Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Justice Wears a Clever Disguise! (Spice!)

Started by Ivory, September 09, 2013, 06:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

Audric was, maybe, a little late on the rescue...  But he had run into trouble of his own on the other side of the building.  It was difficult, he was discovering, to mount a rescue mission without killing anyone -- because these were guards.  They were supposed to be the good guys!

One of the guards was unconscious, now, and the other had suffered a much more fatal wound...but only because Audric couldn't get by him, otherwise.  He came running around the corner at a run, surprising the guards who happened to be looking in his direction -- but giving them no time to react as his sword fell down on their sergeant's shoulder.

"Tsk, tsk," the swordsman scolded.  "If you don't want to lose that hand, I think you had better let him go."

"Who the hell are you?" the sergeant swore, freezing immediately at the threat.

"You want the long version or the short version?"

The sergeant ground his teeth together so hard it was nearly audible.  "Jones.  Smith.  Kill him."

A pair of men swung suddenly out from the mob pressing Cai against the wall, but Audric was quicker.  He pulled the sergeant's blade from its sheath and brought both his own sword and the borrowed one upwards to block the pair of swords.  Over the clang of metal on metal, he sighed audibly.  "And I was hoping we could do this as friends..."

The sergeant gestured to another soldier.  "Percy, keep that dagger on his back.  He has to be brought in alive.  They didn't say anything about damaged..."

Audric's eyes narrowed at that.  Well, that was enough, wasn't it?  What had, primarily, been a defensive strategy at once became an offensive one.  He shifted his stance and stepped forward between the pair of soldiers attack him, and, with a gesture, stabbed both men in the gut.  He left the sergeant's blade in Jones, but pulled his own blade free of Smith.  Both men toppled over with pained grunts.

That was four down.  Only another half-dozen to go!

Two more men peeled away from Cai to engage Audric.  He met the blade of the first and lifted his knee high to catch the man in the groin -- a low-blow, he'd admit, but it was better than having to kill another soldier.  He turned, then, in time to disarm the second attacker with a blow to the man's hand that would, no doubt, leave him unable to hold a sword for some time.

Six down.

From one of the soldiers he had just taken down, Audric scooped up a pole arm, and, then, Cai's mask from the ground where it had fallen as he continued to move forward at a leisurely pace.  "Is this the best Uthlyn has to offer?  I'm surprised you were able to catch the Masked Mordecai at all."

"Come any closer, and we'll kill him," the sergeant threatened, glowering hard at Audric -- but Audric could see the way his eyes flickered away to the side...

...And this was why he had grabbed the polearm.  He jammed his weapon into its sheath in order to spin the weapon expertly around in his hands, tipping it upwards as the shadow of the finely woven net fell over his head.  The long pole caught the force of the entangling net, and Audric used it to flip the net in the other direction...then swung the pole so that the blunt end of it crashed into the sergeant's nose.

Blood gushed down the man's face as he slipped to his knees with a pained yowl.  But Audric wasn't done yet.  He twirled back around and buried the spearhead into the net-thrower's throat.  Audric's eyes slid over the boy who was still holding his groin protectively, now looking terrified out of his mind.  And, Audric thought, rightfully so.

"The way I see it, the rest of you have two options.  You can run, or you can die."

The trio still holding onto Cai exchanged a look.  They looked down to their sergeant, who was cursing and threatening them in order to get them to stay, and they unanimously decided, it seemed, that discretion was the better part of valor.  Cai was suddenly released, except for the sergeant, who had taken to clutching his leg as he bellowed for his men to come back.

Audric paid the sergeant little mind.  "You okay, Cai?"  He fished the mask out of his belt and held it out towards him, averting his eyes away from the man's face.  Sure, he wanted to know who the Masked Mordecai was -- who didn't? -- but finding out this way felt...wrong.  And so, beneath the hood of his cloak, he did the honorable thing...and looked the other way.

