Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Thoroughfare

Started by visualspice, January 20, 2023, 01:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: Tags to @DragonSong 

-----------------

It was quite the impressive entourage, not that he'd care for it. But a man of power from the North visiting it's Southern neighbor had to show some strength. It was expected of him, and was the means of his brief escape from the damned war.  He trusted his people little to care for the duchy in his absence- but truly, could they do much more damage than himself?

Duke Leif Arrant lounged soberly in his carriage, the thing rocking back and forth as they traveled at a brisk pace down the road. They had managed to leave Connlaoth with little trouble, surprisingly enough, and were just beginning down Serenian roads. He knew it would be somewhat of a lengthy excursion, with undoubtedly more boring landscapes along the way.

But the good luck couldn't last. And while a broken wagon wheel could put them out for a good many a days, the sudden death of a horse was hardly planned. There was no way a single horse could manage to carry such a haul, and it was decided that the carriage be abandoned for now and they would merge the human cargo with Duke Arrant's- meaning he'd no longer be alone in his own carriage as they traveled down the road. It irritated him he couldn't remain in solitude, but he had suffered far worse in his time.

So after reloading the cargo between the pack horses and the carriage horse that had remained, the group would continue onward down the road into Serendipity.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

The sudden shift in their travel arrangements sent the Bartok nobles and their household scurrying for a bit before they managed to get everyone sorted--they needed at least two people in the carriage with Leif in order to even things out, and, well...

"You lads will have a roaring time together, I'm sure," Jaren assured his son his son's almost-brother-in-law, clapping both Mikhail and Andreas on the shoulder. "The duke seems..." He trailed off into a "coughing fit" as he clearly struggled to come up with something flattering to say about Reina's surly guest, then finally settled on, "He seems a very upright sort of gentleman! I'm sure the lot of you will get on famously."

"Of course, my lord." Andreas dipped into the perfect little half bow that Misha was hating more and more each time he saw it. He gave his father a droll wave before climbing into the carriage with the aforementioned duke, eyeing him warily.

"The others may not know how you and Reina met, but I do," he said in a low, quick whisper before Andreas joined them in the carriage. "I've got an eye on you, your grace."

He quickly such up when Andreas climbed into carriage and seemed to face a sudden, unenviable choice: to sit beside Reina's duke, or Mikhail himself.

visualspice

If Leif was put off or intimidated,  the presumption would be laughable at best. He was easily the senior, superior and most experienced of the men, and the air about him reeked of that authority.

It was naturally presumed the two 'boys' would share one bench.

And if Duke Leif Arrant were perturbed by Mikhail's words, it hardly showed. He had better things to worry about than Reina's brother's so called presumptions. He was a Duke, and though this were Serendipity, he wouldn't hesitate to show a man his place.

"Gentelmen, make yourselves at home. It will be a long journey."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Awkwardly, Andreas shuffled into sit beside Mikhail. Both young noblemen scooted as far as the carriage would possibly allow from each other, each looking out his respective window.

Andreas did at least manage to remember his manners enough to dip his head to the duke and say, "Thank you, your grace."

Silence.

Long, long silence.

Mikhail coughed into his hand.

Andreas shifted in his seat.

Finally, the younger Connlaothian lord cleared his throat and tried, "Ah, your grace--forgive me, things were rather...hectic as we were leaving. What is--that is, why exactly--err..."

"What are you doing here, again?" Mikhail asked blandly, earning a sharp glare from Andreas. Whatever. He was used to it at this point.

visualspice

Andreas and Mikhail's tension was palpable. It almost rivaled his own distaste of the situation. Atleast they understood their rank. His atleast earned him peace enough.. or rather the bench to himself. 

However,  peace would have to wait.  It seemed the men were more interested in himself. Leif stared at the young heir of Allar, his expression indifferent as he considered his reply. 

"Much the same as yours,  I imagine.  I'm extending my hand in diplomatic relations.  The war is at a stand still,  and I'm still a Duke who need run his lands. Serendipity is our neighboring country, one we trade with well. Would it not do us well to further extend our agreeable agendas?"

DragonSong

Andreas nodded, seemingly accepting that answer, even if he still looked thoughtful. Mikhail gave the duke a hard look.

Bullshit, he mouthed pointedly, out of view of the Allar heir.

visualspice

The Duke said nothing,  rather giving Mikhail a subtle look of challenge. He could admire the man well enough.  He probably feared this would lead to a marriage of his sister.

In some ways the young Lord wasn't wrong. But he wasn't here to poke the bull. For now,  Leif Arrant had to stick to civility,  even if it meant playing nice... sharing his carriage... talking... nicely.

His attention then went towards Andreas. He nodded.
"Your sister must be grateful for your company south.  Have the two of you ever been to Serendipity?"

DragonSong

Andreas shook his head, clearly resisting the urge to shoot a glare in Mikhail's direction.

That seemed to be an impulse he struggled with quite a lot.

"No, we haven't. Gavriella hasn't really traveled all that far from our duchy or the town estate," he replied blandly, clearly well-versed in smalltalk.

Misha groaned and let his head thump against the window. It was going to be a looooooong ride.

In the coach with Lord and Lady Bartok, Reina had taken it upon herself to make her soon-to-be sister feel at home.

