Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sounds like Rain

Started by Draconian, February 24, 2017, 11:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Ash?  Who was Ash!?  Was that the small girl elf child that tried to bless him with magic?

Roland didn't even respond to Elk, not now anyway.  In the heat of the fray he'd forgotten about her, and he turned swiftly from the bodies and the blood to search through the carnage.  "Ash!" he barked and skirted around a tree to pull her up by the collar.  But that was only to get to her feet and then he released his hold on her and set her to the ground.

"You're alive," he muttered, stating the obvious.  "And you think quicker than you should. But maybe that's a good thing.  Today it was anyway."  His voice was something of a growl, and he looked back to the moose lady.

"You didn't run.  Regardless, you're getting blood all over your moose...."  He stared at the animal with narrow eyes.  And Friend stared right back.

"My fault or not, you should tend to that wound.  Stick mud in it."  Roland glanced to Ash.  "Get the mud, elf."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

zearea

Ash had been staring blankly at the body for sometime, and hadn't even registered that her name was being called. She was deep in her mind.

What wrenched her back to reality was a large calloused hand grabbing the collar of her robe and pulling her up like a rag doll. Fear sliced across her stony expression and she lashed out, a breathless and frankly pathetic scream slipping forth.

Magic flared, and then abruptly died as her tiny fists flailed, the elven woman's features twisting at the backlash, before realization froze her. "I-im sorry, I thought you were another highwayman." She gasped, instant regret flitting across her face.

Roland's other words registered and she turned, finally noticing the gigantic creature. In fright she skipped back a few steps, back thumping into the tree she had been hiding behind with a soft 'omph'. "What is that!" She exclaimed, azure eyes trailing over the creature before abruptly jerking to Elk. "Elk? What..." Ash blinked, gaze finally noting the blood. "You're hurt." Horror laced her tone, the red head who had abruptly forgotten the moose reached down, gathering two handfuls of mud and rushing to Elk's side.

She winced, inspecting the gouge, then turned to Roland. "You want me to cover it in this mud?" When confirmation was had by the burly anti-mage, the tiny woman began to gingerly pat her handfuls of mud against the wound.

Sent from my ZTE BLADE B112 using Tapatalk

Draconian

You're hurt.

"Yes," she confirmed, confused. Friend snuffed at Rolands head and Elk watched the going ons. Elk knew it wasnt a terrible wound, the arrow having only gotten the meat of her thigh. Of course, they were only helping but she wiggled away after the first pat of mud. She could pretend to be tough, but having a wound packed with mud sent a strong jolt of pain.

"I'd be able to heal it if the Silencer wasn't here," she sneered af Roland, mouth drawing into a thin frown, "he makes us unable to use it. He makes everything feel dull. Plain." Elk chewed on her lip and nudged Friend. "This is Friend," Elk announced, nudging the moose forward, "he won't bite unless you bother him."

Another frown to Roland, "Where were you going?"

Lion

"There are means of healing more than magic," Roland nodded to Elk. He didn't like her. She smelled like wet dog.  Even if he didn't mind the odor, her attitude somehow made it worse. He glanced back to the small elf girl, the one this 'Elk' had referred to as 'Ash.'

"Thanks, that's enough. This really isn't the time for conversation. These bodies will bloat and smell soon. I think I'll be on my way, thanks for the help.  I won't forget it."  The least he could do was grin, reaching out to shake the muddy hand of the elf girl and offering a hand to Elk although Friend did not seem pleased that this man was reaching out to touch her.

Roland wiped his hand against his pants and moved toward the bodies to see what could be salvaged. "If you're going to stick around, you two. You might as well make yourselves useful, and see what can be utilized among the dead. They can't take it with them anymore."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

zearea

Ashlia pulled away from Elk when she wiggled in pain, her gaze shifting to Roland. "A silencer? Ah, that makes sense, there were a few in Reajh... But I  was told to stay away from them." The woman's voice grew lower, and she leaned against Friend, a slight smile forming as she eyed the animal. "Hello Friend, it is nice to meet you."

Ashlia frowned as she watched Roland rummage through the corpse, pointed ears drooping low. She was still very much pallid, the adrenalin starting to subside. "They are really dead... I-I can't, it never crossed my mind that I would have to k-kill someone."

Now not only white, but also green, the little elf suddenly sprung from Friend and darted behind a tree, the sound of heaving and of wetness splashing against something soon following suit. "God, I killed someone." The horror returned and so did a myriad of other ill emotions.

This was the life she had run to? Fearing death, either her own or by her own hand against another and from others?

Ash whimpered, leaning forward and holding herself up against the tree for support, head hanging as what little she had managed to eat was expelled.

Sent from my ZTE BLADE B112 using Tapatalk

Lion

Roland turned swiftly at the sound of vomit striking the ground.  He frowned and stood up from his rummaging. The bodies weren't going anywhere and when he made it back to camp, Red Legion scouts could take what supplies were worth taking. But for now there was the matter of these two stragglers.

He debated for a split second ending them both there. They likely were of no use other wise. But then again....maybe they had a use after all.

He walked over to Ashlia, avoiding the puddle she made and frowning at her. "It'll pass," he said, trying to sound reassuring. "People die every day, and if you didn't defend yourself, you'd be dead just like these men. Feel your remorse and move on. You lived another day."

He glanced back to Elk on the giant moose and he gave a speculative scowl.  "If I'm a Silencer, then what are you?  Both of you are mages?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Elk didn't understand.

A look down at the bodies from Friend and she tilted her head at the sight of guts. The brains. She supposed it could be off putting. All she saw was wasted life and ruined clothing. Pity. She was pulled from her musings by the Silencer and she turned her bright blue gaze to him. The first sounds of chirps could be heard and Elk hadn't realized how late in the night it had gotten.

Dawn was on it's way. It wasn't light yet but the animals were waking up and soon the sky would wake up too. Elk nudged Friend along so she didn't have to wake and the moose meandered forward, looking bored and he probably set a mental tally for future treats.

"I am a mage," Elk said, shoulders back and head held high, she looked to the little elf, "I assume she is one as well." A tilt of her head and Elk looked over her shoulder briefly, remembering that she'd hucked her axe and pulled out a dagger that had been shoved into the fabric along her thigh. The blade was burnt looking and obviously brittle and she pointed it at Roland.

"Do you intent to kill us?" Her voice was level and she kept her chin up, "I will protect Ash and you don't look like much trouble for me."

zearea

The darkness hid her face for the most part, but for the icy blue light of her eyes which cast a tiny radius out at Roland when he approached her, the elf hearing his footfalls behind the loud 'Ba-boom' of her pulse in her head. That was a sure sign of a headache coming along...

Roland's re-assuring words only marginally abates her churning horror, the scarlet haired elf wiping at her mouth with the back of her hand and straightening, right hand curling about her form. Flicking her wrist, she casts the ill smelling grime away, and then cupped her forearm, feeling the hard surface of one of her cuffs hidden beneath the sleeve of the robe. The feel of the enchanted silver was oddly calming.

That calm shattered upon the 'Silencer's' next words and she stiffened. Roland was between her and Elk, if Roland went at her she wouldn't stand a chance without her magic. Ash shrunk back, partially hidden behind the tree and looking ready to bolt as she flicked her bewildered gaze between the two. He had helped them, albeit he had no choice, and Ash had foolishly forgotten that as a Silencer, he might just turn on them. "I am sure he would not... right?" Her question was directed to Roland, her gaze settling on him with nervous hope, and Ash sucked in a surprised breath when Elk stated she would defend her. That was unexpected!

Lion

Roland blinked at the pair and he stepped back, wary. He shook his head, frowning although it was not because they thought ill of him all of a sudden. Clearly the disheveled Elk girl didn't much care for him and this Ash clearly was scared.  He couldn't blame them, the highwaymen following him down the slope here in the first place was kind of his fault. But he didn't control what they did.

Instead he grinned at the pair and laughed, pulling out his blade to clean it and carefully place it back, the sheen glinting only once in the light. "I am no longer one of those 'Silencers' as you call it. I'm not one anymore anyway. I can't turn off my abilities, but I won't harm either of you. You helped me, and for that I'm grateful."

He extended his hands for them to shake instead, first Ash then Elk.  Although the moose looked at him with as much disdain.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Elk had either lost her weapons or didn't bother to pick them up. With enough fights going on along the roads she'd find more knives and daggers. Axes. She frowned at Roland, shoulders back, ignoring the painful throbbing in her leg. More birds chirped and she let her eyes fall closed for a moment.

Normally, Elk did her business in towns and villages and left.

She wasn't known but most of the middle of no-where villages were aware of the strange girl that wandered around on a moose and occasionally ate a hot meal. For the most part though she had little experience with actual living humans and Elk looked to Ash to Roland and then to Rolands hand.

A pause and she leaned in, looking at his hand and frowning before she took it and brought it to her face to look at the palm better. "I don't understand, I don't want your hand," She tossed his hand back to him - her own covered in her sticky drying blood - and simply frowned at him. "I'm sorry you killed your horse," She looked down at Friend who was pressing his nose to Roland's back, finding the new smell interesting.

Friend had no contact with men, apparently.

"You should take Ash somewhere safe then. I don't think she can survive in the forest," Elk wasn't requesting this of Roland, she was telling him.

Lion

"If I'm going anywhere, it's back to my own camp. Which I was strayed far away from when those men saw me and came after."  He shrugged and looked to Ashlia. "The pair of you are more than welcome to follow me. To at last come and get some food and drink.  It'll be my way of thanks.  And your moose is welcome too."

He bowed his head and forgot about rummaging through the dead bodies this time. A patrol could go back for them.  Slowly he made his way uphill, trudging through the mud and blood that littered the slopeside.  Roland made his way back to the path where his horse had broken it's neck.  Poor sod.  Still that was meat to be had.

It was better than starving to death.

[Not sure if you guys want to follow him back to his encampment. Elk is uber grumpy :U]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

zearea

Hesitating part way behind the tree, Ashlia peered at Roland's extended hand, then lifted her chin to see that he was smiling, even laughing apparently. Indecision flashed across her face for a brief moment, before the tiny scarlet haired elf moved from her hiding place to take the man's offered hand. "It is a gesture of goodwill Elk." The elf murmured with a slight smile, and slipped into a bow, her tiny hand engulfed by his.

Pulling away. Ashlia's cheeks would redden and she threw Elk a frown at the blatant doubt in her ability to survive and her lips parted, only for the tiny woman's lips to slam shut against one another. Who was she kidding? "A meal would be nice..." Her azure gaze fell to the fire pit, the lid askew on the pot of soup she had been cooking before Elk and Roland had turned up. The pot was now filled with mud, charcoal and blood.

Pulling her gaze away, Ash moved to follow Roland but would pause to glance over her shoulder at Elk. "Will you come as well Elk, even for just awhile for food? It seems a waste to depart on such a bad note..." She gestured toward the carnage vaguely.