Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Painted Veil

Started by Yeti, August 19, 2019, 10:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yeti

THE PAINTED VEIL

First, a word.

The Invitation
Greetings mortally wounded travelers, decaying sopranos, bedridden beasts and, of course, those who hearken from the other side. I have a proposition for you.

Have you ever wished to be something more? Perhaps you find yourself envious of the spotlight those among the living receive. Perhaps you are rolling around in your grave this very minute, wondering why you can't enjoy the passions of your sprightly life now that you are six feet under... Maybe you're at the edge of life's end and wonder what to make of your body once the soul crosses into the next realm. Or maybe you've existed since the universe began, yet barely made a footnote since.

Today's entertainment is fleeting compared to the epics of our youth. Each generation forgets more and more where the origins of their plays and orchestrations come from. If I am sounding too fancy here let me make my stance crystal clear: Their ideas are tired and drab. I have risen from death and I can tell you, the hellfires of the infernal spark more creativity and inspiration within my soul than the witless machinations coming from today's "prodigious" playwrights!

So I offer an extension of my power to you, the undead masses of Le'raana. Join me in resurrection of the greatest show on earth, left forgotten in history. Our theater will open to adoring crowds and standing ovations, spreading our troupes across the realm until we conquer it entirely in the ultimate display of comedy and tragedy! Audition today and for once, let us dead men tell our tales!

Join The Painted Veil.
Our talents are everlasting.
Sincerely,
- The Madame Verdelet.
[close]

The Painted Veil is the premiere acting guild to be in, provided you're dead. Hosting ghouls, skeletons, zombies and others hailing from the underdark, it is an old and many-storied travelling theater group. Its location has swapped around many times, and its members have ranged from very few to hundreds, and The Madame Verdelet is always looking for not-so-fresh talent. If you're rotten yet risen, and can hold a tune or recite ancient script, you're right to be here.

The Madame Verdelet states the objective of the guild to be an ever-growing place for undead to renew their self-confidence by being part of something greater. However, the acting guild has run into shady businesses on the side. Rumors that it may even be a cult, but Verdelet keeps that all hush-hush. She believes the Painted Veil to be her own project. If a critic suddenly dies or a rival soon disappears off the face of the earth... it's all just showbusiness.

Currently, the Painted Veil enjoys a 300 year performing license in the Greater Magnolia auditorium, stationed in La'marri. Occasionally, auditions are held in smaller stages around the globe. Smaller tours are held annually, allowing The Painted Veil to perform in numerous locations while still holding larger-scale productions in La'marri.

The Greater Magnolia auditorium is a highly decorated theater from La'marri's antiquity. However, the place has slowly fallen into decay, which made it almost destiny for a lich-run business to establish itself there. Its building is ornate, a huge dark cathedral structure, decorated by ivy and black and white magnolias in its courtyard, hence the name. A smaller, plainer, coffin-shaped building was constructed next to it to hold The Painted Veil's actors who lacked their own place to stay.

A large sign on the gate usually indicates what performance is being held at the time. The front gate harbors twin ticket booths, usually manned by skeletons who also serve as the first line of guards during raids by those pesky cleric-types.

Indoors, a lavish lobby with concessions is the first thing guests would see. Double doors open into a stage decorated by the same magnolias as outside. These magnolias never appear to wilt. The place is illuminated by pink-tinged flames within sconces along the walls of the theater. The theater features balcony and box seating, along with enough seating for around 400 people.

The theater has a lot more space than it would appear, as there is an underground section that houses unused equipment. The catacombs are also lined with nooks and crannies for Verdelet's summoned hordes to crawl up after use. It can be a bit of a shock to see a skeleton suddenly stretch out from the wall on its way to work, but most actors get used to it in time.

Despite the grandiose construction evident here, the location is not permanent. A 300 year license has been granted for using the theater, and 300 years is of no importance to a lich.

MEMBERSHIP

Members are all undead. The majority of the guild consists of a horde of risen skeletal bodies in various stages of decay, controlled by Madame Verdelet. She is the sole lead of the guild, financier and face of the troupe. She is a lich queen, necromancer and talented actress. The horde or "Crew" as they are called, are often seen managing ticket booths, cleaning up, running FX and stage props and even applying make-up for actors. They can be identified by their pink, glowing eyes or eye-socket flames.

Of course, the mindless horde is not a good substitute for real actors! Actors form the face of The Painted Veil, those capable of reciting lines and expressing themselves with actual emotion something that stands them out from the droves. They have their own rooms in the 'actor's lounge', their own costuming and plenty of adequate luxuries, provided they remain on-call and exclusive in their performances with the Veil. During performances, you can expect to see bright paints on skulls, heavy make-up on those with flesh, and ornate costuming sewn by the finest funerary tailors.

Finally, there is a more secretive group within the Painted Veil who are tied to the guild's sponsor, "Sam."‌ This part of the Painted Veil seem to be more interested in the internal affairs of the group. Their goals and dealings are conducted behind the shadows. Selling illegal substances, rare potion ingredients, along with conducting odd rituals. Madame Verdelet has her fingers in many pies, all in order to keep the Painted Veil afloat on some state of power.

AUDITION‌‌ NOW!

The easiest way to join the Painted Veil is to apply here with a character and where they are located. A private thread between Madame Verdelet and that character will be the "audition."‌ It is basically a pre-planned, very short 2-3 post thread showcasing the talents of the character auditioning. Basically just to see where your character's talents will fit strongest in ensuing guild threads. Get creative with your character's performance!

Spots in performance threads will be allotted by most fitting characters, but I‌ will of course try to give everyone shots in the limelight.

For those only interested in the "cult"‌ activities with "Sam,"‌ a simple PM‌ with your character is all that's really required. Appearances for these characters can range from private missions to initiations and of course, allowance to play background spots in performance threads (or if you want both then well, apply the same way as an audition and also send the PM‌ request for a cultist).

Higher ranks can be attained with frequent club participation. I will send you a PM asking you if you'd like your character in such rank prior to them receiving it.

CURRENT‌ RANKS

HIGH‌EST‌ RANK

Guild Leader:‌ Madame Verdelet
Sponsor:‌ "Sam" (NPC)

ACTOR‌‌ RANKS

Choreographer: TBA
Screenwriter:‌ TBA
Lead Cosmetic: TBA
Lead Dresser: TBA
Lead FX‌ Artist:‌ TBA

Poets:

Dancers: