Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Devil, The Son, and the Fool (M)

Started by Lion, February 25, 2017, 01:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blink

Slowly pulling her face from her hand at the sound of Roland digging through some things Paisley was confused. Eventually she sat back up, only to be more confused when he handed her a small cloak pin. She was about to ask what it was but he answered before she even had a chance.

Taking the pin she wrapped her fingers around it, the cool metal imprinting itself on her skin. She acted as if it were some small trinket, but already she felt an attachment to it that she knew was either going to damn her for eternity or lead her to the future she saw in her heart. Still admiring the pin she half listened to what Roland was going on about.

"Brothers, sisters, blah blah blah.... end up in a grave."

"Wait! What?"

Quickly stuffing the pin into one of her belt pouches she stood up, already trying to convince herself that she had misheard him. "That stuck up tightwad was going to kill me!?"

Now Paisley was mad, pacing back and forth in the tent with hands on her hips in true turmoil. One again she found herself slamming her palm into her forehead repeating out loud now what she thought earlier. "Stupid stupid stupid!"

Lion

Roland smirked at her, her disbelief causing him to snicker, although he quickly sobered it for her sake. Because her dying probably wasn't going to be a good thing. To recruit her and suddenly just send her off to her death. Because that might be what it would seem like from a passing glance. Roland quickly moved forward to grasp her hand before she could smack her head for the third time.

"Stop doing that. You'll make yourself dizzy," Roland said, and stepped away. "Don't panic. Not yet. We'll be right behind you. And if anything goes wrong. Which they will, we'll be there to back you up. And I'm going too. It'd be good to know if the adviser actually hired you with the approval of the Duke. Or if he didn't. So I'll know if I have to kill more people than necessary."

He sighed and scratched his head. "You really couldn't have been that surprised by that though... I mean, wow. This really is your first rodeo, isn't it?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Blink

With Roland grabbing her hand Paisley half expected him to do her the favor and just knock her over the head herself. After he released his grasp on her wrist she whipped her arm down at her side, fists clenched as she was clearly agitated.

"What can I say? You may not believe it but sometimes I do things without thinking it through..." Narrowing her eyes she knew he was probably going to have some smart ass comment at that.

Taking in a deep breath she tried to calm down and think rationally for once in her life. "So I will go to the meeting then? I will walk in with the head that clearly does not belong to you and then try to find out if the Duke of Falkenrath was involved."

"Then what? Demand my pay only for them to try and kill me and pray to Ansgar that you and your men will get to me fast enough." Even just playing out the possibility of it got her worked up again.

Starting to pace back and forth once again Paisley held a hand to her chin before perking up... as if a lightbulb had just gone off in her head. Reaching down she flicked open one of her belt pouches and pulled out a small knife she carried on her just in case she needed it. Holding it up she looked quite determined as she made her next declaration.

"I will kill them all with only my knife! They will be dead before your men even try to help me" Yes that's it... she was going to take them all on with her miserable little knife.. surely that plan could never fail!

Lion

There was something about seeing the gears going off in her head that was kind of intriguing. Roland's expression was sobered and against her judgment, he kept his mouth shut, and he just watched her mull over her options. Right, it was good he didn't kill her. Because she was his key to getting closer to the Duke than he'd originally planned.

And the fact that she seemed to have a good reason not to follow through with it certainly sealed the deal. She had lost her family, and had no where else. He remembered she'd said she wanted to leave Connlaoth. And here she was fighting for a different cause.

Even with her declaration, he frowned, noticing that little knife. No, no. That wouldn't do at all. He sniffed and this time he smirked, amusement dancing in his expression. "Okay, okay, I can take the hint," he muttered blandly. "We'll get you outfitted. Properly of course. Because that thing...can barely kill an apple."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Blink

Her determined stance was broken by Roland's next statement. Ripping her attention from the knife to Roland she looked quite confused. "What?" She even went as far as tilting her head slightly to the side.

"I was being serious!" and she really was, already jumping back into her not thinking before acting state. "This knife could do some serious damage!" In fact Paisley was so sure that it could kill a man she really was considering pulling it out on the adviser and his men when the time was right. As far as she was concerned it was as good a plan as any, one that surely would never fail.

