Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

[Closed!] Recruitment at the Black Lantern

Started by NyuBomber, June 13, 2012, 04:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zozee9

Sophia is going to help me! Alycia thought. Because best friends help each other!

Alycia had a huge grin on her face until Sophia grabbed her arm. A feeling Alycia knew just too well passed over.

Irritation.

Alycia understood that the irritation wasn't her own... and so she realized it must be Sophia's. After she was freed a year ago, Alycia decided that she would purify her mind. Get rid of all the hatred. Get rid of all the sadness. Get rid of all the irritation. The only thing they did was bring back bad memories. But now that the feeling was inside of her, the bad memories came back.

Alycia knew she wasn't a slave anymore. She knew she no longer had to suffer such hardship. She knew she didn't have to hold in her feelings... So she didn't. Without even realizing it, tears starting streaming down Alycia's face.

They were the tears she was never able to shed when she was a slave, unless she wanted to get in trouble. But after a few seconds, Alycia's tears of sadness became tears of happiness. Alycia no longer was trapped, she was able to travel the world to fulfill her dream. She had already made two best friends, and the second one actually seemed to like her right away... No, Alycia was no longer crying tears of sadness, she was crying tears of happiness.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

NyuBomber

Kiew turned to her father with a look of abject "Why did you make her cry?!" look of horror on her face. He reciprocated with a shrug.

Kiew placed her sign down and her hand on Alycia's shoulder. "I'm sorry about my father's comments. Are you okay?"

zozee9

Surprised by the hand on her shoulder, Alycia squealed (a squeal that sounds like a dolphin's... due to her mermaid background). She wiped the tears off her face, smiled, and said, "I'm perfectly fine. I'm just so happy. Thank you."

She smiled once more at Kiew and thought of the kindness Kiew had displayed before catching up with Sophia.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

XIII

Tenebrae held his packet limply in his gloves, staring at it with shoulders bent and his face weirdly close to the papers. Looking around, he felt a sudden surge of discomfort as he realized that he still couldn't read this language. Looking to Sophia, he mentally touched the psychic woman again.

Understand this language. I do not. If you will allow. I might borrow this knowledge from you? It will suffice. A simple touch.[/i]

Then he turned his words to Kiew, nodding and holding up the packet.

Get these back to you. I will. We meet at the pier in two days? Yes? I look forward to it.[/i]

Ookakiba

His eyes wandered around while he casually walked through the village. It was strange, he had left home to learn more about the world and how to improve his alchemy and now Adelaide managed to find himself on a strange island. At least the people here were polite to him, though some gave him strange glances throughout the day. Despite his efforts to find a way back home, it was tough to do without a source of income. "Damn, I knew I should have stayed back in Essryn." The young man thought to himself as he approached a square, the sound of a call for research perked his ears. As he approached the location of the voice, he glanced at the crowd of people already located there.

Adelaide stood quietly, slightly outside of the group range, as he listened to the conversations that were being had. Although he came in at the latter part of it, from what he grasped it was something about spirits, mermaids, and something about a research expedition on some isle. Although he was sure it was all un-related to the research expedition, but it did peak his interest. Perhaps this would be his ticket to a way back home and perhaps some source of income?

"Excuse me, I couldn't help but overhear your conversations, but I heard that you were looking for people to participate in a research expedition. I might not know much about what you're researching, but I am an alchemist and a healer."

The young alchemist would finish his statement with a friendly smile as he waited for a response.

Van

Sophia froze when she saw Alycia's reaction and immediately knew what happened - it was an odd sensation, but Alycia resonated with her in a brief moment when they touched - the kind of telepathy she had was two-way, after all, and she'd been so incautious as to link with the girl without having been prepared for it. Her initial reaction proved temporary - it polarized rapidly from despair to joy, and Sophia... relaxed, giving a sigh.

Then, the other outsider touched her mind, initiating contact with her once more. After a half-second of surprise, Fade composed herself as Sophia began unfastening both her and Alycia's packets as she led their body to the table with the mermaid in tow.

That would be fine. You've already said that you do not know this language to the others, and I will be teaching Alycia to read. Maybe to hold up your end of the disguise, you should join us?

NyuBomber

Kiew's skin crawled as Tenebrae talked inside her head again. Not even the spirits she interacted with did that; they usually just growled and wandered off when their job was done, if they even acknowledged her at all. She did not like it, and meekly waved back to him.

The next person to show interest would be the last, Kiew thought to herself.

When the new, tall, dark, foreign-looking stranger greeted her, Kiew met him with a bow and a simple question.

"Can you read?"

zozee9

Alycia glanced back as she heard a new voice. The boy was tall, probably around six feet, and cute. Totally her type. He had hazle eyes and short black hair. But more than his eyes and hair, she liked the scar on his neck. Mysteries had always been Alycia's thing, and boys with mysteries were just plain attractive. Sitting down, she watched him with curiosity.

Ookakiba

Adelaide glanced at the girl who had just recently bowed at him with confusion. Either his hearing had gone completely to hell or the girl had just asked him if he could read. A faint chuckle would escape his lips while he slid his hands into the pockets of his trousers.

"You know, asking somebody if they could read isn't really the most polite way of introducing yourself to strangers. Though, to answer it, yes I can read and quite well."

A faint smile would appear on the alchemist's face after he spoke defensively, his eyes glanced warmly towards the girl. Despite the defensive tone of his voice, he kept a friendly appearance, not wanting to cause any trouble between the two.

"I'd like to hear more about this research project though, if it wouldn't be too much of a bother."

NyuBomber

Of course, where were her manners? Now was not to the moment to become like her father. There would be time for that later.

"My deepest apologies, sir" she said while bowing once more. "My name is Kiew Gui-La. This expedition is to the island of Inno, where we will be aiding in research efforts by my school in studying a recently discovered set of ruins. Specifically, we will be the first major incursion inside them."

"Aside from the standard wildlife, there are no reported dangers, and none expected. We may be making multiple trips, and are especially tasked to carefully retrieve items of interest. The pay is competitive."

Kiew looked more drained than anything else, but she did let loose a tired smile.

zozee9

Looking at Kiew, Alycia said "I have a question! When you say the pay is competitive, do you mean among different groups or among us?"

Then she looked back that the man and asked two things. "What is your name? And how did you get that scar?" Even though she knew the rudeness of the question, it was bugging her. She just had to know the answer. But... it was rude. So she stood back up, walked towards the man, bowed, and said, "Sorry, that was quite disrespectful of me. I didn't even introduce myself before asking you your name. I'm Alycia. 16. Single. And I know scars can carry burdens. You don't have to tell me if you don't want to."

She really hoped he wanted to.

NyuBomber

"That is to say...competitive, as in the salary you'd receive for working for us would be comparable to most salaries for other expedition groups. Though, we're still the only one going to this site on...Inno..."

Kiew doubted that the red-headed foreigner was listening to the second half of the explanation after she locked eyes on the man. Kiew saw this puppy-like adoration from her peers many times before.

This would be a fun trip. As fun as stepping on thorns.

Ookakiba

Adelaide listened carefully as the girl explained some parts of the trip. Although he was an alchemist, he enjoyed  research, especially if there was a chance of him being able to discover ways to improve his own alchemy. Despite the fact that there were no reported incidents of danger, aside from wildlife, there was still always a chance that they would run into some complications.

"I see, it sounds quite interesting. Granted, if we're the only ones exploring it at the moment, still sounds like there'd be danger. At least you guys have a healer on board."

The young alchemist chuckled as he made a reference to himself. His focus would turn towards another female who after asking Kiew a question, had turned her focus to him and the scar on his neck. He had honestly forgotten he had the scar there until a random stranger asked him about the mark. He shook his head in response to the question, still keeping the warm smile.

"I don't believe this is the proper time to discuss my own personal background. I will however apologize for not introduce myself. My name is Adelaide Winfren, but you may call me Adelaide. We can talk more in a second, for now, let us finish the task at hand." Adelaide would pause for a second, before he faced Kiew once more. "Well, you have my full interest Kiew. Just tell me what I have to do before we depart."

NyuBomber

"Daughter." The older man tossed a packet to Kiew, which she barely had time to turn to catch. "All you need to do is read that, foreigner. Or don't, the choice is up to you. Either way, come to Hanzo Khan pier in two days time, prepared to leave."

