Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Best Behavior [Spicy!]

Started by Rhindeer, April 09, 2023, 01:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

"Try not to get into too much trouble this time. Just try. Do you think you can manage that this time?"

They were the first words out of Professor Cain Syrrus's mouth as he and Pepper approached the gates of Airelos University, the elderly man sat atop his chestnut gelding while Pepper awkwardly rode atop an older tawny mare. She had learned to ride while traveling with Cain, but she was convinced it would never feel natural--and she was still scared to death of the blasted horse no matter how gentle Cain assured her she was. Somehow, though, she had survived the trip from Moonspear to Darken Vei.

Now she just had to survive their stay there.

She was still, technically, serving out a previous punishment in response to a much earlier offense at her own University back in Arca: work for Cain for a month doing boring menial work or whatever. She had served only a portion of her suspension before things had...gone to hell in a hand basket, to say the least. Trusting a wolf, nearly getting sold as a slave. She had been allowed to recover back at the University for a time, but they hadn't forgotten her sentence, much to her dismay.

She had hoped they would, but...here she was. Cain wanted to study and translate some dusty old scrolls the University had here, and she was to be his scribe. Ughhhh...

Pepper scoffed and adjusted her large, floppy hat, setting it at a jaunty angle. "Don't worry so much, old man," she said. "I toldja, I've changed. I'm better now. Wiser and stuff. Lessons learned an' all that." She rolled her shoulders back and grinned. "Ain't gotten in a fight in a whole month!"

Cain arched a bushy brow, and Pepper pulled the brim of her hat down over her eyes, the jaunty look gone. "Oh c'moooon, man. Pushin' Arianna don't count if she pushed me first, 'kay? Weren't MY fault she fell in horse shit. Not like I was aimin' fer it."

"You were."

"Not," Pepper shot back with a frown. Cain's Disappointed Dad look made her reconsider, shoulders hunching. "Okay, maybe just a little 'cause it was there. Stupid floozy deserved it."

"Pepper..."

"I'm kiddin', I'm kiddin'! Cross my heart, Cain, ya got nothin' to worry about. I'll be on my best behavior, promise."

They had arrived around dinner time, so Pepper was excused from work and allowed to settle. She was shown her room, given a rundown of the layout, and then she had the evening free to herself.

It had gone well at first.

Then came dinner in the mess hall.

Naturally, the students here were curious about a new student who spoke and dressed differently from them. Pepper always preferred baggy robes that hid her figure and she spoke like an uneducated urchin, so she was used to being a tempting target, especially for the privileged, insecure sorts that were all obsessed with hierarchy.

What these sorts never expected was a target that was fully prepared to fight back and fight dirty.

She didn't start it. She had been eating her stew peacefully by herself, brooding over all the boring busy work she just knew was waiting for her tomorrow, when some idiot boy came up and knocked her hat off her head.

"Hey!"

Pepper bristled, twisting in her seat and glaring daggers up at the too-pretty fop smirking down at her. Right. Best behavior. With a huff, Pepper reached down to pick it back up, but the guy stepped on it before she could. "I'm doing you a favor, dummy," he said, "No one's worn that style in like ten years. Leave it."

"Don't care," Pepper grit out, and tugged at it. "Step off."

"Like I said, I'm doing you a favor. You stand out enough as it is, newbie. You're only making yourself a target. Besides, you look better without it."

"Don't care," Pepper repeated, but stopped tugging because she didn't want to tear it. "Move."

"You'd look even prettier with a smile," he added, and Pepper felt her blood rush to her cheeks—not in a flustered blush, but an angry one. Her glare hardened and she bared her teeth in a grimace, the closest thing to a smile he was getting. "Aw, c'mon, don't be like that, honey. You know, I'm kind of a big deal around here—" He ground his boot into her hat as he spoke. "—so it's best you learn your place early, see. Now, why don't you give me a smile—"

He had started to touch her face. The instant his fingers brushed her chin, all bets were off.

"Don't fuckin' touch me!" She kicked him. Hard. Right between the legs. With a howl he went down as she bolted from her chair, but she didn't get far. He grabbed her ankle and she toppled with a yelp.

Everything after that was a bit of a blur.

She didn't mean to get into a fight on her first day there, and yet somehow she found herself rolling on the ground with that asshole, nose and lip bloody where he'd punched her, but his eye was already swollen shut and darkening fast from her own blow. At first, with his nuts no doubt aching, it had seemed she had the upper hand—but then he got her beneath him and straddled her, and punched her in the face, and she thought, okay, maybe she had escalated things a little too quickly.

Well. Shit.

Cain was gonna kill her for sure if this guy didn't.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

It was the best of times...
It was the worst of times...
It was the lunch of times...
And it seemed today wasn't any different than the last. There was always some kind of drama happening in the damn cafeteria. It made sense, however, toss a bunch of young adults and teenagers into the same room together, you're bound to get some sort of disturbance.

