Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Delivery Disrupted

Started by TreeFolk, April 12, 2015, 11:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreeFolk

Hadn't she just said where she wanted to go? Kieta stopped in the street, releasing a short sigh of aggravation. "Brandy intersection. It's on the outskirts of this city, where your man first stole my pack from me." She gestured to the surrounding darkness. "And as it's now dark, the man I was supposed to meet will likely not show up until the sun rises. So I will not be paid until morning."

She looked about, frustrated with her current predicament, frustrated that she was so hopelessly useless with city directions. Groaning, she relented. "Perhaps, since this is your city, you can lead us on the quickest route there. Thus ensuring that I can get the coin to pay you." She thought darkly to herself, The greedy bastard.... She still wasn't fully admitting aloud that she was lost.

visualspice

"Brady?" At that revelation, Trest actually laughed.
"Well, if it wasn't obvious already you aren't from around here, it is now! Though those pointy ears of yours kinda give that away. Elves, fae and the like normally don't make homes here. The people..." he wrinkled his nose as his arms were folded across his chest. "They're prejudice; a mind set only proven by the war."

He gave a shrug and noticed how frustrated she was. And he couldn't help but let his smile grow.

"Brady intersection.." he rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "It's... basically on the other side of town."
And his eyes danced at that. How long had she been lost? Sure it was dark... but it appeared she had a map. Maybe she was just that new to Connlaoth?

With a gesturing nod of his head, he began to make his way down the road.
"Follow me. This road leads to all roads and will take us there before the moon rises. Though you said you're to meet someone, mind if I inquire who? Maybe I might know them, then you can meet up with them before morning."
And he could get that steak. He was still pretty stuck on the idea of a free dinner. Breakfast, after all, he normally skipped.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

TreeFolk

Raising an eyebrow, Kieta pressed the cloth again to the back of her head. "Prejudice?" She didn't have a clue what he was talking about. She kept to herself, and kept isolated. "I work the wilderness. These... cities of yours really are not to my taste." That was a huge understatement, if ever there was one. Cities made her physically sick, and weak. Now that she was so deep into one as to become miserably lost, she had made the absolute final decision that she would never enter a city again. Even if that meant losing a delivery and having to move to an entirely new kingdom.

She cringed when he told her just how far she had wandered from her intended destination. He definitely knew how lost she'd been, and even though he wore a shit-eating grin on his face, at least he wasn't verbally berating her.

At his forming a plan, she pulled out the slip of paper, easily reading it in the dark, her accent thick in the reading. "I  was supposed to meet a bread man, and he was to take me to somebody named 'The Bull'..." She looked at him, trying to keep the sheepish look she felt from creeping onto her face. She consoled herself with the knowledge that if they'd been in the wilderness, that there would be no way that he would think her helpless and stupid. But that didn't entirely alleviate the feeling from her own thoughts. If she'd just gone ahead and tackled that damn thief to begin with, instead of waiting to follow him into this irritating man's lair, perhaps she wouldn't have gotten lost.

visualspice

"The Bull? Sounds like bull shit to me." And he smirked. "But joking aside, I don't believe I've heard of a bread man, unless you're supposed to meet with Old Man Temmens, but he? He's kind of blind... but oh, don't let that fool you. He still makes the best damn bread this side of Connlaoth. Not sure how he does it, I mean, I'm in my prime and I still burn or over beat my bread." He gave a shrug at that.

"But 'The Bull'..." he rubbed his chin in thought. "Must be someone knew around here. I'm sure I'd recognize that name if I knew 'em."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

TreeFolk

Kieta drew a hand down her face in exasperation, truly sick and tired of this current job. That's it, this would be the last time that she made a delivery at all. She finally shrugged, following just a step behind him, still not quite trusting him... Especially after seeing the bit with the fainting cloth and the head knocking. "I've got the feeling that not many people in this place say a lot of truths." She gave herself the opportunity to watch the quieter, darkening streets to look around, following more his voice and footsteps than anything. She stumbled once or twice, truly feeling rotten.

"I get the feeling that he just sells bread as a form of mimicry. Sort of like moths that look like frogs, so that they are not eaten. Or harmless snakes mimicking the colors of venomous ones."