The rest of what Roland had said then registered in her mind, noting that she would be 'properly' fitted. Paisley then looked herself up and down before tucking the knife back into one of her pouches. "And what do you mean get me outfitted! There is nothing wrong with my gear or my clothes!"

Lion

The statement had been clear enough. Or so Roland had thought. Oh he had no doubt of her seriousness, but if she was intent on killing a man with that crappy little piece of metal, then she was going to find it was a lot messier than she might be counting on. For a fresh untested recruit, he'd preferred they had all the tool necessary to get the job done right the first time.

His shoulder was testament to that.

"Outfitted. Properly equipped to make sure that when you do want to drive that knife home, it's going to gouge more than just skin deep," Roland said. He looked down at the pouch where her tiny blade was housed. "It'll take some time to get the measurements right, but the crew is good. Just decide what you want to keep, and what you think you might need new. Er, newer."

They were an army on their feet after all. They needed to reuse as much material as they could.  "Come along, I'll show you. Alyssa is probably telling the rest of the camp about you. Here an hour and already you're gaining a reputation, String Bean."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

Knowing that Roland was right Paisley kicked at the ground a bit as he talked to her. In truth she knew her equiptment was only sub par compared to some of the things these Legionnaires were carrying around. She was just too proud to admit it aloud. Paisley had worked so hard to get what she had, having earned it all on her own. Her bow she crafted herself, her little gadgets acquired through sale or trade. Even her clothes were either made by her or gotten through trading animal hides.

"I will keep my bow" her statement flat as she knew it was truly the only thing she could never part with. "Anything else I will leave up to you. But if I don't like it I am not keeping or using it."

And then they were off, Roland wanting to show her what he was talking about, but not before poking at her ego a bit by telling her everyone was already talking about her.

"Wait... String Bean?"

Lion

Looking at the way she clung to the bow, Roland knew that she wouldn't part with it. That much was obvious when he snatched it from her grip back in the forest. That had been a test of will, however, as much as he wanted to simply irritate her because well...she fucking shot him in the shoulder.

"I knew that'd catch your attention. Yeah. That's your name from now on, Private Maika. String Bean. You'll need to time to put on the weight a real soldier requires," Roland explained on their way to the Quartermaster's tent. Cyrus Blige was an ornery old man, and was in charge of acquiring the equipment for the rest of camp. And he was damn good at it too.

But thankfully, they didn't have to deal with him today. "Rothsfield!" Roland called out, and a young man, stepped out from the tent, and saluted Roland with a fist across his chest.

"Yes, Lord Commander?" he said, grinning slyly at the pair. He was noticeably shorter than Roland, but had similar hair and his body was sturdy enough to lug around the equipment he dealt with on a daily basis. Stellan Rothsfield stood up straight and bowed his head to Paisley beside him. "So this is String Bean huh?" Seriously, who else could it be?

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

Rolling her eyes Paisley continued to follow Roland, not disputing the name he had just bestowed on her. As for putting on weight she knew she was a tad on the fail side, but by no means dying from it. "We'll see about that" she commented about her weight as they walked.

Then Roland yelled someones name, causing Paisley to jump a bit. "Must you yell?" she asked, clearly annoyed with how loudly he felt he had to speak. From there she watched Roland address this Rothsfield fellow carrying the same authoritative presence he did earlier with Alyssa.

It seemed even this guy held a certain respect for Roland, one that Paisley was slowly adapting to. However, when Rothsfield addressed her as String Bean Paisley glared at him.
"I'll show you string bean"

"It is Paisley!" After that she crossed her arms and walked past him into the tent, presuming that was where they were heading to anyways.

Lion

Roland reached up to rub at his sore shoulder. He'd have to soak it again soon, but over all there was no serious damage and he instead watched while Stellan reached out his hand toward Paisley.

"All right, settle down there," Stellan laughed, reaching out for her to shake hr hand until she...walked right passed him into the tent. "Wow. Rude."  He shrugged and followed her inside, Roland as well, sitting on a stool in the corner, as Stellan removed his left arm stub from his pocket and kicked out some dirt from the mat he'd covered some of the equipment with. "So I assume you're here to get outfitted then?"

There was no other reason for her to be here unless she needed something.

"Yeah," Roland nodded. "Some armor for one. Size her up for proper greaves. And a cloak if there's one to spare."

"Right then. Okay so. Ahem. Paisley, you'll have to set your bow aside, and remove your cloak, and I'll get to measuring you, yes? We wanna make sure this shit doesn't fall off when you're moving about, yeah," Stellan murmured.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

As soon as she entered the tent Paisley smirked, having felt like in some strange way she had shown this man she was a force to be reckoned with. Both Rothsfield and Roland entered the tent not long after her and Paisley turned to around. She noticed the man was missing a hand, but it wasn't something uncommon to see nowadays. The war had done so much to this country and its people and many bore scars from it. In fact the only thing she found herself wondering was the story behind it.

She would have brought it up but even Paisley had the manners not to point out such things. Instead she looked to Roland who was telling Rothsfield everything she would need. Next thing she knew Rothsfield was telling her to not only set down her bow but remove her cloak. Who the hell did he think he was?! She would have continued on with her rudeness had it not been the fact that for once she thought before opening up her big mouth again.

"Its okay Paisley. He just wants to measure you for new clothes... hes not going to take your stuff..." Her eyes narrowed as they shifted back and forth from Roland to Rothsfield. "...keep the apple killing knife though just in case." And with that Paisley nodded to herself, as if agreeing that if this man tried anything he would be missing more than just a hand.

Whether it was a gesture of good will or her simply making an attempt to show Roland a bit of trust Paisley took her bow from over her shoulder and walked over to him. "Here." She held the bow in front of him with a glare fiercer than that of a mother bear protecting its cubs. "If you break it I won't miss next time." In reality she would never have even had Roland hold it if she didn't already wholeheartedly trust him.

After that she reached up to just below her neck and unclasped her cloak and set it to the side. After that she pulled her empty quiver off her shoulder and set it next to it as well as her bag. She then walked over to Rothsfield and stood in front of him, a hand on each hip as she continued her 'bad ass' charade. "Great job Paisley! Let every single one of these ruffians know you are not one to be messed with! You may be a string bean but you are THE string bean."

Lion

Even if Stellan had any intention of trying anything, Roland was there to make sure everything went smoothly. For both of their sakes. After all Paisley did prove to be prickly from time to time. Even in response to her nickname which was now solidified here in camp.

Roland took the offered bow and set it down beside him, tilting against the tent strut, and he sat back to observe as Stellan pulled out a roll of measuring tape.  "All right, Stringy," Rothsfield laughed and stepped on the end of the roll, drawing it up against her let to draw it up to her hip with his good hand so that he could size-up her leg. "Bear with me. And when I tell you to hold the tape. Hold it."

He worked for a few minutes, drawing the roll over her shoulders, arms, back, hips, and waist. "Would you say you move better in lighter or heavier armor? And boots. Yeah, you'll have to get new ones. How you've managed to stay in those ratty things is beyond me," he chuckled, Stellan grinning at her with no small amount of amusement.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

Paisley's entire 'tough guy' attitude shattered the moment Rothsfield called her Stringy. Apparently no matter how tough she acted the name was going to stick. It could have been worse, she could be known as other much worse things.

Standing as still as she could for the man Paisley watched as he pulled out the roll of measuring tape, but immediately flushed red when the tape touched her hip. Suddenly lost for words and slightly uncomfortable Paisley merely nodded at his request, willing to do whatever it took to get this over with as quickly as possible.

In fact, during the entire process Paisley was probably the quietest she had been all day. Her response to his first question barely above a meek whisper. "Lighter... With plenty of room to move my arms and shoulders without any problems please." What was this? She was being.... nice?

But then he ruined it... referring to her boots as 'ratty'. It was as if the word alone snapped her back into reality and suddenly she was very much herself again. "No boots" Her statement was stern and to the point. "I will continue 'staying' in these 'ratty' things until they fall off my feet."

She did not move away though, not sure if he was done measuring her or not.

