Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lightning Strikes Twice [M]

Started by Lion, April 10, 2013, 01:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Bishop inspected her disheveled clothing and only took pity on her.  As much of a danger as she was to him, he couldn't find it in his heart to leave her there.  He unbound her feet as well, the wounds raw and riled up and he sucked in air through his teeth as he took her then into his arms.  He cradled her as he would have Lora if she'd fallen asleep somewhere in the parlor shortly before he'd put her to bed, resting Scarlet Bird's head against his shoulder.  "Let's find some place warm and dry and get out of this rain," he murmured, walking along.  "I think I know this place.  There's a small cave inlet not far up the path.  It'll at least be dry."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

The feeling was strange and alien, but comforting all the same. She felt so pathetic, but didn't care. She was too hollow to care, so she didn't bother to reply to him when he made his suggestion. She just lay there against him, breathing in the soft, comforting smells from his skin, and from the rain.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

Her wrists were raw and bleeding and Bishop said nothing more as he continued on their path.  He didn't have to speak and preferred to just listen to the sound of the rain, the clash of thunder, the sting of lightning in the sky.  He too was shivering and his muscles tightened with the cold that was seeping into his very bones.  When at last they'd made it to the inlet, Bishop set her down gently to the side.  They were sheltered from the rain as a large stone jutted out over them and gave plenty of shelter from the wind as well as it howled against the rock.

He busied himself with cutting pieces of cloth from his shirt, taking even his collar until he felt they were long enough and thick enough to help stop the bleeding.  He didn't ask as he took her wrists and began to bound them and soon her boots were gone too with some difficulty, and eventually bound them with care as if she were made of delicate crystal.

"There we go, that's better isn't it?" he said, trying to smile.  He lifted a hand to her cheek, caressing it softly.  "Everything will be all right."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

She wasn't sure what to make of any of this. She had been sent to kill this man, and now she found herself stagnent, deaf to her cause and numbed by her confusion. Did she really have a daughter? Yes, she knew in her heart she had. But why could she not remember? It all came in pieces, like a  puzzle, and glimpses of a dream. Was this why her master mentioned to kill this man? Was this Bishop's power? Is this why he was so dangerous?
But if it were so, why was he treating her so tenderly? He claimed they had a child-
had the two been married? Or lovers?

Lora...

She closed her eyes, trying to think back, but only frowned.

"You shouldn't be helping me."s he stated before opening her eyes. "You know I was sent here to kill you. Would it not be wise to just let me bleed?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

Bishop paused and gave it consideration.  His soft expression did not change and nor did he retreat his hand from her face.  Despite all they'd been through and despite what she was intent on doing sometime in the future - possibly much sooner - he knew he couldn't leave her.  She was still his wife, still his love.  And if he could help her, he would...that was until she gave chase once more.

"That might be your mission," he answered at last.  "But that's not mine.  I could very well let you die, but...I wouldn't have the strength to go on knowing I left you like that.  Helpless.  Like a bird with broken wings.  I'll care for you like I promised I would."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

She raised her brows at him, confused, but also curious.
"Promised?" she asked.

A vow. The heart against her throat glowed again, more gently this time, faint.
A promise. A vow. Wedding bells. A church. A white dress. Flowers, the smell of flowers so freshly cut and littering throughout her hair and dress...
She remembered running, not able to contain herself, wanting to keep it a secret.

Was the promise a secret? Or was it all a lie?

She was smiling, she could feel that smile within her heart. Her dress was white. Pure white. Ironic for a whore, a courtesan. And There was a man on the other side of hte door. He as the reason she was smiling. And that man, she knew, was Bishop.

Lion

He smiled when she posed the question, and it was almost saddened at the prospect she couldn't even remember the vows they'd made to each other, the promise to love and care for the other despite whatever might come their way.  He knew then that something happened to her, made her different, but what it was...he had a feeling knowing might only hurt more than it would help.

"Yes," Bishop said.  He took his hand down to hers and carefully turned it over so that he could inspect her palm and lightly traced his index finger along the lines therein.  He smiled as he did so, his fingers rough and callused from having worked with wood most of his entire life.  "When we first started courting, we were quite young and foolish as most are and when we realized we loved each other we promised to always be there when the other was in distress.  This was before we married, just a few months.  Those vows stand too, but I remember that one in particular.  You wore a beautiful gossamer nightgown and I stole you away from your friend's apartment, or at least that's what you told me I think.  And we ran into the woods, a little patch nearby out to watch the moon reflect against the pond there.  We kissed for the first time then, it seemed right.  And it was the first time I felt my whole body light up with electricity and I knew then that I loved you.  You didn't come back until the early morning gloom rose and your hair was all mussed and disheveled, and grass clung to your legs."

Bishop laughed and smiled at her at the memory, hoping his words might spark more.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Something stirred, as if she wanted to see those memories, but as she tried to stretch out, to reach for them in the deeper recesses of her mind, she found nothing. Just grey. White and grey and un-focusable images. It made her angered, which gave her enough strength to sit up and rear back from him, eyes hot and wild.