Today he was late, so he hadn't the pleasure to witness the full show. Although, it wasn't his fault he left his cigarettes behind. Or at least that was the reason and he was sticking to it. He had been outside the cafeteria, casually puffing away at a cigarette when the commotion inside caught his attention. 

He peered over his shoulder, spying the well known trouble maker when he realized, with a pause in his cigarettes' inhalation.. that there was a fight.

"Shit."

He exhaled through his nose and turned to saddle up and over the open window he had been looming beside. He noted a crowd had already gathered, and the damn jack ass was getting the upper hand.

Not today.

He pushed his way through the crowd, those that spotted him actually getting out of the way, whispering his name- and every other nick name and story about him they could muster. There was always some fresh story or another about Connor Mattherson, one he managed to pick up about a fire at the library and he thought idly, 'Well, that one's new.'

Paying no heed to the crowd, Connor approached as the fight seemed to be going poorly for the fool on the ground. And he noted, with a grimace, it was... a girl.

A cigarette was flicked in the attacking boy's direction, which startled him briefly from his next swing. The half smoked cigarette bounced off his forehead, lit ash exploding into small bits of debris before the thing landed, bouncing away from the girl's head. And in the next half a second, the bully was being blown clear cross the cafeteria, his body bouncing off the furthest set of lunch tables before he landed in a heap of debris. 

Now a new shadow stood over the girl, a quiet and tall man, imposing almost with deep brown eyes and long, blonde hair worn back in a tail. After a moment of silently staring at the girl, he noted the strange lump of material on the ground, with an obvious boot shape smashed into it. He lowered himself down to pick it up, dusting it off - and taking his time about it- before presenting it to the girl before him. And in the motion, she might have noticed, he had picked back up his cigarette and it was resting, tip down, from his lips.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Pepper had been blocking her face with her arms, anticipating the next blow--but it never came. She heard a yelp and felt a rush of wind, and suddenly the weight on her was gone.

Startled, she slowly lowered her arms from her bloodied face right as a new shadow loomed over her, her lavender eyes meeting the brown ones of a tall, blond guy. She blinked at him slowly, a little dazed and sore and shaken, but slowly pushed herself up to sit when she saw he'd picked up her smashed hat.

He held it out to her, and she took it slowly, frowning down at it. It was dirty, but it wasn't irreparably damaged, thank the gods. She really liked that hat, dammit!

"Er...thanks?" she said, eying him cautiously, and plopped it back onto her head. She wiped her wrist across her nose and mouth--which did little to clean up the blood leaking from her and really just smeared red across her face and arm. "I had it, though. Ya didn't hafta help."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

The man just watched her, the crowd around them still mulling about to see what might happen next. But the blonde man seemed indifferent. However, at her statement she 'had it', he raised a single brow at her, ash and smoke collecting leisurely between the pair as he stared.

Then he reached into a pocket and handed her a rumpled handkerchief.

"Your nose is bleeding," he told her casually.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Yeah, okay, he didn't look too convinced that she 'had it'. And it was true, she had been getting her ass wrecked, but old habits died hard. She was in a brand new environment and the last thing she wanted was to look weak.

Still she took the offered handkerchief, waving it to clear a little of the smoke that was coalescing between them before pressing it to her running nose. "He gotta cheap shot on me, s'all," she said, and with a grunt she moved to stand.

She swayed as soon as she straightened, and shot out a bloody hand to grab his arm out of reflex.

visualspice

Connor watched her, eyes twinkling in silent amusement. But then she swayed, holding onto him and he, found himself holding back onto her to steady her. He cocked his head to one side quizzically, before determining her condition himself and- he suddenly scooped her up, bridal style, into his arms and began to make his way towards the infirmary.

The students around them began to murmur, wondering just what was going on-
and then some school officials nearby noticed- but not just the antics but the-

"CONNER MATTHERSON! ARE YOU SMOKING INSIDE THE CAFETERIA!?"

But he paid them no mind. The girl needed to lay down. The infirmary would be their safest bet.

Rhindeer

"What the—hey!" The guy scooped Pepper up before she realized what was happening, and she flailed in alarm and wrapped her arms around his neck to hold on, afraid of being dropped. "Whoa, hey, put me down!!"

Her face flushed crimson, hidden only slightly by the blood crusting on her skin. Ahhh! And she was probably getting blood all over him now too, gripping him with hands that had been holding her face and that handkerchief. Mortification filled her in a hot rush, and a little confusion and panic at being carried gods knew where, and she kicked and squirmed in an effort to wriggle free.

"Where're ya takin' me?! Leggo!"

What the hell kind of place was this?! Getting beat up on her first day, now fucking kidnapped?! Once was enough, thanks! She was not doing that all over again! She shot a frantic look at the officials calling him—Connor?—out for his smoking, of all things—his smoking! Not the fact that he was hauling a girl off somewhere?! "Hey! Help!"

visualspice

The blonde man turned towards the school attendants and gave them a little wave, then plucked his cigarette out and snuffed it against a nearby wall. And then the girl began to squirm and Connor had to juggle to hold on.