Her fingers touched the back of her head, this time feeling the clotting begin. It'd probably look rather gruesome, all hair and blood, in the morning. Still, she took the swath of cloth and wrapped it the rest of the way around her head. Something told her that this man had a way of underplaying a lot of things, and likely his comment about her ears was one she should take a lot more seriously than he made sound. She would have brought her cloak if she'd known it would be a problem.

She could feel the moon as it began to rise in the sky, and felt a wave of its strength wash over her. It was not as rejuvenating as submerging herself in water, or connecting directly to the earth would be, but it was enough to keep her on her feet. She hardly thought that he would slow down or bother helping her if she collapsed, unless he was well and truly determined to get the coin and meal out of her. In her opinion, it hardly seemed worth it. If he was a thief, why didn't he just steal whatever it was he needed? Or shouldn't he already have it, if he was as successful as he claimed?

"Is there something I should call you? Perhaps you go by something like 'The Weasel' or 'The Flea'? I assume that this odd fake name thing is a cultural behavior that I don't understand."

visualspice

Trest nodded at her assessment of those she was to meet. He had figured the same, and he didn't even know her full story. But most of these types of jobs he knew well enough, and there wasn't a lot of cleverness behind them, just that they all used the same formula to try to hide their trails.

Continuing on as her guide, he paused only at her question of his name. As it was earlier, he gave her another smug grin. "The Hawk." He told her. "But that is just a nick name. You can call me Trest, Trest Arristaire," and he extended out his hand for her to shake. Might as well be on good terms with the woman, though he was starting to like the way she looked when angry.

"Only those in my line of work coin such names. It's better to have that passed around then your birth right one. But it doesn't take a lot for one to track down a man's true alias, so I guess you could say it's just something that's popular. Heck, I've seen young soldiers and the like trying to boost their egos in a similar manner. But what's in a name anyway? An identity, sure, and roots to your family. But I think men like their faux names better. It gives them a sense of power over their identity, and a foolish sense of mystery."

TreeFolk

Kieta looked dubiously at his hand, before reaching out and giving it a brief shake. Momentarily she debated not giving him her real name, but decided that it wouldn't make a difference. "Kieta."

She quirked up an eyebrow at him. "'The Hawk'? You don't seem overly hawk-like." Her inquisition came with the implied interest in the back story behind his nickname. Despite herself, she wanted to know more about this peculiar human.

visualspice

Ooc: no worries about post length! I'm on my phone right now so Icant post incredibly long ones either. And sometimes conversations are more natural with shorter posts.

--------

"What, my beak and feathers aren't a dead give away?" And he leaned down, mocking a reach for his boot. "Want me toshow you my talons?"

TreeFolk

Kieta still wasn't accustomed to this world, and in the Otherworld it would have been entirely feasible that he could have talons hiding in his shoes. "I'd have taken you for a shifter of some kind, so of course I wouldn't be able to see feathers." She looked down at his booted feet before leveling a skeptical look at him, "But if you do have talons, they are either very small and useless, or you have very small feet. Which wouldn't make sense for your body size..."

visualspice

Trest laughed.
"I suppose you could say I have tiny talons. I've gotten complaints about my toe nails scratching, and that it hurts. But toe nails aside, why would you presume I'm a shifter? I think those types are pretty rare around here, considering Connlaoth has a negative attitude towards magical beings, and the likes. Not saying it's not a good guess.. but I'm just... well, not. I'm just a plain old human, yep, that's me! A plain old human who's very good at running his thieving business, I might add. What about you, huh? Seems like you might be freelancer?"

TreeFolk

"Your nickname being 'The Hawk', so I thought that you were perhaps a hawk shifter. But you must have some reason for your nickname. So are they just character traits? Or do you have a hawk?"

She touched her fingers to her ears, and was thankful that she hadn't been noticed earlier in the daylight. "How negative? Because I used quite a good deal of magic on you, and you did not seem all that surprised or disgusted. Disgruntled, obviously, but not surprised."

She didn't feel like answering any personal questions about herself, distrustful. She thought about the man blackmailing her into making these kinds of deliveries, and what would happen if she didn't go through with them. She knew that her blackmailer knew how useful she was, and felt lucky that he had not forced her to perform darker tasks. Yet. "Freelancer... Not really."

visualspice

"I guess you could say I'm 'hawk like'," Trest went on, leading the woman through the labyrinth of streets with ease. In fact, it seemed he rarely had to look up to a street sign or look around for a land mark, as he went on, guiding the woman past a small town square with a well and closed shops. "And not by physical features, unless you think my nose is beak like, in a charming way, I'd have to disagree. But rather hawk like meaning I'm quick, cunning, and seem to be able to maneuver into and out of places most can or will not. Though I'd have to say, the major reasoning is my keen eyes, and my sense of 'distance'. Hawks, eagles and falcons; all birds of prey, have a keen eye to see far ahead of them, and below. I have this sort of skill in foresight, and so it trickled down into such a name."

He shrugged after his long winded reasoning and added, "I only use it to intimidate, or try to sweet talk people, using it as if it makes my business more valuable. And for the most part, it works. Someone with a reputation makes a buyer or potential client more confident in buying our wares or simply hiring myself or my men for a job. Whatever pays the bills, naturally."

And here he paused, about a street away from their destination when he caught sight of her ears and thought to her comment about them. And seeing how her hair fell about her ears and cheek in an awkward, wind blown sort of way, he reached over to brush it and tuck it behind her ear and found his lips tugging into a leftward grin.

"And I'm not exactly like most Connlaothians. If you stick around Connlaoth, you're sure to notice that. Also.." he went on, gesturing down the way. "There's Brady Intersection." And his grin was rather smug and proud they made it there in such a timely manner, and just as the night bell began to toll.

TreeFolk

Listening intently to his story, she was surprised by how genuinely he was responding to her question. Even though she still felt rubbed the wrong way by their earlier encounter, he was actually sticking to his word and answering her honestly, if not sarcastically. "Hawks are known for their skills in strategy, which also makes sense from what I've seen from you..." A smirk graced her lips as she looked up at him, "Though I can't say strategies to get a free dinner are all that impressive."

Kieta felt a blush flush across her cheeks at the sudden contact, frozen momentarily during the moment, eyes wide and surprised. The progression of emotions moved quickly across her face before she was able to look away, stepping a step or two away from him to create more distance. She wasn't accustomed to receiving attention such as this from men, and in the moment had been suddenly aware that she found him attractive. He was certainly more attractive to her than most members of her own race, who tended to be much slighter in structure.

She was glad for the distraction, looking in the direction he pointed her. Self-consciously she smoothed her hair back over her ear, looking back from him and feeling suddenly brought back to reality by his smug grin. The rest of her blush left her face, and she readjusted her pack. "Well, might as well check to see if there's any way to find my meet ups."

They walked together towards the intersection, Kieta looking around for any signs of the Bread Man. The sound of heavy boots alerted her to the arrival of a large man, her nose catching the scent of bread. She turned, temporarily amazed by her luck... but her amazement turned to worry as she saw several more men appear beside the large man, and she turned to look behind them to see that they were being surrounded. The large man who smelled of sour bread held a large mallet in his big, meaty hands, wearing an apron caked in dough. "What took you so long to make it with my boss's package, lass?"

Kieta slowly opened her pack, reaching into it and pulling the parcel out. "There was a... hiccup. But it's here now."

"Now, now, what makes you think you can just stand me up like you did?" He tutted, pounding the mallet into his open palm, "My boss don't like to wait, and now he wants to see you himself. Said he wanted a personal delivery, to make sure you didn't tamper with the package during all that dawdling time you took."

Her mind raced as she began to think through possible escape plans, although there were about a dozen of them, against her and Trest. "I don't think that's going to work for me, seeing as that wasn't part of the plan. If this package is so important, you'll want it in one piece." She summoned what small power she had gotten from the moon, holding up her palm until a small flame started up in it. She held the package over the flame. "Now you all are going to let me and this... innocent... man leave. I'll place this package outside of the city in the hollow of a the old sycamore tree."

When the Bread Man responded only by giving a small nod of his chin in the direction of another man, Kieta only had a moment to recognize the shape of a dart as it made its way at her and another at Trest before she felt the sting of the dart hit her neck. Her hand reached up to her neck before she stumbled, feeling the effects fairly swiftly. She felt her limbs go numb as she collapsed to the ground, head hitting the stone of the street to add another large bump to her head.

