Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Even the Ocean Cannot Stop Justice!

Started by visualspice, February 25, 2014, 11:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

And when they opened the door, there in the corner she lay, away from the light of the window and sobbing. Leif stared into the room a moment, digesting what he saw- which was a battered form of his sister, in torn skirts and blood staining her.

"By God.."
He wasted no time crossing the distance to her, but as he reached to scoop her up, Attie let out a cry.

"NO! LEIF! DON'T TOUCH ME!" she wailed, and reared back away from him, back against the stone wall as she sobbed.

And it was here he watched her, tears streaming down her face while a pool of water gently filled the room before seeping back into the rest of the world below them that was quickly becoming  flooded with ocean water.

"Attie.. what's wrong? What's happening?"

And her eyes sparkled with fear as she shamefully whispered,
"It's me." More sobs became her "Leif...My powers... something's turned them on and I can't turn them off. I can't stop this. I can't!"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Now that they were in the relative safety of the tower, with little likelihood of being followed, Audric pulled his mask from his head.  He watched the pair helplessly a moment in silence, and then there was a soft pair of clangs as his weapons were set gently on the ground.

Carefully, as carefully as he had approached her when they had first met, he moved towards her.  "Hey, Attie.  It's Audric."  Of course it was!  "I need you to take a deep breath for me and tell me what happened."

visualspice

Her eyes turned frantically towards him as she trembled, tears still streaming down her face. SHe cupped  a hand over her lips, her face wincing as she choked on a sob before she shook her head.
"From the beginning, I can start from the beginning," she told him through a cracked voice. "The church- this... this happened before. THey tried to cure me of my powers but made them worse, awakened them more- made them more powerful. Now.."s he trembled, her entire body shaking wtih fear. "I am afraid of what they've done. They.. this happened before, and now they want to do it again. They've turned my powers on and now I'm drawing int he power of the ocean. And if.. if you don't stop me.. this.. this whole place will flood- and worse..."
She grit her teeth, fighting  back more sobs.
"But I couldn't do it. They taunted me, told me I'd be to blame- and i wanted to end this, so it'd never happen before but I couldn't do it. I couldn't jump from the window or slit my wrist. All I could do was cry."
And she lowered her head to the floor and sobbed
"I just want this to be over."

And Leif looked from his sister to Audric then back to her again as he held his sister tightly in an embrace.
Was he saying the only way to stop this was to kill her? By Ansgar's name...
what a cruel twist of fate.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Audric nodded slightly, more to himself than in response to her.  Sinking down into a crouch a few feet away, he stroked his chin a moment in thought before suggesting, out of the blue, it seemed, "Attie, I've told you before that I think you're very brave, and I admire you a great deal.  But you have to listen to me.  You aren't to blame.  It's the Church that did this, not you."

visualspice

But at his words, she shook her head.
"No... it does not matter. I know I'm being played like a pawn in a game- but it still falls on me. And I'm too weak to try to stop myself."
And hesitantly, she drew in a breath and peered at both Audric and her brother.
"But you.... surely one of you can help me where I have failed. Please.. before it is too late!"

Leif cringed at such a statement, feeling himself too numb to answer that except a weakened whispered of her name.
"Attie..."

"Please..... you must stop this. Both of you. Before more people are killed."

Ivory

Audric looked from the girl to her brother -- but there was only hopelessness there, no reassurance.

"Of course, Attie.  We'll take care of it."

But he remained unmoving, crouched in the center of the tower floor as he gazed questioningly at her brother.  He knew Leif.  He knew how much Attie meant to him.  He was a good man, but Leif had his priorities -- he always had.  And Audric couldn't hold it against him -- because, he knew, Leif would choose his sister...and, he thought, rightfully so.

visualspice

Leif cringed. He felt himself stuck between a rock and a hard place. He turned away, towards the window where he heard the sounds of raw water and the cries of people- trapped and desperate for help and his hands shook into fists.

"We have to... we have to do something. Figure this out..." he murmured, his voice raspy. And as he  moved away, he was surprised when he looked down to where Attie pressed a knife into his hand.

"Leif.. I'm begging you.."s he said, her hysteria cause her endless tears. "One of you has to kill me."

And it was here, his fingers trembled against the cold blade in his hand.

"Lest they find me again, use me for this, for worse. And to stop it. To stop it all. If I live, they win, Leif. They'll blame this on me. Or you. They want the war to get worse.. please!"

But Leif coudln't do it as he let the blade drop away as he moved away from his sister and paced against the wall like a tempered animal in a cage.

Ivory

Audric rose slowly, crossing the room to catch Leif by the upper arm.  With a hand, he gestured for Attie to stay put, and he turned his back towards her to keep their conversation somewhat private.  He spoke quickly, in a hushed tone, but, for all that, with the natural air of a commander.

"Leif, you need to get to the stables.  They're on higher ground to the west of the castle, so they should be safe for now.  There's a white mare called Sugar -- she looks dainty, but she could outrun the wind."  Or a flood.  Or the guards.  "Get her saddled and ready to go.  I'll be down in a minute."

He'd have to buy his wife a new horse...in addition to the rest of the palace.

visualspice

"What?" Leif's face twisted in confusion. "What is a horse going to do for us?" he snapped.