(OOC: I...may have made Audric unrealistically kick-ass...)

visualspice

OOC: It seemed realistic to me
8D

---------

The event unfolded like something short of a dream, and even the de-masked masked man found himself gaping with blood rushing down his face. Remarkably, the shadows hid the point of his nose well, and the high points of his cheeks- and his hair? - which looked like a squid ripely burned, then soaked in waters (and in that order), hung about his face in a wild array, like poised curls of serpents. And it wasn't until the last men fell was Leif able to move or react, as he gave a sniff, then wiped the blood from his nose off on the back of his hand and stared up into the shrouded darkness beneath the masked man's hood. Though he saw no clue's to his face, he found his own self looking away so as not to identify the man who was trying not to identify himself.

Without a word, he took his mask in hand and stared at it for a good long while, part of him wondering what the point of it all was before he bowed his head low, and slipped the mask back over his face. And once it was secured, he slicked his hair back the best he could (thank goodness he used a ton of oil) and raised his eyes to Audric.

"If you came here for a rescue," Leif began, as he used the wall to right himself. "You came a few minutes too late." And he looked down from Audric to the bodies on the floor. "Suppose I couldn't do better myself." he said, giving another sniff and wiping of his bleeding nose. Then, curiously, he looked up at Audric and to the shadow under his hood.

"You may want to consider a mask too... it.. would be increasingly more easy for men to yank your hood off than a mask." And without another word, the masked man took a step out into the street to walk away.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

"I know," Audric answered, looking down at the death surrounding them.  "But I didn't expect them to actually succeed in capturing you.  The guards around here..."  Well, they both knew the guards were utter idiots, and now, looking at them, it was clear why.  "They're just kids."

He glanced up then, realizing Leif was stalking away.  He followed in his wake with a slight frown.  "Yeah," he agreed, reaching up to pull on the hood self-consciously.  "But I wasn't expecting this to become a thing."

Although, it was apparent to them both, now, that it had...

"I'm guessing the new equipment was also the Duchess's idea."  That explained why everyone was suddenly so confident that the Masked Mordecai was going to be captured...  Not only were they discrediting him, but they were also changing their method...

visualspice

Leif sneered and scoffed at his words.

"No doubt the seed of a snake," he said, pausing to spit out blood on the ground. He frowned and ran his tongue along his teeth,a nd spat again to clear his mouth of blood, and then moved his gloved hand ot wipe more blood from his nose. How annoying,i t was still bleeding.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Audric frowned at that, a rather ingrained reaction to an insult against his friend's wife...and their Grand Duchess, at that.  But he didn't approve of any of this, and so he couldn't say he blamed Cai...especially not after the way he had been mistreated.

"Hey," he said, giving the other man a single tap on his shoulder to draw his attention as Audric peeled off towards a barrel.  He glanced around suspiciously, but there was no one around -- and plenty of escape routes if someone did appear...  "Come over here."  The barrel itself was set in a corner, hidden, very nearly, by the shadows of the building it stood against.

He fished his handkerchief -- a plain, white soldier's handkerchief, made more to be functional than to be pretty or impressive -- to dip into the cool water in the barrel, then extended it expectantly towards Cai.  "Here.  I'm not having you choke on your own blood after I went to all that trouble to save you."

visualspice

Growing more and more irritated by the moment (especially since he was still on edge after almost being caught), Leif sighed irritably before finally moving to follow after him, and was... surprised when the man offered him something to clean his face with. He thought for sure the barrel held some other sort of secret.

He gave a snarled laugh and shake of his head.
"I'll hardly die from a bloody nose.." he said, but took the kerchief anyways and dabbed at his nose, then lifted his gaze to Audric's hooded cloak.
"Back there, after you took care of those men... you called me something... Cai." And he paused to push a little harder on the wet clothe about his nose before pressing,"Why?"
Did this RANDOM HOODMAN think he knew his identity? For if that was the case, he'd be sorely mistaken...

Ivory

Audric's grin was immediate beneath his hood, and he laughed outright at the other man's open suspicion.  Cai had a lot to learn about Audric...although, for the life of him, Audric couldn't understand why.  He thought it was entirely too obvious!

"Masked Mordecai is too long, so I've been calling you Cai.  Plus, it's got a little more personality than Masked Mordecai."  He drew the name out, giving it an over-the-top dramatic edge with his tone.

"If I get a moniker, you'll think of one for me!"  He had no doubt about that!  It was just too hard having the formal names...

His grin widened slightly.  "I almost went with Mord.  But I knew a Mort once, and he was kind of an ass."

visualspice

Leif scoffed through a smile and shook his head.
"You already have a moniker," he said. "Don't you listen to the word on the street, Shrouded Swordsman?"

Ivory

Audric blew out something between a sigh and a laugh.  "Yeah, but I was kind of hoping they'd change it.  It makes me sound like a damned corpse," he grumbled.

Turning it over in his mind for a moment, he finally shook his head.  "None of that shortens up very nicely, doesn't it?"  At least, it didn't shorten to anything remotely resembling a name!  "Well, I suppose you could call me Al."  That grin reappeared, as though it had never vanished.  "Short for Allar.  I don't think it's any secret to you that that's where I'm from."

And then he could always hold out hope his moniker would change to something more dashing!  And less dead-sounding...

visualspice

Leif rolled his eyes at Audric's suggestion.
"Then I might as well call you Allarrick, or Rat," he said bitterly. "I'm not so unworldly not to know where the Grand Duke was born and raised, though your home duchy does pose a lot of questions- starting with your sword.." And his eyes glanced down towards it, notably catching to the crest.

Ivory

"Now you're just trying to be mean," the swordsman answered good-naturedly, as though Leif were only teasing.  He knew, of course, that he wasn't -- and today, even more than a few months ago, he had cause to dislike Calent...

"Is it so unusual that a man from Allar would have a sword with the Allarrick crest on it?"  He folded his arms over his chest, looking at Leif curiously.  "What other questions do you have for me?  Why am I here in Uthlyn?  Business.  What am I doing helping you rather than trying to capture you?"  Yes, he was going to ask the questions and answer them; he was a one-man show!  "I told you already that I've seen you commit no crimes.  I would have preferred not to kill those soldiers, and I don't intend to break the law by helping mages like you are rumored to do.  But every time I've encountered you, you've always done what's right -- even if that means standing up or running away from a few guards.  And I think Connlaoth needs more men who do that."  He paused, then asked, "Honest enough for you?  Anything else you want to know?"

visualspice

Leif made a face as Audric went on to bring up questions and then... answer said questions that he himself only mildly seemed to care for.

"So are you some bored nobleman?"
The crest, naturally, could be a soldiers... and quite frankly, those moves were more of a soldiers as he turned away to shake his nose.
"Or more realistically, a man bored with army life?" For clearly, that's what it seemed. Shaking his head, he turned back to Audric as he gave him a once over.

"And if I had to come up with a name for you, it'd be something just as endearing as Cai."
Leif sighed irritably as he looked down the street.
"Seems the streets as clear as ever.." Though even still, he hesitated to leave.
"You still didn't answer one question." he said, peering back towards Audric. "You seem to think you know so much about me, and with that, you'd know I'd have a hefty bounty on my head. It begs the question why you'd want one on yours."
And he looked the man over before turning away, and walking down the street, kerchief still to his nose.

Ivory

Some bored nobleman?  Why, yes.  Technically.

"I give you that whole speech, and you think I'm helping you just because I'm bored?"  Silly Cai and his silly assumptions!  "Nobles and soldiers both have better things to do with their time than to run around in silly masks just for the sake of boredom."

Audric's gave his head a little bit of a shake, and he shrugged a little in response.  "I don't know a lot about you.  That's the point, isn't it?  But I'm giving you more credit than that.  Me?  I don't believe that nobles are the only ones who deserve help.  Or the only ones who should be helping, for that matter."

Yes, that was pointedly directed at Leif.  After all, it was his fault for owning up to that fact, wasn't it?

"And I knew you'd like that name!" he called after him, sounding remarkably cheerful.

A mask, huh?  He'd have to look into that.

visualspice

OOC: TOtally keeping my typo of 'shaking his nose' from my last post.
CAUSE

---------

Leif groaned and continued forward. This was the start of a beautiful friendship.
"Perhaps I'll call you Abigail.." he muttered. "After my late Aunt, who was blind, fiesty, and unrelenting. She also owned a lot of cats..."
And he stared away, idly brushing off some of the debris from the fight off his shoulder.

Ivory

It had been some time since the Swordsman had made his appearance outside of Allar -- but, in his home province, at least, he had become a household name.  Unlike the Masked Mordecai, with whom he was associated, the Swordsman focused on crime -- be it against innocent children or against mage-sympathizers.  In spite of his rumored skill with a blade (it was said the sword he used was enchanted, providing no end of irritation to Audric), he often went out of his way to do as little damage to his targets as possible.  Many were discovered unconscious and bound.  In this way, the Swordsman served as a source of irritation for the guards, although he rarely stood in direct opposition to them...  In Allar, at least.

The rest of the country was another matter.

And it just so happened Audric was visiting the capital when he heard a rumor that caught his attention.  Like so many rumors before it, it concerned mages and their deportation to the camps set up for their kind.  (Which was not something Audric agreed with, either.)  Normally, that sort of thing wouldn't concern the Swordsman; he never interfered with the deportations.  However, there was something unusual about this particular rumor...  Rather than be commanded by Mordecai, the soldiers assigned the task would be led by the clergy.

And that was just...odd...

And so the Swordsman had returned.  He was moving through the streets quietly, wondering where to go to begin his investigation, when a shadowy figure ahead caught his attention...  He grinned broadly.  It had been some time...and he was curious to see how Cai was getting along without him!

"Waiting for me, Cai?"

visualspice

Trying to be stealthy didn't seem to be 'Abigail's' forte, and the second the other man was close enough, he socked him hard on the arm.
He dind't even say anything, just glared at the other man and held a finger to his lips befre peering around the bend towards men working in the back of the church.
It was hard enough to hear what they were saying without the interruption, and as the men moved to the other side, Leif cursed beneath his breaht for having possibly missed some vital clues.

Ivory

Audric blinked, obviously a little confused.  He, too, peered around the corner of the building, and he strained his ears...but, alas, their quarry had moved on!

And so that left him no choice but to stand there and frown at Leif until the other man stole a glance in his direction.  'What are you doing?' Audric mouthed, though, knowing Cai as he did, he didn't expect much of a response.

visualspice

Leif sighed once he realized his chance to eeves drop had been for not, and slowly turned around to his 'side kick' (who, fo ra second, he wanted to really kick!)
"I heard a rumor and wanted to investigate.." and he stared off thoughtfully, before explaining. "They said something about the clergy handling the next batch of mages to be sent North. But something just doesn't.. smell right."

Then he looked over at Audric and noted his smile and asked him cautiously, "And.. just why are you smiling." Then he blinked and sighed, pinching at his nose as he rubbed it, "Don't tell me.. let me guess... you heard the same things." And then he drew in another breath and added, "And you too, wanted to see what information you could gather."

And he finally sighed again and turned away, shaking his head.
"Well, if we're to gather any information, we might as well get ourselves closer to the church. There's no good in hanging out in the dark alley way except wasting our time. Come on."

Ivory

"Aw, come on.  You could at least pretend you're happy to see me!" he chided good-naturedly, although in a quiet voice.  "I'm happy to see you.  Have you ever heard of anything like this before?"

Because, obviously, Cai would be the one to know!

"By the way," he added as they moved along the wall.  "How's that nickname coming along?  Just need to know what I'll be listening for when you're screaming for help..."

visualspice

Leif tried not to grumble or sigh irritably (at least not TOO loudly) as he pushed through the alley way, careful not to make any loud footsteps as they crept. And at his first question, he shook his head, "No.. that's why I thought it was odd." And then as he moved along, he paused a moment, hand resting against the alleyway wall before he smirked and whispered, "What's wrong with Abigail?"

And that is, of course,w hen someone heard them.
"Hey- who goes there!?"

"Shit."

PLacing an arm over Audric, he forced his swordman friend up against the wall beside him. With the two pressed beside one another against the dank darkness, a light flickered through the way, sweeping down quickly, but missing their boots by a hair.

"Probably just rats, Harold, now come on. We haven't got much time. The town thinks we're taking mages OUT, not dragging them in. They can't see what we've brought back this time or the town'll flip."

And as the two men shuffled away, Leif's eyes hardened. So that's what they were up to...
and without another word, he moved forward to follow.