Whatever had been in the dart created paralysis without making her lose consciousness, her eyes glued open so she was able to see the boots of the Bread Man moving towards her. He stopped in front of her, the toe of his boot tipping her head up before letting it roll limply forward. "Guess the boss was right about this one having magic. Pack her and the man up, we'll take 'em back to the boss now."

visualspice

Trest was enjoying the evening stroll, but the second he was able to see the bread man (who was more like the BEHEMOTH man), he was taken aback.
"Seems like the baker has a lot of little bakers..." he said through his teeth, and felt his hands tighten into fists. He hadn't accounted for them getting ambushed. Then again, he presumed her delivery was harmless. He thought to the dagger in his boot, but even with it, he knew they were too out numbered for him to do much of anything, and he tried to keep a grin upon him, trying to make it appear as if he was hardly deterred by their numbers, but it was the dart that did him in.

Not having expected that, a hand went to the spot it sunk in, and soon he was seething. The tingling worked fast, radiating from the neck and quickly flushed through his body. Though he tried to fight it, it was futile, and he fell over, muscles still tense, from both his strain, and that of the dart.  And much like her, he was in the same boat- still very much aware but very much unable to do thing.

His blue eyes searched the area, for something, anything offering a clue to their fate, and when he caught a small house crest on one, hooded man's figure, he wished he could see just whose crest it was.

And soon he and his new friend were thrown like sacks of potatoes, she over the hooded man's back, and he? Well, it seemed they left the big burley backer to carry him, and he was hearing whispers and perhaps snickering against the men as they observed them.

"Looks like the Hawk. Boss'll be interested in this!"

And if he could frown he would. And if he could protest he would but well, he was sort of as useless as the sack of potatoes he felt like, and could only inwardly bite his tongue. Great, now he and his enterprise were now being swallowed up into whatever this mess was. Figures he'd get into more trouble over another pretty face!

And all he could do was numbly sulk as he was forced to smell the baker's sweat and flour coated clothes. And the scent of flour and bread reminded him he hadn't really eaten much today. Ugh, and here he was actually excited at the prospect he could have gotten dinner and a date; not kidnapping and being poisoned!

TreeFolk

Kieta could feel the man's shoulder digging into her ribs, but she tried her best to focus on the vibrations to determine their direction. She wasn't as worried about the situation as she should probably have been, but she was thinking about it comparatively. This was quite a bit better than being caught by Otherworld Hunters, but still not good. That, and the men were walking towards water, which was helping to replenish her strength. It didn't make her head feel any better, and she was still feeling weak.

She heard them entering into a tunnel, which made it hard to really pinpoint where the vibrations were leading them... If they were able to escape, it would take some serious concentration to lead them back out of the network of tunnels. After some time and a considerable drop in temperature, they entered a room with considerably more light and tiled floor.

The thud of a body and a groan alerted her to the end of their journey, and soon she, too, was being deposited onto the ground. Her body was contorted awkwardly, her hair covering her face so she couldn't see anything. A hand gripped her hair and yanked her up into a sitting position, her body still paralyzed and numb. Another hand gently moved her hair out of her face, before squeezing her chin in his hand.

A weak whimper came from her strangled throat as she looked into the face of a brutish looking woman, who smiled maliciously at her. "Ah, so this is what the rare and elusive wild elf looks like. Roth told me he'd caught himself one. Looks like you've landed yourself in a bit of a predicament. I don't know how a pretty little thing has found her way under the thumb of that man, but I think he's going to give you to me."

The woman physically lifted her and placed her in a chair, and from her seat she could see as two men lifted and placed Trest into a chair beside her. The woman reached placed her hands on the arms of Trest's chair, leaning forward, "And who do we have here?" She smiled at him, too, an unkind smile spreading across her features. "I believe we haven't been properly introduced, Hawk." She gently slapped his face, patting it. "I am The Bull... And if my sources are correct, and they are, I've heard that you tried to take something that belonged to me. Now, I've let you exist in my city, but now you've angered me."