"We should be entering the highlands soon," she told Gavriella, smiling in a friendly sort of way. "Wait until you see, they're quite lovely."

visualspice

Leif nodded at that. 
"Your father is right to keep a good lady at home.  But also is equally wise to allow her the pleasure to travel. She is fortunate to have a brother such a yourself to join her. "

‐------

Gavriella nodded,  turning from Reina and starting at the distant hills,  the horizon. 
"I thought Serendipity might be different. But.. it's much like Connlaoth. "

DragonSong

"Oh, it is here," Reina replied, "but wait until we're closer to home. Our grounds are really quite lovely, I think you'll like it there."

Her expression softened kindly and she reached over to touch the younger woman's hand gently. Lowering her voice, she added, "I'd be happy to show you around, when we arrive. You'll be running the estate in due time, you know." Her lips quirked on one side. "I'm sure that seems intimidating, but don't worry—Misha's really very easy to manage, once you know the tricks. I'll teach you."

Misha groaned theatrically. "Dear gods, are all your countrymen this dull?"

Andreas snapped his head around to glare at him, opening his mouth to retort angrily before his manners caught up with him and he snapped it shut. He looked back out his window, seething.

visualspice

Leif didn't smile as he looked at Misha, but there was a strange playfulness to his eyes. Ahh, to be that young again. And so ignorant to the politics of one's neighbor.

"Shall we speak of something more towards your liking?" The duke inquired, eyes only on Misha.

--‐-----  

Gavriella sighed, not with relief but she did breathe a little easier.
"Perhaps I should be gathering more information about him. As his sister.. I'm sure you've got much to say for him. How he'd like to run his estate, his favorite games, places to visit, church he attends.."

DragonSong

"Oh? Let's do, please." Misha leaned forward and grinned, eyes hard. "For example, your grace, what precisely are your intentions toward my sister? Her specifically, none of this "political alliance" bullshit."

Andreas choked, eyes wide. That was hardly proper.

"Oh, dear heart, I know everything about my brother," Reina laughed. "Most namely that he has absolutely no interest in running the estate, so whatever you decide I'm sure will be quite fine."

"Reina. Darling." Her mother gave her a frosty smile. "You'll make the poor thing nervous."

Reina huffed and sat back, rolling her eyes. Flicking open a fan, she hid her face behind it and mouthed to Gavriella, Seems I've annoyed her.

visualspice

Oh dear, perhaps she should have been more thoughtful of her words.
"I only mean that I don't want to fail your son.  Coming from Connlaoth, I just wish to be sure I conduct myself properly to prepresent your home as it ought to be."

She hoped the words weren't too flowery, but oh how her hands sweat with nerves.

------‐‐-----

Leif didn't flinch nor seemed offended by Misha's brash words. He already had the young Lord figured out on a shallow level. It only made sense he'd be protective of his sister.

"To put it simply? I owe her a favor. And I always pay my debts."

DragonSong

"Oh, you'll do fine, darling, I'm sure," Reina said with another smile behind her fan. Lowering her voice, she added, "Mother is just testy because she doesn't like it when I tell the truth about matters of the estate."

"A favor," Misha sniffed, clearly unconvinced. Andreas glowered at him.

"Ah...just how long are you planing to stay to repay this...favor, your grace?" the younger nobleman asked cautiously.

visualspice

Leif observed Misha unenthusiastically before replying simply, "Until the debt is paid."

Meanwhile... in the other carriage...

Gavriella frowned at Reina. She'd feel better hearing it from her ladyship, but she supposed She'd always need to deal with courtly airs. 

"Thank you," She told Reina, softly. Her smile turned more genuine now. At least her soon to be sister in law and herself were establishing a friendship. 

DragonSong

Andreas nodded. "Ah. Of course. Er, thank you." He lapsed into the awkward silence that seemed to have engulfed the carriage.

Reina smiled at the younger noblewoman and gave her a quick wink behind her fan. "My pleasure," she murmured. Her smile softened and sobered a bit at the edges and she added, "Don't hesitate to come to me if you need anything, okay? I love my brother dearly, but--well. Let's just say he may not think to accommodate all a lady's needs." She sighed. "He does mean well, he's just...an idiot."

visualspice

Gavriella peeked up at Reina, tilting her head curiously.
"I.. would like to learn more about him," She asked softly, trying her best to do so so Reina's mother could not hear. 

After all.. they were ro be married. How was she to live with someone she didn't know?

DragonSong

Reina positively beamed at her. "Oh, well I can certainly help you with that," she whispered back. "What would you like to know?"

visualspice

The young woman blushed.
"I..." the thought trailed off as she feared the Lady, her soon to be mother in law, might hear and cast judgement on the way she inquired about her son.

"Just what sort of man he is. His hobbies.. his likes and dislikes...I... hadn't gotten the time to really talk with him personally back home." She said the last part with a lowering of her head, as if ashamed. She squirmed a little uneasily, sparing a glance at Reina.. then her mother.

DragonSong

Catching the way her soon-to-be-sister looked at the current Lady of the estate, Reina winced and nodded behind her fan to show she understood Gavriella's reluctance. She held up a finger in a "Wait a moment" gesture before folding her fan in her lap and beaming at her mother.

"Mama, we're making good time--do you think we might pause for a picnic lunch? I could do with stretching my legs."

"Oh, well." Her mother hummed a moment, considering, then nodded. "Yes, yes, I suppose that will do." She signaled for the carriage to stop, and Reina only waited a moment before leaping down and offering Gavriella her hand.

"Walk with me a moment, would you?" she offered meaningfully.