Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Heyyy.

Started by Jonah, August 20, 2019, 10:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonah

Friends: my name's Jonah-- well, no, I'm not going to lie to you, it's not; it's just the name of my most recent DnD character-- and your site here looks sweet and sounds swell.

I haven't done forum RP since I was in high school a long while back, but I've always loved a good story and I read a ton, so it'll be fine. I like making music, and my big thing is that I want to make a video game, so I've been working toward that a while. I really want to work on my story-telling suite, so here I am working on a character sheet.

Extras: Pottermore recently told me that my patronus is a hedgehog, which I'm totally cool with. I am fundamentally enthusiastic and sleepy, like an old labrador retriever or a very proud grandma. I geek out abundantly over such topics as video games and fantasy books, and I can make such a brunch. My pancake game is a gift.

Klezmer Gryphon

Hey there! Welcome to the site, Jonah! You're right at home here with a bunch of fellow nerds and geeks! :D

quaggan

Hello there, proud grandma! What kind of storytelling aspect do you want to improve most? I personally have no idea how to handle pacing, mood for me is just one of many unfortunate words the internet has sullied, themes are beyond me and I am as tone-deaf to writing as I am to sound. What about you?

Jonah

Pacing is a thing I need to think a lot about, too. I want to work on stretching out scenes; a lot of my fiction tends to be kind of curt, so I want to figure out where to really linger in a scene to help create the feel I want. A lot of my favorite authors and storytellers have a very lush style that somehow manages not to sound pretentious, and that's a skill I want to develop.

I work summers at a writing camp for kids, and this year's sessions just ended, so a lot of that creative energy is still spinning around in my mind, all fresh and shiny and demanding.

quaggan

Haha, I have the exact opposite problem. I end up squishing paragraphs, sometimes pages into actual seconds of time. I hope writing here helps!

Jonah

Thank you! I think it'd be good to have something that facilitates a regular writing practice, so hopefully I'll find my niche here. :)

I appreciate the good vibes!