Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Creme Caramel

Started by visualspice, November 10, 2013, 08:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: This is part of The Dessert Table and is a private thread...
For now!

-------------

Clever as a fox, he made good on his word, and reputation, to acquire a way in to such an event. With a mask over his face, two ears perched upon his head, and a fox tail swishing as he walked, the King of Thieves knew he was taking a great risk even coming here. He had long lost touch with the Grand Duchess, his little play thing... even the letters having long since ceased before this day.
But naturally, things had become... complicated, when his reputation suddenly piked and more wanted posters sprung up all over the city. But here, it was quite the occasion! For it gave him a chance to use his wings, flaunt his graces and well... finally see the woman who's letters he had once pine for and now have long since burned... finally.. speak to her, face to face.

Making his way down the hall, a glass in hand and wearing nothing too fancy at all, the simple 'fox' made his way through the guests, smiling at all the sweet faces where he could. And there was much to see and much to steal- but his focus was on but one girl-

Kathryn.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Calent and Kathryn's relationship sometimes felt like a house of cards, ready to crumble should the right corner be caught by the wind.  Calent sometimes had to be reminded of his wife's interest, while Kathryn sometimes had to be reminded that liquor, although seemingly effective, could not solve everything.  Each had his or her own duties to which to attend, as they always had, but now their hours of leisure were spent together...and Kathryn missed him dearly when they were apart.  They were healing and getting to know one another better than, perhaps, they had known one another to begin with.

And so it was a very different couple who presented themselves at the ball.  What had once been a frigid silence between them had bloomed, once again, into romance.  All the signs were there -- the furtive looks, the smiles, the innocent caresses...and, although it had never been public knowledge that the pair were experiencing difficulties in their marriage, new rumors would take the place of the old after tonight.

Kathryn was enjoying herself -- as much as one could at such things.  She smiled beautifully and laughed charmingly; she complimented earnestly and listened carefully.  This was her role, and it was where she thrived.

Even so, even she had to take a break from the small-talk for a bit.  She bowed her head slightly as she passed a guard, then stepped into the sanctuary of a small, private room a bit away from the bustle of the party.  The music from the dance floor made its way in, but precious little else.  Her eyes moved longingly over the bottle of liquor left here, but she had promised Calent that she would drink sparingly...and for appearances, only.  Instead, she helped herself to a glass of ice water and turned away from the liquor.  After all, things weren't so bad yet that she needed alcohol to cope...  Strange, though, how it had become her first instinct to pick up the bottle...

visualspice

Dekka Blade hadn't missed the detail that Kathryn was a doe- and had he thought more cleverly, he might have gone as a more savage sort of hunting dog. After all... their relationship was a bit of a gamble- like a game of cat and mouse, and here he was, fox tail and all, looking for a way into 'the chicken coop'.
He didn't miss the detail of catching her by herself entering a more private quarter alone, a perfect opportunity to make his move- Too bad there were guards everywhere and by the way it was noted- that room she entered was private and not for other guests. So instead, he made his round of the palace, taking it in with as much detail as he could before the darkness shrouded his form- and the kind of thieves had all but disappeared into the night outside on the veranda...

Though one shadow exchanged for another, and he found himself easily climbing into the room where she was. Patiently, he waited, however, contemplating how to approach. How long had it been? After all, the last time he had spoken to her were in letters. Things were too dangerous and after that- No letters at all.

He knew his bounty had gone up considerably, and the rumors.. well...
Smiling, he simply watched Kathryn from where he was hiding behind the curtains against the window, and simply let his breath carry unto her with the winds.

"Hello, Kathryn."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Kathryn froze.  Everything seemed to freeze.  For a moment, she didn't breathe, her heart didn't beat, and her eyes didn't blink.  It was only the soft clatter of her ice cubes shifting in her glass that brought her back.

There was only one person who appeared in locked rooms, only one person who said her name like that.  And only two months ago, if he had appeared out of nowhere like this, she would have called the guard.

But now?  Now, with her heart filled with love for her husband and hope, his voice stirred up a heaviness and fear...

"Dekka..."

visualspice

Her voice... it sounded, much different than usual. Either her husband was near or.. something else.
He found his lips twitching and he grew silent a time, but didn't reveal himself so quickly.
"There's a party going on, but your locked away in an empty room? It seems a crime, what, being such a powerful hostess and all..."

Ivory

Kathryn turned and placed her water glass back down onto the counter, a little harder than she intended.

"And you're still playing games."  Her eyes moved slowly over the room, studying its contours and searching for an outline of a man who didn't belong...

"If you want to talk to me, you'd better show yourself, or I'll go, and you can speak your mind to an empty room."

visualspice

Ah. That was easier said then done as he let himself smile a bit more before it faded.

"Games? Perhaps, but I like to think of it as precautions." And he paused to add. "It's been a while." And he contemplated if she meant what she said about leaving...

Ivory

Kathryn rolled her eyes and scooped up her glass again.

"Fine."  No, she really did not have the patience for his games.  She had once found them charming, but now...  "Then you can wait a while longer."

She moved purposefully towards the door, with every intention of leaving him there.

visualspice

Well.. shit. That wasn't going well. With a scowl, he stepped out from behind the curtains.
"You're mad I stopped writing." It wasn't a question, but more or less calling her out on the obvious. He just hoped his words, and his sudden appearance, might be enough to draw her away from the door.
"And that I stopped showing up."

Ivory

It did work indeed.

She stopped and turned to face him, looking him over, weighing her response.  Finally, she decided that honesty was the best policy, in this case.

"Are you really so surprised?"

If it were that and that alone, it wouldn't have been so bad.  But Dekka had stopped...just when the rest of her life came apart, and, unfairly, she blamed him for that.

visualspice

He stared at her, wearing his usual grin, but it was forced.
"No."
He looked her over, admiring her costume.
"A doe?" he raised his brows at her curiously.

Ivory

"To complement my husband's choice of attire," she answered, spreading her arms out to either side with a thin smile.  It was the only choice she might have made, considering the implications, unspoken or otherwise, a different choice might have had.

She sipped her drink delicately, giving him time to speak, if he so chose to take it.  But if he was thinking about it, then he was thinking too slow.

"So, you're back."

She was just short of asking him what he wanted.

visualspice

He let his eyes glaze over her form before his eyes flickered back to hers.
"That I am." And he tilted his head, moving around her and studying her costume like a wild animal that would stalk it's prey. His green eyes never left her form, but as he neared her front, his eyes flickered towards hers. "Aren't you curious where I've been?"
Naturally, he knew where she had.

Ivory

She was surprised, suddenly, to learn that she wasn't...  It seemed, somehow, that she should, but...

"To be honest, Dekka, it's been a long time since I've thought of you at all.  I never expected you to come back, and there was no use hanging on to something I couldn't have..."

A lover.

A baby.

A decent husband.

Oh, yes, she'd been through the ringer!

visualspice

"Yes.. times have become... difficult for a man to navigate the capital. Nearly.. impossible, so it would seem." He paused as his eyes moved across her form before he stepped in closer towards her so now that stood but a few inches away as a hand idly lifted a limp piece of fabric from her sleeve.

"How long has it been?" he said, feeling the coldness coming off of her, his hands ghosting along her side. "And although you've stopped thinking of me," he informed her, stepping even nearer to her as he whispered, "You're all I've ever thought about."

Ivory

"Two years."

She stepped right past him to go back to the little cart filled with drinks, moving by him as though he didn't even matter.

And with her back to him, she started a new glass...and, this time, it was filled with brandy.  She had scarcely had time for more than a glass of wine; what harm would one glass of brandy do?  Besides, she needed it now...  She needed something to calm her nerves before her hands started shaking and betrayed her.

Scarcely was the drink made than she had downed it in one unladlylike gulp.  Color rose to her cheeks, and she turned back towards him, feeling more sure of herself with the alcohol in her system.

"I gave up on you, Dekka.  A long time ago.  I'm not going to repeat all of the mistakes I made just so you can satisfy yourself one last time."

visualspice

Seeing her go to the alcohol, he found his smile faltering as it soured.
"One last time?" he said, stepping forward and placing a hand on her arm that held the drink. "Kathryn, do I fucking look like I'm here for one last time?"

Ivory

"You're still a wanted man, aren't you?  A thief?  A mage?"  She looked up at him with a slight frown, neither pulling away nor giving him any indication he was welcome any nearer.  "And I'm still married to the Grand Duke.  What, exactly, are you imagining this is?"

Maybe he'd lost his damned mind...

visualspice

Dekka gave her a dark grin as she reminded him what he was.
"So you've become his fucking slave, have you?" he looked her over with a sneer. "Another political puppet to keep at his side? Is that why you now are finding a fucking thief and fucking mage as a fucking criminal, despite our fucking relationship over the years? Kathryn, wake up, you've tempted a fucking spider and the web has been spun. I'm not some fucking night caller." And he paused to stifle back more hot breath as he chewed over his words. "I wouldn't have left if I had a fucking choice. ANd if I would have fucking known you were playing this up as some sort of fucking game, I would have dressed as something much worse." And the last part could have sounded like a threat.

Ivory

Kathryn slapped him.  The sound of her open hand against his cheek seemed to ring out in the room.  Apparently, he had found a nerve and stomped on it.

"Don't you dare assume you know me or Calent!  It's been two years.  Two years!  And it has been absolute hell!"