Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

[Closed!] Recruitment at the Black Lantern

Started by NyuBomber, June 13, 2012, 04:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NyuBomber

Black Lantern Square was one of a few popular meeting points that dotted the city of Suna, each one named after the signature landmark at its heart. For Black Lantern Square in particular, it was named after its enigmatic obsidian obelisk. It can be likened to a series of chicken cages stacked on top of each other, each segment occupied by a restless spirit whose cage rattling provided ample ambient lighting for the entire square at all hours. Some suspected the structure was actually an elaborate tombstone, but, on the whole, no one paid it much mind.

They had other things to worry about, of course. Black Lantern Square was a hub bub of miscellaneous activity, a place where people went when they needed space to hawk minor wares or sell small dishes.

Or sit around while your daughter stood about and supported a fancily-painted wooden sign that read "Self-Starting Explorers Wanted; Must Desire Travel; Inquire Within."

"Can we switch places yet?" The teen girl speaks in a whisper, as if to not seem insubordinate.

"No," says the older gentleman, his back against the obelisk and a writing brush being taken to parchment in his lap.

The girl sighs, scratching at her hair under the light blue creme headwrap she wore, a sure sign that she'd been standing out in this humid evening air for too long. With a kick, she causes the sign to flip twice over, so that she was holding it underhanded now.

"Somebody? Anybody? It's for a research project."

XIII

The crowded streets of the square bothered Tenebrae little, as people seemed to be avoiding him whenever possible, due to his rather ludicrous appearance. Over a normal set of trousers and shirt, the humanoid gel wore layer after layer of clothing, trying to hide his true nature. An oversized coat, a scarf, and a large floppy hat, boots and gloves, a fake beard and mining goggles all served to hide his translucent skin, as well as make everyone around him uncomfortable. He awkwardly walked the square, marveling at the obelisk and its almost alluring light. He stopped to watch the glow for a moment.

It was here that he heard a word that he recognized, and his head shot around to discern its location. Research! His eyes lit up behind the goggles that covered them, and he would have smiled had he a mouth. Research meant learning, and learning was always something that Tenebrae was ready for. He saw that a girl near the obelisk seemed to be the source of the noise.

Moving his way over to the girl who said the word, Tenebrae noticed that she was holding a sign. Yes, that's what those things were called. Signs. But he could not read the symbols on them, and this frustrated him slightly. Looking at the girl, he adjusted his goggles so that his skin didn't show through and gave a small, awkward wave.

Hello! Miss. Your sign says something. What? I can not read your sign. However. I hear you say research. Just now. I enjoy research greatly much.

The words would invade the girl's mind directly, rather than assail her ears as a normal person's speech would, leaving only her to actually hear him. While speaking, the gel simply continued to wave, looking very much like an idiot.

NyuBomber

There was something...off-putting about the man. Engaging him would probably be a bad idea. Kiew turned to her dad, who gave her a stern look that commanded 'Go on!' Kiew turned back to the man with a smile and a short bow.

"I also enjoy research. My name is Kiew Gui-La, and I am seeking partners for an expedition into a recently discovered ruin on the isle of Inno. May i ask your name and what talents you can offer?"

Van

Sophia Wong was home again. Fade, with Sophia's face, smiled at the girl's elation at her return to familiar grounds, and her own at the sheer beauty of the sight. If she'd never seen it once before in Sophia's memories, Fade might have just... stared all day at the black obelisk. But they weren't here for kicks - they were here to help Sophia.

That meant seeking out the girl's mentor. The name had corroded - it was one of many things that had done so. Things came back to the woman, and Fade happily chased every memory that Sophia yearned after, but this was one encounter she was having second thoughts about. For starters, Sensei knew Sophia like a daughter. If anyone would see Fade inside, it would be that man, and he was something shy of liberal.

But that was her promise.

Fade steeled herself, and climbed the steps. The sight that met her eyes surprised her though. A market wasn't an abisial thing - currency in her culture, was an alien thing, and the culture shock of an active market complete with the hawking of wares, of sale sale sale(!), and things for her young man was almost too much for the outsider looking in to take. She wandered... in a sort of daze, looking about as sick as she felt. Even if Fade was zoning out, some part of Sophia was wide awake, looking around, and mentally considering how much coin she had in her bag.

A deal was a deal, and cheap quills and ink and paper was not to be sneezed at. Fade was all too glad to let Sophia take over the commerce. For her part, Fade was so far at sea that she couldn't see the shore, but the human knew what to do - little copper and silver discs were exchanged for feather pens, for nice ink, for paper, and the abisial could only watch in wonder. How could discs of metal be worth that much? How could anyone tell? She had to let Sophia buy some food before she really understood. The food was hot and gotten for the asking - and it was good, something someone had spent a long time making, if she was any judge.

As she stood aside some distance from the crowd, Fade marveled as the last of the couscous was savored. By no means was the outsider slow on the uptake - currency made sense. Sophia's world was... sophisticated. It would not have worked as well as it clearly has without people specializing in certain things. That meant common course was necessary - an agreement all people had that a certain thing that was not otherwise useful was useful could be worth anything else, in the right ammount, going one way or another. Marvelous.

The bowl made its way back to the merchant, and she politely bowed and thanked the woman for the delicious meal, then set off again with new eyes, with new understanding of the ways of humanity. It was doing Sophia a world of good - familiar sights jogged her memories, fragrances reminded her of old things, and faces she knew smiled at her, but her feet found themselves moving ever towards the Black Lantern.

The sign is what caught their eyes, and the pitch drew Sophia like a fly to jam. Who was Fade to deny the girl? They had a deal, so in they went, into the unknown. The cream blue-silver haired thanati, wearing her modest dress and messenger bag, went in and approached the table and the father-daughter team. She took a spot behind the strange man and his outlandish behavior, and, crossing her hands in her lap, waited for her turn to have a say.

XIII

My name. Tenebrae. I am quite capable. With spoken. Languages. And able to fit where most can not. I do not. Require normal sustenance. I travel much. And learned as. Generalist factotum. Trade Jack. You might say. Please forgive. Odd speech. I am not. Very familiar. With human. That is. Thanati. Culture.

Not even seeming to take notice that his slip up about human culture might get suspicions raised about him, Tenebrae looked backward at the woman who had come to stand behind him and gave a gentle wave, forgetting for a second that humans had joints and twisting his arm around grotesquely as he did so. He directed his next psychic message to this newcomer,

Hello! Miss. You come here. For research. Yes? This girl. Wants researchers.[/i]

The excitement in his psychic voice changed in pitch, and the gel began to unknowingly grow slightly taller. To accommodate for this, he hunched his shoulders and moved out of the way, allowing the woman behind him to come into view of the girl holding the sign.

NyuBomber

"Um...," Kiew muttered, visibly confused and uncomfortable.

The older gentleman, not so much. "You're hired," he declared with a smile. "Come get your papers, read them over, meet at the docks as instructed in two days." He held out a rolled-up bundle of parchment.

Kiew quickly turned her attention to the new arrival with a bow. "So, you're...hopefully normal. My name is Kiew Gui-La, and I am seeking partners for an expedition into a recently discovered ruin on the isle of Inno. May i ask your name and what talents you can offer?"

Van

Sophia looked up at Tenebrae with a blank little expression as her mind reeled as he... spoke into her thoughts. But, her response came naturally as she bowed to him in respect, giving him a sweet, shy little smile. To the look of her, she was hardly put off by his unusual behavior and mannerisms - after all, it'd be hypocritical of her, and even if Fade didn't know that word, the meaning was cleanly understood. As the young woman moved past him, she placed her hand on his arm to guide him, careful not to bump into him.

Fade's exotelepathy (communicating mind to mind outside the body or other bonds) wasn't as good as the Gel race - not by a long shot, and required her to have touch contact to respond. In that moment or two of her hand on his arm though, Fade reached out and touched his mind.

Research is very good! Knowledge is the most valuable gem - something you can give and have at the same time...

Fade smiled - he'd know what she was, or at least that she wasn't anything like what eyes saw. Through a series of images and emotions - much more natural to the Abisial people - she made clear that she no more wanted to discuss what she was in public domain than Tenebrae wanted to rip off his clothes and do a wiggledance in public view. It just wouldn't be becoming, and mutual discretion and understanding were in order - and that the promise of a later explanation at length was definitely a prospect. He was as interesting to her as all of this was to him. Perhaps even friendship was a possibility! Surely answers later at depth were better than shallow arguments and trouble now.

But then, her hand broke contact with his arm - it had taken a second - Telepathy was much more efficient than words, and looked no stranger than one person moving past another.

Sophia bowed to the father daughter team, and smiled at them as well, eyes twinkling at them, like she had bubbles in her heart or was thinking about a joke. The hopefully normal comment passed without comment save that friendly smile and shy gaze.

"My name is Sophia Wong, and I am a scholar of the temple. My spheres of study rest in creatures and the occult. Foreign and inhuman cultures are a fascinating study as well and have occupied much of my time, and Flora and Fauna of the deep places of the world are another interest of mine. I can... defend myself, but I am not trained in magic." Sophia said.

Fade was impressed - all that had come out on its own from the girl. It was marvelous how much she was herself in some aspects, yet still so... broken and incomplete in others. Sophia's mental reply came all at once - like a wet book with pages torn and out of order. Fade had to agree.

zozee9

Alycia had been wandering around the square for hours, questioning people about the coast that ran nearby. Although necromancers had always given her the chills, they were said to be quite knowledgable. She was hoping that someone would know something new about mermaids. However, she was out of luck. Just as she was about to return to her shabby inn room, she overheard someone talking.

Sophia Wong. Alycia had never heard that name before. But a scholar? Surely a scholar would know something of mermaids that others did not.

Walking up to the girl, Alycia said, "Sophia Wong? How much do you know about mermaids? Ahhh... sorry, that must have been a bit random. My name is Alycia. I've been searching for a certain group of mermaids for quite some time now, but no one seems to know a thing. As a scholar, I thought you may be able to help me. Please tell me you know about the whereabouts of certain mermaid tribes? Maybe?"

After hours of questioning and questioning on end, Alycia didn't care about the begging tone in her voice. All she cared about was finally getting an answer.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

NyuBomber

Kiew's eyes lit up. Well-spoken, smart, normal.

"I myself am learning of spirits and their world, so it will be good to have someone on who knows information on....mermaids?"

It was too good to be true. They just couldn't be normal. Kiew's pleasant visage went sour as Sophia was battered with obsessive merfolk questions.

zozee9

Alycia was so busy trying to get answers from her thousands of questions that she didn't realize anyone else was there. But as a voice cut her off, she finally looked around as her ocean blue eyes widened. It seemed she had an audience.

Okay, audience was too big of a word. There were a total of three other people—a suspicious looking guy with lots of extraneous clothes on and a man and girl... they looked like they were related. Probably father and daughter, Alycia figured. She sheepishly put her head down and pulled the green hood to her cape over her head, trying to hide her embarrassment.

After a second or two, Alycia finally processed what the daughter (?) said. Her head snapped up, causing the hood to fall down again (which she quickly fixed), Alycia said, "It will be good to have someone?!"

Looking at the sign the girl was holding, she realized she must have barged in on a gathering of sorts. Babbling, Alycia added, "Oh no, I wasn't planning on joining this adventure! Wait... what is it? No, no, no. I can't get distracted." But she couldn't help but stare at that sign, wondering what mystery it was inviting her on.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

XIII

Ah![/i]

Tenebrae exclaimed at the momentary psychic link that she shared with the woman he had stood aside for. He barely noticed the other girl blathering on about mermaids as his eyes searched through the goggles at the woman who had brushed against him. He struggled to string his sentences together, trying to emulate the easy flow of speech that he heard around him.

You are... like me... then. Psychic, they have called me. It is pleasure to meet you. I am named Tenebrae.[/i]

He felt a bit embarrassed about his irregular speech patterns, and waved apologetically to Sophia after introducing himself. He felt that she already sensed what he was, and so he didn't worry that much about revealing himself to her.

Apologies are mine. Not long I have been around humans. Your ways of communicate, they are peculiar to me. Will take me long to adjust.[/i]

NyuBomber

Somewhere in the back of hr mind, Kiew had wrestled her better judgement down, tied it up, and threw it in a closet. she allowed her politeness to retake the proceedings.

"I am happy you asked! My name is Kiew Gui-La, and I am gathering adventurers for a research expedition to the isle of Inno. Specifically, we will be exploring a set of ruins that have recently been discovered, and my school is interested in any potential finds inside it. So, they made it an optional project for ambitious students." Kiew smiled widely at that last bit.

"There...may be merfolk around Inno? Or perhaps something in the ruins? I am not sure, and can make no guarantees. At any rate, I need to know what you would bring to the group if hired."

Van

Sophia looked up and around as the conversation buzzed around her, eyes fixing on Tenebrae again as he continued to speak into her mind. The feeling wasn't so strange - almost pleasant, really. Though he couldn't speak as clearly as she did with mental words, he was speaking in a language far more native than Thanati - telepathy. Her mind grasped at meaning and ignored the words themselves, and he was clear as crystal - They had this method of communication in common, he was pleased to meet her, and his name was Tenebrae. They both smiled at him - he was actually quite polite and friendly, in a lost puppy kind of way, and Fade, if not Sophia as well, liked him already.

Other than that, she gave little indication that she'd even heard his voice amidst the din of the Kiew-Alycia brain trust. A desperate homesick mermaid, somebody who clearly had a strong distaste for diversity yet looked completely different from everyone else in the area, and a goo-man in a really bad human disguise who might as well wave a sign that said 'HIYA! IYAM AN AY-LEE-UN! HUG ME!'. Oh yes... this was fate. More than one plucky adventure story started like this.

The thought caught Fade off guard - that was pure Sophia. In no circumstance would Fade have looked at things quite like... that. But she had to agree - Fade felt like the equivalent of an ubersheltered catholic schoolgirl (even if she had no idea what 'uber' meant, or what a catholic schoolgirl was), and this was the most interesting group of people she could think of.

That just left Alycia - she wanted help, right? Information? Well that was Sophia's forte, her nom de plume, as it were. It was time to prove herself to this student. She turned to Alycia and bowed slightly to the girl.

"Yes - it is no trouble." she began, and smiled at her shyly, folding her hands again in her sleeves. "I have studied the societies of merfolk and cecaelia in this region - I have several books on the subject and some... approximate locations - I am certain that if we both went on this journey to Inno, we would have time to discuss this at length." She smiled at her hopefully - that came from Fade in overlap with the human Sophia - recalling and getting into her original calling would help Sophia's memory heal, and maybe Fade would learn a thing or two in the process! Win-win, even if it meant looking at more of those books and writing.

zozee9

Alycia was so confused.

"Wait... if your school is interested in potential finds in the ruins, why aren't they going? I mean, is it dangerous? Or..." She was about to ask whether or not the story was true, but then caught herself. Why would this person lie? She seemed nice enough. Either way, any chance of finding mermaids meant she'd go through a little danger. She ignored the last question, wanting to go back to it later.

Turning to Sophia, Alycia bowed in thanks. "Sorry I just barged up to you like that. I've been searching for my family for over a year now, and have not seen them in over ten years. I'm getting a bit desperate—I let my wants get over my politeness. And yet you still agree to help me... you truly are selfless. Thank you."

Alycia quickly glanced over at the odd looking man, wondering why he was so quiet. Then she caught herself; she was judging him just because he looked suspicious. After all, the father (?) wasn't talking either and she didn't sense anything strange about that. Finally, she turned back to Kiew.

"As for what I can do... well, let's just say I'm good at spying and creating diversions. And confusing people. Ah... and I'm pretty fast in water. I don't really know my geography too well, but is Inno by water? Because if we reach some troubles, I can sometimes get the ocean creatures to help me. Not always though. Don't count on it. Sorry..." This time, Alycia bowed towards Kiew for bringing up something that might have been totally pointless. "If you'll let me, I'll go."

Not only was this a good chance for Alycia to search more for her family, it was also an adventure. With probable danger. And odd, but nice, people. It was perfect.

XIII

Tenebrae looked at the girl who had arrived asking about merfolk, his eyes pushing to the outer edge of his form so that he could get a less obstructed view of her, though he made sure to keep them behind his goggles. Touching his gloved hand to his beard as he had seen an older gentleman do earlier, he nodded slightly before gently prodding into the girl's mind.

Inno is an island, yes. Water travel assured. I am... not very aware of merfolk. I would like though to... help you. Is not proper be without a family for so long. I am called Tenebrae.[/i]

zozee9

Woah, Alycia thought. Did that guy just talk to me through his mind?! Thoroughly creeped out, Alycia moved away from him and hid behind Sophia—who she now fully trusted. Unlike the old man, she didn't talk through her mind. Unlike Kiew, she didn't ask random personal questions. Unlike the other man... well, he was just too quiet for Alycia. Sophia was nice, not a necromancer, and promised to help her. Alycia decided that Sophia would be her first best female friend. With a cautious smile towards the odd suspicious old man, Alycia pressed the hood as close as she could to her face, trying to hide herself. Sadly, her red hair was way too bright to miss so she was quite unsuccessful.

NyuBomber

Maybe she wasn't so bad, after all. Nobody else had the foresight to question what was going on.

"The ruins may be recently unearthed, but we won't be the first to undertake an in-depth investigation of them. There are a few scholars on-site already, including representatives of my school. But, this expedition will be unique, especially since I'm the only one who signed up." Kiew beamed.

"There haven't been any reports of exceptional danger from the Inno ruins. As for yourself, there are sections of the ruins which are underwater, so your speed may very well be of great use."

"You're hired," says the older man. He holds up a packet of forms for her to take, with the same instructions as Tenebrae to meet at  the docks in two days.

zozee9

Still behind Sophia, Alycia slowly reached towards the forms. She looked at them, glanced up shyly, looked back at them, then said, "I don't know how to read." Hiding her shame, Alycia backed even more behind Sophia, clutching the papers.

NyuBomber

The man raised an eyebrow, then sighed in the manner of someone remembering the facts of life for those of lower caste. He waved his hand dismissively in Kiew's direction and stroke his beard, lost in thought.

Kiew smiled softly at Alycia. "I know plenty of good people who cannot read, it is no problem. May I see the forms please?" Assuming Alycia handed them to Kiew, she tore off the front page, whipped out a ready-made brush and inkwell,  and laid down her sign. using the piece of wood as a backboard, Kiew drew a rough map that relayed the position of Black Lantern square to the pier where the group would take off.

"The important thing is that you meet our group at Hanzo Khan Pier in two days time, in the morning. She handed the parchments back to Alycia.

"Scholar of the occult, you are also hired," the man shouted. "I assume you can read." He holds out another packet.

Van

Sophia rose a hand to her ear protectively as the father figure shouted at her, discovering rather suddenly that while her ears were human shaped, they were still sensitive - more sensitive, anyway, and she was very much in favour of quiet before adducting to Fade to begin with. She nodded though, accepting the packet.

"Yes, I will help Alicia fill out the forms." she said quietly, still managing to be heard just fine over the din of people all around them and the throbbing of her own ears. With little else in the way of excuse, and a respectful little bow to the father-daughter scholarly team, Sophia took Alicia's arm and led her away down the table a bit. The moment she gripped the mermaid, she had to take care to keep her mind free of any loud surface thoughts as she did, but even so, managed to communicate a small flash of irritation and discomfort at the man's loud voice directly into the mermaid's mind - not words but emotions in pure form, far more natural than words.