessing to the Father about it. But it always seemed such a risk to her.

Rhindeer

"You better believe it," Alexander answered, taking a chance and giving her arm a reassuring pat. "Why, if we'd been caught? It'd be our right hands at the least and our necks at the most. All depends on the lord's mood. I don't remember what sort of lord that one was--like I said, I was young and dumb and hot-blooded--but it was still a stupid thing to do. But hey, the story and the hare was worth the risk."

Giving a little laugh, he fixed Tanith with a playfully stern look. "But don't you go getting any ideas. It's dangerous."

Anonymous

"Me? Hunt? Are you kidding?" Tanith shook her head, "I'm not very much use outdoors. I don't have much chance to spend time in the woods, so I just get lost when I try." She actually enjoyed spending time out there when she could, but she was hopeless in the woods.

"And I don't think I could shoot anything. It just seems too sad." She laughed, the tightness in her face relaxing a little as she stared up into Alexander's face.

Rhindeer

Alexander decided then to get off the topic of killing critters. Wasn't really proper to talk about with a lady, and he didn't want to make her sad.

"Yeah, it's not something a girl should ever have to deal with," he said. "Woods are pretty dangerous. Never know what you'll run across. But there's some awfully pretty spots, too, if you know where to look."