But before he could explain himself, the pair were toppling over- making a loud noise as they fell... and thankfully they had moved onto the hallway where there was less of a crowd. 

The fortunate thing was the girl landed ontop of him so he cushioned her fall. The unfortunate thing was the girl was ontop of him... so he had cushioned the fall. He rubbed at his head where their skulls had collided and eyed the girl.  

Rhindeer

Well, if it wasn't the consequences of her own actions.

Connor toppled, and Pepper let out a squeal that was cut off by a grunt at the impact and a flash of blinding pain as her forehead smacked against his. For a moment she just lay there, dazed, but then she realized she was laying atop something warm and softer than the ground.

Of course. Of course she would land sprawled atop him like something out of a trashy novel.

Blushing despite her pain, Pepper pushed off of Connor and flopped over next to him with a groan, rubbing at her forehead. "Sunnuva bitch, are ya tryin' to kill me?" she whined.

visualspice

Connor continued to rub at his smarting head.
"Something like that. But I didn't know I was tending to a pile of squirming bricks. "

Rhindeer

"Bricks?!" Pepper shot back, her face only getting redder. Was he calling her fat? She knew wasn't built like a waif or anything, and...and okay, so she had more cushion these days than she had when living on the streets, but—! But he didn't have to put it like that

Mortified, she glared at him and folded her arms over her chest. "I ain't that heavy! And I didn't ask ya to carry me!"

visualspice

Connor eyed her, tilting his head just slightly as he regarded her. He eyed her over before moving to stand as he offered a hand to help her up.

"You're new here," he stated, not asking. He knew pretty much most of the faces that graced these halls. Memorizing faces was sort of a habit. 

Rhindeer

Pepper stared at his hand, then at her own bloodied one. With a frown, she pushed herself to her feet on her own and then pressed his handkerchief to her nose again. 

"Uhhh...yeah. No shit," she mumbled, and then winced. It came out a lot angrier than intended, but she was still shaken after the fight, her face and head hurt, and she didn't take well to getting manhandled, especially not without explanation and not by a stranger! Ugh. She didn't mean to snap, and felt a little bad for it after, but the last time she'd trusted some helpful cute guy it...hadn't ended well.

She reached up to fix her hat as it had nearly knocked loose again. "Er, sorry, it's just...it's been a day." She touched her nose gingerly, checking if was broken, and heaved a stuffy sigh. "Ya didn't help it, neither. Where the hell were ya takin' me? Ya gotta ask before ya just scoop a lady up!"

visualspice

The young man just pointed towards the infirmary. 

"You should be taking it easy incase you got a concussion. "
He studied her before giving a cool and easy smile. 
"Shall I carry you the rest of the way?" He asked, coyly.

Rhindeer

"What?! No!" Pepper snapped, heat rushing to her face anew. The first time had been bad enough—and with people watching and everything! She gripped the sides of her hat and pulled it down, as though willing it to swallow her. "I got punched in the face, my legs ain't broke."

visualspice

"I've seen larger men punched in the face who couldn't walk afterwards," he informed. But the small amusing smile he wore remained as he studied the young woman who was trying to all but hide herself in her hat.

Rhindeer

"Yeah, well..." Pepper rubbed at her face, sniffling. "Asshole hit like a girl."

Of course it would be her luck that as soon as she said those fatal words, she buckled, collapsing onto her knees as the adrenaline that had been keeping her upright drained right out of her.

visualspice

He should have expected that, but her sudden collapse caught him off guard. Good thing he wasn't smoking.  He knelt down beside her, sighing before scooping her up again. Looks like they would have to do it his way.

"Come on, just hold on. Nurse's office ain't too far from here."

Rhindeer

Once again scooped into the man's arms, this time Pepper was too woozy to protest. Okay, point proven, though she didn't like this situation any more.

She clung to him, silently wishing that she had been knocked unconscious, because oh gods this was so embarrassing. And people were watching! Under other circumstances she would have been thrilled to be carried about by a cute guy, but bad past experiences made her wary and getting beaten up and leaking blood and snot kind of took the magic out of it.

"One day," she mumbled under her breath. "I didn't last one day. I'm so busted."

visualspice

Her comment had him smirking as he carried her off oh so suave-casual to the infirmary. Despite his long strides, it seemed he was taking his time but they eventually made it, he shuffling her weight as he reached an arm out to open the door; the action requiring him to bend at the waist, face brushing past her's .

He pushed the door open with his hip and moved on through, shuffling her weight again to cradle her in one arm as he closed the door behind them. Before the door even clicked closed, the nurse was gasping as she stood from her desk.

"Connor Mattherson! What on earth.." she rushed over to their side.

Connor grunted and shifted her weight again.
"Cafeteria fight... I interfered. "

The nurse gaped. 
"Goodness, darling, look at your face! Come, get get her to the city over there so I can get a look at her."

Connor simply brushed past the nurse and obeyed, setting the young woman down with a surprising amount of care.