The Bull took a few steps back so that she was in both of their lines of site, sweeping out her hands. "Now, I'm not without mercy. You two can both work under me, in exchange for your lives. Of course, with some stipulations." She gestured to the Bread Man, and he came forward, shoving their chairs together and tying them down and then together. He then gestured another man forward, who came and stuck needles in both of their necks.

Kieta could feel the feeling begin to return, but slowly, so all she could do to begin with is speak in a hoarse, forced voice, though it was not quite enough to make sense yet. "Whaaht... ah..."

visualspice

Trest's expression, or rather, the expression he tried to convey as even his facial features were numb!, was nothing short of a nonplussed glare. And all he could think about was how unlucky he was, and when the woman recognized him, he wished he could roll his eyes and retort. But when he tried to speak, it came out as a senseless jumble of muffles.

Relief only came after he was tied to a chair, and he had to wonder when tying people to chairs would go out of fashion. This was twice in one day he was being bond to a chair, and it made him sigh. But even that simple sigh was awkward and he soon groaned as his throat began to tickle and some senses, beginning to return.

And once he felt his tongue tingling, he tried to talk, but more of his garbled nonesense gurgled out, which made The Bull chuckle as she moved forward to sweep away the droll off the corner of his lips.
"Careful there, Hawk, you're drooling."
And though she made it sound seductive, to Trest he was not exactly turned on. Perhaps in another scenario things could be a little kinky, but everything about this situation screamed wrong.

TreeFolk

In the effort to move her head, Kieta's head rolled to the side, a mess of attempted words gurgling from her mouth. The Bull turned from Trest to address her, "We've all had proper introductions except for you... What shall we call you?"

Kieta struggled not to choke on her own saliva, but she managed to produce a halfway intelligible word. "Fffuhckk..."

The Bulls response was swift and harsh, slapping Kieta so hard across the face that her head rolled to the other side. The Bull wiped the blood from her hand off on the front of Kieta's shirt, before pulling on Kieta's lower lip rather affectionately. "Now, now, I don't allow my employees to speak to me like that." Kieta knew at this point that they were less employees, and more slaves.

"You will both be my new errand runners. Working together, you will fetch whatever I tell you to fetch. The stipulations? Your lives in exchange for this." The Bull motioned for the Bread Man, who took a box from another and handed it to his boss. The Bull opened the box, displaying two cuffs. "Of course I need to make sure you don't run off. These nice devices will be placed on you, and if you try to betray me, they will inject you with enough poison to down an elephant." Placing the box on the ground in front of them, she smiled. "The decision is up to you, really."

"I will give you both some time to discuss the matter with one another." She turned and began to walk away, the rest of the men in the room filing out before her. "Take your time. This room is all yours for however long you should need to think."

Once the door to the room had closed, Kieta tested her fingers out, clenching and unclenching her hands on the arms of the metal chairs. Of course metal. She forced words from her numb lips, "A bitch..."

visualspice

It wasn't until the woman left did Trest attempt a groan. When would his body wake up? And would it matter? Both options before them seemed pretty awful, and once he began to feel his tongue, he started making all sorts of strange noises in attempts to get used to using that muscle again.

"Du you tink dat wuman is serus?" He shook his head, trying out his tongue again.
"Serious?" he went on, the sound of his normal voice finally breaking through what felt like lard on his tongue. Ugh.

TreeFolk

She thought to laugh, but it came out as more of a splutter, blood dripping down her lip. She rolled her head towards him, looking up from beneath her eyelashes at him. "No, I fhink she's gonna giff uhs cake an' nott kill uhs." She felt like she had marbles in her mouth.

Rolling her head away from him again, she put as much effort as she could into spitting onto the ground to clear her mouth of blood. Her voice was sluggish, "Looks like my enemy has been your enemy for a while."

visualspice

"Well," Trest went on, voice still scratchy and a bit muffled. "I do like cake."
But to see her spit out blood, the smile he wore turned to a frown. "Seemed she.." he went on, between breaths of his slow tongue, "Doesn't like you much."
And when Kieta replied about his relationship with The Bull, he tried to shrug.

"I know of her, but I don't know her. Only ran into her goons once or twice. So don't think her and I had ever been cozy. And from what I've seen, you'd be better off to flirt with the woman than I." And then he leaned towards her just a little, and added in a whisper, "I think she likes ladies."

Tags: