Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Where the Wild Things Are

Started by visualspice, November 30, 2014, 05:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

They didn't have to go far before the sounds of the mob began to fade. But that didn't stop the moth from running, and soon their panted breaths, the sounds of their foot falls on damp grass, and the chirping of night insects and birds were all he heard as the winds rustled the trees over head.
And he kept on running, even as his legs grew tired and his throat, sore from breath-
until he came to a sudden stop and bristled.

He could hear and smell water just ahead, and his face paled as his wings and shoulder slumped.

"A river..."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ahnnie

They ran and ran and ran, till Sacora lost track of how far or how long they'd been going. It was to her comfort that the sounds of the mob were put farther behind them the more they went. Eventually the mob could not be heard at all, and Sacora wanted to mention that to the moth fae, but his jarring speed prevented her from doing so.

He came to a sudden stop and a tense moment passed between them. The rushing sounds of a moving body of water could be heard. The moth fae remarked as much, with his pale face and slumped wings and shoulders, "A river..."

Sacora looked about them for some log or stone they could settle down on. "Let's get our rest first," she suggested, "then I'll see if there's a fallen tree or something similar down the river."

visualspice

Recalling his last encounter with a fallen log in a river, he grimaced. He did have some more experience with swimming since Alycia, the mermaid, had taught him, but that didn't mean he liked water anymore than he had before! In fact, it was another thing he loathed.

Shaking his head, he took a step back.
"No... we should look for another route. I'm not crossing that thing." And his voice was final.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ahnnie

Sacora blinked. "Oh, ok. I thought you wanted to cross it at first. That's fine too."

visualspice

Miersck growled at her assumption and stormed away.
"We keep moving. Find another way," he said, storming through the tall reeds and hoping desperately some other option might head their way. He could fly over it, but his wings were so sore that he was afraid that he might drop one of them, or even they both might end up in the river if his wings were to give out. They were strong enough to carry him, certainly, but straining them and trying to carry another in his condition...
Even he was not that foolish enough to try.

Ahnnie

"We keep moving," the moth fae growled. "Find another way."

Sacora watched as he stormed away a few paces ahead of her, searching for an alternate route, just anything but the river. She was a little too tired to wonder about it at this point and decided she didn't fancy a night dip in the water should the crossing fail either. She followed after him slowly, checking their surroundings to see if there was any other way to be found. The river seemed like it stretched on for quite a while, though. Not that there ever was a way around a river that ran straight like this, other than crossing a log or path of stones.

"Wait!" Sacora hissed out at the moth fae, and grabbed him by the arm suddenly. She knew he wouldn't like this gesture, but instinctive fear moved her to do so. "Do you...do you hear that?" Her face paled. What she thought she heard was a loud rustling some few paces to...their right? Left? Behind? It was unclear. But she heard it, and it sounded like something big.

visualspice

Feeling her grip his arm, he bristled and growled at her, yanking his arm away, but feeling only some minor relief to recall that was NOT his marked arm.
"Are you crazy?!" he snapped. "I told you not to-" But then he heard the rustling and the sounds of grunting and froze.

Ahnnie

Miersck froze as well when he finally heard the noise. Sacora was the same, wondering what it could be that was terrorizing them like this. She wished that it was just a false alarm, like those big shadows that turn out to be cast by little things. But the forest was blanketed with darkness, making everything shadowed, and there was no mistaking the size behind the creature that was making the noises.

There was no sound more vivid or crucial to their lives at the moment than this rustling and grunting that was coming ever closer. Sacora could then identify with rabbits and deer whenever they stood completely stock-still, paralyzed with fear; for she now felt the same way. A little while later a large bear head emerged from between a few bushes, gnawing at the branches, which led her to think that maybe that was a berry bush. It didn't seem to notice them...yet.

visualspice

Swearing through his teeth, Miersck found himself gripping onto Sacora's arms.
Of all the luck! He had to run into another damned bear out here! It reminded him of the incident with he and Alycia, and he took a hesitant step back.

"No sudden moves," he whispered, trying to- as slowly and quietly as possible, take another one back. "Let's just back away until he's out of sight."

Ahnnie

Sacora felt like holding her breath, transfixed as she was on the bear, when Miersck gripped onto her arms and turned the focus on him. "No sudden moves," he whispered to her, his voice tense and suspenseful. "Let's just back away until he's out of sight." Sacora nodded wordlessly, for there seemed to be no other way than that to get out of the bear's vicinity. She looked down at the moth fae's feet to see how he was moving and imitated his careful and slow step with one of her feet. She felt more chills run up and down her spine as her foot landed softly onto the ground, pressing down into the dirt. She was imagining that the bear could somehow hear even that. Her fears were ungrounded, though, when her foot was fully down and the bear was still occupied with its bush. However she still worried it could somehow hear the wild beating of her heart.

visualspice

The pair had gone a successful distance before well- the bear caught wind of them. The suspicious grunt in their direction was enough indication and soon Miersck swore.
"Rotten acorns," he said, turning quick on his heels. "RUN!"

Ahnnie

Sacora's heart almost leapt out of her mouth when the bear suddenly looked at them and grunted with more suspicion and force behind its throat. She was frozen in fear once again until the moth boy found yelled, "RUN!" and then she was quickly running after him. Perhaps that wasn't the best of ideas, because the bear might run after them, thinking them to be fast-moving prey. And Sacora thought she could hear the snaps and cracks and rushes of the great creature's paws moving through the forest underbrush after them. But she didn't dare look behind to confirm it; she just raced after Miersck, following wherever he happened to run. Then she stupidly remembered last minute that most animals were afraid of fire.

She stopped running and turned around, confirming with her eyes that the bear had been chasing after them. It was charging up to her quite fast, too. Without a second thought she shot a burst of fire from her palms, not to shoot at the bear, just to hold swirling in front of her palms, and the animal skidded on the ground before turning tail to run away. When it did, she released the fire, making it dissipate into nothing, and just stood there breathlessly. Her eyes were wide with fear and exhaustion from the exertions of the night. Things had been crazy, indeed.

visualspice

Miersck was in awe that Sacora's powers had worked, and for the life of him, couldn't get himself to stop approaching her, as if he might do something irrational- like embrace her, or worse. But once he caught himself, with the fire's drawing having dissipated, he blushed and turned away.

"Err... Forest Spirits... we're lucky that worked." And he gave a sheepish rub to the back of his neck.

Ahnnie

Sacora didn't even notice the moth fae's approach until he spoke up. "Err...Forest Spirits...we're lucky that worked." And then he rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. Sacora stared at him blankly for a few seconds, as if she didn't know who he was. Then her eyes brightened back into alertness and she nearly fell to her knees from the exhaustion.

"Yes...we were lucky indeed," she said, shivering from the memory. She had half-imagined, while she was manipulating the fire, that it would somehow not work and the bear would maul them both. But, it worked, and the bear was gone. It was then Sacora suddenly snapped her head back and looked around frantically. "You don't think the mob saw the fire, do you?"

visualspice

Miersck grit his teeth.
"I'm not waiting around to find out, Come on!" And he pushed through the tall grasses that followed the river before spotting a wooden rope bridge off in the distance.
"A bridge..." And even someone as unhappy as.Miersck acted had to smirk and he ran towards it, pausing as he noticed that some of the planks looked missing near the middle... And if the rope wasn't sturdy when they tried.to cross, the raging river would gobble them below. And even that, from.this location, was quite the drop.

Ahnnie

Sacora followed Miersck although her steps were not as fast as they had been at the start of this fiasco. She was beginning to grow tired. The fatigue was dawning on her and it amazed her that she was able to keep going for this long. How long had they been out in the forest? She wasn't sure. But she had an inkling that dawn might not be too far away.

Up ahead, the moth fae discovered a bridge. He smirked when he saw it, but then paused when he noticed it wasn't in the best shape for crossing. Planks were missing in the middle and the rope seemed weak. Just looking at it made Sacora dizzy. She shook her head and urged him to try another route. "It's too dangerous of a chance to risk," she said.

visualspice

"Yeah, but what other options do we have? If we cross it..." He bit his lip, not believing what he was about to say. "Then we'd have thrown that mob off our trail." ANd hopefully that of the bear!
However..
the challenge would still exist on actually getting him on the bridge, as at the current moment, his legs were locked up in fear.

Ahnnie

Miersck made a good point when he said crossing the bridge would get the mob off their trail.  It was really convenient, now that she thought of it, if only it didn't look so decrepit.  She spied her rest and comfort on the other side of that bridge (at least, as much as being in her nightgown with no shoes on can give her). Because then she wouldn't have to worry about the mob or some bear with the river in between them.

But she was too scared to. And so was the moth fae, for a good reason! There must've been something, though. Something they could do...She was about to suggest flying when she remembered how difficult it had been for him to keep her in flight for longer than a few minutes. So, no, flying was out of the question.

Nothing in her magic arsenal could help, either. I mean, come one. Fire magic? What was that going to help with? Burning down the bridge? Sure, maybe if they were already on the other side and the mob was trying to cross it. But not when they had to get over there. She squinted in the darkness, trying to see how man planks were missing at a time at the middle. Maybe they could jump it. But only if the rope (and the other planks) were strong enough to take that sort of force.

"You know any helpful spells to get us across that bridge, or anything?" Sacora asked. "Because I'm fresh out of ideas myself..." They could try and look for some way further downstream but it just wasn't guaranteed to yield any results. She wasn't sure if the moth fae was up for that either.

visualspice

Miersck closed his eyes and took in a breath, holding it as his chest remained arched with it as he closed his eyes. And after exhaling, really slowly exhaling, Miersck couldn't believe what he suggested they do.

"None of my magics will help with this. We'll have to just play our luck the spirits don't want us dead today."

And it took every ounce of his being fighting against the screaming protests inside his head as he was able to move one foot at a time, and found himself beginning to cross the rickety bridge.

'Just don't look down...' he thought, red eyes glued to the other side of the ravine.