"This is why my master said you are dangerous," Scarlet bird growled. "You are toying with me. These images.. those memories you try to play..." but she had no real strength in the moment to lash back, or if she did, she kept herself poised and held it in reserve, baring her teeth at him like some wild animal.
"It's not fair!" she barked after a moment, her lips trembling as she recalled her child, it's death, and the phantom of the man she had once loved. Was it him? Had he betrayed her? Was it his fault? Why could't she remember?

"Just stay away from me!" she growled again, rising to her feet and backing away, but she only made it too steps as she stared at him, eyes still wild when a faint flash of lighting capped their bodies in just a single moment. Then she turned away, breaking out into a fierce run.

Lion

He reeled back toward the cave wall, back scrunched toward the inlet when she abruptly climbed to her feet.  Bishop clutched the throwing knife in hand, holding the bloody weapon tightly lest she jump on him, in case she came to finish what she so intently set out to do.  She stared at him like a wild, cornered animal and his eyes only returned the gaze.  Desperate people did dangerous things and he was proof enough of that.

But before he could say anything to her, she bolted off into the woods, leaving him stunned if only for a moment.  Yet it was a moment long enough to unleash a howling cry, filled with anguish and sorrow as he stumbled to his feet.  He was cold and filthy and shivering and the rain pelted down harder then ever as he ran after her.  He tucked the throwing knife into his belt, the blood staining his hand still.

"Helena!  No!  Stop!  Wait!" he bellowed as he gave chase.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

In her condition, adrenaline could only take her so far before the pain from her limbs caught up to her. Crying out, she fell into a heap, scraping her knees and hands. The sting hurt, but so did everything else as she found herself in miserable tears. What had happened to her that she had become this way? Was this man really that dangerous? And what about her child. Their child, or so he said. And here she couldn't remember a thing. She knew the man would be behind her and she bristled, turned away from him, shame faced and pained.

"No, please leave me alone." she said, curling up against a tree, laying within it's gnarled roots and muddy grass. She didn't want anymore of this confusion. She needed to go home. Or, anywhere but here. SHe had a client to entertain in the morning, and now look at her. SHe was a mess. How was she to entertain that lord in her current state?  Without clients she would have no income, and word would get around. So she tried to wipe her tears away, tried to stand but realized the wounds in her wrists, then ankle and simply stared at them, feeling too defeated for tears.

Lion

She hadn't gone very far in her condition and when she crumpled to a heap Bishop was just about on her.  He paused before her shaking form.  Her ankles were gruesome and the strips of cloths he'd used to help cover here wounds were soaked through.  He slumped to his knees before her and grabbed her by the shoulders even as she pleaded for him to go away.  Instead he held her against him, one arm around her waist and the other around her shoulders.

"Helena," he pleaded.  "Please, let me help you.  Don't run from me.  I've lost everything already.  I don't want to lose you too.  Please, believe me.  I'd never hurt you.  I'd never trick you or use you or lie to you.  You've got to trust me..."  He didn't hesitate then as he pulled her tighter to him and scratched his stubble to her face as he kissed her rather hard, arms holding her possessively.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Helena...
The words breathed around her, washing over her like a powerful, engulfing wave of the ocean..
Helena...
Like a breath, a scent, his smell, the feel of his skin, his stubble...
Helena...
Just a name, one that sounded natural, as it stung, faint memories ribboning through the wave in fragmented shards
Helena...

Instincts had her knowing he was right, but it also tore at her sense of honor, sense of duty. Grabbing on the blade, she held it out between them, her eyes still wet, shining brightly in the moon light as her arm shook as she held it fiercely, defensively and took a few crawled steps back and away.
"N-no.." she said, slowly shaking her head, keeping the blade pointed at him. "You don't understand. You shouldn't be here. I shouldn't be here." A tear slid down her cheek. "This isn't right. I have to go. I have to leave."

Before this makes sense.
Before I know you.
Before you get hurt.
Before I hurt you.

Lion

His eyes gleamed at the blade that was suddenly between them and he then exchanged glances with her all the while his heart raced from both the kiss and the sudden danger it put him in.  He backed away just as she did, as she warned him to go away and that desperate look in her eyes, he knew then that he had no choice, that or face her wrath.  As much as he wanted to hold her then, to steal her away, the evening would not give them the chance to reconcile.

If there was any reconciliation to be had.  He only hardened his jaw and nodded to her.  And without another word he ran off toward the north, vanishing in the night and leaving no more than muddy tracks in his wake.  Enough time had been wasted there and he needed to go back to the beginning, find where to go next.  There must have been something he missed.

And whatever it was, he would find it.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

She clutched onto the knife until Bishop was well out of sight, only dropping it nearly twenty minutes after he had gone. The sound echoed within the darkness as she found herself crying again. But she had to recollect herself. She had to figure this out. but where could she go? She was injured. The lord she was to meet with early in the morning wouldn't be able to be seen with her like this. What was she to do? She'd have to just get over it, get through it, or disappear.....

But where would she run to? Her master...
perhaps he had answers but..
she hesitated, finding her gloves and boots and clutched them to herself.
Could he really help?

Perhaps if she just went away a while, let her head clear her thoughts become recollected...
Bishop....
What was to be done about him?
And what of this woman named Helena?
Was she really her? And what about her?
She kept thinking it over until her head hurt, and found her own self moving off in the opposing direction of Bishop as she pressed through the woods, limping and wincing, but swallowing down her pained whimpers every step of the way.

Lion

When he was far enough away, Bishop hid as he was wont to do, too tired to move on, too tired to sleep even.  His mind was reeling as this was the longest encounter he'd had with the woman he'd once known as his wife, the one who now hunted him and sought to take him to her master, possibly in pieces if he hadn't made his escape.

But he waited quite a while where he was, lost in contemplation, until he knew that he couldn't continue on his path, having been there before.  He wanted answeres - no needed them.  And he knew one of the only ways to do it, would be to follow her, to see where she would lead him.  So he went back to where he'd last seen her and followed the footprints in the mud until he at last saw her in the distance.  He stayed back however, his entire body covered in mud, blending in with the background as he watched her from afar. Waiting to see where she would run next.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

She would be late. She would have to settle for being late. She needed help, she looked a mess, and she only knew one person that might have answers. Her master. She tried to be discrete, but after a time, pain and exhaustion got the better of her, and her trail became more and more obvious. She had made it to the other side of town, the slums, pausing infront of an old, run down manor. From the outside, it looked haunted, vacant, but on the inside... as Scarlet Bird pushed open the front door...
soft music came from within, and light flooded the street until the door 'clicked' close, leaving the streets quiet once more.

OOC: Omg... I can not remember if we discussed a name for her master ;_;

Lion

[He had no name.]

Bishop had a harder time trying to track and hunt a deer than he did trying to track his wife.  She was clumsy in her exhaustion, that he could plainly see and his life on the run had given him useful training in running and hiding.  He was quiet and little more than a shadow.  When they came to the town however, he hesitated for a moment, knowing towns were filled with people.  People who'd seen his wanted posters, people who might try to identify him.

But it was a risk he had to take.  What was more, he couldn't afford to risk losing Helena's trail again.  For when the moment was right, she was even better at vanishing with the wind.

So Bishop clung to the alleyways, remaining calm and indistinctive, looking like nothing more than a dirty vagrant to anyone still awake this time of night as he followed Scarlet Bird to the run down manor.  What was this?  And more importantly who would she know who lived there?  He did not follow her through the door and observed the rafters on the side of the building, broken shingles, and dirty windows.  One entry point looked promising up high.  He moved over to a turnstile window on the second floor, slightly opened and led to a darkened room with the curtains gently fluttering in the breeze.  The rain got into it just a little but the fact that it was open was enough for him.

Bishop climbed from the alley side and up the boxes and crates that lingered nearby until he reached the second floor window, but just barely.  He clung to the edge before slipping inside, leaving the window slightly more ajar than it was before.  He held his breath in the room, but it seemed it was nothing more than an empty office with parchments and charcoal and scrolls lying about.  He moved to the open door, seeing light bleed through, dim and flickering.  He waited behind the door and listened for anything.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Soft voices floated up from the first floor. The softer voice, obviously Helena's, the deeper one, obviously a males. The conversation was picking up, louder even, but still, the words not entirely distinguishable from where Bishop was perched, but at the end, it was evident the man was angry.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN A DAUGHTER!?" came the voice, roaring with enough force to shake the walls, then came the sounds of a woman, a faint gasp of pain before something hit the wall, and dropped heavily to the floor. And the voices grew still, though the creaking of foot steps followed the quiet and soon Helena's trembling carried up the steps, and then, as the foot steps paused, a moment later, Helena was gasping again, whimpering out in pain.

Lion

A hand quickly shot over Bishop's mouth to conceal his gasp of breath at hearing Helena suddenly slammed against the wall.  He was afraid to move, afraid to look out from the door, afraid at what he might see.  Bishop just listened, strained his ears as he moved his eye to look at the crack between the door and the frame, unable to see much more than light coming up from below the stairs.  He kept his mouth covered still.

When the steps began to come up the stairs, he immediately ducked against the wall, holding his breath as it paused by the door.  He hear her whimpering yet he fought the urge to burst through the door and lunge at whatever man was holding her.  He had to wait, to bide his time if he was going to find out anything more.

Even if his heart wanted to beat clear out of his chest.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

"But it's true!" Came her voice, shrill and hysterical. "That man you sent me to kill. He said she was dead- he said!"

Whack!
A hard hand came striking across her face again, Helena making only one noise at the suddenly impact, then grew silent. She was trembling, silent tears streaming down her face as blood seeped from her nose, where it came over her lips and traveled to her chin, collecting there with some of the warmed tears.

"You are a fool to believe him, my Scarlet Bird," the man growled. The sound of flesh and leather scraping against wood were evident as he dragged her across the floor, a hand held to her hair, made like a rope from her braid. Her hands shot up, gripping onto it, gasping out at the pain as some of it was torn as she was dragged along. "I told you he was dangerous." He flung a door open, in the room at the end of the hall, a few doors down from where Bishop remained hidden. And the rest of what he spoke was muffled, displaced as he continued to drag her away, slamming the door behind him.