Ivory

Audric leveled him a stare that could have frozen the sun, had it been unlucky enough to get in Audric's way.  When he spoke, his voice was a low growl, promising little mercy.  "For once in your life, boy, put down your silver spoon and do as you're told."  Audric's grasp in his arm was tight enough to be painful -- but only for a moment.  He gave the younger man a rough shove in the direction of the door to see him on his way with a stony expression.

visualspice

Leif's expression turned soured. It was evident how much this moment pained him, to see his sister so.

"Go.." Attie told him softly, a gently hand to her brother's hair. Leif turned around, accepting her hand before kissing her finger tips and hugging her close. "I'll see you when I get back with the horse," he whispered, and pulled away from Attalia's side and hardened a gaze on Audric. "I trust you with my life, I'll trust you with hers. I shan't be long." And he whirled around on his heel and began to head back down the spiraling stone steps.

With the grappling hook returned to him, he was going to need it, and he found another tree beside a hill side not entirely gorged by the rising water, and began to swiftly make his way onto shore. Once he was on the hillside, he rushed to the stables, procured the frantic white horse Sugar, and began to lead her back out onto the soggy lands, eyes anxiously searching the water- hoping Audric knew what he was doing.....

Once they were alone, Attie raised her green eyes to Audric.

"Audric.." her voice came out soft, timid. "You know, I always liked you. You're a good man."

Ivory

Audric watched Leif go, his face remaining impassive until the younger man had gone.  When Attie spoke, his expression softened, and he turned to regard her with a sad smile.

"And you're a better woman than you want to believe."

Audric held out a hand towards her; when she took it, he kissed the top of her hand gently, as a proper gentleman should a lady.

"Attie, there are people who would move heaven and earth for you.  Only great people inspire such love."

visualspice

Attie's eyes wavered with more tears at his words.
"Yes," she spoke softy. "But I fear I must do the same for them. Audric... they warned me, threatened what they would do if I don't..." And she lowered her gaze to the ground. "You... you very well know how to stop me. You either have to kill me, or try knocking me out cold. I... they've done that to me before. It was the only way to stop me just short of killing me. And in that regard, they believed they had some sort of weapon to use. For what-t hey didn't say." She lifted her green eyes to regard his again. "Can we make this quick? I don't want to be awake when my brother comes. He'll... he'll hurt you if he sees you hurt me." ANd she squeezed his hand, imploringly.

Ivory

Audric pressed a brotherly kiss to her forehead.  "I'm sorry I couldn't protect you, Attie.  I'll never forgive myself for that."  Releasing her, he took a step back from her and leaned down to pick up one of his fallen axes.

"And Leif may never forgive me -- nor should he, and nor should you -- but he'll understand."  He dragged the thumb lightly over the flat of the blade, then lifted his eyes to meet hers.  It was the least he could do, to look her in the eye...  "Besides, he knows...  Even over my family...  I chose justice."

For his advancing age, Audric still had the reflexes of a younger man.  His arm shot out, lightning-quick, bringing the flat of his blade down into her head.  His eyes never left hers as hers rolled back and she fell into his arms.

Audric emerged from the pool of water thoroughly soaked.  Water dripped off him, cascading back into the swirling floodwaters.  As he stepped onto dry(ish) land, it formed puddles in his wake.  He was unarmed, and he had, along the way, lost his shirt.  It was draped over the human-shaped bundle he held in his arms, miraculously, somehow, more dry than he was himself.

"I told you to wait at the stable," he growled as he stepped past Leif.  Looking down at the bundle in his arms, he adjusted the shirt somewhat, then looked at his younger cohort.  "Well?  Get on the horse, man!  What are you waiting for?"

visualspice

Seeing the bundle, Leif angrily rushed to his side.
"What did you do?" he asked growling. "Let me see, Attie. Let me see her!" And he was hysterical and frantic, the tone in his voice enough to make the horse he was holding upset as it tried to fight against Leif's steel grip.

Ivory

"Leif, she's fine -- just unconscious.  But you need to take her and leave -- get as far away from the ocean as you can."

Because they had no way of knowing if her power had stopped, even in her present condition, or if when she awakened, if her powers would resume flooding the city...

"Get on the horse, Leif.  The longer you delay, the more danger she's in."  In spite of the harsh glare he gave Leif and the firmness in his tone, he held Attie quite tenderly.  "I'll hand her up to you."

visualspice

Leif stood there in shock. He wasn't sure what to say, what to do.
"But... but what if the flood waters keep drawing to her- and your city isn't the only coast line city swallowed whole?"

Ivory

"Then take her to the desert, Leif!  Whatever you do, you have to go.  Now!"  Because the alternative was to kill her...

visualspice

Leif remained stunned, his sister draped in his arms as sadness and grief and guilt tore at him- making him appear far older than his years, even through the mask. But as he held her, he noticed something and furrowed his brow.

"Audric.." he delicately opened the blanket, and peered down at his sister's unconscious form. He saw the blood, but hse was breathing, but what he didn't see was...
"There's no water drawing to her." And he peered over towards the ocean, then back down to her. Folding the clothe back over her, he nodded to Audric.

"I shall go. But keep her eyes wary. If there were men who planned this on purpose... they might be looking into the aftermath, and.... I wouldn't be surprised if they had planned for us not to ever escape alive."

Ivory

"You needn't worry about me," Audric answered with a grin that, even to him, felt a little forced.  "Take care of yourselves.  I'll do what I can to clean up the mess here."

Which wasn't going to amount to much...

"Now, go!"