"All of you should know, however, that your voluntary joining in this expedition will be seen as a legally binding waiver of any responsibility for your well-being on the part of the school or myself, to the extent that is reasonable. Food and bandages will be provided; weapons to protect from rampaging boars and the cure to deadly poison will not." He puts down his writing brush and clasps his hands together in his lap. "Any further questions?"

Kiew exhales in exasperation and hands the papers to Adelaide.

zozee9

Upset that she got no answer (although she didn't expect one), Alycia silently walked back to Sophia. At least one person would answer her questions even if she was rude.

No... it isn't his fault, Alycia thought. I wouldn't have answered if someone suddenly asked me about my slave life. Or would I have? If it was him... maybe.

Still a little upset, Alycia sat down and stared at the papers, trying to decipher the strange marks on them. Maybe Sophia could teach her how to read after the adventure to the ruins was over.

Ookakiba

"I see. Then expect to see me there."

Adelaide responded while he began to skim through the packet. It was quite lengthy, though it did possess a lot of valuable information. This trip seemed like it would be quite amusing, though one should always be prepared. It would be a grave miscalculation if he didn't bring along some medical supplies. The packet would soon find itself in between his armpit, held carefully so it didn't fall. From his pocket, the alchemist pulled out a small case and retrieved a small sheet of paper.

"If you don't mind, I have a small list of the basic medical supplies and herbs that would greatly help out if we had them during this trip. Although there are no dangers aside from wildlife, you can never be to careful. Whatever the monetary cost, you can reduce it from my salary I suppose."

Adelaide would reach out his hand to give the paper to the man who had just spoken to him. Whether or not the man would take it, Adelaide would then make his way towards Alycia.

"You seem a bit lost Alycia. Either you're not able to read or that is just one confusing piece of paper. Maybe I can help you a bit?"

zozee9

Alycia was no longer upset. Adelaide just offered to help her! But Sophia already was going to help her... looking back and forth between Sophia and Adelaide, Alycia's head was in a mess. Should she have her best friend or the super cute guy help her?

Looking up at Adelaide, Alycia finally asked, "Is it possible for both you and Sophia to help me? I feel like I'll need all the help I can get..."

Although she did feel that way, she asked mainly because she just couldn't decide. Lost and embarrassed, Alycia put her head down and once again tried hiding her face with her hood. Once again, her hair stood out too much to be successful.

NyuBomber

"A noble gesture...Mr. Winfren. You may call me Po Shan." The elder Gui-La takes the list and looks it over. "Very well. Docked pay in exchange for goods you feel necessary is a fair exchange. I'll shall waive the finder's fee, as a good will token."

He bows his head slightly. "Kiew, go with them. You should get to know Mr. Winfren and the people you'll be voyaging with."

Kiew was in the middle of heavily scratching her scalp through her headwrap, but she could not stop the look of shocked indignation from crossing. She opened her mouth to say something, but thought better of it.

"Very well, Elder 'Po Po.'"

With a grin, Kiew shuffled nearer to the group of everyone else, knowing that Po Shan would not be able to reprimand her for the pet name. "So, where are we headed?"

Ookakiba

Adelaide gave the young girl a chuckle as he looked down towards Alycia as she tried to hid her head. It was clearly obvious that the girl was slightly embarrassed, though Adelaide couldn't blame her. Though based on her question, it seemed the girl was quite confused at who to help her, since it seemed some other person had already asked.

"Whatever you want Alycia. After all, the point is to get you to learn right? Having more than one person teach you isn't a bad thing. So sure, it is possible."

He would cast a smile at the young girl, before he gave a glance at the packet that was in his hands. He was going to have to give this a review before they went off, though he could always do that while teaching her to read.

"That's a good question. Well, since we have time to kill, we could always start teaching Alycia how to read. Though, where are we headed? Perhaps we could find some place to sit and talk. I don't know of any around here, unfortunately."

NyuBomber

"Hm...I know a spot near here.  Follow me. If we hurry, we won't miss the kalamari stand."

Kiew picked up her scroll pack and began walking northward, glancing behind to make sure the others were following.