Lion

Having her quiet was a much more welcome relief when Stellan finally finished up the measurements, moved to a table on the side of the tent and wrote them down with a quill and ink. At least of all the hands he'd lost it wasn't the one he could write with. Learning how to do that had been hard enough as it was.

"Okay, Bean," he said, bowing his head to her. "All set here. Let me know if you need anything else. Okay?"  He just smiled at her, although her flushed red face made him smirk wryly. Geeze, what was her problem? It wasn't like he asked her to bend over. She didn't have a whole lot to showcase anyway.

"And boots...well, all right then. But don't come crawling to me when you've beaten through the soles and your bare feet are bruised and blistered."

Roland stood up and grabbed the bow Paisley entrusted unto him. He held it gingerly as if it were some holy relic. And when he gave it back, Roland made a show of kneeling and surrendering the weapon in an exaggerated show of fealty.  "Your weapon, Legionnaire!"

And Stellan threw his head back, cackling.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

Paisley nodded at Rothsfield when he told her to let him know if she needed anything else.

"As if that would ever happen" she said smiling as she walked back towards Roland who was already standing with her bow in hand. However, when she went to reach for it Roland did some odd knightly like thing and got on one knee as he handed it to her.

Hesitantly she took her bow without so much as a word. The moment it was in her hands and out of his she took a step away from him staring at him as if he had perhaps just contracted some kind of vile disease that caused you to lose your mind.

She would continue to stare at him like this until Rothsfield began laughing behind her. In a quick motion she placed her bow of her shoulder and stormed up to the man, who in fact was almost a half a foot taller than she was. Taking one of her fingers she jabbed it at his chest, her brow furrowed as she gave him an unapproving glare.

"Do you think this is funny?" She poked his chest again and then took a step back crossing her arms over her chest. "Am I just some kind of big joke to you?" It was happening... a full blown Paisley meltdown and poor Rothsfield had landed himself right in the middle of it.

"Yes let us laugh at 'the bean' all because she cares more about a weapon than life itself. A weapon mind you that I crafted from hand on my own. A weapon that I slaved away earning material for just so I could call it truly mine." Paisley then uncrossed her arms and turned towards Roland... What? Did he think Rothsfield would be the only one to get an ass chewing?

"And you! Acting as if I treat it as some kind of holy object! This bow is all I have and it is what kept me clothed and fed and alive after my parents disappeared!" Taking in an angry breath her whole body was shaking. Man did Roland know how to push her buttons and now she could add Rothsfield to the list.

Lion

Oh the ass-chewing that he just witnessed certainly set Paisley aside in a different light. Roland watched her stab her finger into Rothsfield's chest and Stellan put him his arms as of to ward off the evil spirit that she'd become. In fact the younger man did back up and while he was grinning, his cackling had sobered just enough.

Roland was about to intervene when she had some for him too. Roland grunted and his grin was gone, the amusement dissipated and he gripped her shoulder. "All right, Private Maika!" he replied firmly. "Noted. And that's quite enough. I think you'll fit right in here just the same. I apologize. I meant no disrespect by it. Isn't that right Lieutenant Rothsfield?"

Stellan was still smirking as Roland let Paisley go and he nodded. "Yes, sir," he murmured and place his hand an arm behind his back. "I like it," he said. "Got a good story to it."  He chewed on his lips, watching Paisley step away.

"All right. Maika, we'll walk about the camp. I like your spirit, that's a side of you that's rather refreshing," Roland said.

"It was nice meeting you, Private Maika," Rothsfield murmured.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

Half expecting Roland to beat her senseless for the outburst Paisley flinched when he placed his hand on her shoulder. Turns out he was just trying to ground her from the outburst she had just submitted the two to. She then looked to Rothsfield as she awaited the apology she so rightfully deserved. She was disappointed to say the least at its lack of... sympathy.

Roland's comment of her spirit kept her from beating Rothsfield with her bow, because Ansgar knows she has no arrows right now.

Still easily set off she walked over to her cloak, bag, and quiver on the floor and picked them up placing them in their correct places on her person before pausing next to Rothsfield with her head held high. "I need some more arrows... but they have to be made right. I don't need fancy wood or expensive and rare feathers... just heart put into it." She never looked him in the eye during her request, and in fact the way she said it made it seem like more of a demand.

Paisley then began walking off again, pushing the entrance of the tent open with one hand but pausing yet again before she left. This time though she glared directly at Rothsfeild, her expression dead serious. "It's not like you would understand anyways..." she said before flipping her hair with a free hand and exiting the tent.

Lion

She had guts, maybe more than Roland was counting on, to talk to Rothsfield like that. He didn't let anyone talk to him like that. Of course it also depended much on what they said. However, in the face of her humiliation, she had a point she felt needed to be made, defended herself from their ribbing laughter.

Her bow in particular was clearly something she was attached to. And for anyone that saw her shoot, it was clear that it was more than simply a tool. It really was a part of her that did the deed. And she was a natural. So no, Roland would not fault her for defending that part of herself she felt most threatened.

Stellan just watched her leave and at her words, his smile faded. Roland sighed and shook his head, following right after her.

"Pretty ballsy, I'll give you that. Few people can talk to Rothsfield like that without getting punched in the face. But you're all right Paisley," he sighed and nodded to her. "Tonight, you'll have to be inducted. My tent is that one over there, just beside that old chapel. At midnight, I will welcome you formally to the Red Legion. So, if you're having second thoughts, you have until tonight to decide to change your mind."  He didn't think that she would, but he hoped it was best to give her that option.

"It will be a ceremony, then we'll have to organize how we approach that little thing we spoke of regarding your friend the adviser," Roland said and reached out his hand to her to shake. "Does that sound good to you?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

With eyes wide Paisley had just now registered the possibility of being punched in the face. These men and women were not simple town folk like she was used to, they were soldiers... killers... Legionnaires. "Well I am glad then that he didn't knock me flat." Raising a hand to the back of her head she gave a bit of an apologetic smile towards Roland. "If he did I probably deserved it."

Now that Paisley had calmed down she was actually beginning to feel kind of bad for jumping to conclusions like that. They were just having fun and there she was acting like a rabid dog. "He probably hates me now anyways..."

Then Roland jumped into explaining to her that she was to meet at his tent come midnight. "Yes, Sir" she said saluting him, playfully mocking what Rothsfield had done earlier when Roland gave him an order.

After that Paisley and Roland parted ways and she took a bit to explore the camp. She had even managed to find someone to tell her where she would be sleeping and to her utter disappointment she was pointed towards a tent with almost a dozen other Legionnaire's. After stepping inside she practically cringed at the mats on the floor. "I guess I've slept on worse" she noted before going over to one of the mats and rolling it out.

There was still a few hours of daylight left but if Roland wanted to initiate her at midnight and then after organize the ordeal with the Adviser she needed some rest. Perhaps it would be nice to get a few hours of sleep out of the rain. She could barely even remember the last time she was even able to sleep peacefully, having been stationed outside this camp waiting for Roland to come out for a few days.

Setting her belongings at the head of her mat Paisley curled up on, holding her bow in her hands like a child snuggling a stuffed animal as she slept.

When her eyes fluttered back open she could only assume it was near midnight by the stillness of the camp. Rolling the mat back up she gathered her things and stepped out of the tent, adjusting her hair and clothes before making her way towards Roland's tent beside the chapel.

It was amazing what even a few hours of sleep could do for the soul. Already Paisley felt a bit refreshed and surprisingly in a better mood. In fact, she was sure that not even Rothsfield could set her off right now. So as she approached the tent she was anything but in a sour mood and ready to get this all over with.

Lion

She wasn't the only one that had gotten some rest, and after checking his shoulder once again, wrapping it, Roland was dressed in his armor and cloak and the long sword Anguish resting at his side. The waning hour of midnight fell upon the camp without incident - thankfully. The Red Legion would keep the desecrated village safe enough.

"You're awake, that's good," Alyssa said as she waited for Paisley outside of the tent and opened the flap for her to enter Roland's tent. He was inside and writing something down, sealing the note with a drop of candlewax and pressing a coin down into the wax to flatten it.

"Good evening, Private Maika," Roland got up, pushing the cloak away from the chair. "It's good to see you haven't changed your mind. Are you ready to make it official??"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn