Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Grand Illusion [Spice] - [M]

Started by Ivory, September 03, 2013, 05:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

It felt a bit odd to Kathryn to be in front of so many eyes without the veil that had protected her for so long.  There would be no more of that now, she realized; she could not claim the modesty of a lady and hide behind a veil after such a day...  Too many would know her, and this city doubtless had thousands more eyes to see and tongues to wag than Highheart.  She wished, now, she had taken one last ride through the forest and visited her little shack (which, remarkably, had survived through the stormy autumn and winter months) to say goodbye to that life...

Calent's hand took hers, bringing her back from her reverie.  He was no longer her husband-to-be, and, after tonight, she would no longer be a child...and such dreams, though nice, were for children.  It was time, finally, to grow up and to submit herself to reality...and it was such a reality that women throughout Connlaoth dreamed of living her life, while she had always longed to be them.

For Calent, though, she offered him a shy smile.  "I confess that I am overwhelmed," she answered honestly.  "But happy.  Everything has been so perfect..."

visualspice

At her soft words, he found himself smiling and squeezing her hand.
"Yes, it is something." He spoke, then lifted his gaze back towards the crowd, keeping his chin up proudly. He had his woman at his side, the entire country at his back; and all the eyes of the city upon them.
Overwhelmed was an understatement.

~*~*~~*~*

Though the familiar from the crowd cocked their head. His lips twitched, studying the carriage as it rolled past. His fingers itched, as did his feet well within his boots- but Dekka Blade remained cemented in place... wherever that may be...
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Kathryn's smile grew in response to his words, and, although they had been sitting a respectable distance apart, she scooted a bit closer to him for the rest of the journey.

There seemed to be no end to the festivities surrounding the wedding and coronation ceremonies.  The parade, which served as Kathryn's formal presentation to the common masses, led to the steps of the palace, where a banquet had been laid out.  This would be her presentation to the nobles and other important people in Connlaoth.

Kathryn bore the attention with a gracious smile and, outwardly, limitless patience.  She watched her husband, curious; he seemed proud, although, perhaps, not enjoying himself (not that she blamed him; this attention was a little much!)  Every opportunity they had to exchange a few words alone, it seemed, they were interrupted by a servant or a congratulatory noble or a guard.  The Mordecai, in particular, seemed fond of hovering...  Knowing the fate that had befallen the previous Grand Duke, it was little wonder...but she was beginning to wonder if the Mordecai were going to join them in their chambers, too.

Finding a moment to speak, at last, she murmured, "Is there always so much attention about your person as Grand Duke?"  It was far, far different from the glimpse she had had of him in Allar...

visualspice

Calent lowered his head.
"These are trying times. Extra precautions must be made."
And just as it had been before, another nobleman had approached, this time Vesirk, Calent's visor. He came to them with open arms, the numerous rings on his sweaty, fat fingers, glistening off the chandeliers.

"Ah, the happy couple. I trust the pair of you are well?"

Calent looked at Vesrik and nodded in silence, crawling beneath the attentions, but keeping as peaceful as he could. He hadn't slept in four days, and if one were to look closely, it was evident in his eyes,a nd his powder make up could only hide so much.

"The day couldn't be more perfect. Excuse us." And he took Kathryn by the arm and lead her into a more private room off to one side. It was the music room, and no one had bothered to come in there - but he knew this privacy couldn't go on for long.

Staring down at the piano, he remained silent, his eyes looking through the piano, as if into eternity- his mind in a whole other world.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Kathryn breathed a little freely, now that they were away from the press of the crowd outside.  Her smile, however, faded quickly upon seeing Calent's expression, and she watched him a moment before making her way to his side.

Her skirts pillowed around her as she knelt before the seated man.  Taking one of his hands into both of hers, she looked up at him with an earnest, honest expression.

"If you are troubled, my Lord, perhaps a friendly ear might help to unburden you."

visualspice

Calent's eyes refocused, but still, he stared at the piano, just not longer throughi t. Then they grew distant again before he turned to her as his thoughts got carried away...
"I'm just tired," he stated simply. "And I'd rather not talk to Vesrik."

OOC: Lol. He totally did not get what she was suggesting XD

Ivory

Kathryn truly did not mind this.  She would rather be here, with Calent, then out there with all of those sycophants...

"Are you not sleeping well, my Lord?" she inquired politely next. her voice carrying a note of alarm and concern.  She was searching, hopefully, for a way that she might be able to help her husband.  It was a wife's duty to do so...and, she thought, perhaps it might help her come to know him better.

visualspice

At her inquiry, Calent gave another tired sigh.
"I haven't slept in days." She'd come to realize this once she was settled into the castle. He rarely slept,a nd when he did, his dreams made him worse for wear. And his looks turned soured before he remembered the young thing beside him as he stole a glance down at her, his expression softening. He lifted her gloved hand to his lips and kissed it softly.

"Becoming a Grand Duke adds much to one's plate."

Ivory

Kathryn nodded slightly, a soft gestured accompanied by a look of sympathy.  Yes, she supposed it did.  He could not be faulted for that...  Some might have even considered it the mark of a good ruler.

She looked up at him in wistful silence as he pressed her fingers against his lips, studying his expression and noting the way the skin hung beneath his eyes.

"I know I am only a woman, and so I cannot share in your burdens, my Lord."  Or, really, many of them at all.  She could help him manage the public, but there was so much else...  "But if there is anything at all I might do to help relieve you of your stress, you have but to ask."

visualspice

The two were so cozy together, sharing a rare, intimate moment; and from Dekka's vantage point in his lounge, it appeared as if the two might kiss. It would be the perfect moment for it- though that was far from the Grand Duke's mind as he stared back at his wife. But the King of Thieves presumed other wise as he cleared his throat.

"Don't mind me, I suppose I should take my leave to give the pair of you some space."
And as he rose up from the shadows, a most familiar face was presented before Grand Duchess Kathryn as the green eyed thief gave the pair of them a suave smile as he looked them over.

"Oh, and by the way, congratulations." And he tipped his nearly empty champagne glass at the pair of them before knocking it back and taking his leave.

Ivory

Kathryn started, partly in reaction to how sudden the interruption was and partly in reaction to who was doing the interrupting!  She stared at him, quite out of sorts a moment and looked, almost  frantically, to her husband to await his recognition of the King of Thieves and to summon the guard...

Was Dekka insane??

Or was he just making a point?

Her cheeks flushed a bright pink, and she suddenly found an interesting bit of the carpet to peer at rather than look again into her husband's face.

visualspice

Perhaps it was how well groomed he was, or that his clothing had been cleverly stolen from another nobleman's wardrobe and doctor up to suit his own tastes, but as Calent glared back at the man leaving them- he seemed none the wiser that he was in the presence of the King. Though Dekka had a familiarity about him, Calent could only assume he was perhaps some Serenian or Adelan noble coming to pay respects- for Connlaothians were not so brash.

Though once the man was gone, Calent stared back down at the piano; and soon, other nobles began to find the couple inside the music room and the pair found themselves caught up yet again in some more heedless conversation.

Ivory

Highheart had never been a popular destination for visiting nobles.  Kathryn's father was, after all, a bit eccentric, and although it boasted a growing treasury and two lovely daughters, it was simply not very popular.

All of this was, therefore, more overwhelming than Kathryn liked to admit.  At last, she managed to dismiss herself onto the veranda for a bit of air.  It was a believable tale; the room was stuffy and crowded, and it was filled with the scents of dozens of perfumes, of dinner, and, simply, of all of Connlaoth.

A guard accompanied her to the veranda door, but Kathryn asked the woman to stay on the other side.  She looked suspicious, but she obeyed; after all, Kathryn was less than ten feet away, and well within the protective radius of her anti-magic field...and she could still watch through the door.

Outside, Kathryn took a deep breath and turned her eyes skyward.  It was a beautiful night indeed, as if Angsar Himself had blessed them with fine weather for such a ceremony...  But it wasn't God who was on Kathryn's mind -- it was the King of Thieves and his bold exit earlier...and how she would have longed to move so invisibly away from here...

visualspice

"I see the dogs don't keep you far from their leash.." came a voice, soft, and only loud enough for her to hear- though if she were to look around, she wouldn't be able to spot the man whom the voice belonged to- an all too familiar and suave voice. And the 'king' could have easily been mistaken for a 'real blood' of the rich...

Ivory

"No," Kathryn agreed sadly, her own voice pitched soft to keep it from carrying back to the guard at the door.  "I'm afraid it won't be as easy for me to sneak away anymore..."  It was long past time she grew up...but that didn't make accepting this stifling life any easier.

Resting her elbows on the railing and her chin in her hands, she stared outwards over the sloping lawn.  "I didn't expect you to be here."  She had hoped he would be...but, somehow, she hadn't expected him to actually be here.  "Who are you tonight?"  A smile touched her otherwise melancholy face, and she added, "And how much have you stolen?"

visualspice

The air was silent,but even then, his smile was evident.
"I've pinched a jewel here, a ring there, even a few brooches. Your own wedding gown isnt without fault..." And from he stood, he twirled an ivory, diamond encrusted flower from her dress, between two pinched fingers. All ornaments so subtle... No one would ever miss them.
"Hope you're not mad... Your entire ensemble is a walking prize...."

Ivory

Kathryn's grin nearly matched his as she breathed a soft laugh.  "Wouldn't that be a fantastic story?  The night the King of Thieves stole the Grand Duchess's wedding gown..."  Oh, people would be furious, wouldn't they?  For half a moment, she even pretended she would let him try!

"I think," she added, grin almost doubling, "I would like to see you pull it off.  You could shave your beard again and pretend to be a lady-in-waiting...and then wear it right out the front door."  She had to lift a hand to her mouth to stifle a giggle.  "The skirts would compliment your legs, I think, far better than mine."

visualspice

"A lady in waiting?" There was a coy-roughness in his voice as he shook his head. "What about your husband in waiting?" he said, again, that smile evident in his voice. "Or have you forgotten the masked ball already?"

Ivory

"If you were my husband in waiting, I would ask you to take more than just my dress," she answered smugly.  Perhaps it was cruel to tease him -- a bit -- but he had brought it up, hadn't he?  She probably shouldn't be encouraging him...but there was a lot of stupid things she had done in her time, and many of them had been with Dekka Blade.  It was becoming a tradition!

"Now that I'm a married woman, do you still intend to spend all your free time breaking into my room or rescuing me from lightning strikes, Dekka?"  It was a somewhat serious question...  Somewhat.

visualspice

His laughter came as softly and cool as a breeze.
"What does marriage have to do with anything? It just adds to the challenge," his voice growled. And it was about this time the guards seemed to notice something.. just a bit out of the ordinary above them over the balcony and when they stepped forward to check it out...
nothing was there.

Blinking, the guard turned to the Grand Duchess and inquired, "Is all still well, my lady?"