Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Where the Wild Things Are

Started by visualspice, November 30, 2014, 05:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Blacker than night, thicker than water, deeper than the ocean he fell, slipping away from this world into the abyss. He had no control, the darkness ebbing, crawling, gripping into his mind. Through the pain and shouting, the world became very distant, and the fires that burned made him choke- and as he tried to call out, the blackness struck over his vision-
And time for him stopped.

But the world went on, he went on, and whatever chaos had happened... it seemed he had been taken away from anything and everyone he was becoming familiar with. And it wasn't until days later did he awaken, ruby red eyes going wide as he lay in a crumpled heap in the dark.  But this sort of dark was different, and as he looked around, hearing the night owls calls and the clattering of skeletal branches against the star spangled sky, he realized he was alone- so utterly alone, and it was then that the cold had sunk in, and he felt the dampness of the world around him cling to his body, like sweat.

As he sat up, he grew dizzy and clutched onto his head, and it was only then- against a slight sliver of moon light, that he noticed the wraps on his arms had tore away-
and every bit of his skin was revealed. And that skin- which had once been a rich brown, had turned darker than midnight black.

Gasping, he began to fell over his body- up his arm and down it- but there was almost no feeling at all, and in his other hand- the one not yet affected by the darkened curse that crept over him, he could feel his skin texture had also changed. It was leathery, tough- and as he went to move his arm, it hurt, as if the veins were being constricted, or strangled.

And it was only then, did he realize that other things that hadn't hurt before were beginning to suffer the same beginnings of that dull ache and pain that now consumed his blackened limb. And this time, he felt it on his throat. And when he lifted a shaking hand to touch it, he gasped out a trembling breath, feeling a few hot tears roll down his cheeks, as he began to realize how far the curse had spread.

Half of his neck now was covered in it.. and as he padded his skin down on his face...
Now along his chin, some of his cheek and around his eye...
It had gotten so far it was beginning to cover his face.

Blinking, the few tears that hung unshed rolled down his cheeks. And he shivered, curling up against a broken, decaying tree in the dense, nearly swamp like woods he now found himself. And for a moment, he didn't know what to do, as he remained there, and shivered in both cold and fear.

He didn't know how much time had passed, but the creaking of wagon wheels made him perk up. At first, it seemed like a dream-  but as he blinked and lifted his head, he realized the sun had just began to rise, and moving just down the hill from him was a wagon.

Attempting to rise, the movement was too much for him, and soon the world was spinning and he, stumbling into a tree, but the second he touched it, he felt a shock rush through him, and the tree- he could have swore- let out a groan. But by the time he had pulled his arm away, the man in the wagon had already dismounted, having been calling out to the Miersck for some time. It appeared as if the boy were in trouble, and if he were startled by the strange pair of wings on his back, the old man made no spectacle of it.  What he was concerned about was how the young winged man was screaming in pain-

Mierck had also fallen to his knees, gripping his arm, which now was locking up and unable to be moved. By the time the man got to him, he tried once again asking Miersck what was wrong; did he need help? But Miersck couldn't even lift his head, the pain- being so intense, it brought back tears, and he grit his teeth so hard, he thought they might break.

And he wasnt' sure how it happened, but the man was suddenly screaming, and the same rush, the same sensation as when he touched the tree struck through Miersck, and when a figure fell before him, it was only then did the dizzying world begin to slow for him, as another scream rang out. Miersck looked down at the body before him, that was convulsing. But that was the last thing he'd see before once again, his world went to black.

By the time the woman had brought her husband in to the town on the wagon, he passed away, and soon a crowd was forming around the sobbing, howling woman as they heard her tale. And soon, rumors began to spread about a wicked, winged boy in the forest- who- if he touched you- caused death.

The men of the village were debating starting a hunt, knowing they could not allow such a beast to roam free, but until a solution was figured out- the entire town had a curfew-
To be in doors just before dark- with all of the doors locked.
And no one was allowed to go into the forests. No one.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ahnnie

And no one was allowed to go into the forests. No one.

The young woman's footsteps were tired and slow. She was dressed plainly with a bag slung over her shoulder and a ball of fire in her hands. As she moved down the forest path, the fire illuminated the way for her, casting back eerie shadows like disgruntled ghosts glaring balefully at the light. Once or twice an animal sounded out in the darkness. Every time such noises were heard, she would turn her head in that general direction for a brief moment while continuing on her journey. She hoped it would end soon. Her feet were so tired.

Sacora didn't fancy long walks into the forest like this. This was a bit of a different walk than her usual leisurely strolls--she was returning to Jadenshine from Ravensway and, in her eagerness to reach her home soon, had decided to continue walking until dark. It was with the logic that she might find lodgings soon that she decided to do so. Unfortunately, there seemed to be no such place while she was on the path; another look at her map told her she had somehow gotten lost, for there was supposed to have been a town hours back.

If there was no place soon, she would have to make a camp. That was fine; she'd done it plenty of times before. And with her fire, there was no need to worry about making a camp in the dark. Still, thoughts of a nice bed tempted her to continue--for why else was there a path in this forest, if it wasn't to lead to a town or village?

She now found herself in a dense wood, rather swamp-like in nature, with a hillock some hundred or so feet away from her. It was here she paused, for her feet felt as though they would give away. She quickly unpacked a sleeping bag from her bag and, marking the spot with a small magic stone that glowed, went to collect some wood for a fire. She was picking up a good bundle in her arms and was bending down to collect the last of the wood when a dark form on the ground caught her eye. She stood awhile staring at it before dropping the wood and rushing over to it, for it turned out to to resemble the form of a person.

Lighting her hand with another fireball, she used it to illuminate the unconscious person's features. He was a youth with eerily blackened skin and moth wings on his back. He seemed to be alive...Sacora stood riveted to the spot, entranced by the wings and general strange appearance of the boy. A moment later she realized that something could be wrong with him. Tentatively, she reached out a hand to him, intending to shake him on the shoulder.

"Hello? Can you hear me?" Meanwhile she knelt down and her hand was growing closer and closer...

visualspice

It was the warmth of the fire that drew him from the dark, the crisp and curdling flame. He never knew why he, and all of his ancestors before him were so drawn to it, but fire was like a drug, and he the addict. So when he heard it, his face twitched a moment, brow furrowing before he released a light groan, and just before her hands had a chance to touch him, those red eyes opened, blinking once, as the dance of the fire reflected across those ruby red eyes.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ahnnie

Sacora drew back a little when she heard the groan and saw him open his eyes. The action had surprised her, stopping her hand midway, and she let it fall back by her side. She looked him over a second time with a cursory glance and watched his eyes, ruby red in color, as they stared at the fire in her hands. Who was he? No, what was he? Sacora had never seen anyone with moth wings before. She had met several bird-winged Yoreiqi in the Meeting Place once, but they didn't have wings of the insect sort. Why had he been passed out on the forest floor like this? He couldn't have been camping out here, not with the lack of a campfire and a tent or sleeping bag nearby. And then, why was his skin blackened so? Was he diseased? In that case, she had better find a doctor. "Ah, you're waking up. Can you hear me? Can you understand? Are you hurt?"

visualspice

At her voice, he backed away with a jerk, seeming to come to his senses where as a moment before, he had been completely transfixed. But that's how the pull of the fire was with him- so strong, almost tangible, and where it not for his fear and confusion, he'd be drawn to it without a doubt.

"Don't come near me!" he snapped, gripping onto his blackened limb as he took a defensive step back. "Stay away!"

Ahnnie

Sacora jolted when the boy jerked away, suddenly more aware and in control of his senses than he had been a moment before. She stared awhile at him, a little taken aback by his violent reaction. Then again, it was probably to be expected--he was alone in the forest with a strange disease. Either he had come here by himself or someone abandoned him here. Her fire may have been another factor, but he didn't seem bothered by it then. One could never know, though.

"Don't come near me! Stay away!"

Sacora bit down on her lower lip in thought and began to answer coaxingly, "It's ok, I won't hurt you. I just found you on the ground...is everything all right?" Chancing one step--just one, small step closer--the young woman held out the fire to illuminate the way and added, "I can find some help for you if you need it. Just tell me what's wrong."

visualspice

The young man flinched back, but his eyes caught to the flame and he grew quiet, mesmerized by its dance. It was then he grit his teeth and said, "I don't need any help." And he used his hand to feebly hide the mark on his arm.

Ahnnie

He flinched at her step and his eyes were locked onto the flame in her hands. But then he grit his teeth and snapped, "I don't need any help." A feeble hand went up to cover the blackened skin on his arm. Sacora's attention was once again drawn to that arm. The black skin that covered it hadn't seemed like a regular bruise when she saw it earlier in the firelight. It did not seem like he was dealing with the rot, either--for it consumed his entire arm, and was colored so very darkly. There were no open flesh wounds, so how could it rot? Sacora guessed it was either something physical yet to be discovered by healers, perhaps something that happened only to his kind, or something magical inflicted upon him.

She could also see that it wouldn't be easy dealing with this moth-winged boy. He was both stubborn and cautious. With a slight sigh of resolution she tried coaxing him again, "Perhaps, but are you hungry? Thirsty? I have food and water back at my camp. I will also be making a fire...it wouldn't do to sleep on the cold ground like that."

((Is Miersck's mark all over his body or is it just on his arm now?
fixed the description))

visualspice

OOC: Basically his mark started at his hand, by the time this thread starts, it's all the way up one of his arms, consuming it entirely. He also has some of the blackness stretching out like black veins beneath his skin, towards his face, some on his neck and chest/ back around his affected shoulder. It's his left side that's affected. And oh, a minor detail, but if she were to notice, his moth wings are scarred, as they had been injured in the thread before this one :)

-------

Miersck made another noise and took a quick step back, still remaining hunched and guarded.
"I told you to stay away!" he growled. "I don't need your help!"

Ahnnie

((Ah, ok ^_^))

"I told you to stay away! I don't need your help!" He made another step back, retreating farther away from her.

Sacora stared at this boy with a rather pained expression, wishing to help but unable to for he denied it. She tilted her head in thought, but alas came to the point that, well, if he didn't want any help--and reiterated it so vociferously--then she couldn't do anything. It would not do to force the help on him. She straightened up onto her feet, for she had been in something of a half-kneel the entire time, and turned back to her fallen woodpile. "In that case, I won't bother you any longer. I will be nearby, though, if you need me." It tore at her conscience to turn away from him like this, because that arm of his bothered him (at least she believed so, for he kept on clutching at it and his hand movement was weak when he tried to cover it), his wings had scratches and scars, and Sacora could not forget how she had found him: unconscious on the dark forest ground.

When she came back to the wood, she chanced a look back at him and then had an idea. She arranged a little pile of wood where she was into a fire circle and lit it with hearty, blazing flames. He could still move, she surmised, so once she was a little farther away from him back at her own camp, he could come over to this fire any time he wanted. It would definitely be better than sleeping on the cold ground, which had been ardently forewarned by Sacora's foster parents as the surefire death of any camper! With this thought, there was a lighter spring in her step as she took the remaining wood, searched for more, and then returned to her little glowstone mark that marked out her camp.

After she had gone about lighting her own fire, she took some things from her pack and headed back to the first fire, laying them out within range of the fire's light. They were wrapped rations in a cloth, consisting of jerky, fruit, and some cakes, and a waterskin. She had only one more excursion left, and that was to collect more wood to place it near the moth boy's fire, so that he could maintain it throughout the night. When even that was done, she fought the urge to look back towards him and retreated to her sleeping bag. She crawled into it and lay her head down, supposing that if the moth boy didn't feel comfortable around her presence, he might feel more at ease knowing she was asleep and tucked away.

visualspice

It was cold. He shivered. He was never a fan of the cold. In fact, he was never really a fan of being alone. Though he'd never outwardly admit it. His time with Alycia changed a lot of that- but he was still Miersck, and he was stubborn to a fault.

But he could not ignore his hunger, or the pain, or the emptiness, the confusion, and the thirst for answers. He never liked the consequences of his mark, it never lead to anything good. This time was no exception. And the fact the mark was getting worse, and it's path- growing....
It had him more than on edge and he peered down at it again with a soured look as his white hair fell over his red eyes.

His lips curled back as he growled, and tore his eyes away, kicking angrily at the ground before those eyes wandered over towards the dancing flames. For the longest moment he found himself staring at the flames and yearning to be closer- to touch it, to feel it's warmth. And the idea of being out here all alone in the cold...
He shivered again.

But this was instincts he could not ignore, and he felt his entire being become over whelmed with anxious want. And being cold, hungry and alone....
It lead him to tentatively turn in her direction, to take another step towards her, if even slow. And somehow he was finding himself not to far away. But he kept himself tucked away behind the trees- watching her from afar...

Much as he had once did back in his own home village....
when someone of the flame came by. And he could have cursed himself for it- in fact he did, and did so harshly as he bristled. But he did what he could to cover his arm best as he moved forward, hurriedly, grumpily, before standing before her and the fire without so much as saying a word.

He looked angry, upset- as indicated by the wrinkled creasing on his face. But he barely gave her so much as a glance before he turned to the fire, and just simply watched it danced, and felt some form of relief wash over him when it's warmth touched his skin. And it took every ounce of his being not to reach out and touch it. For as much as he desired the flames without reason, he knew the consequences well-
and he was in no mood to get burned.

At least, somehow, he had his own fire.

Ahnnie

Sacora turned her head around and opened her eyes a peep between the lush curtains of her hair to see if the moth boy had accepted the fire she made for him. When she saw him there she blinked sleepily and turned away, feeling a little lighter on her conscience and thus, more relaxed. He seemed so young, and yet as if he had already been through so much. He couldn't have been at least...any older than she was when she lost her foster parents, she estimated; and she was fifteen at the time. Her fatigue soon caught up with her and she was drifting off to a light slumber warmed by her sleeping bag and the faint warmth of the fire on her cheeks. She slept with the upper flap of the bag covering most of her face, leaving only her eyes and what hair that fell over them exposed to the open.

About an hour or so later she stirred awake, interrupted by some dream mechanism that she'd forgotten about upon opening her eyes. She brushed some hair from her face and turned over on her side, seeking out a comfortable position to continue her sleep. When she lay still again, she stared drowsily at the diminishing fire before her, and with a lazy gesture tossed a few nearby sticks into the pile, feeding more flames onto it. Then her eyelids grew heavy and she was being whisked off into dreamland once more.

visualspice

The moth fae hadn't considered feeding his own fire when he huddled close to it and drifted off to slumber, but when he awoke, cold and shivering, he peered over to where Sacora had just refed her own flames. Her fire dazzled him, and before he knew what he was doing, he moved over towards her camp and crouched near the flames, eyes fixated on the fire's dance.

Ahnnie

Sacora had good dreams she supposed, as good a dream as a tired traveler like her could have. Dreaming took all the cares of life away, whether they be funny dreams, serious dreams, or weird dreams that made no sense. It was interesting how one could easily forget all the things that happened in the waking world when one was dreaming, as if they never happened. She forgot that Miersck even existed at all as she was sleeping...until she woke up a little later, as she was accustomed to doing when sleeping in the woods. He was no longer at his fire but hers, staring at the fire intently. Without a word she fed a few more sticks into the flames and tucked herself back into the sleeping bag. "You should probably sleep, it'll be morning soon," she mumbled drowsily.

visualspice

Miersck went still when she moved. Though when she added more fuel to the fire, he barely flinched as the fire cracked and popped at is began to lap it's flames upon it's new food. With the fire light growing, his eyes continued to remain fixated upon their dance. It was a calming but also anxiety inducing effect, and at this moment, he was too tired to care. Ironic thing about her statement was that his type generally slept all day. However.. his days traveling with Alycia the mermaid had him more or less forced to become less nocturnal. But with his world having been turned upside down, he was more irritable than ever- and also more wary.

It was then he realized the mark on his arm would be noticeable and he turned away suddenly from where she lay, an arm draped over it, clutching it tight. Now his wings would be to her, and it would be more than evident than were anything but pristine. In fact, by the looks of things,it was possible his wings had a sustaining injury. But if it hurt the moth fae, he made no indication there of.

After a few moments of silence, he found himself irritably growling out, "Why'd you have to make a fire?" The tone obviously had 'he blamed her' written all over it, though despite his only vocalization about his unfavorable attitude towards the flames, he remained close by, eyes still locked on it.

OOC: Hope this post makes sense XD I am half asleep writing this and also still sick x.x

Ahnnie

((Don't worry, it makes perfect sense ^^
And get well soon!))

When the moth boy saw her move, he froze, although his eyes were still fixed on the fire. He seemed to like gazing at the fire. She wondered why...ah, of course, he was part moth! Sacora felt silly, for that should have been apparent earlier. Those wings of his were moth wings, right? So it was safe to assume he might retain some of the characteristics of the insect, one of them being their love of light. But she was rather sleepy, so it didn't matter much at the moment. As her eyes regarded the flames and the moth boy's form in lowering slits, he suddenly became wary of her seeing something and turned away so that his back was to her.

In the fire's light, his wings were easier to see. And indeed, they were anything but pristine. It only confirmed to her further that he had been through a lot...a lot of what, she didn't presume to know, but it must not have been easy. That coupled with his irritation and suspicion made it even more obvious. He wasn't going away from her fire though, so everything still seemed to be ok. He was just the sort to flinch every time she so much as moved or spoke. That he still stuck around was quite heartening, if one could take it that way.

Her eyes were fully closed again as she drifted off to sleep, there being nothing but silence to encourage her to continue her slumber. A little while later his voice rang out amongst the fog of her fatigue, asking her reproachfully "Why'd you have to make a fire?"

Her eyes fluttered open again and she stared at the crackling flames awhile before answering, "Well...I made one so I could keep warm, and so I could see my way in the dark. It's awfully dark out here in the forest at night. A fire also keeps the predators at bay." After a few moments of sleepy contemplation, she added, "Does it bother you?"

visualspice

Miersck made a face, his lower lip jutting out and his brow furrowing. Does it bother him?

"Do acorns fall from trees? Of course it does!" he spat, body bristling, especially his wings. He didn't bother to go on to explain, as he sourly kept his back to her still, shifting only slightly as he continued to watch the fire, unmoving.

Ahnnie

"Do acorns fall from trees? Of course it does!"

Sacora blinked several times, unable to see the correlation between acorns falling from trees and his obvious displeasure at her fire. She could understand the premise of his statement, that it should be obvious he was not happy with her fire, as obviously as acorns falling from trees. She just didn't get the metaphor, as in, why would he use an acorn falling from a tree to emphasize the point? Not all acorns fell, not at the same time anyway. But those were the ramblings of a sleepy mind and she tried hard to refocus on the present situation.

His tone was very petulant, almost childish, made even more so by the fact that he didn't bother to explain and that he was still keeping an eye on the fire, however discreet. Instead of infuriating her it amused her somewhat. It was...kind of adorable, she thought, and she wondered if this was what it felt like to have a little brother. A little stubborn, quarrelsome brother.

"Well, I'm sorry of it bothers you. But there's nothing I can do about it," she said matter-of-factly. "Do you hate fire?" she asked next, although she believed she already knew the answer. It didn't hurt to tease him a little, though.

visualspice

At such an inquiry, he simply grit his teeth and growled out a , "Yes."
Though he still did not look away from it for fear it might go out as he supposedly wished. In truth, the very idea made him anxious, even as the lull of the fire was also intoxicating.

Yes.. he hated fire. But he also loved it. Such a curse!

Ahnnie

"Yes."

She knew it. Whether he truly hated the substance, she had no way of knowing, but she had an inkling he would've gone along with any answer that contradicted her. It brought a smile to her face although she hid that in the sleeping bag so he wouldn't see. "I see," she answered then. "I hope you don't mind, then, if I keep it up until morning..." With that, she was off to sleep once more, although there probably wasn't much longer until her predicted morning would come to awaken her, to bring her back fully into the land of the waking.

When the sky was still leaden-gray with early morning clouds, when the sun was not yet fully risen, and when the forest birds began their song, Sacora's eyes blinked open to see the diminishing flames of her fire before her. She squinted them shut as she let out a yawn and stretched her limbs. Sitting up, she brushed the hair out of her face and bent over to her pack to retrieve her waterskin...oh wait...she then remembered she had left it at the fire she made for the moth boy the previous night. Speaking of the moth boy..."Good morning."

((Hope you don't mind the time skip? I'm estimating that it was about 3-4 hours after her last remark before falling back asleep.))