Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Devil, The Son, and the Fool (M)

Started by Lion, February 25, 2017, 01:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blink

Loading the last bit of supplies on the cart Paisley leaned against it, her gaze towards the sky as she tried to regain her breath. "Whew..." she muttered, wiping at her brow before letting her arm slink back down beside her. Already she was tired and they hadn't even left yet and now she was questioning her own judgement. Perhaps it wasn't the best idea to stay up so late practicing.

However, when Roland's voice greeted her Paisley snapped her head forwards and pushed herself off the cart. No way was she going to let Roland see her this exhausted already. When he put his fist to his chest Paisley mirrored him, almost forgetting that was what they were supposed to do. With a nod she acknowledged his greeting before taking a step around him.

Picking up another handful of supplies Paisley pretended to be hard at work while Roland talked, casually sliding it all on the cart in the way she was instructed to earlier. "A march? Of course." Paisley was yet again lying, not willing to let her inexperience make Roland think any less of her. Again she went to load more supplies, only to trip over her own feet for a second before regaining her balance. "I am fantastic!" another lie as she angrily shoved the bundle onto the cart.

Silently admitting defeat Paisley kicked at the dirt as she stepped away from the wagon, holding a hand on each hip, her chest rising and falling in exasperation. "Did you hear? Stellan fixed my bow."

Lion

She could try and pretend to be as cool as winter water all she wanted, but Roland was having a hard enough time keeping from laughing as she answered him with all the gusto that always seemed a little much. Perhaps a bit overly done? He could understand why she did it, although he wouldn't want to embarrass her in front of her squad.

So instead he walked a bit and gestured for her to follow him. The rest of the troop would begin to move in just under an hour, and the horses were getting tethered to wagons and the captains were barking orders. Stellan's tent was taken down and he waved a little to Paisley and saluted to Roland when they passed by.

"Didn't I tell you that he'd fix it for you?" he chuckled, grinning knowingly at her. "His surprisingly handy although he only has the one hand. I hope all is satisfactory in that department. And, now that it's between you and me, I just wanted to extend my apologies. For sending you into the belly of the beast like that the other day. You came out all right, but I promised I had your back. And yet you nearly died."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Blink

What started off as joking around Roland quickly turned into a serious conversation. He was apologizing, something Paisley had not even considered to be a topic of discussion... ever.

At first, Paisley was silent as she digested what Roland had said, but quickly her demeanor changed into something far more serious. "Roland stop." She almost seemed offended that he was apologizing to her, but in reality, she was expressing something far deeper.

"Don't you remember the first day we met? How I stood in your tent and vowed to follow you to death's door should it ever come to it?" Taking a deep breath Paisley did her best to keep herself calm, better yet to keep herself from yelling at him.

"I did not almost die. I was hit in the head and my bow was fractured, all things fixed now. The only reason I was even able to walk into the tavern was because I knew all of you had my back. If I ever die while fighting for Red Legion it will be my own fault. It will be because I wasn't fast enough, strong enough or smart enough."

This was why Paisley usually walked with a chip on her shoulder. This conversation alone being the cause of the bark behind the small dog. She didn't want others worrying about her or even worse feeling sorry for the trouble she herself had gotten into. Ansgar knew she had enough of that growing up and now... well now she would do everything in her power to keep it from happening ever again.

"I will do better next time."

Lion

Roland could appreciate the fact that she didn't want him worrying over her. And more to the point, she was right! He couldn't always wonder if she was going to trip on an overgrown root and break her arm trying to stop the landing. She wasn't his child. But he cared for every one of his Legionnaires. Yes, they followed him and would do so unto death.

But that spark, that little fire inside her was what he was looking for. And he was glad that she was here. His eyes inspected her features and he extended a hand out to her to shake it firmly.

"You did well, Paisley."  He laughed and he'd had enough of his own cackling, he let go of her hand. "I can at least say that I'm proud of you. You're surprisingly more agile, and more tenacious than anticipated. It's a pleasant surprise."

The sound of feet on the ground began to take place and wagons slowly began to move out of the borders of Kogan, although Roland remained with Paisley and marched along with her. "How goes your training? Well, I hope. You learning to use that dagger any?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Blink

Finally able to let go of the breath she did not realize she was holding Paisley smiled. Roland said he was proud of her, something she had never been told before. Her parents although supportive of her need to be something more never once used the one word she had desperately wanted to hear. It all made sense really, they could never understand the skill she truly possessed due to the skillset they lacked.

"Thank you" her words genuine and true.

As she began to walk with her unit Paisley noticed how Roland never wondered off. "By no means am I an expert. I would like to think I have improved but I still have so far to go." Recalling her last sparring match where she ended up on the ground Paisley pursed her lips. "But don't you worry. One day I will be a force to be reckoned with and challengers will fall to more than just my arrow."

"As for the dagger..." Paisley smirked as her hand instinctively went to the holster at her side. "Baby steps."

"So what happened to Dyson? Have you disposed of him yet?"

Lion

Roland was much more subtle in requesting that certain things be left unsaid. Well, in regards to their guest anyway. He kept his face forward and he moved in closer to her and leaned in so that only she could hear. "Our guest is on the move with us. There's no use killing him when I need him to get into the city. He was very useful. And still is, for the time being."

Roland tilted his head at her. "You have a way of getting people to trust you, Maika. People that don't normally talk, look at you and waggle their tongues. Dyson needed a lot of convincing from me. But with you...he just let the cat out of the bag," he chuckled.

"Whatever you're doing, keep doing it. It's working," he murmured.  He clapped her shoulder and marched off toward where the horses were being gathered. And it was there he mounted the animal and cantered off toward his other advisors.

The march was going to be a long one that was for damn sure. Vermillion was at least a week away, but if there was any time to march, it was going to be now. The army was fed and ready. They were tired of waiting.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

The thought of having Dyson moving with the Legion put Paisley on edge. Already her eyes were scanning the various carts and Legionnaires looking for him. Roland may have thought him useful but to Paisley, he was nothing more than a flea that had yet to be stepped on.

Her vengeful attitude though was taken by Roland's encouraging words. As he walked away she stood speechless before continuing on with her unit. She knew people trusted her easily, but it wasn't because of a pure personality. No, Paisley knew it was because she was often underestimated.

Turning to a fellow Legionnaire Paisley smiled, already trying to mentally prepare her for this long march. "Are we there yet?" Both of them laughed at the joke, the comradery continuing to grow between herself and her fellow Legionnaires.

Lion

The march was grating and hurried. And what should have taken a week instead was transferred into about five days. The legionnaires that marched into Falkenrath's border did so line by line, their gear carried, their shields up, and moved between farmland, roads, and the forests of Athervaan Lake. Roland was among them, although moving in and around the crowd to ensure that his soldiers were doing well enough.

Then Vermillion came into view, the city walls rising high around them all. Stone that was broken here and there, and what remained of the homeguard looked on at the massive army that emerged before the gates. "I am here to see the Duke!" Roland called out. "OPEN THE GATES!"

They did not budge and only when a Legionnaire was close enough to the gate, did he extend a rolled up piece of parchment, passing it through a slot in the door. And stepped back toward his line. The Falkenrath soldier read the note, blinked at them. and quickly ran toward the towering hulk of Iron Keep within.

It was some hours before the soldier returned and there the two stared at one another for the longest time. It was almost nightfall before the gates opened. And there the Red Legion passed it's way through.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

Days passed and nights drug on as Paisley traveled with her fellow Legionnaires. Finally, on the fifth day, it seemed their journey almost over, Falkenrath's border now under their feet. All as one they moved through the landscape and found themselves in Vermillion, standing before a wall for hours on end as Roland awaited a response to the parchment he handed them.

Paisley in this time made her way towards the front of the line, prepared to stand by Roland as they entered the gates. An archer such as herself was not meant for the front lines, but Paisley did not care. Her commander was clearly being civil, obvious by the fact they were waiting for the gates to be opened rather than forcing their way through.

When the gates finally opened the night had already taken the sky and the torches around Iron Keep illuminated the sky. The flicker of a fire lighting Paisley's face as she took on the massive architecture in awe. As her eyes wandered a hand remained at her side over the sheath the carried the large dagger within. Paisley was prepared for whatever may come her way, knowing the Red Legion was at her side.

She need not say anything as she walked beside Roland, and if he shooed her away she would simply ignore it. Paisley wasn't going anywhere...

Lion

Forcing their way through was definitely an option that Roland had considered. He had the men for it, the supplies, and he patience for siege Vermillion for days. But he didn't want to do that. He didn't want to slaughter needless lives for the sake of a brick, of a throne, of a lonely castle that stood towering over the rest of his city. He'd read on the history of Vermillion. This used to be a thriving jewel in the southern portion of the province, and people with the coin to prove their worth settled here.

Under the Brennick family, Falkenrath became more than a farmer's homestead. Mining, textiles, smithing, jewel making, trade upon trade settled or crossed through here at some point. The duchy's nearly central position made it an important hub for merchants that made their way across the border and into Matron's Hollow.

Roland couldn't lie to himself. It was sad to see what had been such a jewel driven down into destitution by war. Even Roland had never known more coin than he could count before the Red Legion started. The gold that didn't make it here, inevitably ended somewhere else. The question of where was irrelevant.The why, however, remained a prevalent nag on the back of his mind.

He hadn't truly noticed Paisley beside him until he dropped from his horse and led the way through to Iron Keep. The castle hadn't quite been as palatial as the city proper. It's walls were thick and heldfast against the tortures of time. It served it's purpose well and lived up to it's name. Roland's eyes flicked upward as he eyed the iron spikes on the parapets above them. The contingent of guards following him made no motion, kept their eyes ahead and Dyson Atrade was held in the center of them all.

Roland stepped in through the great hall, and there sat the haggard and tired form of Duke Charles Brennick. He clutched the parchment in hand and stared down at Roland with burning eyes. He didn't crumple the paper, but instead, glared down at them. "Trespassers," he murmured aloud. "All of you." And his eyes fell on Atrade, who flailed in the grip of the two Legionnaires that held him.

"My-my lord!" he howled, trying to free himself. "Unhand me you heathens! YOU! FUCKING TRAITORS!"

"The only traitor here, my Lord, is the man in custody there,'" Roland said, standing and moving forward. Only then did the remaining guards move to impede his path. And Legionnaires beside him held their hands to their blades. "Easy now," Roland raised his hands to show he meant no harm.  "I have come to request an audience. The 'request' part being the formality here."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

In the great hall, it seemed tensions were high. Even Paisley drew her bow and notched in an arrow as guards stepped in front of Roland. However, at Roland's command, Paisley kept her bow lowered, the arrow pointing towards the floor.

She wasn't afraid, her body clearly displaying a sense of calm as her arms remained still. No, Paisley was anxious, ready to fight alongside her fellow Legionnaires should the situation call for it. All she needed was Roland's command and the Duke of Falkenrath would suffer the fate his advisor intended for Roland.

"I won't miss this time" she thought as she pictured sending an arrow straight through Charles Brennick's skull.

Lion

It was a good thing she held that arrow still, and those that stood at Roland's back didn't move. And regarded only his safety. Roland blinked slowly and bowed his head to the Duke. "With all due respect, my lord, I have an important proposition that I think you'll want to hear before making any rash decisions," he replied steadily.

Charles Brennick wasn't going to pretend he welcomed this heathen into his halls. There was no use for pretending anymore. "You make it seem as if i have a choice," he said gruffly. "I guess there's some humility in that. But I won't pretend I wish you here, and I won't pretend that I don't hate you with every fiber of my being. You may have your audience, however, Lord Commander. Come then to the audience chamber above. If you have the means."

Roland nodded and followed him with the group of Legionnaires that followed, Paisley among them. And in that audience Chamber, Brennick to the seat on the raised throne that was the seat of power for the Duke of Falkenrath, and his guards too remained as stalwart as ever. Even as their forces were broken, still they stood proud and would serve their Duke to the very end.

"So this proposal," Duke Brennick murmured and lounged lazily in his chair. He kept his gaze level with all of them, even eyeing the squirt in the back with that dinky bow. "What did you have to tell me?"

"I understand the people of your duchy aren't exactly thriving as they once were,"Roland said. "I am here to change that. I do not come marching over your borders as an act of war, but as one of hope. Perhaps. With my army, I bring with me food, farmers, seed, cattle, and the people to work the land. They march with me because they too see the desperation this conflict has brought about, and together, we can change that. With all due respect."

Charles made a scoffing noise, one that resounded off the walls and he soon chuckled, cacophonous and making Atrade squirm vilely where he was held. "And? In exchange for what? I don't suppose you'd be offering all of this as means of good charity. So why did you really come here, Harker!?"

"For that chair. You're sitting on. Right. Now." Roland replied, and gestured for Atrade to be brought forward. "This man sent assassins after me. Tried to take my life, and had he succeeded, my army would have still marched forward. But instead of bearing food and sustenance, they would have burned, pillaged, and slew every soul we passed on our way through here."

"Oh, thank you for presenting me with such generosity," Brennick replied tone, half mocking but as he looked down to Atrade, he saw nothing more than a conniving little snake. "Is this true, Dyson? You look at your Duke when he addresses you!"

Atrade whimpered and was thrown to his knees. The Legionnaire beside him stepped back, stern and facing forward again. "Y-yes!" he said. "I-I only sought to do what was best for Falkenrath, your lordship! You must understand!"

"I understand that you sought to make a diplomatic decision without consulting me, that would involve me, my home, and my people. Atrade, you were among my most trusted. How could you do this?"

"He hadn't planned on keeping it secret for long it turned out. He would have gotten rid of you as well, Duke Brennick. Thankfully, he failed, for both of our sakes. But that aside, his fate shall be decided shortly," Roland answered instead, leaving Atrade there to whimper before the dais pathetically. "You're right, however, my lord. I didn't come here simply to give charity. My offer is simple. Your throne in exchange for the thriving of your people. All will be gone of the Brennick legacy, save yourself. You will remain here in a protected wing of the Keep."

He expected it, he knew he did, however Charles leaned forward in that chair and shut his eyes tightly. "You come into my homeland and give me ....this....this 'con' as a gift? And think I will simply accept! I am no fool, Harker! Why should I give you my throne!? You will stab me in the back as soon as I turn it!"

"And what good would that do me? Should you accept my offer - and you will - your death serves me no purpose. If I meant to bring such destruction, why would I be before you now to speak as men should!? I would have simply done it. That is the fact. And the truth is that you have no army to defend your borders. I do. You have no food to feed your people. I do. Your people will become my people.  That is the truth. And I will execute traitors and any other monstrosities that would threaten the fate of Falkenrath. Case in point. Private Maika, step forward."

Roland stood to the side. "Execute him," Roland murmured and gestured to Atrade.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

Following Roland, to the audience chamber, Paisley remained on high alert. The grip on her bow and the itch in her fingertips to pull the string back ever present. She was ready, should the situation call for it to launch an arrow into whoever threatened her brothers and sisters in arms.

As Duke Brennick glared at her Paisley returned it with one of her own, ten thousand times more potent. Adjusting her grip Paisley was ready, prepared for whatever she may have to do on this day. However, when Roland called her forwards Paisley all but shattered on the inside. Suddenly the attention was on her, all eyes bearing down on the small woman with a 'dinky' bow.

Summoning what courage she could find Paisley appeared nothing but calm and poised as she stepped forwards, the sound of her boots echoing with each step in the silent hall. Nothing could prepare her for what Roland asked of her. He was so cool about it as he motioned towards Dyson.

Was this not what she wanted? To end the life of the man who caused the untimely end of her bow. She knew if the tables were turned he would not hesitate, the bow would already be drawn and the arrow flying at her own skull. What seemed like an eternity in her mind was only a few seconds of hesitation on the outside.

Nodding at Roland Paisley lifted her bow, pulling the bowstring back and locking her elbow in place. This was it, the moment she had been working towards. Dyson Atrade would be the first human to die from the bow she was given. This was her chance to prove she could kill someone without an angry outburst being the cause.

Taking a deep breath Paisley watched as the world around her went into slow motion. Her target, the back of Dyson Atrade's head. She could hear the tension in the bowstring as she pulled it back as far as she could, the force that would come of it enough to kill him in one shot.

As much as she wanted to say something snarky before she took his life Paisley didn't. This wasn't the time for a 'what goes around comes around' moment. She knew there was a purpose to this, to show that Roland meant business. And so, Paisley released.... the arrow striking true in the back of Dyson's head with enough force to send it through to the other side. The act alone only taking a few seconds from the time she took aim to the time she released.

Immediately she pulled another arrow from her quiver and notched it in, ready to take aim on anyone who would move towards her from the act.

Lion

As the arrow quickly ended Dyson Atrade, Roland took a step forward and watched the horror slowly leave Charles Brennick's eyes. He hadn't expected Dyson to be killed so quickly, so decisively to be sure. But now that it was done, he knew there was no going back now. Brennick stood up and swallowed hard.

"You showed him no mercy," he said slowly.

"I only showed him the same mercy he afforded me," Roland replied steadily. "Now, what is your answer,Brennick? Do you accept my offer?"

Charles dropped his head, fists clenched tightly against his form. "Yes," he murmured. "Yes, I accept. I have no other options. The Grand Duke will not lend me aid. I have exhausted all other avenues. Roland, if what you say is true. Then I give you my throne. Falkenrath is yours."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

The night continued peacefully as the Red Legion settled around the Iron Keep. Paisley found her way to her unit after the occurrence with Dyson and without word helped set up their tent and unload their supplies. Sleep did not come easy that night as Paisley replayed the death of Dyson Atrade over and over in her head.

That morning Paisley opted to let our her inner frustrations in the best way she knew how. Despite how many times she was thrown to the ground by her opponent Paisley got back up, sparring with a fellow Legionnaire who by now was most likely getting amusement from knocking her down. Again she hit the ground with a thump, the dust clouding around her from the impact.

Slowly she pushed herself up and stood before her opponent, running at him as soon as she was able. In all honesty, she was getting better, able to dodge at least two or three assaults before finally, the Legionnaire caught her off guard. Every time she was knocked down her opponent asked her to concede, in which she responded with silence. Standing yet again Paisley brushed the dirt off of her clothes and held her hands in the air before walking towards her sparring partner in what looked like a signal of truce.

Just as she was in range the man held his hand out to shake, signifying a peace between the two. Paisley, however, had other plans, and instead mocked to return the gesture but instead grasped his arm with both hands. Pulling him towards her she used gravity just as she had in the tavern and flipped the man over her as she pulled them both to the ground. Both of them hit the dirt with a loud thud and lay on the ground exhausted.

"Never underestimate your opponent." Paisley now being the one to offer advice as she rolled onto her stomach and pushed herself up. Just as she was on her feet a force knocked her back down, her sparring partner using his feet to sweep under her own.

"Never underestimate your opponent" he mocked as he stood up laughing, clapping his hands together to rid them of dirt.

"I concede" she finally muttered, not willing to submit herself to further torture by the hands of her fellow Legionnaire. She had had enough and by now her body was screaming at her to take a break. Extending a helping hand another Legionnaire stepped forwards, helping her to her feet as they both brushed the dust off of her.

Lion

"You've got the moves, Maika," Roland murmured, appreciating the skill she took in getting thrown around and finally using her stature to her advantage rather than letting it get the better of her. She was tenacioius, that could be admired. Roland grinned as he approached and saluted the other Legionnaires to dismiss them as he spoke to her alone.

"It's a decent morning. Odd, how quiet it is. How are things out here? With you? Still sleeping on a cold hard mat?" he asked. She had a few scratches on her, but over all she wasn't too banged up. That was always a good sign.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

Smirking Paisley continued to brush the dirt from her clothing before placing a hand on each hip as Roland approached. "I have grown quite accustomed to my cold hard mat Roland."

"And you? Still sleeping in that wonderful chamber with a bed." Now it was time to poke fun, the infamous Roland Harker sleeping like a king within the Iron Keep. "I bet you even have a bath." In truth she was jealous, but making it seem like her circumstances were better was so much more fun.

"Private Weinstein also has the most melodic snoring in all of Connlaoth. Don't know how I could fall asleep without the chest rattles and snorting, to be honest." Taking a step towards Roland Paisley then crossed her arms over one another, clearly feeling like she was on a roll. "Oh and let us not forget Bricker and his sleep walking. So much fun to wake up to a man serenading a tent pole."

Lion

"Bricker...sleep walks? I shall...keep that in mind," he replied, and Roland raised brows at her, eyes flicking to the rest of her encampment. Her squad was a rather special one at that. All Legionnaires were trained the same way until specializations were considered. Those that were more attuned to certain tasks were set to them.

"In truth, I slept on the floor. Piled up the pillows as best I could. It's been a lot of change for me too," he admitted. "That being said, I had a thought. You've gotten to be rather invaluable in this endeavor, Maika. I'd just like the opportunity to show my appreciation. How would you like to sleep off the floor for once?"

Oh, that could easily be taken out of context so Roland extended his hand to her. "I do of course mean that you'll be getting your own cot. It won't do for you to sleep on that cold hard mat any more, Lieutenant Maika."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

Standing wide-eyed Paisley couldn't believe the words she was hearing. At first, she wasn't quite sure what was more exciting. Sleeping on a cot, or the fact that she was now a Lieutenant.

"R-really?" Her reply to both statements as she stood lost for any more words. Paisley's actions were never intended to gain her a promotion, or a cot for that matter. From the beginning, she had been doing what she always thought was right. Joining the Red Legion, a way to give back to her country she could only dream of. Secretly interrogating Dyson Atrade, an act only performed for the better of Red Legion. Following Roland to Iron Keep, a means to get this entire mess straightened out.

No longer did she stand with her usual cockiness, but instead represented the very essence of appreciation.

"Thank you, Roland"

Lifting a fist to her chest Paisley saluted Roland, the only thing she could think of to show him how truly grateful she was for this.

Lion

So she left his handshake hanging there, but once she finally got the salute down pat, he made a fist and slung it across his chest just as she did. The Red Legion salute was simple enough and easy to disguise as a mere gesture, but to those that knew what it meant understood the gravity and brotherhood behind it.

"No. Don't thank me. Paisley you earned it," he said, nodding to her. "Your dedication, loyalty, and tenacity are what make you useful, Maika. And I'm glad you chose to stay. Now, I'm not getting sappy here, but truly, you are an asset for the Legion. And I look forward to learning more of your triumphs and exploits."

He winked at her and pulled her hand from her chest and shook her hand firmly.

"With it, you get your own cot, and proper gear. And people that actually listen to you. Buuuut, I think you'd better get used to the name String Bean. That won't ever go away."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn